• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I just played a game with someone jungling as Poppy. Is this a real thing or were they just being weird? If they were being real, then this may look like someone who would be fun to try there.

Miss Fortune in this patch. <3 Love what this patch is doing for her.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Nvm, I just looked at the wiki. Nothing special happens at all. :(

I don't understand Riot's philosophy with this patch with regard to items. One thing for sure is that they are making 'free stats' champs stronger with the increased cost of tankiness and attack speed and lower AD costs. I'm getting an impression that more items than ever are very niche, or rather certain niche champs are no longer benefitting from what they excelled with, Volibear (my favorite champ) being one of them. Eventually things will settle more comfortably, but right now my general impression is that I am very confused.

What are y'alls favorite items so far? Any sweet combos you've found?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
All I can say, support is now much more fun. I now have an even better incentive to harass. Bananas giving me 3 gold per hit is too satisfying to pass up. And I don't have to dump all my money in wards, so I can actually buy useful items before 40 mins!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be honest, earlier today I was actually thinking of replacing PD with Hurricane on Twitch. Even if there's Critical strike movement speed and ignoring unit collision in PD. Outside of the UC part, the crit strike almost doesn't matter since IE exists, new boot upgrades give more movement speed (along with his ambush) already, and twitch needs to attack fast enough to apply his DV to all his opponents, ult or not.

I'll test it later today to see if there's some change in having either 20% more AS along with having the ability to spread your disease to more players being better or 5% MS 30% crit chance and 50% AS instead being the better choice.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I practice mid a lot end up not winning a lot.

Play ADC and Support, which I barely practice, end up undefeated with Sona and high win rate with Ashe, wtf.

:phone:

Vyke

Smash Champion
People that feel strong in one lane or area may not actually be strong in those lanes or areas, lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just played a game with someone jungling as Poppy. Is this a real thing or were they just being weird? If they were being real, then this may look like someone who would be fun to try there.
I jungle Poppy a lot. She has a pretty slow clear speed and pretty mediocre ganks pre-6 in general, but she's still okay. She just needs a lot of team cooperation since her only cc without red buff is Heroic Charge.

Level 6+ ganks are easy as hell though. I love her ult so much.
Transitioning isn't that bad either, as long as you're able to 1v1 their carries, which pretty much requires you to net some successful ganks.

I'm not sure how effective she would be if you committed to a jungle clearing build. :applejack:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
support gp gives 5 gold each time you q someone

might as well call him bankplank

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
bankplank top 4/9/17

made 2k more gold than anyone on my team

but everyone on my team fed so it didnt really make a difference

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I had a Hydra Trynd ruin my day earlier.

I've never seen a team die so quickly to one man.
This literally just happened to me in my latest game. Killing him early and wrecking the team. He starts farming/getting his items and just starts wrecking in 1v1. Me as MF and the Twitch My team were both really fed.

Tryd just laughed and double killed us. *shiver* it took all 5 of us to take him down.

Just no. Tryd needs to go away.

Vyke

Smash Champion
bankplank top 4/9/17

made 2k more gold than anyone on my team

but everyone on my team fed so it didnt really make a difference
Huh. I just noticed the Post-Game Stats screen uses the old Gangplank splash art icon.

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
Don't give a **** if HSGG is the owner of CL Gaming, everyone knows he is just an awful player and should not be on the team. They say their goal is to get into late game so jiji and doublelift can carry...of course that's their ****ing goal, get hotshot out of laning as soon as possible so he'll stop doing nothing...Here is the problem with the NA scene, the teams are terrible because of certain people on the teams, think about it. Take TSM, CLGNA, Curse, and Dignitas for examples. Line up all 20+ players and shoot Regi Chaox Dyrus Oddone Hotshot jiji chauster nyjacky saint westrice elementz patoy cop scarra crumbzz (shoot him twice to be safe) Qtpie and whoever the **** their support it (muffinqt?).

Basically you're left with Xpecial, doublelift, voyboy, IWdominate, and scarra (he is fat and lived through the shooting). There is your one and only one team that could even possibly come close to calling themselves a true team. Also note the NA Mid Lane scene is terrible and you have to use a guy who got shot because hes all you have.

So yea, the NA scene as a whole is terrible because no one here is as good as other players from other countries which is the exact trend it has always been for any game (except melee...).

Take any korean team, even the lesser known ones that are still insanely good, and mix and match the players, the end result is still the exact same as it was before the switches. NA scene is going to disappear faster than Scarra's 7-11 Big Gulp if people don't step up and start making new teams with new players and practicing.

Rainman was 100% correct, and I'll admit I thought he was going a little nuts when he said Solo queue is more important than ranked 5s but just consider it...If you were building a team of players would you want someone who is a team player or who makes plays for the team? As my soccer coach once said, you can't teach someone how to be a faster runner but you can teach them all the footwork needed to become a great soccer player. Likewise, you can't be a pro league player unless you know how to think quickly before you start playing. Sure, Crumbzz might know how to do everything a pro does and it has gotten him away with doing the bare minimum for awhile but soon enough all of these asain and euro teams are going to figure out these small tricks (in fact they are already doing this) and just blow all the US players out of the water. Imagine League as a 26 mile marathon. The Americans win for miles because no one else competing has learned how to run, but are rather crawling on four legs because it's all they know how to do. Once they look up they are all like, "Oh **** that is a much better way to move". So now the Koreans stand up and start running and they are behind so they need to learn how to run even faster, so they do, because it is the only way for them to actually catch up. Now all of the sudden at the 15 mile mark you see these Americans who at this point are pretty much just fast walking and HOLY **** here come these ****ing Koreans at like cheeta speed and now the American Fatasses are like wtffffff and everyone watching is like wtffffff and the Koreans are like wtffffff is wrong with these Americans...So the Americans start running again, toss their remaining Twix candy bars on the ground and gallop back to the pace they were at before they started walking. It takes a while to sink in but they eventually realize the reality of the situation. Not only did they never consider losing the race at their pace, they actually slowed down because they thought it wouldn't affect their individual placements. Sure the one American might walk a tad faster than the other just to ensure his slim victory, but once again he was satisfied with doing the bare minimum to win. So yea...the Americans obviously lose the race and the rest is history.

TL/DR Americans are fat****s and are just not as good at League as anyone else right now and they need to work on individual skill before they think about joining another tournament and humiliate themselves.

Achievement Unlocked: Avoided studying for 30 minutes.......

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Don't give a **** if HSGG is the owner of CL Gaming, everyone knows he is just an awful player and should not be on the team. They say their goal is to get into late game so jiji and doublelift can carry...of course that's their ****ing goal, get hotshot out of laning as soon as possible so he'll stop doing nothing...Here is the problem with the NA scene, the teams are terrible because of certain people on the teams, think about it. Take TSM, CLGNA, Curse, and Dignitas for examples. Line up all 20+ players and shoot Regi Chaox Dyrus Oddone Hotshot jiji chauster nyjacky saint westrice elementz patoy cop scarra crumbzz (shoot him twice to be safe) Qtpie and whoever the **** their support it (muffinqt?).

Basically you're left with Xpecial, doublelift, voyboy, IWdominate, and scarra (he is fat and lived through the shooting). There is your one and only one team that could even possibly come close to calling themselves a true team. Also note the NA Mid Lane scene is terrible and you have to use a guy who got shot because hes all you have.

So yea, the NA scene as a whole is terrible because no one here is as good as other players from other countries which is the exact trend it has always been for any game (except melee...).

Take any korean team, even the lesser known ones that are still insanely good, and mix and match the players, the end result is still the exact same as it was before the switches. NA scene is going to disappear faster than Scarra's 7-11 Big Gulp if people don't step up and start making new teams with new players and practicing.

Rainman was 100% correct, and I'll admit I thought he was going a little nuts when he said Solo queue is more important than ranked 5s but just consider it...If you were building a team of players would you want someone who is a team player or who makes plays for the team? As my soccer coach once said, you can't teach someone how to be a faster runner but you can teach them all the footwork needed to become a great soccer player. Likewise, you can't be a pro league player unless you know how to think quickly before you start playing. Sure, Crumbzz might know how to do everything a pro does and it has gotten him away with doing the bare minimum for awhile but soon enough all of these asain and euro teams are going to figure out these small tricks (in fact they are already doing this) and just blow all the US players out of the water. Imagine League as a 26 mile marathon. The Americans win for miles because no one else competing has learned how to run, but are rather crawling on four legs because it's all they know how to do. Once they look up they are all like, "Oh **** that is a much better way to move". So now the Koreans stand up and start running and they are behind so they need to learn how to run even faster, so they do, because it is the only way for them to actually catch up. Now all of the sudden at the 15 mile mark you see these Americans who at this point are pretty much just fast walking and HOLY **** here come these ****ing Koreans at like cheeta speed and now the American Fatasses are like wtffffff and everyone watching is like wtffffff and the Koreans are like wtffffff is wrong with these Americans...So the Americans start running again, toss their remaining Twix candy bars on the ground and gallop back to the pace they were at before they started walking. It takes a while to sink in but they eventually realize the reality of the situation. Not only did they never consider losing the race at their pace, they actually slowed down because they thought it wouldn't affect their individual placements. Sure the one American might walk a tad faster than the other just to ensure his slim victory, but once again he was satisfied with doing the bare minimum to win. So yea...the Americans obviously lose the race and the rest is history.

TL/DR Americans are fat****s and are just not as good at League as anyone else right now and they need to work on individual skill before they think about joining another tournament and humiliate themselves.

Achievement Unlocked: Avoided studying for 30 minutes.......
What

Seriously.

Edit:

There are several reasons that NA teams are behind the European and Asian teams. Unfortunately, your post is ********.

First, there's not a lot of practicing going on. There's a lot of playing, which isn't the same thing as training. The gaming houses scrim occasionally, but that's not enough. There need to be coordinated, repeated practice sessions with serious discipline happening. For instance, mid players training and theorycrafting their matchups, coming up with goofy counters, and then counter-counters on top of that. American culture isn't very conducive to that kind of thing when there's no authority figure present, and that's what American teams don't have. In fact, a LOT of the pros are surprisingly lazy and know jack **** about their own game; I'm watching Froggen play the new patch and he's like "what heart of gold is gone what the ****." How don't you know this? This huge patch is coming and all this info is available and you just hop into mid and start farming triple GP10 with GP? Whatever.

Second, NA play seems heavily based around optimizing... which is great, except League has counters. NA teams don't practice their stuff and actively seek out counters to their own strategies before implementing them, so they fall flat on their face. They're all playing a big game of follow the meta-leader, and if somebody picks an uncommon champ people **** their pants. They just go, "what is best" rather than "what will work in what situation," or "why?" Things like, "oh don't play Vayne she gets shut down in lane," and then... hey who is getting picked one out of every three games in tournament. Now there are a bajillion copy-cat Vaynes running around who don't know anything about the champ.

Third, NA teams also have a lot of hot-heads who just go on tilt and play like **** when anything goes wrong. The only time they don't do that is if they are goofing off to begin with.

Fourth, there isn't a decent way for NA leaguers to sustain their attempts to be professional without using streams and advertising revenue, unless they have a manager or team or sponsor or whatever that's willing to foot the bill for them to train and practice quietly. It also sucks when everybody knows your strategies and weaknesses because you have to show them on a daily basis in order to sustain yourself.

Player-3

Smash Hero
u guys are really bad at bankplank

heres how you bankplank

go top lane

start crit glove 2 pots

soon as you cna afford the cash blade push and buy it

then build kages

shard of ice for maximum gp5/mana regen/bigger oranges/aoe slow

max oranges so nobody can push you out of lane

get 6 items by 30 minutes

D

Deleted member

u guys are really bad at bankplank

heres how you bankplank

go top lane

start crit glove 2 pots

soon as you cna afford the cash blade push and buy it

then build kages

shard of ice for maximum gp5/mana regen/bigger oranges/aoe slow

max oranges so nobody can push you out of lane

get 6 items by 30 minutes
don't forget GP10 runes, GP10 masteries and pickpocket

also finally:
http://i.imgur.com/qtb9L.jpg
I could still ocmpress this a bit more but this way I can finally just access everything from 1 screen

even better:
http://i.imgur.com/LZqL4.jpg

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Wow I want the same, with maybe faerie charm, a doran and the machete instead of the blasting wand.

Also haven't been able to test gp, is gauntlet/tiamat interesting or what ?

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
What

Seriously.

Edit:

There are several reasons that NA teams are behind the European and Asian teams. Unfortunately, your post is ********.

First, there's not a lot of practicing going on. There's a lot of playing, which isn't the same thing as training. The gaming houses scrim occasionally, but that's not enough. There need to be coordinated, repeated practice sessions with serious discipline happening. For instance, mid players training and theorycrafting their matchups, coming up with goofy counters, and then counter-counters on top of that. American culture isn't very conducive to that kind of thing when there's no authority figure present, and that's what American teams don't have. In fact, a LOT of the pros are surprisingly lazy and know jack **** about their own game; I'm watching Froggen play the new patch and he's like "what heart of gold is gone what the ****." How don't you know this? This huge patch is coming and all this info is available and you just hop into mid and start farming triple GP10 with GP? Whatever.

Second, NA play seems heavily based around optimizing... which is great, except League has counters. NA teams don't practice their stuff and actively seek out counters to their own strategies before implementing them, so they fall flat on their face. They're all playing a big game of follow the meta-leader, and if somebody picks an uncommon champ people **** their pants. They just go, "what is best" rather than "what will work in what situation," or "why?" Things like, "oh don't play Vayne she gets shut down in lane," and then... hey who is getting picked one out of every three games in tournament. Now there are a bajillion copy-cat Vaynes running around who don't know anything about the champ.

Third, NA teams also have a lot of hot-heads who just go on tilt and play like **** when anything goes wrong. The only time they don't do that is if they are goofing off to begin with.

Fourth, there isn't a decent way for NA leaguers to sustain their attempts to be professional without using streams and advertising revenue, unless they have a manager or team or sponsor or whatever that's willing to foot the bill for them to train and practice quietly. It also sucks when everybody knows your strategies and weaknesses because you have to show them on a daily basis in order to sustain yourself.
Wow, my post got deleted, what a shame...well all I was going to say was how disappointed I am at you for saying what you said because you are pretty much saying that league is all about living and breathing every aspect of it but honestly it just comes down to raw skill. Mango doesn't **** on you with Falcon because he studies your playstyle ;)

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I am sure Mango has put in countless hours playing his best characters. Yes, there is some innate skill, but you give it too much credit.

As an analogy: most great writers naturally had a lot of innate talent, but to think that their first works were anything but trash is ridiculous. They got to the pantheon by practice, and more of it than most any one else put in.

Did Doublelift always used to be the best ADC in NA? No, arguably not (he didn't even play ADC for the longest time and was known for his Blitz for ages as well as making horrible gaming decisions). If it is just about raw skill, why wasn't he the best then? What differentiates between now and then? Obviously, it was the work involved. How many games has he played and hours put in? Thousands upon thousands? You think that has no bearing on his better performance?

Top Bottom