• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Spending 6K on a laptop is dumb. You can spend 1.5-2k on a laptop and get the exact same speeds on absolutely anything you run lol. 16g of ram won't do anything for you, 8 gigs will run everything the exact same speed as 16 lmao. If you are going to spend that much money spend 3k on a desktop(which will be better in all aspects than the 6k laptop) so you can upgrade and fix it easier because laptops suck for gaming/longevity.

Edit: Oh lol you were joking. FML.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I wasn't joking.
Through the aussie site, the specs rack up to around 6k.
On the US site the spec racks up to 4kish
I got it for around 2k :)

I wasn't trying ot make out you need such specs to run league, lol. I was just saying my old laptop wasn't that good at running it, although its spec were pretty okay. I primarily blame the ****ty hard drive on it's failures and the bad design for it's cooling (as in, one ****ty bad positioned vent that gets slightly covered up by the laptop screen when on a flat surface with the screen opened at about 90 degrees)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I wasn't joking.
Through the aussie site, the specs rack up to around 6k.
On the US site the spec racks up to 4kish
I got it for around 2k :)
? That laptop you linked has 4 gigs ram and a dual core processor, you completely got ripped off if you spent 2k on that lol unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Unnecccesary. The average person doesn't even need the maximum specs. Bloated computers don't do anything for you but cost more.

I just bought a desktop for 834$ that will be able to run anything I want in the next five years, -and- looks incredibly badass. dat Black Friday.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Go into customise and then try maxing out everything :p
Still a waste of money :/.

Spend money to make desktops awesome, buying super expensive laptops doesn't make sense unless you are rich lol desktops are sooooo much better. But hey to each his own.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The specs I have are what was available at the best price. No, I don't need 16GB ram, but out of all the comps with SSDs available, they were all 16GB ram.

Would I spend 6k on a laptop? no.
Would I spent half that when I'm an economically stable position and can claim the costs on tax/when I got money for my old laptop?
"Waste" for others, but not so much myself.

And if I wanted a desktop I would get a desktop.
I wanted a laptop. I didn't mind getting what was close to the best available.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, building amazing desktops cost a lot more here than over there for one thing.
I also wanted a laptop. I like being able to do everything I like to do while moving :p
I will probably buy a thinbook once the prices come down a bit.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well, building amazing desktops cost a lot more here than over there for one thing.
I also wanted a laptop. I like being able to do everything I like to do while moving :p
Sucks about desktops costing more lol. You could do everything with the laptop I linked and have a desktop for 1k that could max everything made in the next 3 years probably over here lol just makes buying laptops to do things seem so :/.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Stop buying premade machines.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Don't complain desktops are more expensive when you're doing it wrong in every way. -_-
Errr... I was referring to making a desktop, not buying one. The cost of individual components here are more expensive than the US. Higher end specs often have to be shipped from over there too, adding to over all costs for each component.

Hardware is not my forte either, and I get little joy from tinkering with circuits, wires or screws.

jpak

Smash Lord
When you are a university student and spend time living on campus, and go home for let's say the weekend regularly having a laptop will help more if you plan on gaming in both places. There are also classes where sometimes it's better to have a laptop. Shaya is a university student.

Anyways, jungle changes are live. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1558036

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Having a laptop and a desktop hooked up with Dropbox would be cheaper if you want a laptop to take notes.

jpak

Smash Lord
Yes all they do is take notes. btw that doesnt mean i dont think shaya's laptop is ridiculous but some gaming laptops are quite manageable and good

Frolossus

Smash Lord
i7 2820
16gb ram
2000M

-

Eh, the last laptop was probably ****ty because of its ****ty cooling system that was really ****ty.
But still, I couldn't expect to play on super high specs without killing my ability to play the moment any flash, bang or pop occurs.

Australian internet is pretty balls.

-

Old laptop:

result = ****ty lol experience

New laptop:

Result = not ****ty lol experience
wtf overkill for anything

i seriously can't think of anything a laptop would need 16 gigs of ram for >_>

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
wtf overkill for anything

i seriously can't think of anything a laptop would need 16 gigs of ram for >_>
Don't worry bro, I GOT THIS.

> Runs league of legends in full spec
> Runs Xsplit recording and streaming at full specs
> Happens to like running every single program in the adobe master collection
> purposes memory leaks everything programs
> Still only at 7gb
> ****.

Also I don't believe Windows measures how much ram you have, but the processing speed of it.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I have a desktop running LoL at all max settings with lower scores at 60fps constant. I built it for $500 USD.
I would love to build my own desktop. Anyone got a guide or something that would help me do this? My current desktop runs LoL at 5-15 fps at the lowest settings. :/

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would love to build my own desktop. Anyone got a guide or something that would help me do this? My current desktop runs LoL at 5-15 fps at the lowest settings. :/
You can buy some really good prebuilt computers for 5-600 now, barely more than building your own. I'll link you some from newegg later.

Here are a few I found in a couple of mins:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229284

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227369 <- crazy cheap

Newegg has a lot of good stuff, sometimes you can find comps cheaper than if you were to make it yourself, look around there often.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828004-REG/ASUS_G74SX_DH72_17_3_inch_Windows.html

this is the one I'm getting in January.

I don't even own a desktop anymore. Being largely bedridden for over a year with a chronic illness requires me to just game on laptops. I miss tinkering with desktops, but I couldn't sit up in a chair and game.

My current laptop has "lasted" 4 years now, but it's an HP and hewlett packard is complete **** engineering coupled with the most shady and dishonest customer service on the planet.

If I can make one contribution to this topic that no one should miss, it's this:
Don't buy HP!
They won't honor your warranty.
They will steal from you when you send things in for repairs.
They will lie to you on the phone.
They will swear at you and hang up if you argue with them.
They will do this over and over and over and over.

It's almost like they have a bet going to see how long they can **** their customers in the *** and keep selling laptops because the CASES ARE SHINIER than the rest of the laptops on Best Buy. I swear to Jeebus Cripes that's the only reason they sell anything. They're good at picking good combinations of silver and glossy black.

Get into the IT world and service a few HP computers for your company, and then work with Asus computers afterwards. You won't believe the difference in engineering. Companies with decent IT departments are all bailing on HP products left and right because Asus and Acer have such better engineering it's ridiculous. Open an Asus laptop case up with a penny and you can do SO much to repair and replace. Or spend 45 minutes unscrewing tiny ****ing screws on your HP and then you'll need a magnifying glass to figure out what the **** is going on inside your case, and you'll have to take the god damn keyboard off to make a simple repair, and then the ribbon cables connecting everything are **** and are taped on with the worst tape on the planet.

It goes on and on and on.

They will run 1 single heat sink between your video card and your CPU, and bring all the heat from the video card straight to your CPU, and then they act all ****ing surprised when the CPUs and GPUs are all overheating like crazy, but they will refuse to acknowledge that it's their fault.

Their fans are ****. HP laptops seriously have the worst designs for airflow in the entire industry.

Look up Asus air flow for the g74 laptop series on youtube. It's like a ****ing corvette with these gangster air vents and killer fans.

Don't buy HP.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You can buy some really good prebuilt computers for 5-600 now, barely more than building your own. I'll link you some from newegg later.

Newegg has a lot of good stuff, sometimes you can find comps cheaper than if you were to make it yourself, look around there often.
Building your own is great experience for replacing single components later. Often cases and mobos will come with picture instructions on how to install the various components.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374

Thanks! I'll probably just get a prebuilt one after looking through that guide. Building one looks so complicated.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Asus is great.
My friends after I got my laptop:
Asus? What the **** is that and why wouldn't you just get a good brand you know about?

My friends a year later:
So how is your Asus running? My HP is broken again and I'm sick of it. Looking for a new machine.

Me this whole time:
:awesome:

Sure, my constant abuse of my poor battery brought its once three hour battery life while gaming/music/torrenting to a lovely hour at best... but my machine itself still purrs like day one.

Even a low end Asus > anything you could get from a company like HP. Depending on what you are looking for in terms of gaming, you can actually get an Asus pretty damn cheap with a dedicated graphics card. Sure, you won't be playing Crysis at max settings anytime soon, but if you're like me you just play LoL, TF2, and Old Republic (ohmygodhurryupearlyrelease).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I mean, I bought my computer 3 years ago, but I've replaced a ton of stuff in it lol. It's really easy even if you don't know what you are doing to build a computer or replace parts but not everyone enjoys it and some people are just paranoid that they will mess up their computer and for those people I suggest buying prebuilt computers.

It helps that you can buy super cheap good prebuilt computers if you know where to look now, this wasn't true just a few years ago.

Edit: Asus is amazing and I highly suggest them to anyone, for any of their products.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's intimidating to do your first build.

The best thing to do is find a friend who's done it a hundred times and have him hold your hand through the whole thing. He'll love every second of it because hardware guys are like that. You'll get the experience of doing a home build without having to troubleshoot everything your self.

I'm an OS and software guy, so my hardware experience is pretty minimal, but I've done maybe 20 home made builds over the years for myself and friends and family.

edit: I'm so glad everyone is on the Asus wagon.

I'm so excited about my new laptop. I'm putting a SSD in to run my OSs (windows 7, Ubuntu, and maybe one or two other linux distros, backtrack and mint likely.) Then I'll have a 750gb 7200rpm drive for data. 12 gigs of ram most likely, although I'm thinking about 16 just to make it future proof and let me be more lazy with how much I keep open.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
My friends after I got my laptop:
Asus? What the **** is that and why wouldn't you just get a good brand you know about?

My friends a year later:
So how is your Asus running? My HP is broken again and I'm sick of it. Looking for a new machine.

Me this whole time:
:awesome:
I agree, Nasus does have very good sustain

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dastrn your reasons for using laptops are similar to my own as well.
I've heard good things about Asus
Although I've heard good things about some PARTICULAR MODELS of HP computers only. But I've never really liked them. My first PC was a Compaq which was bought out by them and that "oh god terrible" feeling followed through.

I've only ever had dell laptops though. I was close to going asus though but couldn't find one I liked that didn't weigh 4kgs.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm fine with my HP. I just got rid of the bloatware and have never had to or would talk to their customer service as I can fix everything myself lol. I would never buy a laptop from them though.

I have a 24' Asus monitor that my girlfriend bought me that I absolutely love though :). We got an Asus computer for her and it's pretty amazing. 3.2 ghz 6 core processor 8 gig ram 1.5 terabyte hd and a pretty good video card for 540$ LOL was insane. We just had to replace the 300w ps for like 50$.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
****ing hell, its harder winning normals than it is winning 1800 ranked games

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Good games last night Zoso & company. Glad Mango showed up to help us break the losing streak.

Hey Honda... when we playing against Shroomed's team?

Top Bottom