• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Who Won Many Matches Lost Many Matches

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Losing. No one likes it. No one might ever like it. Some may take up the loss and consider it. Others may lose and not even consider it. Losing is something we fear, because if we lose, we find ourselves to be lacking. Lacking in what? Skill? When one loses, it depends on how that person will react that determines whether losing will affect him. Perhaps the person who lost doesn't care, simply because she plays casually, rather than competitively. Whatever the case, some can overcome their loss better than others. When it comes to playing a game, it depends on what one makes of that game that will affect the person. Whatever way you react to your loss, you know that you have lost at a game. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB hereafter) isn't any different.

I have had my shares of losing. Sure, it was on Wi-Fi, or it was when I was playing SSBB with my brother, Uffe. It sucks. What happens when you lose is that your confidence is affected. Perhaps you're not better than your friend or opponent at a tournament. It doesn't feel good. You can try to shake it off and say, "Well, at least I tried my best." With some, this works. With others, this is just a mask. It depends on what you make of it. If you truly think you did your best, then that's good. It simply shows that you are determined to get better. If you say, "Well, at least I tried my best," but you think you suck, then that, my friend, is the kind of attitude that will not get you anywhere. If you are truly serious about getting better at SSBB, let alone any game, you will have to take up that loss and consider it. When you consider it, you haven't lost anything but the match. In fact, you have gained something: experience.

Let's say that you didn't lose the match. You would have still walked off with experience, right? But ask yourself, How many people who win will walk off and consider the match that he or she has played? Maybe your name will be remembered. Maybe the person you lost against will tell others, if you are brought up, "Yes, that person was very good. He was worth my time." Will the winner consider what else he or she could have done? The winner walked off with the prize money, but because the winner has won the match, I don't think he or she will consider what else he or she could have done to have, say, avoided the spammed attack. The winner could rest easy, getting the sense of feeling unstoppable. It's only when he losses the match that he will have to rethink the way he plays and why he lost the match.

Perhaps you play as a character, and you think that character is limited. Maybe this is why you think you lose. Make no mistake, my friend. You could have three attacks, and you could still win. Two to chip away at your opponent, while the third to KO him or her. The limitations don't happen with the character, but with the player. You might have to put a little bit more effort than your opponent, but other than that, you have the possibility of winning. Say you and your opponent played the same character. Then both of you are aware of what your opponent can do, and both of you know how to use that specific character. What makes you different from your opponent? It's not your character, but the way you play, that makes you win. If you lose at a tournament, don't complain. Instead, take your experience and learn from it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
"You won't win a fight if you aren't willing to get hit."

Sometimes, it's the fear of losing that keeps one from winning.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Losing isnt fun but you need to lose a lot before you can start winning. You get better by being owned by pros and eventually you learn to play better to compete with them.

This one guy I know never enters anything and only plays against us even though he has a very good bowser. Hes just scared of losing.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Win or lose you should always reflect on the match, at least pertaining to tournament play. At least thats what I think. Needless to say I agree with you fully, the loser will most likely reflect longer and more in depth.

Anyway it was a good read. Kudos!

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Isai's advice is not to get hit, but i guess beinng willing to get hit and getting hit are different? maybe.
there are certain situations where you will inevitably get hit. Sometimes its really a deision as to whether or not you tank that unavoidable Fsmash or dodge the smaller punches.

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm surprised not many people have responded. Honestly, when I lose, I just tell myself, "Do better next time."

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Isai's advice is not to get hit, but i guess beinng willing to get hit and getting hit are different? maybe.
Yes it is.

If you're not willing to get hit, then psychologically, the first hit you take can mess you up badly.

However, if you are willing to get, but you don't get hit, then you just don't get hit. You eliminate the fear of getting hit, and then you don't get hit.

It's kinda weird, but it makes sense... I think.... who knows?

Well, in Smash, don't get hit.

In real life, be willing to get hit, because you can't not get hit. Everyone gets hit.

Playing against Ice Climbers? Don't get grabbed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Isai's advice "don't get hit" applies to a game where getting hit can mean certain death. It's not exactly applicable in a game much more attrition-heavy than Smash 64.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Excellent post, Dryn. Anyone who's ever lost in a tournament should take note of this if they haven't already.

Dumah

Smash Cadet
You eliminate the fear of getting hit, and then you don't get hit.

It's kinda weird, but it makes sense... I think.... who knows?

Well, in Smash, don't get hit.

In real life, be willing to get hit, because you can't not get hit. Everyone gets hit.
If you're willing to take a punch in a fight, you're an idiot. Brawl is not real life. I'm not trying to flame you or anything, it just bugs me when people try to draw similarities from video games to real life (not that you do that). Whether it's taking a move from a fighting game and assuming that would work in reality, or playing a strategy game and claiming to have some kind of knowledge in military strategy is both astoundingly ignorant, and insulting. Again, I'm not attacking you here, just expressing my opinion on a sentence or two.

The majority of my losses in Brawl, all have to do with balance. The game is broken enough that a lesser skilled opponent can win by abusing a few moves. Namely chain grabbing. That gives a huge edge to your opponent, and unless you are significantly better then your opponent, you'll lose. It's been a rare occurance that somebody beats me without spamming, camping, or chain grabbing. When it happens, I look forward to playing them again because that is where this game shines. When you get together with some friends (online or off) and you're all playing with skill and a competitive nature, it doesn't even matter who wins or loses anymore because the fun that's being had through the competition alone is enough to keep me hooked on this game.

Losses happen in Brawl not because you're afraid of losing, or afraid of getting hit. It's because you're less skilled then your opponent, or he's abusing a very overpowered move.

Alas. Such is the life of Brawl.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's still something I have a hard time with. I lost many time to a friend once. He beat me more than I could count, but I only won once. He said it was twice, since I should've won against his Ice Climbers on Yoshi's Island. It was devastating for me, because I felt like I wasn't good at the game. Even today, because of what happened before, I am sometimes anxious to go one-on-one against my friend, despite the fact that I have won many times. I think it's just something everyone needs to be reminded of when they lose.

Dumah

Smash Cadet
I think the reason you may get nervous is because you remember the losses more then the wins. Everybody does. We all remember the hard losses that caused us to rethink whatever we were doing, or good at etc. So it's no secret that a failure is in fact what allows you to succeed. If you don't recognize where you went wrong, you'll never realize how to win.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Well, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it matters that you stomp their tail in the dirt no matter what.

I've won so many matches in my life, but I've had my share of EPIC FAILURES.
Seriously, I found out the hard way that DK was as fast and hard to approach as Snake.
I lost so many times, but what matters was that I didn't give up.
With every loss, it added onto my anger.
And that caused my downfall, as I was attacking blindly.
Not to mention I had been on a sugar rush.
But I DID beat him once, and that's all I care about (but not in a n00bish sort of way).

Many factors can cause you to lose.
But many can cause you to win.
I lost simply because I wasn't paying attention, attacking everywhere I could.
But, if I had the same anger, but I thought my moves out, I could've killed him easy.

Learn your opponent and yourself, it makes it a lot easier to stay calm and still beat the crap out of your foe.

And don't let losses get you down.
When that happens, you begin to slack.
And that's BAD (in case you didn't know >_>).
Stay at the top of your best possible game, and let nothing hinder you.

I dunno if all that had ANYTHING to do with the topic, but yeah.
Whatever.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Isai's advice "don't get hit" applies to a game where getting hit can mean certain death. It's not exactly applicable in a game much more attrition-heavy than Smash 64.
I whole heartedly agree. In Melee and especially Smash 64, getting hit = death combo = -1 stock.
In Brawl, you can get hit all day and survive to 150% on every stock. I think the mantra for Brawl players should be "hit them more than they hit you".

Hype

Smash Lord

The majority of my losses in Brawl, all have to do with balance. The game is broken enough that a lesser skilled opponent can win by abusing a few moves. Namely chain grabbing. That gives a huge edge to your opponent, and unless you are significantly better then your opponent, you'll lose. It's been a rare occurance that somebody beats me without spamming, camping, or chain grabbing. When it happens, I look forward to playing them again because that is where this game shines. When you get together with some friends (online or off) and you're all playing with skill and a competitive nature, it doesn't even matter who wins or loses anymore because the fun that's being had through the competition alone is enough to keep me hooked on this game.

Losses happen in Brawl not because you're afraid of losing, or afraid of getting hit. It's because you're less skilled then your opponent, or he's abusing a very overpowered move.

Alas. Such is the life of Brawl.
I disagree with some of what your saying. it seems like your saying spamming, camping and chain grabbing is unfair. Spamming, or using the same move over and over again hardly give you an advantage, If I know what someone is about to do there is always something I can do about it. when you say camping i'm not sure if your refering to camping with projectiles or zoning, both are fair game. projectiles and chain grabs are part of a character, they're nice to have but thats not what makes an amazing character, MK has neither.

I disagree with the statement about you have to be significantly better than someone to beat them if they have a chain grab. they are not that unstoppable. I'm not saying "don't get grabbed" because everyone obviously gets grabbed sooner or later but, if you know they are trying to grab you be able to rack up quite a bit of damage when you know whats coming.

How can you say that a reason for losing is becasue someone is abusing a powerful move. If I played snake i'd be a noob not to use ftilt. If i played MK it be a noob to never use tornado. if someone is limiting their choice of moves because they think that its "too good" or "cheap" then they are being a noob.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Thank you for this read. Never thought to take my wins as a learning experience as well.

Fletch

Smash Master
This. Brawl is a completely different game with basically no combos, so getting hit isn't that big of a deal so long as you hit your other opponent more. In SSB64, one hit could equal death.

I whole heartedly agree. In Melee and especially Smash 64, getting hit = death combo = -1 stock.
In Brawl, you can get hit all day and survive to 150% on every stock. I think the mantra for Brawl players should be "hit them more than they hit you".
Or camp more than they camp you.

PCHU

Smash Lord
This. Brawl is a completely different game with basically no combos, so getting hit isn't that big of a deal so long as you hit your other opponent more. In SSB64, one hit could equal death.

Or camp more than they camp you.
Camp more?
Change that to "Whoever thinks more".
Seriously, if I'm playing against a player with the same skill as me, but he/she doesn't think things through, then wouldn't it be obvious that I am the winner?
Brawl is all about approaching and reflexes.
Predicting your opponent is key in a game where one fsmash can kill you at 60% and less.

I predict, and that's how I land most of my fsmash kills with Ike.
Metaknight?
I laugh.
His approaches are easy to see.
If he retreats?
What do I care, I can prepare another attack.

The thing here is to attack when they least expect it.
As soon as you know their apporaches, you can find out when you need to attack and what you use.
And when it's time to put this to use, be careful.
Out-predicting does happen.

All in all, make a plan, but come up with multiple back-up plans in case that one fails.
The unexpected does come, so you need to be prepared for disjointed hitboxes and setups.
Hitstun DOES still exist-- USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

Everyone thinks that Brawl is all about camping.
Camping is for scouts, and we are Brawlers!
Prove the mindset of Brawl = camping WRONG by going after your opponent with a good approach that they least expect.
But, at the same time, you should be prepared for surprises as well.

Tl;dr version: Use your brain, it comes in handy.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
"You won't win a fight if you aren't willing to get hit."

Sometimes, it's the fear of losing that keeps one from winning.
Yeah...But if you are willing to get hit, Make it so your opponent gets the most damage, or for spacing or strategic reasons.

Dont jump into the ****

PCHU

Smash Lord
The tactical boards really can turn any thread into a Melee vs Brawl discussion. >>
Did I accidently mention Melee vs. Brawl?

Anyways, I'm glad someone took the time to read my post.
Usually people ignore the wall of text people.....

But people need to read them.
Most WOTs are helpful, and people should take time to read them.
It can change your entire view of smash, depending on the intelligence of the person.....>_>

Top Bottom