• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
in my recent match ups against Sinking (they are online but needless be) using the Chain Lock on certain characters recoveries will get a guaranteed gimp if you keep it going (Chain Guarding)

I can see it being very useful for punishing Roll Dodgers and spot dodgers who like to stay in front of you or try to get behind, because the roll gives the chain enough time deploy and they're always in the right position to start getting ***** by the chain lock. You get a nice 33-50% off the most the time if they DI.

It's good against MK, awesome in fact and something that is going to aid the favor of the battle to Sheik.

I also use it as a spacing approach, for the first time people never seem to expect Sheik to be able to hit them with something other then a RAR Bair, Dash attack, Shield grab, spot dodge to Dsmash etc. And just like dashing and tossing a needle, you can dash, throw the chain and let the tip stun, retract and it is nice for getting people off to the edge when they're close to it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I haven't done much research in the matter but a few months back I thought the chain would be the ultimate tool against tether recoveries such as Olimar, and Zss...especially zss since edge guarding her normally can become a bit tricky at times.

Does anyone know the exact specs for tether recoveries? Like how many frames it takes them to get pulled up to the ledge and if they gain in inv frames upon going up to the ledge?

With my current understanding this shouldn't be the case but I see it fail to do so with my online testing...

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Well as far as Tether recoveries go Sheik has the fastest/longest one in the game correct?
Others in order priority would be,
Zero Suit Samus, Ivysaur, Olimar, Lucas, Toon Link, and Link and Samus

and all of them, including Sheik, only get invincibility frames while actually touching the ledge. I don't know the exact frames though.

EDIT: I think there might be a very very slight moment of invincibility when the tether/chain actually connects with the Ledge, because one of Snakes grenades were near me and exploded while I had just thrown it out and was barely swinging to where I'd stand still. The hitbox is large on those enough to where it should of hit me but didn't so. Hmm *shrugs*

Q. Anyone have any good tips/ways on how to train and condition your teching? like in Training, certain items, levels, etc.?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Q. Anyone have any good tips/ways on how to train and condition your teching? like in Training, certain items, levels, etc.?
What I do is create a stage and create a box where you fight a computer or someone. In the box, almost anywhere your opponent hits you, you will be able to tech off the walls or ground. ;)

What is a good secondary for Sheik?

I heard DK is; but I don't know. Maybe something with a projectile?
Zelda is always a great secondary for Sheik and she has a projectile :p.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Why don't people use the dash into space full hop nair as a approach?

Why don't people use the chain as a poker within there normal play when it can't be side step or shielded?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Meta Knight is fully capable of punishing it by jumping up and hitting you before your nair is over. Also, anything that involves you spacing for a hit on the rise suggests a stationary opponent.

Chain is nice, but slow enough on startup to still be risky. Also, you probably don't want to try it against Marth.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Chain is nice, but slow enough on startup to still be risky. Also, you probably don't want to try it against Marth.
Well, that just leaves the rest of the cast...

What is a good secondary for Sheik?

I heard DK is; but I don't know. Maybe something with a projectile?
I don't know why people always act as if this is some mysterious or character specific thing. The higher the tier, as a general rule, the better the matchups and therefore the more problem matchups it covers (which is the strategic reason for a secondary). So MK, G&W, Snake, Marth, Wario etc. all make great secondaries.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Does anyone know the exact specs for tether recoveries? Like how many frames it takes them to get pulled up to the ledge and if they gain in inv frames upon going up to the ledge?
I know it's a little late to answer this question. With Sheik's tether recoveries, it's pretty much instant. I know this because when I tether guard someone's recovery and end the game, the game slows down by a lot before going into the stats menu. During that time, I retract back to the ledge and it was still instant (as in I couldn't see Sheik move from hanging by the chain to grabbing the ledge). If you want, you can go into training mode and set the speed to the slowest option possible and try it.

Samus has the longest tether recovery horizontally, and ZSS has the longest tether recovery horizontally. This I'm almost positive on.

Link and toon link tether recoveries does not have invincibility frames when they retract to the ledge, so I would assume that every one else's doesn't either. But some are just fast enough to not get hit by anything. :chuckle:

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Is there anything I can do to help improve my sheik game if I can't play brawl? [My Wii got a bad case of the random multi-colored specks and chainsaw-sounding loads, so I had to send it into Nintendo. ;_; I miss it already]

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Is there anything I can do to help improve my sheik game if I can't play brawl? [My Wii got a bad case of the random multi-colored specks and chainsaw-sounding loads, so I had to send it into Nintendo. ;_; I miss it already]
Well if you can't play the game, or practice techs I guess the only options you have for self improvement is learning combos/killing percents, and ~shrugs~ rethinking strategies.

That's really about all you can do...I suggest memorizing the decay ftilt into usmash combo and usmash killing %s data.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Wierd, I just looked at the HOBO 15 results and Sethlon placed 9th going solo Sheik. I didn't even know he played Sheik.

*Edit* Jerm says it's because it's only three days old lol.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
does shiek have a spike?

sry im a noob to her
To the best of my understand, kinda

Like there are reports of Sheik utilt and dtilt suddenly having a spike like knock back but no one has been able to recreate them and since it's so rare there not a lot of interest in studying it.

edit: Oh and the fair has a semi spike properties depending on where you hit them with it but it will never send them anymore upward then perfectly horizontal away.

Villi

Smash Lord
I stage spiked ONCE with Sheik's dtilt while someone was hanging on the ledge in the entire year this game has been out. It was probably freaky DI because o.O

Villi

Smash Lord
Most likely the foot. It was a long time ago. I could see how DI the foot incorrectly might lead to a stage spike.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hey do you guys think Sheik can beat falco or at least do fairly well on Jungle Draps?

I mean with the whole cross out beginning stages, counter picking, and banning it's pretty obvious for luigi, ice climbers, and kirby match up not to mention Diddy that you do not want to be on FD with them so that's the stage you will ban. Then if you happen to fight a characters such as Olimar, diddy, ice climbers you could bring them to either Rainbow cruise or Jungle drapes...Maybe nofair but I don't know that stage very well.

Because meta knights, kirbies and so on are better on Rainbow then sheik it would be wiser to counter pick a stage that we have a higher chance of winning on which I think might just be Jungle drapes.

Villi

Smash Lord
I guess you can stay away from the left side of the stage until he can't dthrow > dair you. You could probably camp the far right platform until he does enough damage to you with lasers or whatever. I think safe is 40% or so, I dunno.

Japes seems like a pretty regular stage to me besides the water. I like the platform in the center. It's like the one on Yoshi's Island except it doesn't suck. Camping the side platforms and illusions etc are pretty shallow strategies, so I don't see what Falco has besides the spike.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Sheik can handle Falco on Japes. Sure, he's got illusion but if you're staying near the ledges then you deserve it and it's not like Illusion is THAT quick anyway. Chain tricksies work just as well and if you can get the percentage lead and be awkward, he can't camp you. You would however be severely restricted and until you're out of CG percentage range, limited strictly to the right platform.

Meh, I still think there are better options seeing as Falco benefits from the stage about as well as you in this matchup. Norfair FTW.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I think we should create a Sheik match up thread since we don't have one. It would help people learn match ups better rather than just looking at the match up listings already stickied, and will enable us to discuss the match ups in one thread instead of creating multiple threads for one specific match up. Also, some new things are being discovered for other characters that could really affect the match ups, like Pikachu's cg on Sheik to 100+%.

What do you guys think?

East

Crappy Imitation
I think we should create a Sheik match up thread since we don't have one. It would help people learn match ups better rather than just looking at the match up listings already stickied, and will enable us to discuss the match ups in one thread instead of creating multiple threads for one specific match up. Also, some new things are being discovered for other characters that could really affect the match ups, like Pikachu's cg on Sheik to 100+%.

What do you guys think?
Less talk, more work. Get on it!

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Does Sheik have a chain grab on Fox, cuz I was thinking bout: Uthrow ---> short hop fair ---> (maybe ftilt to make sure Fox doesnt jump) ---> repeat all.......I havent tried this myself but does anyone think it will work?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
No, there is way too much lag after the up throw to follow up with anything guaranteed.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Nope, they have enough time to jump away.

The only thing that you might be able to follow from a throw is Fthrow > Fair if they don't DI far enough away or have an aerial fast enough to hit you. Same with Bthrow except you follow up with Bair.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Oh.....well I can almost guarantee someone has looked into this so I can say this isnt gonna work though.

But you know Sheik's dtilt can lock some chars like Wolf (til around 30%) and Fox, Tristan used it on me and ***** me with it and I used it aganist some Wolf on wifi and it worked nicely

East

Crappy Imitation
Whose this Flamingo scrub? I heard he's a metaknight main who planks, lol jk.

I won't be there because I couldn't find anyone to give me a ride. I even offered to give people money for gas. I'm kinda SOL unless anything changes. Then again, I also think that it was a bad idea having a tourney where brawl is on Sunday, and melee on Saturday. Seems like it should be backward. I did some Ctrl+F searching and I didn't see any of the other Sheik user's names on the list. Bust : /

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Sorry guys. Haven't posted in a while, but forgive both the absence and the double post.

I just want to say... Brawl+ made brawl fun for me again. Check it out.

Plus Sheik is beastin' in it. I highly recommend it. Also it's more competitive IMO. Just needs a stonger playerbase.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sorry guys. Haven't posted in a while, but forgive both the absence and the double post.

I just want to say... Brawl+ made brawl fun for me again. Check it out.

Plus Sheik is beastin' in it. I highly recommend it. Also it's more competitive IMO. Just needs a stonger playerbase.
One word

Melee.

Top Bottom