• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitstun/shield stun Thread

matt4300

Smash Ace
:D THank You Osi! any chance you found any bowser combos >_>' mabye <_<' please T_T for the love of god. I cant wait to see some potential samus and ness combos i may not have found.

Osi

Smash Ace
:D THank You Osi! any chance you found any bowser combos >_>' mabye <_<' please T_T for the love of god. I cant wait to see some potential samus and ness combos i may not have found.
Samus can do some really awesome combo's with hitstun. I'm not the samus player that will be in the videos it's another one of the people from my crew. Same goes for ness, that's another guy too lol. I'll be the fox/falcon/marth/falco/jiggly in the video. I haven't really tried bowser much on brawl+... he's so hard for me to use well. If I pull off anything good and remember to save it there may be some link/sheik.

Same. Igglyboo told me today he will pick it up so hopefully it comes soon.,
Is igglyboo going to try and handle the edge code too? I saw in one of your posts he was going to try shield stun and power shield too, but I didn't see the edge code mentioned.

kupo15

Smash Hero
i didn't mention the ledges. Since I am asking him out of the blue, I decided it would be best not to overload him at once. I will ask for the ledges next.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Same goes for ness
Yeah, I messed around a little with Ness and he seemed like he could be a beast. Seeing how they are polishing up a grab release fix code he should be a heck of a lot better in Brawl+.

Alopex

Smash Ace
On the second match, kupo, was your opponent even trying to DI the YES! combo? Cause that looked ridiculously easy to pull off. If he wasn't DI'ing, then that makes sense. But if he was and that still got pulled off like that...

EDIT: Also, your Ike friend needs to be introduced to the Ftit.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Doesn't really look like he's even trying to DI the Uthrows. Should probably stop throwin out so many Fsmashes as well. Pretty good vids, although I don't know if I can ever go back to regular Brawl's floatiness unless it becomes the standard in Brawl+.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
I hate to say this, but Ike's combos look hella boring with your code set, Kupo. It's basically Fair, Fair, dash attack/Quick Draw.... and then he can't follow you anymore cause he's so slow.

I mean maybe it's a good thing, considering all of his moves kill you earlier now, but I'm just saying.

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
god i don't know about u guys, but we may have to go back to four stocks
its funny how the ike player misses almost all of his f-smash but the last one finally connects to win the match in the 2nd video.

overall though, i think we need to tone done the hitstun just a tad, maybe to 11.50%

you guys have to remember that slow and/or powerful characters are very limited on the combo potential

kupo15

Smash Hero
On the second match, kupo, was your opponent even trying to DI the YES! combo? Cause that looked ridiculously easy to pull off. If he wasn't DI'ing, then that makes sense. But if he was and that still got pulled off like that...

EDIT: Also, your Ike friend needs to be introduced to the Ftit.
Yea, he was DIing towards me.
Doesn't really look like he's even trying to DI the Uthrows. Should probably stop throwin out so many Fsmashes as well. Pretty good vids, although I don't know if I can ever go back to regular Brawl's floatiness unless it becomes the standard in Brawl+.
Well, I usually do a lot of down throws and if you mix up with the U throws, DI is used against him. He still needs to learn to predict what i might do a little better to DI better.
I hate to say this, but Ike's combos look hella boring with your code set, Kupo. It's basically Fair, Fair, dash attack/Quick Draw.... and then he can't follow you anymore cause he's so slow.

I mean maybe it's a good thing, considering all of his moves kill you earlier now, but I'm just saying.
Yea, hes a heavy powerful guy. His combos are naturally going to be hard and boring
god i don't know about u guys, but we may have to go back to four stocks
its funny how the ike player misses almost all of his f-smash but the last one finally connects to win the match in the 2nd video.

overall though, i think we need to tone done the hitstun just a tad, maybe to 11.50%

you guys have to remember that slow and/or powerful characters are very limited on the combo potential
Yea he needs to space f smash better or use faster kill moves. Trust me its not too much. This setting is really good. You have the combos from 12% but you have to pay more attention to damage, location, and positioning. I tried 11.5% and there was a big difference. Dont forget it was Ike against Falcon. Ike is easy to combo. Ill be playing with this and until it becomes easy, then ill try moving it down.

matt4300

Smash Ace
uhhh heres a thought if you would all stop playing as falcon, fox, and shiek comboing wouldent be easy, but yeh those where some cool matches i liked the second most becuase it wasent rediculously 1 sided. Still want to see what a good bowser main can do though >_>

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea, im starting to see these matches as one sided...he is just a replacement until i can get together with my better friends. Now you can see what I can do to a noobish-advanced-esq player, well see how that fairs against my melee friends.

And yea, ZSS, MK, CF, Sheik, and Fox are naturally going to be good comboers. No one has the versatility and options that they do as far as I see so far so just because they combo well, doesn't mean the stun is too much. And tbh, it seems like the stun we have now is slightly less than compared to melee. If you guys are so concerned with aerial defense that BAD gives (which with hit stun isn't really OP) then dont forget that you can AD out of the tumble and in melee you could not. So if you want to nerf BAD at all, I would suggest disabling AD from tumble

Osi

Smash Ace
yea, im starting to see these matches as one sided...he is just a replacement until i can get together with my better friends. Now you can see what I can do to a noobish-advanced-esq player, well see how that fairs against my melee friends.

And yea, ZSS, MK, CF, Sheik, and Fox are naturally going to be good comboers. No one has the versatility and options that they do as far as I see so far so just because they combo well, doesn't mean the stun is too much. And tbh, it seems like the stun we have now is slightly less than compared to melee. If you guys are so concerned with aerial defense that BAD gives (which with hit stun isn't really OP) then dont forget that you can AD out of the tumble and in melee you could not. So if you want to nerf BAD at all, I would suggest disabling AD from tumble
I totally agree, those 5 are just built to combo. Falco/marth/ness/lucas/pika/squirtle/charizard/dedede/jiggly/kirby/luigi/toon link/samus/peach also have some great combo ability now. The only characters I have been having issues to find much with on Brawl+ are link/bowser/ivy/ganon/zelda/ike, but that should be expected. I'm on 10% though, so I can't comment on 11.75%.

matt4300

Smash Ace
wtf man link and gannon are combo beasts with 11.75. and most chars that cant combo arent soposed to becuase there so strong >_> but yeh i guess those are empty words seeing as how if your not fast and cant combo in a smash game you get gang ***** by most of the cast and your low teir

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I played quite a bit today with 11.75% stun-- feels great. I agree Kupo, it's just the right amount of time to execute a combo. You have to be quick in your execution as otherwise you've lost your chance.

BTW, I'm really liking Falcon again now.. he was my main in 64, and Sheik as my main in Melee. It's really fun playing him now though, it's also rewarding for winning-- especially thanks to comboing.

BTW, my friend is so pissed about Sheik-- he was like "she's so ****ing g**... Then he went on to say that there's no way of avoiding her tilt lock and the sweet spotted Usmash. I don't get it though, he said this after 3 to 4 matches of playing characters that he doesn't normally play. He simply can't stick with one character for long... he always changes. Where as I, despite the fact that I main 3-4 characters, I can play only one for an entire day of playing, and be perfectly content. The downside to this for him is the fact that he has no real focus, no particular character that he hones his skill with. So while I increase the game of my top characters he has no top to fall back on-- then get's pissed. How can he expect to win with characters he doesn't play -- against characters that I know inside and out? It's unfortunate but he also hates hitstun, after I played Sheik he said "this is why I hate hitstun in Brawl-- you couldn't do this stuff in Melee" -- which by the way we didn't play on a competitive level. We didn't know about wavedashing and what not until later-- so I insisted that much of the combos were just as good if not better in Melee. Due to his stubborn mind set on hitstun, it's as though he refuses to try to get good with it. Where as I'm always learning new tricks. It sucks because he's the only friend I have who plays at a serious level.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Isnt 11.75% great?

You should tell your friend that its not hitstuns fault for sheik. You could do that in the regular game also. Tell him hitstun removed other gay stuff such as CGing. We should have a code to get rid of ftilt lock in some form.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Kupo, just wondering. What is your standard codeset (the one you enjoy playing on the most?)

I want to know because my friend (leafgreen386) is bringing brawl+ to a melee tournament on saturday, and I kinda want to "wow" them with the most fluid gameplay codeset that's out so far.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Isnt 11.75% great?

You should tell your friend that its not hitstuns fault for sheik. You could do that in the regular game also. Tell him hitstun removed other gay stuff such as CGing. We should have a code to get rid of ftilt lock in some form.
True, she was able to tilt lock in regular Brawl. Also, he recognizes the fact that the CGs are gone, as I play Falco. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to care.

kupo15

Smash Hero
^^Kupo, just wondering. What is your standard codeset (the one you enjoy playing on the most?)

I want to know because my friend (leafgreen386) is bringing brawl+ to a melee tournament on saturday, and I kinda want to "wow" them with the most fluid gameplay codeset that's out so far.
Here is what I use

No trip
Infinite replay
Auto l canceling
Hitstun 11.75%

11.75% code is added in the OP

True, she was able to tilt lock in regular Brawl. Also, he recognizes the fact that the CGs are gone, as I play Falco. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to care.
Thats really sad

matt4300

Smash Ace
I feel for ya man everyone i play with hates hitstun because of the combos and they just refuse to get better . stuborn ***** >_> i freakin main link jesus

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Still playing with 11% over here.
I may give 11.75% a shot, but 12% felt like way too much.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Still playing with 11% over here.
I may give 11.75% a shot, but 12% felt like way too much.
I have had positive feedback for 11.75% with several ppl so far. You should try it ^_^

I feel there is a hole in the graph. Like 11-11.5 the DI is too much for the hit stun. 12, the hitstun is a tad too much for the DI. 10%, the DI is somewhat equal with the hit stun but only for certain characters..

11.75%? Perfect!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I feel for ya man everyone i play with hates hitstun because of the combos and they just refuse to get better . stuborn ***** >_> i freakin main link jesus
Thats really sad
Yeah, hopefully he'll come around... I have no one else to play with. In addition, I don't know anything about the tourney seen in Mass, nor do I know how to find out. :(

I have had positive feedback for 11.75% with several ppl so far. You should try it ^_^

I feel there is a hole in the graph. Like 11-11.5 the DI is too much for the hit stun. 12, the hitstun is a tad too much for the DI. 10%, the DI is somewhat equal with the hit stun but only for certain characters..

11.75%? Perfect!
Yeah, I'd say it's pretty near perfect. There's no doubt that 10-11% is just too little to combo effectively. There's such a limited window. Also, I was watching some Melee Combo videos on the tube, and the hitstun looks fairly similar to 11:75%-- surprisingly it looked as though there was more hitstun in Melee. 12-13%ish? I'm not sure what to think about that...

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Woot Mario owns *** again!! ^__^

10rapingMarios
God, I love how much the game has changed now-- with the addition of all of these codes. Just a few months back none of this was possible. Now we have an entirely new game, so many times better than it's predecessor (Brawl) that's it's not even funny.

With that said, I love how every character has improved because of changes such as ALC, MAD, and hitstun-- truly awesome. I also love how you can create combos that lead into the jab locks, laser locks, etc. The game feels quite a bit more strategic now. Of course all of the locks CAN BE TECHED and thus avoided-- but let's face it, no1 is perfect. You will lock someone at some point.

Think of the changes for a moment.. Mario, Luigi... both became so great. Luigi can now combo into his Up+B, sweet spotting it for max knock back / damage -- which usually means a KO. Jiggles can combo into her rest, which is stunning, she's become so much more viable now.. it's great! Fox is now a candidate for top tier as his pillar is Godly. Sheik is also a candidate for top tier as she can combo to no end. I could go on, I could mention Marth and the fact that the Ken Combo is probably possible now-- that his tippers can be more easily landed as part of combos.. yada yada..

Every character is so much more fun to play now!! ;)

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
You cant tech footstools. Does this mean that all the old footstool "combos" are actually combos now?

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have a question that is not quite related to brawl+, but can you tech the fall that occurs when you are shielding on a platform and you get knocked off?

Top Bottom