• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Villi

Smash Lord
Does anybody think the "Naritake Step" or "true pivot" could be useful? I figured out how to do it about a month ago, but a situation where I could use it has never popped up. (not that I was actively thinking one up or looking)

Here's a couple of videos if you're unfamiliar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tmLsflA_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=Bg61XaQvqMo

And Phanna's explanation is very useful if you can follow written direction: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162220

I practiced it with Zelda first, since she was easier to do it with. Marth is pretty easy, too. Sheik seems to have a longer fox trot animation, so you have to wait a little longer and it kind of messes up your flow of you don't have the small pivot down pat.

A simple and effective application is doing it into a down smash. A dash crossup into an ftilt could also work.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well I can see it being useful vs peach where you could retreat into a ftilt but other then that I don't see that much.

hmm... Although I guess you could dash behind someone and start AAA them in the back or ftilting. That might be effective against someone who shields a lot when you get close to them. I've been doing something like that with the dsmash for laughs.

Villi

Smash Lord
Yah, I was remembering your fox trotty video against b0x7 and figured if anyone might just have a knack for it, it would be you.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Yah, I was remembering your fox trotty video against b0x7 and figured if anyone might just have a knack for it, it would be you.
._.' I didn't know I had any videos of me vs Bo online. Are you sure it wasn't Khaos?

edit: Funny enough I stole that from light so he might be able to do it better

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I don't really know. True Pivot really is useful with characters that have good disjoint or long range. For Sheik, I just don't know. I suppose a true pivot -> Charged needles will be a nice defensive tool when retreating, but otherwise I don't really see too much use for True pivot with Sheik. =/

Tristan_win

Not dead.
:3 I just got a small but great idea to do in tournament play for now on.

In blind picks and after winning a match we should all select Zelda then depending on the character they pick switch to Sheik. This is perfectly legal and I can see being a great repellent for such creatures as the Ice climbers and Luigi among a few others.

It sounds like a scrubby plan but hey, do you want to fight ice climbers?

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman

In blind picks and after winning a match we should all select Zelda then depending on the character they pick switch to Sheik. This is perfectly legal and I can see being a great repellent for such creatures as the Ice climbers and Luigi among a few others.

Maybe :3 (Ima crazy guy)

rathy Aro

Smash Lord

Are you sure this is legal in tournies because that would pretty much defeat the point of double blink pick. If it is, I'm definitely doing this.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
is sheik more effective on the ground or in the air? or does it depend on the opponent's character?
Sheik better on the ground.

i think what tristan means is start off the match with a transform
No I'm not. Transforming at the very beginning of the match would be horrible in tournament play as your immediately put on the defensive and most likely get more then 10% for doing so.

We aren't changing characters but changing the form they start in.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I was just wondering how useful is the grab release> f-tilt> grab pummel> repeat combo (if it is a combo).

I haven't messed with it a whole lot. So yeah... just wondering. <,<

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well for one thing it's not a combo. When a ground grab release happens both characters are given the same exact amount of stun before they can do anything beside Dk and Boswer who is given 10 frames less and Ness and Lucas who are given more frames of stun. Besides those four though if a ground break does happen and your opponent just holds shield and you smash jab button (two frames attack vs two frames shielding) you get powered shield.

What’s good about the ground break is that doing this makes little RPC system comes into play of Jab loses to shield, shield loses to grab, and side step loses to rapid jabs. If you both jab then you will cancel each other out unless your jab is faster (2 frames) compared to sonics 3 frames means you win!

You can do other attacks like the ftilt(4 frames) but if your opponent shields(2 frames) or has a attack which makes him invaluable(marth up B) or has a attack faster then 4 frames you are at risk. Although the risk can be out weighed if they are now in ftilt lock % or decay ftilt into usmash %.

I made a thread talking about the distance someone slides after a force ground break in training mode and if they are still within jab range. I haven't retested it in Vs but so far it looks to be accurate.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210114

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whoa, your frames are a bit off there. Sheik's ftilt hits on frame 5, shield is active on frame 1 and will powershield on frames 1-3.

clowsui

Smash Legend
umm tristan that's illegal i'm pretty sure
zelda and sheik are two completely different characters that are unified by a command whereas PT is a forced switch (just to cover that avenue of argument)...when you say "sheik" you are bound to use sheik by the rules of the blind pick; the pick is meant to force a specific situation where neither person has a real advantage in terms of character selection, thus switching to zelda on the selection screen defeats the purpose of this system
on the whole "winning the next match thing" the whole purpose of them CP'ing a stage and seeing if you switch or not and then picking a character based on that decision is defeated if you are allowed to switch to zelda. if you are playing zelda and then you say "i stay" after battlefield is picked and the person goes snake, his advantage disappears if you go sheik by quite a bit, right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Indeed, the only thing you can "secretly" double-blind anticounterpick is Samus/Zero Suit Samus.

clowsui

Smash Legend
true.
hmmm did you guys cover that realm of discussion in the ruleset ankoku?
and another question: are you going to c4~? i want you to teach me sheik stuff =)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Unlikely. It's in two weeks, and in all likelihood I'll be dead in the upcoming week.

saviorslegacy

Well for one thing it's not a combo. When a ground grab release happens both characters are given the same exact amount of stun before they can do anything beside Dk and Boswer who is given 10 frames less and Ness and Lucas who are given more frames of stun. Besides those four though if a ground break does happen and your opponent just holds shield and you smash jab button (two frames attack vs two frames shielding) you get powered shield.

What’s good about the ground break is that doing this makes little RPC system comes into play of Jab loses to shield, shield loses to grab, and side step loses to rapid jabs. If you both jab then you will cancel each other out unless your jab is faster (2 frames) compared to sonics 3 frames means you win!

You can do other attacks like the ftilt(4 frames) but if your opponent shields(2 frames) or has a attack which makes him invaluable(marth up B) or has a attack faster then 4 frames you are at risk. Although the risk can be out weighed if they are now in ftilt lock % or decay ftilt into usmash %.

I made a thread talking about the distance someone slides after a force ground break in training mode and if they are still within jab range. I haven't retested it in Vs but so far it looks to be accurate.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210114
I was thinking along those lines. Thanks for clearing it up! ^-^

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Whoa, your frames are a bit off there. Sheik's ftilt hits on frame 5, shield is active on frame 1 and will powershield on frames 1-3.
I'm sorry Ankoku, I was using the numbers Ankoku gaven to us in the frame data thread.

Accurding to Ankoku thread OP ftilt hits on 4 and sheild works on frame 2. Also using the knowledge that Zss jab hits on frame 1 and that they have threads deicated to charaters that inable them to do a AAA combo after a ground release made me belive that the sheild comes out on frames 2.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
WIP for a reason. Smash Lab (that is, a couple of us using the frame-by-frame hack) has since figured out the workings of shield (it will powershield stuff on frame 1 even though it doesn't look active yet) and InnocentRoad was in fact correct about when ftilt connects in his later post in that thread.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
WIP for a reason. Smash Lab (that is, a couple of us using the frame-by-frame hack) has since figured out the workings of shield (it will powershield stuff on frame 1 even though it doesn't look active yet) and InnocentRoad was in fact correct about when ftilt connects in his later post in that thread.
Then would you please update your thread OP so there will be less confusion about this type of thing. I mean how am I suppose to sound like I know what I'm talking about when my sources aren't up to date?

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Does anyone know of any vids with a sheik camping really well? I want to improve my camping game, especially against wario. Any tips for needle camping would help too.

Villi

Smash Lord
I have vids against Wario. They might help, though I wasn't actively camping him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xSudJNphM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3zLPzVUUk

Watch how people react to needles. Given: They don't want to get hit. Charge your needles, count your ticks and watch what they do. If they shield, dash up and grab. If they sidestep, dash behind and pivot grab or dash shield into ftilt. If they roll in, ftilt, dsmash, grab. If they roll away, shoot. If they jump, SHORYUKEN!

You have to time to predict their defense, which is why I suggest you count your ticks. If you think they're gonna jump, great way to end a stock. Floaty characters seem to like this option -- Marth might want to punish with fair (tic - jump - up smash - gg). I had a Meta Knight who liked to jump onto BF platforms so he got teh upsmahs.

PS Snake might not give a **** and ftilt ftilt ftilt and Sheik flies away. u_u

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Was it ever confirmed that B Airs still chained on a footstooled/non teched opponent, even with SDI?

I remember seeing it in an old InnocentRoad's footstool punishing video, he footstooled, chained rising and falling B Airs then did needle storm to single needle to DACUS (note, I know those last three are legit).

saviorslegacy

Wait.. I just googled the thing. -_- I thought it was something else. IDK that it was "Reverse Airiel Rush". -_-

thnx anyways though

Now I just gotta learn proper spacing, Narituka (IDK how the h3ll you spell it) step and how to DACUS without fail (I can do it... just not every time).
Any hints for the above?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You realise the recent post involving the DACUS and Naritake Step was an April Fools right? They shouldn't be your top priorities. Proper spacing>>>Any AT evar.

But because I'm a helpful soul:
1) Seeing as you can already do DACUS semi consistently, you have the technique itself down, to improve consistency from there you simply need practice.
2) Naritake step is "dash input > dash input (cancel) > reverse crouch." Think 661 on the number pad.

saviorslegacy

You realise the recent post involving the DACUS and Naritake Step was an April Fools right? They shouldn't be your top priorities. Proper spacing>>>Any AT evar.

But because I'm a helpful soul:
1) Seeing as you can already do DACUS semi consistently, you have the technique itself down, to improve consistency from there you simply need practice.
2) Naritake step is "dash input > dash input (cancel) > reverse crouch." Think 661 on the number pad.
Yes I do realize it. However, I had seen RAR posted before, but IDK what it was. So when Chok posted that it made me curious. I was also working on every tactic that Sheik has. I had forgotten about the Naritake Step and thought I would look into it. As far as DACUS goes... pffff. I've been working and that stupid technique for weeks now. I have to say just one thing though. "OMFG" There.. that is what I wanted to say.

Well guys... who wants to vote Sheik as the most technical character in Brawl? (I main her because of this.)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sexy finding Speed.

Oh and there's a fairly good chance I'm going to a tournament today although I'm a bit worried about getting back >.>

^_^ I hope I get ***** so I'll get serious again.

Top Bottom