• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Money n hos

Smash Cadet
its kind of sad how much better the korean and chinese teams are going to be than NA and EU pretty soon

they still do dumb stuff like pick kennen

and dont play malphite

but theyre still gonna body everybody

also one of those clg vs tsm games from gesl semis is one of the only high level games ive seen in months that globals havent been used by either team. globals are so overpoweredddddd **** this game

~~stay hood *****z

Lovage

Smash Hero
what da **** are u talking about

clg picking malph every ****ing game at mlg u ******

korean teams are insane tho lol

Money n hos

Smash Cadet
talking about the korean teams and WE who do stupid picks sometimes

but like, just now, fnatic picked nidalee vs irelia top lane

which is like nids worst possible matchup other than yorick or something

so korea bad picks dont even matter when they play teams as stupid as that

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
talking about the korean teams and WE who do stupid picks sometimes

but like, just now, fnatic picked nidalee vs irelia top lane

which is like nids worst possible matchup other than yorick or something

so korea bad picks dont even matter when they play teams as stupid as that
In arranged play, team comp >>>>>>> Lane matchups. Assuming you're correct, they absolutely realize this, but consider nidalee important enough to their comp that they're willing to exert the jungle pressure to make it work.

Think how TSM handled dignitas counterpicking vlad with akali.

So yea, that's such a one-dimensional solo queue mentality.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yeahhhhh sooooooo every single game in ranked now, someone dodges at champ select, been in queue for 40 minutes and not one has gone through

Riot ****ed up

Money n hos

Smash Cadet
In arranged play, team comp >>>>>>> Lane matchups. Assuming you're correct, they absolutely realize this, but consider nidalee important enough to their comp that they're willing to exert the jungle pressure to make it work.

Think how TSM handled dignitas counterpicking vlad with akali.

So yea, that's such a one-dimensional solo queue mentality.
no youre wrong and you dont know how competitive play works

lane matchups mean a ****ing lot, its not solo queue mentality, its how the game is played

nidalee isnt good at anything anymore in any comp, not even poke, you dont even know how to play her but are trying to give a lecture about roles in teams

i could go on but itll go right through your head so w/e

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
no youre wrong and you dont know how competitive play works

lane matchups mean a ****ing lot, its not solo queue mentality, its how the game is played

nidalee isnt good at anything anymore in any comp, not even poke, you dont even know how to play her but are trying to give a lecture about roles in teams

i could go on but itll go right through your head so w/e
Winning lanes is part of the equation, but it's a team game, other lanes and the jungler can help and top lane is relatively easy to gank, depending on the matchup.

I'm a lot more inclined to believe that fnatic weighed the benefits of having nidalee versus the lane requiring additional pressure from other lanes/the jungler versus your interpretation that they just derped super hard. Maybe it panned out, maybe it didn't, but that was their thought process.

I may not be good at that game, but honestly if you're gonna pull that card, who the **** are you to question fnatic's decisions? Where's your professional competative team? I'm merely pointing out the decision making process based on what I've heard from high elo and professional players.

I wouldn't say so. Since fed champions>>>>>team comp and dominating your lane is a good way to get fed.
But this isn't solo q, everyone decided the lane together and if they need to make arrangements so a lane that naturally loses gets more pressure then it normally would because it's a losing matchup then they'll do it. If they're picking into a losing matchup then they obviously have something important planned for that character within their comp.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bad MUs aren't always set in stone you'll lose. There is something called outplaying your opponent. I mean we see it quite often in brawl and melee so we should be used to seeing people win bad MUs. hell Dyrus does an amazing as Vlad in his bad MUs in lane (as in keeping up in CS and not dying). Plus a jungler can easily help swing a favor around. In the end what matters most is the team composition.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The 'Meta' is not the game. It's only a part of it, and it can be broken when 85% of the people that play the game can't actually play it correctly for it to actually matter.
Indeed, but it's kind of sad when I can 1v2 bot with a character I have very little experience with (Kog) and it's even worse when the arrogant, obnoxious kid who decided to 'troll' us by picking jungle anyway gets a win while having this attitude >_<
The worst people in games are the ones that think that Riot blessed us by putting them on our team.

Virg has to edit posts in this thread a lot, doesn't he? lol

Coney

Smash Master
hate the new skin changes :/

the chinese art looks so out of place with the western style they have for other characters and i hate the way they're integrating it.

but maybe i'm overreacting because they changed the art for my second-favorite skin in the game, next they'll be coming for my baby rumble

also just realized this, it's hilarious they changed tango tf's skin (the one with evelynn in it) but left eve's skin as it is. poor girl!

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
hate the new skin changes :/

the chinese art looks so out of place with the western style they have for other characters and i hate the way they're integrating it.

but maybe i'm overreacting because they changed the art for my second-favorite skin in the game, next they'll be coming for my baby rumble

also just realized this, it's hilarious they changed tango tf's skin (the one with evelynn in it) but left eve's skin as it is. poor girl!
I really hate the Chinese art, I think the Western style has a certain charm to it, even if a lot of it isn't super polished like the Chinese. Also I don't agree on changing out some of the perfectly fine NA splash art like default TF and Blood Moon Akali, those were well done by Kienan and I think they have more important splashes to tend to (like default Akali and Soraka)

Money n hos

Smash Cadet
just saying that if you counterpick irelia with nidalee, ever, you just did something stupid. fnatic did something stupid, dont see why you have such a boner for them. every pro team makes hundreds of mistakes every game, the people who make more bigger mistakes lose.

also of course team comp matters, youre just acting like lane matchups are this thing in solo queue which is evaporated in competitive play. its complete garbage. team comp doesnt even require a lot. you need damage, cc, initiation, and counters to their team comp (ie kayle vs burst, maoki vs karthus, dps ap damage vs malphite, ads with position change against bruisers with effective gap closers).

so just stopppp trying to try and teach people how the game is played and learn something instead

also matchups mean a lot, because you cant rely on your opponent messing up. you have to plan that theyll play well with your champion, you cant assume anything else or you have potential to get *****

Lovage

Smash Hero
only ok to pick for comp over the matchup when you are like nautilus, malphite or ashe. don't be surprised if you get CP'd lane, probably lose by 20-40 creeps, but still win the game because you picked up one of the strongest ults in the game

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Veigar
Event Horizon will now always correctly stun enemies who use dash abilities to pass through it

Absolutely massive veigar buff. About time.

Coney

Smash Master
well, kind of

good veigars should be hitting their stun to begin with, so if you're not hitting fizz/akali/ahri with your stun you're ****ing up anyway

however this is HUGE for teamfights when you catch their graves and still die because ahri jumped through your wall to burst you down

this would have been a huge buff if AP alistar was still a thing, that was the most ****ing annoying veigar matchup ever, would just headbutt you when you tried to do anything and could jump thru the stun with it

Money n hos

Smash Cadet
only ok to pick for comp over the matchup when you are like nautilus, malphite or ashe. don't be surprised if you get CP'd lane, probably lose by 20-40 creeps, but still win the game because you picked up one of the strongest ults in the game
except losing a matchup by 30 cs isnt a counterpick if you contribute more later than they do.

you are picking for the matchup because you contribute more = you win the matchup, not in gold, but in terms of things that really matter aka killing nexus

i dont think winning lane = gold lead after laning ends, didnt think that anyone good actually thought that either. shouldnt assume i guess?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
so i just realized that no more elo loss from dodging means no more high elo players dodging low to "prove elo hell doesn't exist"

does this mean they'll start throwing games on smurfs to lose elo instead? hope not! good change anyway.

also interesting that i see 0 nerfs/buffs and instead bug fixes and QoL changes

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
just saying that if you counterpick irelia with nidalee, ever, you just did something stupid. fnatic did something stupid, dont see why you have such a boner for them. every pro team makes hundreds of mistakes every game, the people who make more bigger mistakes lose.

also of course team comp matters, youre just acting like lane matchups are this thing in solo queue which is evaporated in competitive play. its complete garbage. team comp doesnt even require a lot. you need damage, cc, initiation, and counters to their team comp (ie kayle vs burst, maoki vs karthus, dps ap damage vs malphite, ads with position change against bruisers with effective gap closers).

so just stopppp trying to try and teach people how the game is played and learn something instead

also matchups mean a lot, because you cant rely on your opponent messing up. you have to plan that theyll play well with your champion, you cant assume anything else or you have potential to get *****
This isn't about fnatic personally, this pro teams in general and how annoying it is to hear randoms saying how said pro team made such an obvious mistake. Pro teams of fnatic's level or beyond aren't gonna make a mistake of failing to consider something like a strongly disadvantaged lane MU, the mistakes they're gonna make are thing like mechanical mistakes, split-second decisions, or believing they have adaquet coping mechanisms for something. Everything in the opposing teamcomps is gonna be reasoned, no pro is just gonna say, pick tryn into malphite just cause her dur.

This is not to say that it might not be a mistake but it doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing.

For example, TSM pretty much picks vlad for dyrus whenever it's open in spite of the fact that he has plenty of bad lane matchups. As best I can analyze, they do this because they're confident that he's gonna contribute more then his opponent because of the nature of his character, but also they don't think the opponent will get too far ahead in lane due to the strong synergy between dyrus and theoddone. I would also think that because most of vlad's counters require substantial commitment, they're generally rather easy to gank.

I mean look at dignitas vs tsm at mlg, akali obviously wins the lane vs. vlad, but due to jungler pressure vlad won the lane.

There's a number of other factors like this, global pressure, how easy the lane is to gank for, which ultimately defines a lot more then whether the lane wins or loses in terms of who actually wins the laning phase even.

Frankly, this is directly out of the mouth of professional players, what I said is a paraphrased quote. Granted it makes sense to me and i've extrapolated on the ideas, but I don't see how you could possibly expect to compete in terms on credibility with actual pro players. Yes it (the original quote, not specifically my paraphrasing) was obviously oversimplified in that it seems to imply that you don't consider lane counters, but it was intended to make a point.

So yea, tell me I'm wrong conceptually and weigh your credibility against mine and I'm open to consider or adopt it. Tell me tsm or dignitas or even the middle tier professional teams like 4not or fnatic are wrong conceptually and weigh your credibility against mine to prove it... that makes no sense. What you should be doing is weighing your credibility against theirs, something which I think you'd obviously lose, unless you yourself are a professional player, in which case you've probably got some worthwhile insight.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Yeahhhhh sooooooo every single game in ranked now, someone dodges at champ select, been in queue for 40 minutes and not one has gone through

Riot ****ed up
i was talking to a few rioters about this thing and they said pretty much that it's a test run to see how it would end up

i told them exactly what would happen and they said "well we'll see"

:l

Top Bottom