• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever used a different video game to help you learn something in Melee?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I remember back when I couldn't dashdance to save my life. When I was playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and I was on a menu of some sort, I'd just mash the control stick back and forth and if it moved up or down an option I knew I wasn't doing it right.

Right now I'm playing Tales of Symphonia II: Dawn of the New World, and am using cut-scene time to figure out the best path for the control stick to move so I can moonwalk the farthest, and then practicing doing that path perfectly and quickly.

Does anyone else do something like this?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
oh lawd, i probably cant even list all the things i learned from other games. I probably dont remember them all >.>

I've used

GGAC May to teach me how to play defense by moving.

SFIII:3s (Really, 2I) Shotos to give me some other ideas of playing DOc like shotos (dashing in and out of ranges)

SC Talim to more ideas of how to play a character with overall average speed and ****ty range

SC Cassandra to learn different variations of punishing

CvS2 Roll Canceling to learn the definition of "retardedly safe"

MB:AC Kohaku to learn how to correctly play "The character with range", and how to fight one (a good majority of my mains are ironically the characters with bad or the worst range in their games)

MvC2 Jill to learn the definition of "Limited"

(oh this one is pretty hilarious, i didnt catch this for a while)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Sports Challenge to learn how to break grabs. I used to be so ****ing beastly at that game (still am), and didnt realize that being good at that game helped. XD

__

I gotta dig around through my games to see what else, i know there are some more. >.>

Zjiin

Smash Master
Guitar Hero conditions your right hand to react at equal timing as your left for sync purposes. It has been known to throw off smashers who use the L button to perform ATs.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I have the opposite scenario. I was using things I've learned in Smash in other games. I was playing MGS1 the other day, and I was focusing on spacing my Jabs and Kicks so I stayed at the best range from Liquid.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
Watching competitive Tekken matches helped me understand how important it was to space my attacks when I was a complete noob in Smash.

Eaode

Smash Champion
My friend learned to chaingrab in Melee from Brawl, xD. Easy mode ftw?

Off-topic: In SCII, with Link you can do the motion for Wavedashing (x -> R w/ directional input) and he'll cancel his kick animation by blocking, but still let out a grunt as if he were wavedashing. Just thought you guys might like to know this lol.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
every game builds your overall game awareness, therefore the more video games you play, the better youll be at any video game
True. I've played so many video games that i frequently pick up easily on other games and can beat people relatively quickly at a game they've played for longer by adapting faster than they can.

lets see,
SSb64 taught me to dont get hit :laugh:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I was playing Smash 64 all day one day as C. Falcon, and when I switched to Melee, I was landing straight perfect knees for 4 stocks in a row. o.O I wish I could relive that moment, it was wild.

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
Guitar Hero doesn't really help melee that much imo. It's just muscle memory that's different from the way melee is.

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
why do you sound so dumb coreygames? how is guitar hero muscle memory using all those fingers pressing downward like the guitar the SAME as melee whereas on the gamecube controller, it's completely different type of tech skill

get ***** kid

Corigames

Smash Hero
Excuse you Mr. 09 (wow, been saying 08'ers for a whole year now :D )

Have you ever seen grandpa play a videogame? Yeah, slow. Guitar hero helps that. Learning to L-cancel, WD, SWD, any other ****ing AT in the game is ALL MUSCLE MEMORY. You can't tell me that you are actively thinking of the step-by-step process of preforming a wave dash every time you do it.

Oh, and why do I sound dumb? Because I'm making you have to explain your stupidity.

Get intercourse some time soon nerd. And, no, **** doesn't count.

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
no you sound ******** because what you are saying is actually STUPID

look at this kid

you have a guitar hero controller, and here you have a gamecube controller

HOW IN YOUR LITTLE MIND DOES THE TECH SKILL PRACTICE COMPARE when

1. (guitarhero) you are pressing them with just the left hand fingers without a control stick
2. (melee) you are using your right hand to manuever differently with c stick, y/x, the motions themselves don't even correlate with the guitar hero

please don't further display your stupidity and your so called '06' stance because it's absolutely ********, i feel sorry for you

DippnDots

Feral Youth
no you sound ******** because what you are saying is actually STUPID

look at this kid

you have a guitar hero controller, and here you have a gamecube controller

HOW IN YOUR LITTLE MIND DOES THE TECH SKILL PRACTICE COMPARE when

1. (guitarhero) you are pressing them with just the left hand fingers without a control stick
2. (melee) you are using your right hand to manuever differently with c stick, y/x, the motions themselves don't even correlate with the guitar hero

please don't further display your stupidity and your so called '06' stance because it's absolutely ********, i feel sorry for you
I miss the rep button :(

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, I'm not making myself look ridiculous so I will continue to rebuttal until I start catching myself do so.

Every game has some characteristics that translate into other games. Some may argue FPS teach you twitch reflex, RTS teaches you strategy, etc. When you play guitar hero on higher levels, you have to pick up on the traits of the game. You have to understand AND preform it's ATs to just survive. If you start to **** up, you are ruined. It's all about staying in control. You have to deal with getting hammered with a lot of **** at high speeds with loud music in your ear.

That game trains you to think and react quickly to events, stay controlled in order to succeed, and gives you a much faster hand to work with. This game trains you physically and mentally for Smash games and I understand why a lot of Smash players use it. Does that mean it's the best for getting ready to play Smash competitively? Not necessarily. But it has quite a few reasons as to why it is a good choice.

Also, if you want to be a whiny prick about it, you can play guitar hero on a controller if you feel the need to fine tune your fingers I suppose.

One other thing:
Since when is it acceptable to enter into a community that you are absolutely new too and start explaining to people that have been there significantly longer than you have that their knowledge is less useful than your own? What, are you smarter because you called me dumb, told me to get *****, said I was ********, and try to belittle me by calling me a kid? Wow, impressive. On top of your childlike attitude towards me, you have perfectly showcased exactly why this community is slowly sinking. The great incline in absolutely fowl children infesting the boards these days is a deadly cancer. I wish that the minority of upstanding 08 and 09ers were the majority.

Also, good job at ignoring that I said that Melee does use muscle memory like you claim it doesn't.

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
I called you that because you acted like one, that's all. Good explanation, I'm not completely disagreeing, however, I still don't believe the muscle memory is the SAME as the one it is in melee.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Well, I'm not making myself look ridiculous so I will continue to rebuttal until I start catching myself do so.
You did a couple posts back and this one didn't help your cause either. While you just whopped up an overwhelming paragraph of "rebuttal", you're forgetting the fact that mr. 09'er stated the muscle memory is different, and didn't touch on "staying in control" or stress / pressure, so you're arguing his point with a completely different argument.

Since when is it acceptable to enter into a community that you are absolutely new too and start explaining to people that have been there significantly longer than you have that their knowledge is less useful than your own? What, are you smarter because you called me dumb, told me to get *****, said I was ********, and try to belittle me by calling me a kid? Wow, impressive. On top of your childlike attitude towards me, you have perfectly showcased exactly why this community is slowly sinking. The great incline in absolutely fowl children infesting the boards these days is a deadly cancer. I wish that the minority of upstanding 08 and 09ers were the majority.
Dude, he's from New Jersey, you lose for taking his **** talk to heart, I guess telling a NERD TO HAVE INTERCOURSE is much more mature than being told to get *****. Furthermore, you just grouped him into the prejudice you have for new members because he argued with you. Cry more.

Edit: to be on topic. SONIC SPINBALL taught me to stay out of lava on brinstar because water and stuff kills sonic

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well constantly playing Street Fighter helped my reflexes a bit after playing Melee for the first time as well as spacing.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I owe my "getting into the zone" ability to playing CS, cal IM. And recently i've been much more, i wonder if cautious is the right word, but overall aware and don't get caught up in my own flood, owe that to DOTA :D

MeleeOnly

Smash Cadet
i think a big factor with melee is that camera changes are constant, i don't see that in other games as much and in melee, when things are going redunculously fast...the screen goes rawful

DrewB008

Smash Lord
muscle memory isnt universal

having really good handwriting isnt gonna make you good at smash, coreygames is wrong on that one. guitar hero may give you fast fingers, but it doesnt do anything for your thumb. the right hand motions are done with the whole wrist too, so that doesnt count either.

and the other thing is that anybody who is actually really good at guitar hero more or less has the songs memorized, i know some people play the songs without looking at the screen. that has nothing to do with reaction or adaptation

it doesnt matter how long youve been a part of a community if youre wrong/right. that is the dumbest point to make in any argument ever, and everytime somebody uses it they look insecure and unable to actually defend their points

Eaode

Smash Champion
If you really want to raise your tech skill, just pick up Fox, you'll be forced to. Some people joke about it, but it works. That's what I did xD.

DRD

Smash Lord
Agreed

and the other thing is that anybody who is actually really good at guitar hero more or less has the songs memorized, i know some people play the songs without looking at the screen. that has nothing to do with reaction or adaptation
It depends on the type of GH player you are. Me, I'm good at Guitar Hero (passed ttfaf ****ers) but I can't play a song for 3 secnds without failing if I'm not looking at the notes as they come down. There is a correlation between this and whether a person does better or worse with Hyperspeed on. Personally I play GH with hyperspeed set at 3 or 4, which means the notes come down much faster, but are spaced out more (for those who don't play). I play on reaction and impulse. Other players who are just as good or better play on normal speed, where in complicated passages the notes are closer together, but coming down more slowly. They have to rely on muscle memory more than I do because they have less time to look at those squished together notes and make sense of them. In this aspect, the faster the notes come down in hyperspeed, the easier it is to play.

Sorry for the GH rant, I like the game

Anyways, I don't think I've ever specifically used another game for the sole purpose of enhancing some skill in melee. It'd never occurred to me. Guitar Hero doesn't help my melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
having really good handwriting isnt gonna make you good at smash, coreygames is wrong on that one. guitar hero may give you fast fingers, but it doesnt do anything for your thumb. the right hand motions are done with the whole wrist too, so that doesnt count either.
That is your opinion.
it doesnt matter how long youve been a part of a community if youre wrong/right.
If you had to have surgery, would you ask for the doctor who just became licensed that month or would you go with someone who has been doing it for 2 years and 4 months now? You are not being unfair by going to someone with more experience. It's safer.
My point is why is the doctor that just became licensed that month talking down to the one that has been one for 2+ years with practically no explanation? That doesn't make any sense to me.
that is the dumbest point to make in any argument ever, and everytime somebody uses it they look insecure and unable to actually defend their points
I think I did a fine job with a solid 3 paragraph post highlighting all of my points. I think your generalization of the whole argument is more unreasonable than the argument itself. Do you honestly think there is equality between someone new and someone old in every situation? If so, that is just hopeful naive thinking and not true. Please don't try to liable me because I talk down to new people with big mouths. It doesn't make you nor I more credible.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Guilty Gear really helps me with Smash. If you can do the technical stuff in that game, then Smash's stuff seems incredibly easy in comparison.

Top Bottom