• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

I am very seriously considering going to UofT for grad school. I have a few questions.
1. Do any of you attend u of Toronto? What's it like over there?
2. Is there anyone who lives nearby the campus? Would anyone I know be looking for a roommate near campus?
3. Is living expensive in Toronto? Like, rent, food, transit?

Thanks for your help.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Toronto is expensive to live in. It's actually the most expensive city in Canada to live in, according to the sites pulled through a simple google search. Vancouver came up next.

That said, I don't think transit is horrible if you live downtown. Especially if you live near campus. It's difficult to straight up cheat TTC bus drivers, though. Like, when I was in B.C., I probably went a bunch of bus rides without paying a dime but Torontonians are cheap and will stop you and hassle the fuck out of you if you don't put in what seems like the right amount, they usually check your transfer, will get suspicious of whether or not you did a stopover, etc. So you gotta be crafty.

Rent is pricey. The way Josh put it eons ago was, "You can afford rent, or a car, but not both." And cars are expensive for us young males because our kinsmen keep doing stupid shit with them.

Food I'm not sure. Based on my little experience working in a health food store, I hope you don't have any severe food restrictions (gluten allergy, highly specialized diet, etc). If not, I would hazard a guess that it's not horrendous. But I'm really unsure. Being able to cook for yourself saves tons of money.

On the subject of food, I found this through googling A&W deals. The September A&W coupons that someone supposedly got in the mail. Here's what he said we can expect:

1x Prime Rib Grandpa Burger and A&W Root Beer $4.99
1x Two Mama & Large Fries $4.99
2x Teen Combo 2 for $10.99
1x Mozza Combo 2 for $10.99
1x Papa Combo 2 for $9.99
1x Teen Burger 2 for $6
1x Mozza Burger $2.49
1x Uncle Burger $3.49
1x Mama with Cheese Combo $4.99
1x Chubby Chicken Burger Combo $5.99
2x Allen & Wright Coffee FREE
1x Sausage N' Egger Combo $3.49
1x Bacon N' Egger Combo $3.49

The Mozza for $2.49 sounds like the best one, I think. For me I'd probably say the 2x Momma and Large Fries are next just because then you're just short an upgrade (rings 4eva) and a drink for a good meal. But the 2x Mozza Combo is good too (largely because Mozza is delicious) so I dunno.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Lol what a quirky but informative response. Thanks. I'm thinking UofT students get some sort of farecard...?

Yikes @ high rent though. Guess I'm going to have to find some uofT guy to live with. I wouldn't drive.

Asian food is so good and cheap sometimes in Vancouver. I would probably miss that.

If there's anyone you guys know who will be takingclasses there next sept, let me know! Of course, one of you cool cats would be ideal.

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you can give me a price range of good and cheap Asian food in Vancouver, I could give you a comparison.

Sushi don't bother though. It's like double the price over here, maybe more.

Bing

Smash Master
For financial purposes, living outside Toronto wouldnt be a bad idea.
Like, I lived in Etobicoke, and it takes about an hour to get to Toronto, which isnt horrible if you consider the fact you're saving money(im talking Transit)

Btw David, the TTC is > Niagara Regional Busing. We get to less places, have longer wait times, more expensive trips and like. Transfer for the TTC, can get you so far, like, a bus ride, couple of Subway rides, and another 2 buses. Niagara region = 2 bus rides.

Anywho, I didnt think Toronto was too expensive... its not terrible, not great either. And I do know a handful of smasher going to UofT, so you could defs have some people to play against.

And again David, lol @ googling A&W deals...

Windrose

Smash Lord
Lol what a quirky but informative response. Thanks. I'm thinking UofT students get some sort of farecard...?

Yikes @ high rent though. Guess I'm going to have to find some uofT guy to live with. I wouldn't drive.

Asian food is so good and cheap sometimes in Vancouver. I would probably miss that.

If there's anyone you guys know who will be takingclasses there next sept, let me know! Of course, one of you cool cats would be ideal.

Congratulations on choosing uoft for grad school! What program are you in/applying to?

I'm gonna be at uoft next year for grad school too. Living in toronto is expensive like kirby kaze said. But it seems like you're asian, so you probably already know how to pirate DVDs. I manage to keep all the bills in check this way...but the police are starting to become very strict lately and shutting down a lot of the DVD stores. Becareful.

Also, I can't help but noticed you said "cats". Do you like jazz by any chance?

EDIT: okay, I actually have some serious information for you diakonos.
UofT students get a discount on monthly TTC (the toronto transit) passes for $99. You save some money on metro passes this way. UofT, what would you like to know? The U stands for University. the T stands for Toronto. It has 3 campuses in Toronto: Mississauga, Scarborough, and (probably the most famous one) St.George. St.george is found in downtown Toronto. UofT is a very LARGE university in terms of campus size (since there's 3 campuses) and also number of students. If you are going into a research related masters program, you will have a wide selection of great supervisors to work with that are involved in cutting edge research. The reputation of this school speaks for itself.

Also, @KirbyKaze. Do you pleaseeeee happen to know the name of the ending song in this version of the MLP abridged series?
http://youtu.be/EAdBTd4kZmw?t=10m53s

idea

Smash Master
Hey guys.

I am very seriously considering going to UofT for grad school. I have a few questions.
2. Is there anyone who lives nearby the campus? Would anyone I know be looking for a roommate near campus?

Thanks for your help.
1. pretty sure we have several smashers who go to u of t/live on res.
2. see above
3. yes. but asian food places are generally pretty cheap still. instant noodles are even cheaper...
4. if you live here you and IB can have sexy marth dittos at every tournament :cool:

Windrose

Smash Lord
1. pretty sure we have several smashers who go to u of t/live on res.
2. see above
3. yes. but asian food places are generally pretty cheap still. instant noodles are even cheaper...
4. if you live here you and IB can have sexy marth dittos at every tournament :cool:
1. yeah there are! Andrea and BananaTrooper comes to mind. Plus a few others that go to uoft st.george. None of them live on campus though but all live off campus near uoft I believe.

UofT is largely a commuting school. Student campus life is practically non-existent.

3. yeah. diakonos, there's no peter chao here in toronto but we still have lots of azn stuff.

4. That'd be sick. PS: Did you know Power Shielding was discovered in the research labs of UofT? Another reason for you to come to Toronto.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

Thanks for your help.
If you don't wanna live in a run down place/something along those lines then, generally speaking, the more you're willing to commute via a TTC bus pass, then the cheaper Toronto becomes to live in. It could very well be an extra 60-90 minutes of commuting if you live far enough into the subs of Toronto, but that could be like 100-200 in rent you save, counting the bus pass, (maybe more? area dependant) or whatever.

That being said, I have some friends who live downtown in studio apartments for like 300ish a month and they don't need any kind of bus pass. They share with so many people and the area tends to have that asian-market-and-restaurant-dead-fish smell but >_> it's cheap and close to the downtown campus.

Other then that I can't imagine groceries being more expensives, bus passes are around 100 a month (I think fare is $3? so you can do the math, then see how much you'd take the bus a month and whether it's worth it or not)

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Before I respond to any individuals, I'd like to thank you guys very, very much for your informative and heartfelt response. I would also like to clarify that I am not externally asian, though you cannot help internalizing asian culture at least partly if you live in Vancouver.
For financial purposes, living outside Toronto wouldnt be a bad idea.
Like, I lived in Etobicoke, and it takes about an hour to get to Toronto, which isnt horrible if you consider the fact you're saving money(im talking Transit)

Anywho, I didnt think Toronto was too expensive... its not terrible, not great either. And I do know a handful of smasher going to UofT, so you could defs have some people to play against.
Thanks, Bing. I currently bus 1:15 (that's in hours) to get to UBC, so busing an hour is not unreasonable. Which closer suburbs should I look into? (loik, my Toronto geography is non-existant)
Congratulations on choosing uoft for grad school! What program are you in/applying to?

I'm gonna be at uoft next year for grad school too. Living in toronto is expensive like kirby kaze said. But it seems like you're asian, so you probably already know how to pirate DVDs. I manage to keep all the bills in check this way...but the police are starting to become very strict lately and shutting down a lot of the DVD stores. Becareful.

Also, I can't help but noticed you said "cats". Do you like jazz by any chance?

EDIT: okay, I actually have some serious information for you diakonos.
UofT students get a discount on monthly TTC (the toronto transit) passes for $99. You save some money on metro passes this way. UofT, what would you like to know? The U stands for University. the T stands for Toronto. It has 3 campuses in Toronto: Mississauga, Scarborough, and (probably the most famous one) St.George. St.george is found in downtown Toronto. UofT is a very LARGE university in terms of campus size (since there's 3 campuses) and also number of students. If you are going into a research related masters program, you will have a wide selection of great supervisors to work with that are involved in cutting edge research. The reputation of this school speaks for itself.
Hey Windrose, pleasure to meet you.

I'm thinking of applying to the MA in English program. Apparently, UoT has one of the best English departments in the world. Fancy that.

I do not pirate DVDs. In fact, I rarely watch DVDs, or movies for that matter. I am not asian (as mentioned above) but I do eat noodles. I am also very, very sad to hear that Sushi is very expensive. I have been to Ottawa and did notice that you guys get ripped off over there in the EC. I do enjoy the sound of jazz but am not a connoisseur by any means. I use the term "cats" loosely, but not pejoratively.

I have looked at the UofT website and have gathered that there are 3 campuses. I figure most graduate studies are done in the DT campus? The website reveals the true identity of Toronto as the centre of the known universe, with UofT as the centre of the centre of the known universe. In fact, it single-handedly provides Canada's answers to the world's questions. But I suppose I'm interested in learning what life looks like. Do you wake up in a suburb, get on a bus, and go to school? Do you guys have nice places to go for walks? Is your food delicious and cheap enough that I don't have to make third-rate sandwiches? Would you recommend living with roommates?

so, which of the 3 campuses (tho ppl assume dt)? and for what program
Hello SF, see above.
I haven't heard of IB playing in a long time. Yes, I could use some Marth ditto practice. I normally end up going Fox and just shinespiking Marth, though. It is much easier than getting poke-edgeguarded.

If you don't wanna live in a run down place/something along those lines then, generally speaking, the more you're willing to commute via a TTC bus pass, then the cheaper Toronto becomes to live in. It could very well be an extra 60-90 minutes of commuting if you live far enough into the subs of Toronto, but that could be like 100-200 in rent you save, counting the bus pass, (maybe more? area dependant) or whatever.

That being said, I have some friends who live downtown in studio apartments for like 300ish a month and they don't need any kind of bus pass. They share with so many people and the area tends to have that asian-market-and-restaurant-dead-fish smell but >_> it's cheap and close to the downtown campus.

Other then that I can't imagine groceries being more expensives, bus passes are around 100 a month (I think fare is $3? so you can do the math, then see how much you'd take the bus a month and whether it's worth it or not)
Yeah. I figure it's kind of like a larger Vancouver. $99 a month is kind of expensive, but I guess that's cuz right now I only pay $95 for 4 months unlimited busing with my uPass. I guess you smashers are going to have to teach me to cook, cuz I'm pretty sure I can only make cereal and toast. Maybe eggs.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I love to cook just for the fun of it. 99 per month is a steal for bus pass. Take advantage of it. It goes for 125 regularly. I would definitely recommend a roomate to help out with the expenses of living alone and for company. I may have a friend that has a room for rent around finch/Leslie area. That's about 50 to 60 minutes commuting time to the downtown Saint George campus.

You can do the math. Tokens for each trip is 2.50. Monthly pass is only worth it if you bus 10 times a week. Ttc transit is very convenient too. Depending on where you live, it can be as frequent as every five minutes.

Regarding sushi. Yeah. It's quite expensive here but I still go often. I love all you can eat sushi restaurants. The one I go to frequently is $23 on weekdays and $25 on weekends though (for dinner). But it's the best one I've been to in Toronto.

Rikana

Smash Champion
If you're renting, I recommend renting in Scarborough area. Markham transit is hell. You need a car to survive in markham. North York is more expensive. As for where in Scarborough, I'm not too sure. We all live relatively close to each other. The area I live in is packed with asians.. Everything is bootlegged here. Including the people.

Food is great in Toronto. A wide variety of food and many restaurants with different approaches of eating. Food varies a lot in terms of price. I definitely think it's worth cooking rather than buying a meal. If you want something quick and relatively cheap, get Asian BBQ takeouts. It's usually meats and veggies with rice for $3 to $4. BBQ pork meat, BBQ duck, etc.

idea

Smash Master
I haven't heard of IB playing in a long time. Yes, I could use some Marth ditto practice. I normally end up going Fox and just shinespiking Marth, though. It is much easier than getting poke-edgeguarded.
well, he only comes out occasionally, but he does still play.

also isn't it a pain to change your font colour in every post?

also if it would make you feel more at home, we can point out the more asian-heavy areas :p basically it's the northeast.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
If you don't want to live on campus, find someone that's renting rooms nearby the university. You can potentially save a lot of money, it's a situational choice though.

As for everything else, David pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Ministry

Smash Ace
got to winners finals pretty easily of the ottawa tourny. going all sheik

then went falco and did falco dittos for the grandfinals.

my falco needs work. came in second.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I think summers are hotter and winters are colder here in Toronto vs Vancouver, I could be wrong....

congrats Nick. who did you lose to?

Ministry

Smash Ace
gannonpwn. i beat his falcon in brackets with sheik.

he went falco so i went falco. im not good at the matchup, got *****

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Top Bottom