• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I know Iggy has saved up about 14k IP just for when he hits level 20. It's really a waste to buy anything before that.
I still have also purchased tier 1 runes, they're mostly 15-30 IP each, and give half the bonus of a tier 3, seems silly not to pick up some tier 1 when they're that cheap.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
They will realistically probably not contribute enough wins to pay for themselves. You probably would still win or lose that game regardless of what tier 1 runes you have.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
buy mana regen per level tier 1s just so you can get out the stupid habit of buying useless mana regen items on characters that shouldn't need it.

that's what I did on my smurf. it's like a couple hundred IP and it reinforces good habits in your purchasing.

john!

Smash Hero
i'm kind of stuck now... anivia is easily my best character and i can dominate most games with her, but i hardly play her anymore because i'm looking for another character to get good at. still haven't found one that can come close to matching my success with the bird. i don't want to be a one-character wonder who gets screwed over because someone else wanted to play anivia.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What about her do you like/do well with? Nuking, AoE, skill shot, etc?

Cia

das kwl
i'm kind of stuck now... anivia is easily my best character and i can dominate most games with her, but i hardly play her anymore because i'm looking for another character to get good at. still haven't found one that can come close to matching my success with the bird. i don't want to be a one-character wonder who gets screwed over because someone else wanted to play anivia.

Try Morgana or Malzahar. I mained both Morgana and Anivia at one point and I think it's because I like ranged attackers. Same with you, maybe? I'm having a TON of success with Miss Fortune (most likely my best right now.. lol) So maybe you'd want to try her as well.

@Mogwai - I don't have a tank character because most of them don't appeal to me. I tried Nunu and I just don't do so well with him. So when I see that my queue needs a tank, I end up going Morgana and I go with an AP tank build.

So my question is Leviathan or Warmog's Armor? I've been told Warmog's is "horrible" but it works really well for me. I know it doesn't give resistance, but the HP + regen it gives seems amazing. Leviathan on the other hand is cost effective, but I have to net 10 kills just for the full effect. At least with Mejai's you gradually become a better killer.

advice plz :colorful:

Leacero

Smash Lord
Use freakin' Garen. Everyone can use Garen.

Try Morgana or Malzahar. I mained both Morgana and Anivia at one point and I think it's because I like ranged attackers. Same with you, maybe? I'm having a TON of success with Miss Fortune (most likely my best right now.. lol) So maybe you'd want to try her as well.

@Mogwai - I don't have a tank character because most of them don't appeal to me. I tried Nunu and I just don't do so well with him. So when I see that my queue needs a tank, I end up going Morgana and I go with an AP tank build.

So my question is Leviathan or Warmog's Armor? I've been told Warmog's is "horrible" but it works really well for me. I know it doesn't give resistance, but the HP + regen it gives seems amazing. Leviathan on the other hand is cost effective, but I have to net 10 kills just for the full effect. At least with Mejai's you gradually become a better killer.

Remember that you get a single stack from assists as well, so it'd be a bit faster. Especially as Morgana.

john!

Smash Hero
wow lol... just played a few games with morgana (before reading your post) because it's free week for her, and i did pretty well. i can see why she's banned sometimes, black shield is way too good. yeah i think caster/support characters are my type, because i've also been liking janna and zilean. i was hoping to get good at different character classes (i.e. tank, ranged dps, etc) but i'll take what i can get, i suppose.

edit:

*goes to buy morgana*

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
It seems to me that the most logical choice for an Anivia player is Annie. She might not be the best choice if Anivia is already on your team, but if the other team takes Aniv then Annie is a good choice.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Warmogs is generally bad because its really inefficient. It's very expensive to build and THEN you have to farm it up to get the maximum efficiency out of it. The time when you are getting your biggest farming done is generally the first 15 minutes when you are focusing on last-hitting creeps and during that time you can't afford Warmogs anyways. So once you've got it, now you have to go back to last-hitting creeps for a long time to make it an "efficient" buy. With the same gold, you can pick up other items that give you health and either armor or magic resist. It's not a terrible buy if you know you have time to farm, but generally there are other items that will give you more support, more quickly.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Hey guys look! My new main!

Sona

Power Chord (Passive)
After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals 50 + (15*Level) Magic Damage, and reduces the damage the target deals by 30% for 1.5 seconds. Additionally, Sona's Auras persist for 3 seconds after deactivating.

Hymn of Valor (Q)
Cost: 45/50/55/60/65 Mana
Cooldown: 7 Seconds
Passive Aura: Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, increasing nearby allied champions' Damage and Ability Power by 8/12/16/20/24.
Active: Sona fires bolts of sound, dealing 70/120/170/220/270 (+60% AP) magic damage to the nearest two enemies (prioritizes champions).

Aria of Perserverence (W)
Passive Aura: Sona plays the Aria of Perserverance, increasing nearby allied champions' Armor and Magic Resist by 8/12/16/20/24.
Active: Sona sends out healing melodies, healing Sona and the most wounded nearby allied champion by 50/75/100/125/150 (+60% AP).

Song of Discord (E)
Passive Aura: Sona plays the Song of Discord, granting nearby allied champions 14/18/22/26/30 bonus Movement Speed.
Active: Sona energizes nearby allies, granting them 14/18/22/26/30% Movement Speed for 1.5 seconds.

Crescendo (R)
Cost: 100/150/200 Mana
Cooldown: 160/140/120 Seconds
Sona plays her ultimate chord, forcing enemy champions in a line in front of her to dance, taking 150/250/350 (+70% AP) magic damage over 2.5 seconds.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
As is, Sona is WAY too powerful. Expect some nerfs before she hits live servers.

HP is BY FAR the most overrated tanking stat. There are a decently large number of skills/items that take % of your health (Xin ult, Bloodrazors, Kog's Bio Arcane Barage, Deathfire Grasp, Malz's pool, Amumu Despair, Nasus's Ult, Mundo Cleaver, WW Q, etc...) (SUPER EFFECTIVE vs. high HP low Armor/MRes) and there are only like, 3 sources of True Damage (...any other than Corki, Brolaf, and Cho?) (SUPER EFFECTIVE vs. low HP high Armor/MRes).

For this reason, I don't bother with Levithan or Warmogs, I think they're both bad items (unless you can get to 20 Levithan stacks, where that 15% damage mitigation is simply priceless).

Morg shouldn't have to change her core build to end up Tanky IMO. Rod of Ages -> Zhonya's Ring is already a complete ***** to actually kill with good Z-Ring timing. If you need to be beefier after that, you should grab something like Guardian Angel or Banshee's Veil.

Mogwai's Tanking Items Tier List:
Top Tier: Mercury Treads, Negatron Cloak, Chain Vest
High Tier: Guardian Angel (yes, even post-nerf), Banshee's Veil, Sunfire Cape, Heart of Gold
Mid Tier: Force of Nature, Quicksilver Sash, Randuin's Omen, Aegis of the Legion, Atma's Impaler, Frozen Mallet, Spirit Visage
Low Tier: Thornmail, Frozen Heart, Leviathan
Bottom Tier: Ninja Tabi, Warmogs, Everything else

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Because it's a fairly weak situational counter. There isn't a character out there who's like, "omg, need thornmail!" The only one above Low Tier that can't be considered a core piece of a tanking build is Quicksilver Sash, but it's very very powerful (hard counters numerous champs) and is a more frequently useful item than thornmail too.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
so people and there mejais... whats the deal with it. why get mejais for 1300 with no stacks . just get a blasting wand 40 ability power and get a elixr. its kind of the same effect but more effective right way. mejais is a waste of an item slot. like even if you get stacks on mejais youll be focused. if your focused in teamfights with elixr and blasting wands or needless large rod youll still respawn with that item... people dont build items that stack its pointless. just get two of the same good items and sell em for better items with that stuff you farmed it with.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
errr, not entirely true, stacking items do have their place. for instance, Kassadin is completely unkillable, so taking mejai's is an extremely efficient way to build towards the late game with him. old Pantheon needed an efficient way to build towards midgame damage without slowing his tanking items and he didn't need the damage immediately, he just needed it when people finally started to build armor items, so grabbing a quick SotO was core on him.

people shouldn't buy them as much as they do, but stacking items are still very high reward (albeit high risk as well).

Cia

das kwl
As is, Sona is WAY too powerful. Expect some nerfs before she hits live servers.
i was looking at those passives and thinking "omg.."

Morg shouldn't have to change her core build to end up Tanky IMO. Rod of Ages -> Zhonya's Ring is already a complete ***** to actually kill with good Z-Ring timing. If you need to be beefier after that, you should grab something like Guardian Angel or Banshee's Veil.
that's probably my problem. My build is something like..

Doran's Ring + potion
Archangel's Staff - I never have to b for mana. Makes clarity Irrelevant mid game and later.
Boots of Swiftness - let's me chase down flashers and escape. (if i have to b and have 1000g i'll just buy this before finishing AS)
Mejai's Soulstealer - *****. Cooldown is nice too.
Lich Bane - Makes my auto attack useful.
Void Staff - Magic Pen. is pretty nice
Zhonya's Ring - ****.(kick Doran's Ring)

(Clairvoyance + Clarity/Ghost)

Even with frequently purchasing Elix. brilliance and wards, I can usually pull off getting up to void staff. Needless to say this build works for me. So what should I take out for Rod of Ages?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I would run something like this:

D-Ring
boots 1
Catalyst
RoA
Sorc Shoes (mPen is bigger than the extra movespeed. Especially since your ult gives you the slow at the startup)
Z-Ring
GA
Void Staff

Catalyst is a lot stronger than Tear, and while Archangels will net you more AP late in the game, it's at the cost of well over 600 HP from Rod of Ages. They actually have great synergy with each other too (since RoA gives a ton of Mana as well) but they both peak in efficiency if you buy them earlier, so it's tough, especially since z-ring is so strong as a 2nd item because it lets you initiate a fight with black shield -> run into the middle of their team -> ult -> z-ring active.

EDIT: and I'd always run ghost, ALWAYS, lol. Ghost is hands down the best summoner spell right now, on everyone, bar none. Because of black shield diminishing the need for treads and cleanse, morg's 2nd summoner spell slot is pretty open, and I see a mix of Flash, Ignite and Clarity. Clairvoyance is very very strong at lower levels of play where your team never has a ward at the right spot though, so I think that's an acceptable 2nd spell for the time being.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I end up solo'ing a lot as Morgana so my second summoner spell is usually teleport (with, of course, Ghost) so that I can B out of lane, heal/buy and TP back before I've missed any significant farm or my tower has taken any major damage. If I know for sure I'm in a duo lane then I like Ignite or Clarity, depending on my laning partner.

I actually like Mejai's on Morgana, especially if I'm in a duo lane. It's really easy to farm up when you are paired with like... Garen or Xin Zhao, because you can just support them and rack up assists. If Morgana stays in the back of a team fight and then pops her ult once her team is already engaged, she can snag 2 or more assists in team fights too. Her ult at 20 stacks hurts so bad. Then again if your team has poor initiation then you should probably focus on your tanky items instead, since they'll be relying on your root to get in and take faces.

On Sona: Omnigamer described her as a walking baron buff. I'm a fan of that idea... although her auras go down when she actually pops her abilities, right? So during a battle her team won't benefit from them the same way they do during the passive phases.

What are everyone's thoughts on Manamune? I just tried a game as Ez where I rushed it instead of rushing BF sword and I felt like it delayed my true damage potential too much. Although it was nice not to have any mana problems. Even with regen blues/yellows, I tend to run out of mana a lot as Ez. I know Iggy really likes it for Ashe, since she can just spam volley without a care in the world once she's got it. Thoughts?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Manamune is great on AD champs who have mana issues that would normally buy Chalice. GP for example IMO benefits the most from it. Close second would be Pantheon. It's also pretty good on Corki, and it's not too bad on Nasus (although he tend to be better off with other items and using a ton of Mana Regen runes). It's definitely worth it on champs like GP and Pantheon since it gives you a full BF sword of Damage at 1500 Mana while solving your mana problems for the rest of the game, not to mention getting more efficient as the game goes on.

As for Snowball items, it depends on your champ. If you champ is better at assisting than outright killing, you probably should skip it unless you have a feeling the game will already snow ball in your favor. Kass for example it's staple on him, Morgana or Heimerdinger probably not as much. Morgana you are safer rushing RoA , getting the Tear, and then going Ring and after that finish building Archangels.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
manamune is a very powerful < 2K gold early damage item. the problem is that not a lot of characters or builds need something like that. one of the nice things is that it lets you pass up on the mana regen runes and open meki pendant with some characters (ez comes to mind, gangplank too), but I can definitely say that it's not viable on Pantheon in lane because he needs boots to play 1v1 and by the time you do your first B, it's too late to pick up your mana regen. I do buy it when jungling with Pantheon though because my build involves Wriggle's Lantern + Brutalizer which leaves about 2K gold wiggle room for another offensive item before I need to get my defensive items going, and manamune wins out over a BF Sword simply because it catches up quickly in damage and alleviates my reliance on golem (jungle panth doesn't need the mana regen runes early because of golem buff, but after 2 golems, you should be handing it off to your caster).

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I know Iggy has been having a lot of success building a Manamune on Ashe... or was it one of the other characters he plays?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It can work on Ashe. The main issue you might have is that it slows your IE down by quite a bit if you get Manamune + 2nd tier boots before it. I don't play her very often, but that's bout the only thing I see wrong with it on her.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Then again though, say she get Manamune and gets around a BF sword worth of damage from it. Then she buys a BF sword. A little less Gold overall than IE, 100ish damage. Then gets Fort Elixir . I think that Ashe might be stronger than the IE Ashe or at least on par. More Health, bigger Mana Pool by far, out puts nearly the same damage with crits factored in for both sides and definitely does more damage if Crits don't occur for either build.

Idk. I don't play Ashe enough to try it out on her in game and see how it impacts her.

john!

Smash Hero
Harsh reality sets in... I'm 0/3 in ranked games with Morgana because of feeders and leavers on my team. All 3 games the other team has over twice as many kills. Two of the games I managed a decent ratio; the third had smart opponents who would focus me in every team fight (because I was the only one who didn't die in laning phase) and I got accused by my team of dying too much, when they were the stupid ****s who fed the opponents in the first place. This happened with Trynd, Kennen, and Zilean too... I dominated normal games and got screwed in ranked. Maybe I need to just suck it up and cryo my way out of low Elo before I try other characters.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I talked with Iggy about it, and the slowing down of building an IE was an initial concern, but every game I've played with him he's been able to get both very quickly and hasn't been much of a detriment at all. That and he has no mana problems at all late early and mid game.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
Yah manamune horrible item on ashe. Mana regen per lvl in seals is all u need for her.

M3D and DMG are the only people I enjoy reading in this thread ;(

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dang. BUT THE DAMAGE!!!!

Lol. It's great for Plank and Pantheon though. I love being able to skip Chalice on GP.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I still stand by Manamune being good on Ashe. I also rush it on Sivir and it works wonders in place of a Chalice.

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
Dang. BUT THE DAMAGE!!!!

Lol. It's great for Plank and Pantheon though. I love being able to skip Chalice on GP.
^^ (finishing dot dot dot statement)....

....but yeah I hate it when I need a method of obtaining damage without sacrificing survivability vs a stun or banshees veil team. Meaning, longsword>manamune>boots>banshees veil not being an optimum build on pantheon. :psycho: /end sarcasm

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Is anyone good with stats? Basically the Manamune will delay your IE by about the cost of a BF sword, so what's better? A manamune, pickaxe, and agility cloak or an IE?

Sheen is still good on EZ. Manamune is good too but I think getting a brutalizer is more effective.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
^^ (finishing dot dot dot statement)....

....but yeah I hate it when I need a method of obtaining damage without sacrificing survivability vs a stun or banshees veil team. Meaning, longsword>manamune>boots>banshees veil not being an optimum build on pantheon. :psycho: /end sarcasm
...it's not an optimum build.

1. Opening long sword: BAD
2. No boots until 2K gold: BAD
3. No brutalizer: BAD

I'll bet you think you should spec your masteries offensively with Pantheon and lane bot with Janna or something too.

I'm willing to let anyone say quite a bit about a lot of characters, but unless your MakNooN or LoCicero just trolling me, I'm positive I know more about playing Pantheon than you ever will.

Is anyone good with stats? Basically the Manamune will delay your IE by about the cost of a BF sword, so what's better? A manamune, pickaxe, and agility cloak or an IE?

Sheen is still good on EZ. Manamune is good too but I think getting a brutalizer is more effective.
IE is better in terms of dishing out damage, +50% crit damage is really big. The plus of the 2nd option is obviously that you can then build an IE anyway then and you'll hit like a god**** truck.

Top Bottom