• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOBO 12= NO METAKNIGHT! (the REAL results)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
yea im gonna make some changes to the stages. relax and gimmi a day or so.

heytallman

CTALL
I do not care about a list created by the likes of Overswarm and LeeHarris and other players that obviously shouldn't be in there. They made an extremely bad stage list that no TO in Atlantic North follows for very good reasons.

Do you honestly need stages like Corneria and Yoshi Pipes explained? Really?
Shut the f up. I love Corneria.

-Ran

Smash Master
Personally, I like the set up we follow in Louisiana. We utilize Stage Striking for the first match, and go from there. The limited counter picks allow for intelligent stage banning.

Starter:
Lylat, FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Delfino, and Castle Siege

Counterpick:
Halberd, Brinstar, PS1, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, and Pirate Ship.

Banned:
Everything else.

Amazingly, a lot of first matches end up taking place on Castle Siege and Delfino.

jog

Smash Journeyman
I do not care about a list created by the likes of Overswarm and LeeHarris and other players that obviously shouldn't be in there. They made an extremely bad stage list that no TO in Atlantic North follows for very good reasons.

Do you honestly need stages like Corneria and Yoshi Pipes explained? Really?
I <3 corneria

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Liking a stage doesn't make it viable in competitive play.

dmbrandon loves Wario Ware but he knows it sucks for tournaments.

I love Luigi's Mansion but it sucks for competitive play due to stalling and camping.

Oh well.

Ran Iji said:
Personally, I like the set up we follow in Louisiana. We utilize Stage Striking for the first match, and go from there. The limited counter picks allow for intelligent stage banning.

Starter:
Lylat, FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Delfino, and Castle Siege

Counterpick:
Halberd, Brinstar, PS1, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, and Pirate Ship.

Banned:
Everything else.

Amazingly, a lot of first matches end up taking place on Castle Siege and Delfino.
Interesting.

Typical Atlantic North stages:

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpicks:
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1

Really strict, as you can see.

heytallman

CTALL
Neat. However, this is not the North Atlantic, this is Texas, I don't see why you think we should conform to your rules, ya **** yank. I see that if the TO thinks the rules should be one way, let him host the tournament as he sees fit. If it includes Port Town, so be it, he can back it up (referring back to the SBR ruleset, which you seem to completely shun for your own reasons). If you don't like it, ban the stage or host your own tournament with your own rules that don't include the stage. Houston =/= Atlantic North.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Neat. However, this is not the North Atlantic, this is Texas, I don't see why you think we should conform to your rules, ya **** yank. I see that if the TO thinks the rules should be one way, let him host the tournament as he sees fit. If it includes Port Town, so be it, he can back it up (referring back to the SBR ruleset, which you seem to completely shun for your own reasons). If you don't like it, ban the stage or host your own tournament with your own rules that don't include the stage. Houston =/= Atlantic North.
I'm not talking about regions or anything like that. Get that through your head.

Those stages are very clearly either not viable for tournaments or extremely bad/luck-based. It's really obvious. It doesn't matter where you live or how much you like a stage. Something like Port Town has no place in competitive play.

The SBR ruleset is abysmal. Atlantic North, the area with the highest skill, shuns the list as a whole. Florida, a large and strong state, does not use the SBR's list. It's because the SBR is wrong. I just talked to Mew2King about the stages and he said he experienced some stupid stuff due to the stage rules and he saw some unfair things. =/

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Why can't we all just get along? :urg:
I don't know.

I already told you Inui, we have had this argument several times within our own state. Your opinion literally means nothing to us(sorry to be so blunt) considering how much we have argued over the stage. Almost everyone here agrees with the stage list for the most part so there really isn't a reason to change it.

I could sit here and argue with you about stages all night long, but there really isn't a point so let's just drop it.

I'm not going to try and convince your area to be less conservative if I go to a tournament there because honestly my opinion means nothing there as I don't live there.

Thanks.

Edit: Just for the lulz, I think Port Town is a horrible stage lol.

heytallman

CTALL
I don't know.

I already told you Inui, we have had this argument several times within our own state. Your opinion literally means nothing to us(sorry to be so blunt) considering how much we have argued over the stage. Almost everyone here agrees with the stage list for the most part so there really isn't a reason to change it.

I could sit here and argue with you about stages all night long, but there really isn't a point so let's just drop it.

I'm not going to try and convince your area to be less conservative if I go to a tournament there because honestly my opinion means nothing there as I don't live there.

Thanks.
^^^^This.

It's bedtime, and I'm tired of arguing, as neither side will probably give up. So good night.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I don't know.

Thanks.
I am extremely disappointed that Texas is this ignorant when it comes to stages. No offense, but it's the truth. If you're all cool with those stages, it's a sign of incredibly vast ignorance with regards to how extremely unfair those stages are. When you have gay players that will gladly run the clock and perform infinites for 8 minutes, you will agree with me and want those stupid stages banned. When the finals gets decided solely based on the cars on Port Town and not skill at all, you won't be happy.

Factually, they are simply not fit for competitive play. It is a shame that you guys allow such unfair stages. If I was in Ankoko's position, I wouldn't even consider your results valid in the character rankings due to those stages. >_>;

Despite my extreme dislike of the stage list and a very big and legit fear of doing poorly based on the incredibly bad stage rules and completely luck-based occurances on stages like Port Town and Pictochat, I will probably come to WHOBO anyways because I have family in Texas and Anime Matsuri was mad fun last time.

I hope Xyro77 and DugFinn can be convinced that those stages are terrible. I will try that in private, probably.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Only person that doesn't think Port Town is terrible is probably Xyro... still hella fun, but not a place I'd enjoy with money on the line. That said... I like NA's counterpick/neutrals list a lot... seems most fair. At the same time it's pretty limiting though... I mean, taking people to Green Greens is too good.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Only person that doesn't think Port Town is terrible is probably Xyro... still hella fun, but not a place I'd enjoy with money on the line. That said... I like NA's counterpick/neutrals list a lot... seems most fair. At the same time it's pretty limiting though... I mean, taking people to Green Greens is too good.
It's limited because we have extremely gay players.

Plank ran the clock on Luigi's Mansion a lot by pretending it was Hyrule Temple. This works and it's extremely gay.

Atomsk wall-infinited people forever on Corneria, Onett, and every other walled stage and got them banned. He basically got every wall/walk-off banned over here with his Dedede. We have players so gay that they will chaingrab against the wall until the clock runs out.

teh_spamerer got Norfair banned by showing us unstoppable ledgecamping stuff with Meta Knight and a few other characters. It's an extremely unfair stage.

These really gay players, as well as others, showed how unfair those stages and many others could be. Atlantic North has limited the stages a lot to put as much emphasis on skill as possible. Stages like Port Town and Pictochat add a vast amount of LUCK to matches, which isn't acceptable to us. Stages like Luigi's Mansion and Norfair turn tournaments into just campfests which ruins the game.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No one in Texas has stooped quite as low as those in the NA then... apparently there's still some semblance of fun left here.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Lol what doesn't ruin this game....
I haven't ran into a player to make it THAT gay yet....
You guys need teh_spamerer, Atomsk, and Plank. They would get all of those stages, as well as some techniques, banned very quickly.

No one in Texas has stooped quite as low as those in the NA then... apparently there's still some semblance of fun left here.
We have the best players overall and we play to win.

I am telling you right now, I will, with a smile on my face and with extreme joy in my heart, wall-infinite people with Dedede until the clock runs out, excessively ledgecamp on Norfair, go Snake on ******** stages like Green Greens and kill every character at extremely low damage and turn the stage into a gigantic constant exploding mess, etc. if people pick these stages on me.

Kira.

Smash Rookie
Results from a no-Metaknight tournament are obviously going to being in people from everywhere. lots of us are interested. And I'm especially interested in teams results :[
1st- my lucario and Lights Game and Watch.
2nd- Wotts ZSS and DPHATs Marth
3rd- Melle1s ice climbers and D4BA's Snake

there were actually a lot of different characters used by these teams but these seemed to be the main ones. I don't want to get in the middle of this giant teams being posted debate so hopefully im not pissing people off by posting the top 3 (i certainly don't mean to if i do) but it seems people wanna know and that's all i can remember. As far as the playing 1 match per set thing goes we never did that. Every match we played was a best 2 out of 3 but i cant speak for anyone else.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You guys need teh_spamerer, Atomsk, and Plank. They would get all of those stages, as well as some techniques, banned very quickly.

We have the best players overall and we play to win.

I am telling you right now, I will, with a smile on my face and with extreme joy in my heart, wall-infinite people with Dedede until the clock runs out, excessively ledgecamp on Norfair, go Snake on ******** stages like Green Greens and kill every character at extremely low damage and turn the stage into a gigantic constant exploding mess, etc. if people pick these stages on me.
And our players will happily play you on those stages with far more tournament experience on said stages :).

People have their own opinions you know. You said yourself that you are very conservative.

You might realize that winning isn't everything :).

complexity1234

Smash Apprentice
And our players will happily play you on those stages with far more tournament experience on said stages :).

People have their own opinions you know. You said yourself that you are very conservative.

You might realize that winning isn't everything :).
lol we'll see how long that happiness lasts until ..
.. do all the gay tactics that were mentioned.

Looks like you gota prove them wrong the hard way inui.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Guys, he does have a point, there really are some terrible stages that we have allowed. I've noticed how people are basically forced to ban certain CP stages just because his opponent is basically guaranteed a win if he doesn't. Stages that can (and do) go that extreme should not be allowed.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Inui I dont really see the need for you to come to another states thread and ***** about their rules. All it's doing to their state is giving them experience on those stages, there isnt a universal rule set that EVERYONE follows, so if they travel somewhere where these stages are legal for whatever reason, they know how to deal with it.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Guys, he does have a point, there really are some terrible stages that we have allowed. I've noticed how people are basically forced to ban certain CP stages just because his opponent is basically guaranteed a win if he doesn't. Stages that can (and do) go that extreme should not be allowed.
QFT. **** Port Town.

Anyways, there seemed to be generally positive responses for a tourney in December until it got engulfed into the stage argument faster than Hylian engulfs dr. pepper. So if people would be interested in a tourney on either Dec 13, 20, 27, let me know so I can go ahead and reserve one of those days from the college. I won't make any guarantees that I'll be able to have a tourney on those days, but I guarantee that I will try my hardest.

Btw, I don't think this will be a HOBO since Allan didn't want to have a tourney in December so this is the perfect chance to unveil my own series of tourneys, TASIMB.

There's A Snake In My Boot.

If someone could photoshop Snake's head coming out of a cowboy boot for the tourney's logo, that would be awesome.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Read ALL of the rules, please.
+

Please fly down to Texas and waste hundreds and hundreds of dollars to prove us wrong in a video game. It will sure teach us a lesson.
= LOL get wrecked. Yeah, we allow those levels, but we ban the techniques/strategies that make them unfit for tourney play.
Some stages are better than others, though. We are not
allowed to stall, and we are not allowed to infinite grab. I think
that takes care of most of it, yes?

Tallman, stop defending that level. GW can wreck our **** here.
:-D

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I hope Xyro77 and DugFinn can be convinced that those stages are terrible. I will try that in private, probably.
port town stays.

Heres why:

Car kill u a super low %s......so does snake. But honestly, you have to be a moron to ge thit by them. they WILL go by when the stage lowers.....common sense. There are times where the stage lowers but the cars dont come by..........simple way to deal with it.

A. learn the pattern(there is one)
B. Stick to the side of the stage untill the cars go by.

Some also complain that there arnt ledges.......remember old MUTE CITY in melee? yea u cant argue this one.

picto chat has 5-9(not sure of the exact number) harmfull formations out of 27 or 29. Again, easily avoided.

but over all, ill consider changing some of the stages. If you guys can deal with the camp king of all time(plank) then u can deal with simple levels.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
port town stays.

Heres why:

Car kill u a super low %s......so does snake. But honestly, you have to be a moron to ge thit by them. they WILL go by when the stage lowers.....common sense. There are times where the stage lowers but the cars dont come by..........simple way to deal with it.

A. learn the pattern(there is one)
B. Stick to the side of the stage untill the cars go by.

Some also complain that there arnt ledges.......remember old MUTE CITY in melee? yea u cant argue this one.
You're insane. You're just extremely biased towards the stage. It's obviously not valid for competitive play and you're the only person that has it on.

picto chat has 5-9(not sure of the exact number) harmfull formations out of 27 or 29. Again, easily avoided.
That's not the problem.

They are random with no pattern and can decide matches. You can't avoid them if they just appear where you are.

but over all, ill consider changing some of the stages. If you guys can deal with the camp king of all time(plank) then u can deal with simple levels.
Plank can't abuse his garbage because we banned those insanely unfair and unfit stages.

Stages and luck should not determine the results of tournament matches. Skill should.

Does that concept escape you?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
inui, take a hint you dip**** leave our thread go back to whatever region your from
lol

That's really going to convince me.

Sorry, but this concerns me because I'm going to Texas. It's also extremely disappointing to see such a huge region be tainted by luck-based and broken stages.

Sachi

Smash Rookie
I thought this was a results thread, not a debate thread.

Sadaharu Inui has a good point about the stages. Some of you guys are being *******s, its just an opinion. Get the hell over it and stop arguing.

Dojo

Smash Champion
He's the one that shouldn't be arguing. So he's got a good point? Perhaps for his region. If he want's us to change it. He can come with Plank, Atomsk, and whoever other person that plays this game like a douche and prove it to us.

This hasn't happened to us and until it does it probably won't change. I know I'm coming off as rude but **** give it a rest. If you don't like it, don't come. Simple as that.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
He's the one that shouldn't be arguing. So he's got a good point? Perhaps for his region. If he want's us to change it. He can come with Plank, Atomsk, and whoever other person that plays this game like a douche and prove it to us.

This hasn't happened to us and until it does it probably won't change. I know I'm coming off as rude but **** give it a rest. If you don't like it, don't come. Simple as that.
^this.

Stiltz, I would be down for a tourney on the 10th.

Top Bottom