• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

.Marik

is a social misfit
Ironman is an amazing invention.

I'd be down for some Ironman friendlies, perhaps even some moneymatches.

Ryan, let me see your technical Yoshi again! So good. Jizzed in my pants upon watching it in play.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Apparently, it's a bizarre, yellow rat creature that fires electricity from cheek pouches.

unknown522

Some guy
you know you fail when:

Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Timed Battle
unknown522 sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
VnS.Gear2 sent out Deoxys-e (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).
Deoxys-e is exerting its pressure!
VnS.Gear2: yea
unknown522: woah
VnS.Gear2: yea
VnS.Gear2: just for fun
VnS.Gear2: =)
Deoxys-e used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
Deoxys-e used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
Azelf used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
---
Deoxys-e used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!
Azelf used Light Screen.
Azelf can't use Light Screen after the taunt!
---
Deoxys-e used Spikes.
Azelf used Explosion.
Deoxys-e lost 185% of its health.
Deoxys-e hung on using its Focus Sash!
unknown522's Azelf fainted.
---
unknown522 switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar was hurt by Spikes!
Tyranitar lost 19% of its health.
Deoxys-e used Spikes.
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
The sandstorm rages.
Deoxys-e is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Deoxys-e lost 6% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Deoxys-e fainted.
---
VnS.Gear2 switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 25% of its health.
The Babiri Berry weakened Bullet Punch's power!
Tyranitar used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Scizor lost 165% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Scizor fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
VnS.Gear2 switched in Wobbuffet (lvl 100 Wobbuffet ?).
Pointed stones dug into Wobbuffet.
Wobbuffet lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Wobbuffet lost 88% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Wobbuffet fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
VnS.Gear2: well
VnS.Gear2: fail
VnS.Gear2 switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
The sandstorm stopped.
Rain began to fall!
Pointed stones dug into Kyogre.
Kyogre lost 12% of its health.
unknown522: lol
VnS.Gear2: i'm a newbie
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Kyogre lost 62% of its health.
Kyogre used Surf.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 166% of its health.
unknown522's Tyranitar fainted.
The rain continues to fall.
Kyogre's leftovers restored its health a little!
Kyogre restored 6% of its health.
---
VnS.Gear2: i make this team in a few minutes
unknown522 switched in Kingdra (lvl 100 Kingdra ?).
Pointed stones dug into Kingdra.
Kingdra lost 12% of its health.
Kingdra was hurt by Spikes!
Kingdra lost 25% of its health.
VnS.Gear2: i never play before
Kingdra used Outrage.
Kingdra went on a rampage!
Kyogre lost 44% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Kyogre fainted.
Kingdra's reflect wore off!
Kingdra's leftovers restored its health a little!
Kingdra restored 6% of its health.
---
unknown522: really?
VnS.Gear2 switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's Intimidate cut Kingdra's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Kingdra used Outrage.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 84% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Salamence fainted.
Kingdra's leftovers restored its health a little!
Kingdra restored 6% of its health.
---
VnS.Gear2 switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Pointed stones dug into Latias.
Latias lost 12% of its health.
unknown522: hahahahahahahahahahahah
Kingdra used Outrage.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 88% of its health.
VnS.Gear2's Latias fainted.
unknown522 wins!
VnS.Gear2: i got r*pe, AGAIN
VnS.Gear2: DAMMIT
VnS.Gear2: 4-0
VnS.Gear2: and this uber
VnS.Gear2: damm

Rikana

Smash Champion
^^^^

LMAO. Where are these pokemon comics from? They're hilarious. I remember seeing a few in the past where scyther can't learn fly but you see some other trainer standing on his pidgey as he flies across the sky.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
So...I was talking to Tristan and Ryan this morning and I've come to the conclusion that I'm in a serious mental block that I dunno how to fix. I dunno if some of you noticed, but I do listen to music when I play (If my ipod isn't dead from me being too lazy to charge it)...now the thing about this is, I have absolutely no passion when I play. Generally when I play I'm listless and it feels like a problem because unless I have some sorta stimulation I mess up what little tech skill I have or reaction. After watching a few of the matches I recorded from last weekend...I realized that I don't remember any of the matches; I remember points where the person I was playing made a gesture or comment about something I did, but even then...I have no idea what I did "right" or even remember the situation. I feel like my current style of play is very automatic and reactive...but yet it's turtley...

Examples of this being 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdlou6_-0ts

I only remember two points about this match...I remember the ridiculously stupid turnip pull because I was aggravated that I hit b instead of a...not that it would have worked. Then I remember Stos looking at me at the point that Kurtis mentioned in his comment and saying "wtf"...but iirc my response also was..."wtf" as in "wtf are you talking about? what happened?"

Another example of this being on a trip to London a couple of weeks ago. During a random match at some random point in time while getting ***** back and fourth by Tristan and Kurtis, I was playing Tristan and nearly 4 stocked his Falco...to the point where he couldn't get hits in or move at all. At the time I believe I was listening to a fairly upbeat song, but as it started to end I heard them talking about what was going on, and I realized I didn't actually know myself <.< nor know it was good; I took off the headset mid game and Tristan started to come back...but obviously Peach is sorta panic mode safe...so down-smash ftw...anyway...

Idk what my point is entirely, maybe somebody knows what I can do about this or at least I'm hoping so? It would suck to have a personality flaw be a hindrance to my game...cause I can't rightly change the fact that I don't get over excited while playing, but I do love playing...so ....WHAT DO YOU DO?

idea

Smash Master
the fact that you don't remember things doesn't necessarily mean anything; i often don't either, even when i'm paying really close attention to the match. sometimes i forget what i just did because i'm so focused on what i'm about to do. =P

do you notice any difference between playing friendlies and tournament? i'm usually a lot more tense and excited when it comes to tourney matches, even more so at big tournaments...the anticipation of my 2nd round pool at apex was pretty fun. i was just kind of sitting around thinking "what the hell am i going to do with this death pool :laugh:"

you might also want to try out other characters. although you don't have to expect anyone to jump out at you, if peach already didn't...my first tournament i just kind of guessed that i played jiggs, and i grew into her over time. so that was probably about 50/50 in terms of nature/nurture.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm not sure you can force yourself to be stimulated.

Does anything get your blood bumping?

My expression and fascination with this game is terribly inconsistent.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
@ Kyle
The thing I'm more worried about is not actually thinking about what I'm doing, I don't really know enough about the game to think too far ahead in terms of match up knowledge/options I just do what feels right.
I do notice a bit of a difference in tourney play, but not too much. I wasn't entirely excited about pools at apex because I knew I wasn't really ready and it was just an experience. I have been considering trying out more characters, a lot of the cast feel weird to me right now but I'll get used to it I suppose lol.

@ David
Well like I said, music does it sometimes but otherwise not really :/. If I don't have music I am usually moving a lot more in game to try and build momentum, but pointless movement leads to messed up tech skill which pisses me off and makes it worse lol. Either that or I just get hit and yeah< _< with no momentum idk what to do sometimes.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I was thinking about that as I posted my comment to you. My characters are pretty lol, I have to admit.

I wouldn't say my Falco is amazing. In terms of actual tournament play and strategy I'm not even close to good - yet.

Comic gold.
I just have to not fight your spacies with mine then maybe I have a chance. =P I've been playing a lot of Falcon/Marth recently, it's fun.

Sleaf

Smash Cadet
James,
just play more friendlies. you'll get to know what you're doing right/wrong and you'll naturally know the general character match ups more.
Simple as that. :laugh:

And don't think too much, just play!

idea

Smash Master
@ Kyle
The thing I'm more worried about is not actually thinking about what I'm doing, I don't really know enough about the game to think too far ahead in terms of match up knowledge/options I just do what feels right.
I do notice a bit of a difference in tourney play, but not too much. I wasn't entirely excited about pools at apex because I knew I wasn't really ready and it was just an experience. I have been considering trying out more characters, a lot of the cast feel weird to me right now but I'll get used to it I suppose lol.
most of my in-match thinking (and i think other people's too) occurs somewhere between my "subconscious" and my conscious...brain. often i'm only aware of doing something well after i've already done it. it seems like that part of the brain is better suited to melee just because of the speed. not sure if any of this is relevant, just sayin'.

it's possible you just don't like melee all that much. whether or not that's the case, i agree with alan, just play more friendlies.

Thanks Tommy...why are you such a brave baby?
that reminds me of something (not that it's directed at you, lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2fNG26xFg

Rikana

Smash Champion
I don't think when I'm playing either (when I'm playing seriously at least). It all just happens subconsciously until the match ends. I'm able to recall what happened though.

idea

Smash Master
I wouldn't say that I don't think, just that for the most part I don't think consciously. (I should also mention that I have a concept of non-conscious thinking =P)

anyone interested in GI's thing? i'd like to go but i don't really wanna be the helping person. but then there's the issue of melee not getting many tvs due to sharing with brawl, which will probably get more attendance...

sauc3

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind running melee for GI's thing, as long as i can get that weekend off work (I may be done by then)

as for the thinking thing, thinking only consciously slows your reaction time among other things, but only subconscious thinking would slow your adaptability among other things. compromise? or be mango i dunno .... among other things

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think a ton when im playing lol

conscious thinking doesnt necessarily slow your reaction time. In fact, its been proven that if you expect something to happen, and it does happen, your response time is actually faster than if it was purely reaction. This is why in races, they say "on your marks", as opposed to just randomly firing the start-gun

which is why if you can consciously account for every (most) options your opponent has in any given situation, and can consciously come up with optimal solutions to them all, your payoff will be like 10 times higher. but this takes a lot of skill and experience.

sauc3

Smash Lord

conscious thinking doesnt necessarily slow your reaction time. In fact, its been proven that if you expect something to happen, and it does happen, your response time is actually faster than if it was purely reaction. This is why in races, they say "on your marks", as opposed to just randomly firing the start-gun

which is why if you can consciously account for every (most) options your opponent has in any given situation, and can consciously come up with optimal solutions to them all, your payoff will be like 10 times higher. but this takes a lot of skill and experience.
but yous ability to react to the unexpected is way worse then the slight increased reaction timez u get from expecting it. nah?

i will let u know if a bit if i can run melee, tho someone more qualified should run it instead, cuz I'm a tard.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@ David
Well like I said, music does it sometimes but otherwise not really :/. If I don't have music I am usually moving a lot more in game to try and build momentum, but pointless movement leads to messed up tech skill which pisses me off and makes it worse lol. Either that or I just get hit and yeah< _< with no momentum idk what to do sometimes.
Just go with the flow man. Roll with the punches.

i wanna play some MELEE (maybe not right now since its 4:30 am but you get the idea)

i was totally expecting a "gyarados' attack missed!" at the end
Ditto. For both. Are you really in Africa right now?

I just have to not fight your spacies with mine then maybe I have a chance. =P I've been playing a lot of Falcon/Marth recently, it's fun.
I've been playing Fox. And Peach. But not so much Peach because I've realized she's horrible and completely useless except for Peach dittos and ICs.

James,
just play more friendlies. you'll get to know what you're doing right/wrong and you'll naturally know the general character match ups more.
Simple as that. :laugh:

And don't think too much, just play!
Don't make me slap you.

But this is legit. Depending on how you learn. And depending on how your drive works.

I don't think when I'm playing either (when I'm playing seriously at least). It all just happens subconsciously until the match ends. I'm able to recall what happened though.
This is pretty common.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287985

If someone helps with melee, you got a melee tournament.
I wish I didn't work every weekend loool.

as for the thinking thing, thinking only consciously slows your reaction time among other things, but only subconscious thinking would slow your adaptability among other things. compromise? or be mango i dunno .... among other things
It has been argued (and proven iirc) that choking is often the result of donating conscious thought to processes where it is not required. Meaning that if you sit and think through an input, depending on circumstances, you can be more likely to botch it than if you just did the darn input. You're also diverting attention away from more important stuff. Notably, the opponent.

Of course, if you're trying to add something new, then it's different. Because paying attention to execution is necessary with something new.

Thinking a lot can be dangerous. See above. But if you're watching for habits and taking note of things then that's a lil' different.

On that note, the lil' thing on reaction time is why it's generally good with Sheik and Falcon (and other tech-chase heavy characters) to prepare yourself for the tech stand, and then react for the rolls. The stand has the smallest window to hit by a significant amount, so ensuring a better reaction for it is generally beneficial. Of course this also can be problematic when you get subconscious complacency and expectations muddled in, but c'est la vie.

Paying attention to habits consciously is fine, especially if you're just starting to do it. But eventually a lot of it becomes second nature. I know a lot of good players don't remember things after games (Eggz, iirc, said that in interview).

idea

Smash Master
more on the thinking consciously thing...i try to separate it. fortunately my character has lots of opportunities where it's not even close to the battleground...so when i've been hit away (and somehow still am not dead), and i'm floating back to the stage, i take some time then to think about what i might do differently.

also the time between stocks. "okay, i remember he teched away then rolled behind me a lot, i'll wait for him to do that again." or "he's at high percent, better spam nair."

when i'm under shield pressure, or trying to continue a combo, that's usually when i just feel it out. edgeguarding is probably half and half.

i won't use any tvs of brawl for melee nor vice versa, makes anyone happy?
then the only issue will be whether the melee community can be bothered to get our **** together =P so i guess we'll see.

but yous ability to react to the unexpected is way worse then the slight increased reaction timez u get from expecting it. nah?

i will let u know if a bit if i can run melee, tho someone more qualified should run it instead, cuz I'm a tard.
i can help you run it, i just don't want to accept any responsibility :laugh:

unknown522

Some guy
Oh yeah smash is fine on Sunday.
I'll let bernard know.

Also, this sickness is almost gone finally. I got my sense of taste/smell back last night after getting some buckley's, and my mom finally buying OJ and soup (going almost 3 days at a time without food was pretty fail). Buckley's tastes so ****ing bad.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287985

If someone helps with melee, you got a melee tournament.
I would help, but I can't provide any TVs. I dunno anyone who could, aside from josh, so I dunno about doing a 2 tv tourney. If more people post soon and say that they can bring TV's, then I will host it for you.

Sanu

Smash Champion
and ignoring me whenever i talk to him on facebook, real talk

Top Bottom