• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hilt & Clowsui present: REVENGE - MIDWEST EAST V MIDWEST WEST ON STREAM 11:30 AM

Overswarm

is laughing at you
haha we dont need our 8 best to win

actually we could probably do 8 worst
I'll put down $100 dollars that if you let me pick your 8 and my eight that my eight will win.

You down?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
you're about to get the worst bracket of your life with a 3 seed y.b.m

also hylian could you please sticky this? <3 i disagree w/ your point about ease of seeding btw...midwest has enough close-skill players that there are a bunch of ties usually -.- not necessarily faster either, larger pools in theory SHOULD be equally efficient as smaller pools but they take forever because people just wander. stupid. then again arcade gauntlet should fix all our problems w regards to locating players...
Your point doesn't make sense broski. If there are ties they will happen regardless of how big the pool is. Larger pools make the bracket easier to seed because it auto-seeds the bracket. Just match the 1 to the 4 etc etc. If you only have 2 people getting out you have to either basically manually seed the bracket or just do it by 2 seeds which leads to lopsided brackets skillwise. Ideally, less the less pools the better up until certain point(that point being where you would differentiate seeds).

Having 2 pools, the probable two best players will be on opposite side of the bracket. With 4 pools, the top 4 players will be set apart. 8 pools top 8 players and so on. Problem with only 2 or 3 people getting out is that you aren't really seeding well with pools, which is what they are intended for. In the above case you would have first seeds fighting first seeds in round 2 as opposed to round 3 or 4.

If you need help making the pools let me know but it's pretty straightforward. Just put all the predicted first seeds on a list, then all the second seeds etc till you have 4 tiers. Place 2 of each seed in a pool and bam, instant fair pools. Ideally you want to have several people make the lists so as to avoid bias and ignorance.

I'm sure you already know a lot of this, just felt like elaborating for anyone who might not.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Umm.... *sees everyone saying they'll help out with TO'ing* umm...
:/
Leave it to the pros..
*coughcoughHILTcoughcough*
<3

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Edit: Nevermind

sneakytako

Smash Lord
My thoughts on this venue fee system:

I would be mildly upset if this wasn't in my hometown. If i had to drive miles and miles to get people to this tournament, only to be held up by traffic, irresponsible smashers, and other uncontrolable factors i would be mad i have to pay more money to enter. BUT if you consider it a reduction in fee rather than a penalty for coming late then maybe it would be easier to accept. I would advise you change the wording of the rule to reward people who make it easier on the TO rather than adding late fees, $10 isn't really out of the ordinary to charge for venue fee.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'll volunteer to be a pool captain for whatever pool I'm in. I always make sure to push people to do their matches at tournies.

:018:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
lol <3 jordan. Your help will definitely be appreciated. As much as you're willing to assist us with, we'll take you up on it. But like I said previously, I don't like asking too much of people because I always feel like I'm asking too much. But you're definitely a better TO than myself, so I take what you say to heart and not turn you down because of pride or some nonsense like that. The only other times your or Rauleen's help has been available to me has been the SiiS series, and, well... you know.

To those offering to help as pool captains, I appreciate it, guys. We may not use everyone, depending on how many offer, but it's good to know who's available and willing.
Umm.... *sees everyone saying they'll help out with TO'ing* umm...
:/
Leave it to the pros..
*coughcoughHILTcoughcough*
<3
Haha <3

We definitely be wanting some assistance in managing pools, though. And certain TOs that I know that I can count on, I will be.
My thoughts on this venue fee system:

I would be mildly upset if this wasn't in my hometown. If i had to drive miles and miles to get people to this tournament, only to be held up by traffic, irresponsible smashers, and other uncontrolable factors i would be mad i have to pay more money to enter. BUT if you consider it a reduction in fee rather than a penalty for coming late then maybe it would be easier to accept. I would advise you change the wording of the rule to reward people who make it easier on the TO rather than adding late fees, $10 isn't really out of the ordinary to charge for venue fee.
You're right in that the wording could probably be tweaked a bit. The way I see the system is, well, you could just not be allowed to enter the tournament whatsoever. If you're late, you're late, we have a tournament to run. Going to be talking to Chi about the rule a bit, both how it's worded and whether or not the rule itself should be tweaked. We'll get back to you soon. And keep the opinions coming, guys.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, I definitely have faith in Rauleen and/or Hylian with whatever they'd be willing to help with. But you know that, Rauleen <3 The two of you and Mr. Jacobson are people I know I could rely on if I have to.

QUIVO

Smash Master
So.. I just got a new job and generally have to work every Saturday night. I'm going to talk to them about not having to work this day...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Chi and I have talked about late registration. While we want to give players an incentive to make it on time, or rather, incentive to not show up late to registration, we understand that doubling what you would be paying for venue fee may be a bit too extreme for an event where pre-tournament housing won't be common.

We're reducing it to $3. If you show up to registration for singles or doubles late you will be required to pay this fee for us to work you into the bracket/pools. I'm hoping that nobody has to pay this so that we're able to have everything running efficiently.

Top Bottom