• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Turazrok

Smash Master
Can't outrun a bear.

Admittedly she thought it was a good idea, I only had 1/4 health left and she was full. But lo and behold, I stomp MF then run away from the rest of her team, which my team flanks and aces,

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I solo killed a Mordekaiser as Udyr the other day. My only damage items were Wriggle's Lantern and Frozen Mallet, and I had lizard buff.

Chased him all the way from our top outer turret to their inhibitor turret in an extremely low speed battle before he FINALLY dropped. 8D

I also got an afk kill as Garen. Get on my level.

Turazrok

Smash Master
If you go back a while you see me say I aced a team. One time I fired my ulti with my eyes closed as ezreal and grabbed a double kill get on my level

Leacero

Smash Lord
Can't outrun a bear.

Admittedly she thought it was a good idea, I only had 1/4 health left and she was full. But lo and behold, I stomp MF then run away from the rest of her team, which my team flanks and aces,
A MF with full strut on would totally be able to outrun a bear.

S l o X

Smash Champion
VanZ was definitely playing MF @ VLS (Smash tourney) yesterday.

He was definitely rocking the EVE tag.

and Shroomed the VLAD tag @ Ownapalooza.

bought kass today but haven't really played. opinions on kass?

Vyke

Smash Champion
Rumors tell (More like... uh... red name Morello, Lead Champ Designer) that the next champ is going to be a female support focusing on the Bard theme. I forget her name, but she's in one of the Journals of Justice.

Boobs. Also, I am only playing Mundo for the rest of this month. CORPORATE MUNDO!!!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
bought kass today but haven't really played. opinions on kass?
He's anti Caster, and has some solid nuking, but with stronger nukers in the game he tends to get passed over. The strong AoE nukers definitely over him.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Kassadin is the best caster in the game IMO... -_-'

He's difficult to play correctly though.

EDIT: and he's really not anti caster... he's anti-spammer, but that tends to be manifest more vs. characters like Nidalee/Ezreal than traditional casters like Annie/Anivia.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah I play kassadin very hit or miss. (read: WRONG)

He should never die when you run cleanse and you should be able to chase any low health champ. He has an AOE slow and a single target nuke silence.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He's anti Spell use, there that covers it rofl.

IDK about him being the best caster. Most people who put him as the highest caster are Europeans actually; they LOVE Kass and kiting/poking more than our pretty beefy/tanky metagame.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
They play more then conservatively they play poorly.

Never in any DotA clone should you allow a lane to free farm the way Kennen and Annie did literally untouched for the first 20-25 minutes of the game.

The positioning of both teams during team fights was laughable and a lot of time the initiation just sorta seemed to happen.

Also their ward game was awful, come on placing a ward in the same spot a minute after being counterwarded.. thats just a waste of money.

I don't know for top level play a lot of it seemed like what you would see in a mid level DotA pub. Maybe it's because LoL is still really just trying to find its identity but I hope that's changing rapidly.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Kennen vs Annie was hilarious. Kennen got farmed and got scary REAL quick.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
It was like this hilarious stalement of them climbing into the 100's of 100's of creep kills and nothing happening to them.

Like ohh don't worry its just burst aoe stunners what can they do in a team fight PSHHH

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I take it they were top? One of the biggest problems with Summoner's Rift IMO is that top is basically impossible to gank without giving up a free dragon at a decent level of play. It's why I like Pantheon top so much... he can dominate most farm bots 1v1 and has a global ult to provide cross-map support when your team needs it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
They were but that imo shows the weakness of the game more so then anything else.

Giving a free lane in any sort of DotA clone is just >_>

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No I'm not being a negative nancy, i enjoy playing LoL just tell me where it is good game design that you have literally a free lane for you to farm your best team fighters with out any sort of worry and if they do attempt they actually put themself at a disadvantage?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I agree with you that it's an issue with the map, but again, counter strategies do exist. You wanna put your vlad solo top? great, good luck getting half the CS of my pantheon in the first 10 minutes.

I think that dragon and baron and buff creeps are very interesting and add a lot to the play, but can you think of a fair position for dragon that doesn't create the dynamic that we see at top lane right now? It just seems to be a problem without a good solution without a completely new map. I've also seen really rough no-jungle setups that completely zone your solo out with crap like Janna + Garen on one lane and Sion + Taric on the other. Right now the metagame is just slowly evolving, so I dunno, I'm just not convinced that it's as large of a problem as that particular game may have led one to believe.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well... you could have two Dragons. Each one giving 50-75% of the current EXP and Gold.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Baron is in a pretty fair spot IMO. It does slightly favor the top team in that you can "bd" it in your own jungle. For Dragon, idk. Having two dragons would be fun though. One on each end of the river.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
So, Mogweezy...right now, I'm getting flat AP quints, MPen marks, scaling mana regen seals for Kass. You recommended scaling AP for blue? Also, rocking Cleanse/Ignite.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
good veigar AD build is
Sheen/Manasume or Guinsoo/Brutaliser
Veigar has good farming to farm up his AP the thing with the AD build is that he can still be usefull to team fights after his cooldowns.

Also people who get snowball items like mejais or occult is pointless. why snowball when you can exlir up and get like 2 items with the same equivalent and sell em for better items.

Looking for 1300+ to duoq carry or tank through ELO hell

Skype is recommended. or vent if you own one.

add Eespia

S l o X

Smash Champion
I've been running Tele + Cleanse on Kass but you shouldn't take anything from me, I just bought Kass yesterday.

It runs pretty well. If I had Flash, I probably still wouldn't run it.

I haven't bought a single rune to this day. Then again, both my accounts are <LVL 12.

Cia

das kwl
I've been running Tele + Cleanse on Kass but you shouldn't take anything from me, I just bought Kass yesterday.

It runs pretty well. If I had Flash, I probably still wouldn't run it.

I haven't bought a single rune to this day. Then again, both my accounts are <LVL 12.
Don't spend IP on runes until u hit lv 20 so that you can buy tier 3 runes.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I know Iggy has saved up about 14k IP just for when he hits level 20. It's really a waste to buy anything before that.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Kevin, I think your complaint boils down to a general design issue, not so much a quality of play issue.

First, the game seems to be more about staying alive than it is about being aggressive and even clever on the attack to pick up kills. High level teams all seem to have a very narrow skill gap between them, so every kill and dragon matters. That's why it took 15 minutes to get first blood and why they kept warding and counter-warding dragon... because the team that gets those small advantages seem to leverage them instantly for a quick lead. For instance, when Omnigamer posted about playing one of the top level teams in the Alienware tournament, he mentioned that their bottom lane got behind in levels a little bit at the start of the match because of good harassment/denying and for the rest of the game their team just couldn't keep up. It's a razer-thin edge so everyone is passive, tentative on the attack, careful to ward the objectives and generally unwilling to take risks.

Second, Mogwai hit on this. The map design means top lane is relatively safe from ganks. Look who they put up there. Nidalee, Tristana, Vlad... characters with good escapes. If the other team commits to a gank there, you Ghost/Flash/Escape and your bottom and/or mid lanes grab a dragon. Whoops. Now your team got global experience and their team missed 30 seconds of farm and probably didn't get a kill for it. For lack of a better term, the map is "bottom heavy" since the dragon is so important and baron takes too long to do to commit to until you've cleanly won a team fight or have an inhibitor down and all five teammates up. Shoot... in that first game Dan Dinh got hit with a stun, cleansed, got hit with Ashe's ECA from across map and STILL was able to rocket jump to freedom. I think the teams are just content to say "our carry will be better at farming/harassing than their carry. We'll win by dominating other objectives."

I saw a post from a Riot staffer who said that Riot wants to seriously look at these issues now that they've seen "top tier" competition. I've also seen a post from HotShotGG freakin' out over how dragon control basically determines games in high level play. So we know its getting worked on. Hopefully it will be improved over time.

Actually, the new map might be an interesting twist on this. Somewhere I saw Riot say that the new map will be "less ganky" since it will be larger but still 5v5. Not sure how that will impact the game, but I guess it might actually make it slower and more focused on good laning. That might pull the attention off the neutrals a bit and force teams to be more aggressive. Shoot, if the middle turrets are farther apart, you'll have to commit more just to farm, so I'm sure we'll see more harassment of carries if that's the case.

But yeah... I dunno. The game is still growing and evolving, but my guess is its design issues more than player skill that is making you cringe. You are looking through DotA-colored glasses anyways, so your perspective might not be entirely fair either. ;)

S l o X

Smash Champion
Why run Ignite?

no seriously, why? guy does like 1800 damage and doesn't afraid of anything.

/super ignorance.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Helps him Nuke/helps for heals and regeneration. It's mainly noticeable early game. Hit 6ish, Q E Ignite and hopefully kill your target.

Top Bottom