• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hilt & Clowsui present: REVENGE - MIDWEST EAST V MIDWEST WEST ON STREAM 11:30 AM

clowsui

Smash Legend
i'd rather have pool problems than bracket problems, because let's face it -- you have more chances in pools than bracket. jank pools don't happen with higher skill density, which this tournament seems to be shaping up to have.

also we would probably be pre-seeding for seeds 1 through 3, not 1 and 2. it'd certainly lend huge help to decreasing jank factor

48 man bracket has consistently shown itself to be a headache in my experience =/

Roller

Smash Legend
Say there is a "pool problem" and somebody is seeded incorrectly [no matter how hard you try, odds are this WILL happen in at least one pool]. A (possibly 2nd seed) player is going to be knocked out of the entire tourney as a result, instead of just one side of the bracket which would be the case in a bracket problem.

If given the choice between a somewhat unfair situation costing them a tournament, or costing them winners bracket... I think most people would be more understanding/less upset about the latter.

Just something to think about.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
In all honesty, 48 man bracket (three players advancing from pools) is something that will be considered. It hasn't been 100% tossed out the window, but we are leaning more towards 32. But feel free to give opinions. The main thing I'm hesitant about with only two people advancing, is that that three people could tie for first, and one of those three people that tied for first won't make it out of pools. But that just has to do with how ties are decided, and can also happen with three people that tie for second seed.

I am not turned away from 48 man brackets by the same reason others are. A lot of people say "well, I beat more people in bracket than X, why do we have the same placement?". It directly has to do with what you place in pool, but a lot of people don't understand this. A 1 seed is a lot more of a cushion than it would be in a 32 or 64 man bracket. If you get a one seed and go 0-2 in bracket, you get 33rd. If you were a two or three seed and go 1-2 in bracket, you get 33rd. But in while this may not look fair, the player that got the one seed actually went 1-2 as well, because of the bye.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I'm going to consider 48 man bracket and Chi and I are going to talk about it. You won't have a solid answer until it gets closer to the event (as I mentioned in my last post).

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I'd personally do 48 because alot of people would probably lose interest over the steep pools criteria. Nobody is really trying to play super stacked pools only to make 3rd seed and not make it out. I could see Top 2 in a series of pools like the ones at Pound or Apex, but for a tournament that's like a regional, it would be best to follow through with something that's kinda standard.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
I'd go 48 as well, depending on # of people that show. Top 2 being the only players that make it out seems like a rather small number, especially considering how stacked this tourney looks like it's shaping up to be.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's a lot better for seeding purposes to have more people get out of a pool. Instead of having 2 or 3 get out of a pool, having 4 or 6 getting out of much bigger pools gives more accurate seeding and makes the bracket easier to seed as well. The point of pools isn't to cut down the amount of entrants, it would just be faster to do a straight up bracket in that case. The point of pools is to seed, and when you are only getting 2 seeds from pools then there really wasn't a point to doing them in the first place.

clowsui

Smash Legend
We'll talk about it. I'm not entirely opposed to 48-man (osrry if it seemed like it), I've just had bad experienecs + jaded by sandbaggery

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I'm not having a change of heart this time Chi. Sorry bro. I'm not going to be the one to keep putting my car up for all the wear and tear of long trips and since nobody else will do it I guess MD/VA ain't heading OoS as much as before.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm not having a change of heart this time Chi. Sorry bro. I'm not going to be the one to keep putting my car up for all the wear and tear of long trips and since nobody else will do it I guess MD/VA ain't heading OoS as much as before.
So are you still going to this?

I'd drive a 4 hour trip as would a few other Md/Va drivers, but 8 hours is quite a long time to drive by comparison.

:018:

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
So are you still going to this?

I'd drive a 4 hour trip as would a few other Md/Va drivers, but 8 hours is quite a long time to drive by comparison.

:018:
^what roller said

8 hours isn't **** and you guys need to stop being B****es and Man up.

HELL YOU DRIVE TO SEE CAITIE IN CHARLOTTE and thats at the very least 6 hours and 30 mins

either way I don't have a problem driving anyone elses car for 8 hours and they just sit and sleep or whatever they want (I am the best driver in MD/VA hands down) but I'm not going to keep putting MY CAR up for the trip everytime.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
8 hours isn't anything compared to some of the drives I've made lol.

It's a lot to do often but just for a tournament not bad.

:phone:

BPx

Smash Lord
I mean my trip was 13 hours each way to SiiS6, luckily I could meet up with everyone in StL, but I had to drive there(6 hours) by myself and in my car... :/

iowa y

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
We'll talk about it. I'm not entirely opposed to 48-man (osrry if it seemed like it), I've just had bad experienecs + jaded by sandbaggery
Yeah, but by trying to cut out the sandbaggery, you're giving the D to all the 3rd-4th seed players who could have a chance to make it out. I know it's not a charity case but it does work out for the turnout and the likelihood of future attendance.

clowsui

Smash Legend
we're DEFINITELY not doing 64 man. unless the attendance goes up like crazy.

but 48 man we will consider as the attendance list becomes more solidifed

clowsui

Smash Legend
Sorry to seem so wishy-washy but tentatively we've come to a verdict.

72 people or greater:
16 pools. Top 3 advance.

Ex: 72 means 8 pools of 4, 8 pools of 5. The pools of 4 will naturally be "harder" than the pools of 5.

71 people or less:
8 pools. Top 4 advance.

In other words,
We will now be running a 48-man bracket if it's 72 people or greater.
We will be running 32 man bracket if it's 71 people or less. However, top 4 will advance so this clears the issue.

We prematurely announced the 32-man without (seriously) considering 48-man. My deepest apologies to all attendees -- and deepest gratitude to those who raised their concerns.

Naturally, this also means that you all -- that's right, you the attendees -- have an even stronger responsibility now to intelligent decisions regarding your participation in the tournament. That means PLAYING YOUR POOLS MATCHES IN A TIMELY FASHION. That means PLAYING YOUR BRACKET MATCHES IN A TIMELY FASHION.

I have had a curse with 48-mans; every single one that I've been to or run myself has had a terrible efficiency problem. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again :(

Roller

Smash Legend
No need to apologize, lol. You saw what the community wanted and were man enough to go back and change what you initially said accordingly. I see that as a positive quality in a TO. Good stuff Chi!

Hype for this!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I mentioned awhile back that I'm going to be talking to certain people about assisting Chi and myself in TO'ing, since we're definitely going to need the help. In addition to this, though, we're going to be wanting to have pool captains that watch over feir pool, helping us make sure everything runs as it should. We won't be needing too much help in this (as I said awhile back, I'm not entering singles, so I'll be watching over everything myself), but it'll definitely be good to have a few hands on deck.

If anyone would be up to helping out in this, please let us know. But only if you 100% are willing to help. This will just be your own pool, we won't need you to run around the venue or anything. I don't like asking too much from those assisting me. But if you'd be up to assisting as a pool captain, just say the word. We'll get back to you on what we'd like to make sure gets done.

clowsui

Smash Legend
off the top of my head i would like to see pool captains consistently reporting on their pool efficiency, making sure that they know where the pool sheet is + it's well updated, occasionally bringing the pool sheet back to the TO desk when they're not playing and other players are in the middle of their set(s) so that we can enter results

but we'll get into that more formally later

IN OTHER NEWS WIIS PEOPLE WIIS WE NEED WIIS

AND A FEW MORE TVS BLARGHFLARGALARBGAH

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yay at top 4. Trust me it makes seeding a lot faster, easier and more accurate.

I am bringing a wii, possibly a tv but I doubt it. Depends on how many people go with us. I also help run whatever.

clowsui

Smash Legend
you're about to get the worst bracket of your life with a 3 seed y.b.m

also hylian could you please sticky this? <3 i disagree w/ your point about ease of seeding btw...midwest has enough close-skill players that there are a bunch of ties usually -.- not necessarily faster either, larger pools in theory SHOULD be equally efficient as smaller pools but they take forever because people just wander. stupid. then again arcade gauntlet should fix all our problems w regards to locating players...

Top Bottom