• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
It COULD but it's unlikely. If someone enters 3/4 tourneys and wins 3, they have 3 points. They will be closer than the person who entered 4/4 tourneys, got 2nd 3 times and 1st once(7 points.)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Okay I'm down for RC and brinstar and ps2. I'm feeling flexible...

Could we get a MK scrooging rule though?
if mk is legal (id love for him to be banned) he needs to have the most powerful rules placed on him.

scrooging
lgl
stalling
plainking
no picking any CP stages

whatever it takes.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Perhaps you guys should be less concerned with point systems or rulesets right now and be more concerned with getting a lineup of consistent tournaments run by a group of TOs committed to improving the scene.

Xyro77

Perhaps you guys should be less concerned with point systems or rulesets right now and be more concerned with getting a lineup of consistent tournaments run by a group of TOs committed to improving the scene.
there are very very few TOs left. the ones who are left are all we have so that step^ is pretty much complete.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I agree with cam.

We know for sure, based off of this chat, we have

Me
Denti
Xyro

edit: IMO we need 2 head TO's to each city. So Houston could rock Xyro Sync, DFW could do Denti and ALSM if the convinced him or Dakpo if they convinced him or UTDZac if they payed him, Tyler could do me and Psychoace.

Edit: also don't forget the Ft. Worth Classics guy. he has optimism.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, I'm just giving my two cents from experience. I want to see you guys succeed. If attendance increases, you might try to find new TOs to host new events, or you could get players who will step up and teach them how to TO. You might also want to agree as a group what the overall goals are for the circuit. I know that sounds obvious, but it couldn't hurt.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If we use anything resembling APEX or SKTAR's rulesets, then count me out.
Nike said he was done after his last tournament (which he already posted info about) in February of next year, but I'm not sure how committed he was to that claim.

I ran a short series of tournaments back when Brawl first started, and a few when I played Melee. I wouldn't mind starting it up again here in San Antonio. It honestly can't be that difficult as long as you TO with an iron fist. :applejack:

Gea

Smash Master
Some one post a picture of gea plz
Wut.

And you guys should get some ruleset ideas and test them a bit before plastering them on a circuit. Imo the game could benefit from being two stock (3/5 sets if you are worried about consistency, but 2/3 should still get the same results. 3/5 with more stages and DSR also encourages larger stage variety). Also holy poop I looked up that ruleset. How jank can you get?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think people are overreacting a bit. Sync didn't advertise much yea, and I can see where he went wrong because with starting late. He might have been holding out, hoping more people might show up. He also might have been thinking that he didn't need to move very fast since it would still finish "on time" because it was such a small event.

Lack of hype/ not watching finals comes from stuff just being too familiar. I was entertained when I watch kilik vs jnig, kilik vs pj, jnig vs pwii and jnig vs razer. The last time I was entertained by matchups so familiar was hobo 38, but gnes/trela/razer have always been truly something to see. Most of the hype is going to come from uncommon interactions between people that dont play often and underdogs coming out on top.

@Razer, of course I'm gonna camp you. The pool of characters I can use involve killing you at 230% every stock(sonic), getting chaingrabbed by you (pokemon trainer) and air released to death at half my normal death percent (wario). Even if I only get to play every 3-5 weeks I'm still going to try to win.

Circuit doesn't have to come back, but TOs need to coordinate ALL THE TIME about events so you guys aren't always conflicting with each other. This region is really spread out and people aren't going to come to houston/dallas/tyler if they can go somewhere closer in the same week or so.

Streaming/recording videos does help get other people interested.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
The scene in Texas is dying.
Again, Austin is dead, SanAn is dead but could come back, Houston is dying.

A circuit will be mad helpful in bringing hype back to us.
We can do this.

:phone:

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't suspect a circuit will solve all of these problems, but it would help keep schedules consistent and tournaments reasonably spread out from each other. It would also bring some unity to the Texas scene IMO.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Xyro, setting up a system now to have consistent events could be an investment for the Smash 4 scene.

EDIT: Don't know why I said "like." That's exactly what it would be.

Xyro77

We need a new game to clean out all the current filth. Once that happens we can start anew!

Xyro77

I have a lot of respect for you, but I think you're wrong. I think waiting until Smash 4 comes out is short-sighted.
This exact same scenario happened around 07 when melee was the game of choice. Melee Events were few and far between an the morale was much lower than it had been. Brawl comes out and boom smash took over Texas by storm. Bigger and better than melee ever had.

Th exact same thing will happen again if a TO devotes himself to the next game.

Denti

Smash Master
if mk is legal (id love for him to be banned) he needs to have the most powerful rules placed on him.

scrooging
lgl
stalling
plainking
no picking any CP stages

whatever it takes.
lgl is for everyone. If you think he deserves his own then i'm fine with that.
40 for everyone or,
35 for mk and 50 for everyone.
That is generally fair and accepted.

I'm okay with him not being able to take him to counterpick stages and only nuetrals.

Considering nuetrals would we use 5 or 7? lylat or ps1 if we do 5? I want 7 honestly.

No scrooging. Just want them to lose a stock if they do it?

I agree with cam.

We know for sure, based off of this chat, we have

Me
Denti
Xyro

edit: IMO we need 2 head TO's to each city. So Houston could rock Xyro Sync, DFW could do Denti and ALSM if the convinced him or Dakpo if they convinced him or UTDZac if they payed him, Tyler could do me and Psychoace.

Edit: also don't forget the Ft. Worth Classics guy. he has optimism.
I don't think we need 2 TO's. People can use 2 TOs to improve the quality but it shouldn't be required. Will usually helps me run mine so I'm good.

I do think the fort worth classic guy is an idea... but honestly I duno if he's ready to be represented in a circuit by us. He's not really apart of the scene (He held that one tournament and that's the first and last time I saw him).

Espy just said he'd try if Nike said no. So SA is confirmed.

If we use anything resembling APEX or SKTAR's rulesets, then count me out.
Nike said he was done after his last tournament (which he already posted info about) in February of next year, but I'm not sure how committed he was to that claim.

I ran a short series of tournaments back when Brawl first started, and a few when I played Melee. I wouldn't mind starting it up again here in San Antonio. It honestly can't be that difficult as long as you TO with an iron fist. :applejack:
It's not that hard. Just try to get your region to show up and enter. I'll help you run things if you want.

Also for the region of Tyler. Is there anyone who could house people for your part of the circuit? This plays a massive role in people traveling.

We have Infinity's new house here... it's really big.

Houston has Sync's.

SA... Nike's? I'm sure he'd house even if he is done with Brawl now.

We have 4 regions. We probably will stop twice at Dallas and almost for sure we will start and end at Houston. If we do a tournament a month (the best strategy imo) this gives us 6 months.

Starting in:
1st Feb
2nd March
3rd April
4th May
5th June
6th July

Not quit what I had hoped for, but it's a thought.

Any other region ideas?
Austin imo isn't even on the radar to play Brawl.
Amarillo/Lubbock hasn't done anything in forever and lives near nobody.
Those people south of Houston don't do anything besides Zano.
Maybe we could do what apex does and have some qualifier in say Kansas to help raise interest. It will be filling and help raise the turnout of the championship. Plus DFW would go, and anyone from Houston could join the trip.

The point system is something that can wait to discuss until we get it started. Not too important. It just has to be fair and interesting to all.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
This exact same scenario happened around 07 when melee was the game of choice. Melee Events were few and far between an the morale was much lower than it had been. Brawl comes out and boom smash took over Texas by storm. Bigger and better than melee ever had.

Th exact same thing will happen again if a TO devotes himself to the next game.

Yes, that's true, but you guys could create a structure for the next Smash scene right now. You want to come out swinging when things are most hype because that's when a lot of fresh blood will be exposed to the scene. You want to hit the ground running rather than have a few new (or old) TOs fumbling around trying to get things organized and running into similar problems with scheduling that you guys are running into today.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
We have little housing options, but we can house.
My event will have to be the smallest. I'm assuming I have the smallest venue/least hype/less housing soooo.
Through me in the middle of it or something.

I like that schedule though, because it puts the Championships in the summer.

Nike.

Smash Hero
WTF at the number of posts in the past hour lol.

• C.J. (FL) wil be in Texas in Febuary, and I am CONFIRMED hosting a tourney while he's here. While I originally had planned to make it Nikefest 5, I'm open to saving N5 for a LCS2 (should it happen) and could just make that an epic smashfest or something.
  • I am obviously game for hosting a LCS2 Tourey in San Antonio.
  • Like Xyro said, this requires way more planning then spur-of-the-moment posts on the Houston Thread.

Xyro77

A ruleset with that many rules for one character is just as silly as the Apex ruleset.
People won't ban him so we are forced to restrict him.

@Cam

It's not that these guys are unorganized. It's that they don't want to cooperate. Too many TOs are selfish. This was the same thing that happened in the melee days. That's why when brawl came out I did my own thing and pushed mega hard on it. I made my events THE place to go. Later on they decided to work with me because if they didn't, people would pick my events over the rest. The Tyrant strat works well if u are cold enough. And they used to call me Mr Freeze in jail btw.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
@Cam

It's not that these guys are unorganized. It's that they don't want to cooperate. Too many TOs are selfish. This was the same thing that happened in the melee days. That's why when brawl came out I did my own thing and pushed mega hard on it. I made my events THE place to go. Later on they decided to work with me because if they didn't, people would pick my events over the rest. The Tyrant strat works well if u are cold enough. And they used to call me Mr Freeze in jail btw.

How so? I know very little about the TX scene, so you'll have to explain this to me. They seem pretty cooperative right now with regards to this planning. I mean, that may change, but I don't see evidence of selfishness right now.

EDIT: By the way, I highly recommend you guys solidify who is planning this circuit and make a Facebook group or something so all the planning doesn't get lost in the pages of the Houston thread.

Xyro77

Yea right now they will cooperate and yea maybe we will get a circuit going but the whole point I was trying to make is that NONE OF THIS REALLY MATTERS.

Our scene will never reach what we used to have in terms of hype and attendance. We must face the new norm which is lackluster at BEST. That is why I said we let it burn and restart with smash 4.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the people in here are cooperating, yeah, but that amounts to what, 10 people? It doesn't speak for the texas scene as a whole.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's not much, but I can help out with housing too if tournaments actually start happening frequently again.
I mean, most of the reason I didn't attend even 10 tournaments this year was solely cause of either no money or no ride. I still enjoy Brawl, just the same thing Espy mentioned two or so pages back is what ruins the game for me.

But to be honest, I have thought of hosting an event at my place. Not sure how that'd work out though since this is a small apartment.

the people in here are cooperating, yeah, but that amounts to what, 10 people? It doesn't speak for the texas scene as a whole.
You do know it took just 10 people for the last LSC to work out the way it did last year, don't you
New gen
?
May not be the whole Texas scene, but it still shows that we can possibly do it again next year and have decent attendance. Won't be as big as all the others having more than 35 in each tournament, but it's something instead of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom