• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

AphoticBankai

Smash Cadet
How useful would you guys consider learning Zelda to be?

I actually started as Zelda and would switch to Sheik sometimes when I just couldn't do well, and people started to say my Sheik was better, and THEN I came to the boards and really learned Sheik.

But I know sometimes against heavier characters with good recoveries (mostly Snake <_<) I'll be pushing them into the 200%s before I can get the kill with Sheik, and the one thing I always liked about Zelda was the early kills I could get.

Is it worth trying to legitimately LEARN Zelda so that if I get a chance I could switch around when they're at 120%ish and go for a quicker kill?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
you could but there isnt much to learn really since you are going for the kill when you switch to zelda and that is it, dtilt is the main setup move

ComradeSnake

Smash Cadet
Sorry, you guys are probably tired of hearing questions about the whole shiek=zelda=shief thing but...

If you pause right after initiating the change then it takes much less time and is much harder to punish. Is this legal in tournaments?

kthxbai.

J4pu

Smash Champion
there are many reasons pausing is banned in tournaments but for this case why should you be allowed to improve one of your moves? if you used transform, you used transform. You don't see ganon players at all being allowed to unplug their opponents controllers if they use Utilt. Rules are not made to improve a characters moveset.

Judo777

Smash Master
Anyone know the priority on vanish i dont think its transcendent but it might be ill check later anyone know?

Nevermind i checked it. It IS transcendent. Lol all of sheiks b moves are transcendent.

Judo777

Smash Master
Hey guys i'm just curious as to why we have never finished having a complete frame data for sheik. I can't even find the one east posted and the one in the tactical discussion is missing chain vanish and DA.

febs

Smash Cadet
looked thru the catalog was hoping to find a sheik player finder thread. didnt seem like you guys have one, just wanted to make sure do you guys?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hey guys i'm just curious as to why we have never finished having a complete frame data for sheik. I can't even find the one east posted and the one in the tactical discussion is missing chain vanish and DA.
I don't know how accurate it is but back in the day when I tested the frame data this is what I wrote down.

You will notice I didn't do cool down and some of the moves don't have disadvantage listed, well that's because I didn't care to do cool down because and East data seem to cover it well enough and testing disadvantage isn't something I find enjoyable if I knew the results weren't going to be favorable

Link to east thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255484&highlight=frame

Sheik Frame data
Dtilt
Start up: 4
Hit: 5
Hit stun 7
Shield stun: 9
Disadvantage: 22
Ftilt
Hit stun: 3
Shield stun: 6
Disadvantage: 12
Utilt
1st
Hit stun: 7
Shield stun: 7
Disadvantage: 15+
Note: 2nd hit is too slow
2nd
Hit: 26
Disadvantage: 15
Jab1
Start up: 1
Hit: 2
Jab2
Start up: 14
Hit: 15
Disadvantage: 14
Dsmash1
Start up: 3
Hit: 4
Hit stun: 10
Shield stun: 13
Disadvantage: A lot.
Fsmash
Fsmash1
Start up: 11
Hit: 12
Disadvantage:?
Fsmash2
Start up: 30
Hit 31
Hit stun: 8
Shield stun: 11
Usmash1
Start up: 10
Hit: 11
Hit stun: 12
Disadvantage: ZERO =^_^=
Usmash2
Shield stun: 14
Strong Nair
Start up: 6
Hit: 7
Weak Nair
Fair
Bair:?
Hit: 9
Shield stun: 12
Weak nair
Uair
Hit stun: 9
Needle1
Needle2
Needle3
Needle4
Shield stun: 15
Needlefull
Shield stun: 21

Aerial needle storm

Judo777

Smash Master
I don't know how accurate it is but back in the day when I tested the frame data this is what I wrote down.

You will notice I didn't do cool down and some of the moves don't have disadvantage listed, well that's because I didn't care to do cool down because and East data seem to cover it well enough and testing disadvantage isn't something I find enjoyable if I knew the results weren't going to be favorable

Link to east thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255484&highlight=frame

Sheik Frame data
Dtilt
Hit stun 7
Disadvantage: 22
Ftilt
Hit stun: 3
Shield stun: 6
Disadvantage: 12
Utilt
1st
Disadvantage: 15+
Note: 2nd hit is too slow
2nd
Hit: 26
Jab1
Start up: 1
Hit: 2
Jab2
Start up: 14
Hit: 15
Disadvantage: 14
Dsmash1
Start up: 3
Hit: 4
Disadvantage: A lot.
Fsmash
Fsmash1
Start up: 11
Hit: 12
Fsmash2
Start up: 30
Hit 31
Usmash1
Start up: 10
Hit: 11
Hit stun: 12
Disadvantage: ZERO =^_^=
Usmash2
Strong Nair
Start up: 6
Hit: 7
Weak Nair
Fair
Bair:?
Hit: 9
Weak nair
Uair
Hit stun: 9
Needle1
Needle2
Needle3
Needle4
Shield stun: 15
Needlefull
Shield stun: 21

Aerial needle storm
i might just be blind but i dont see DA on there or the chain.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
i might just be blind but i dont see DA on there or the chain.

You sir are correct, there is no data on the dacus or the chain in that. I also can't find the original copy of the testing I did which I THOUGHT was in that doc, however

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9642627&postcount=1380

I wasn't a **** and kept the info to myself so there you go.

edit: This happens a lot with me in testing, like at one point I tested the shield disadvantage of all of Snakes moves on the ground, roughly learned all the numbers but then forgot to save it. Funny enough I always make the rough copy in notepad which also cause for this "lost of data" to occur.

Another funny note is how unorganized my data is, like in the doc title “Sheik frame data” I have written down for one reason or another my grandmother address right in the middle of it.

Judo777

Smash Master
You sir are correct, there is no data on the dacus or the chain in that. I also can't find the original copy of the testing I did which I THOUGHT was in that doc, however

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9642627&postcount=1380

I wasn't a **** and kept the info to myself so there you go.

edit: This happens a lot with me in testing, like at one point I tested the shield disadvantage of all of Snakes moves on the ground, roughly learned all the numbers but then forgot to save it. Funny enough I always make the rough copy in notepad which also cause for this "lost of data" to occur.

Another funny note is how unorganized my data is, like in the doc title “Sheik frame data” I have written down for one reason or another my grandmother address right in the middle of it.
Oh wow thnx alot man 6 frames is pretty good for a DA. Also good job organizing it into that range category good idea. Isn't a shield drop 8 frames tho so OoS should be +8? Idk tho im not as smart with this stuff as u guys.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Oh wow thnx alot man 6 frames is pretty good for a DA. Also good job organizing it into that range category good idea. Isn't a shield drop 8 frames tho so OoS should be +8? Idk tho im not as smart with this stuff as u guys.
Ankoku frame data says it's 7 but it's been a little off before. When doing the OoS DA it's a pretty good idea to get into the habit to smash the directorial stick toward your opponent and your C stick down as your shield drop for best results.

edit: well look at me, posting and being helpful. I thought I retired. ~goes back to studying~

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I guess it's this place's turn for me to ask this.

Long story short: I would like the point-of-view of Sheik users about the Pit v Sheik matchup. While I myself don't have no info on Sheik. Here's where I ask this:

May I get the help of some knowledgeable Sheik mains about the Pit v Sheik matchup so I could complete this matchup via highly-detailed summaries? (I have a format on the document that holds all of Pit's matchups)
The best way to contact me is on AIM (which I'll be on almost always), and sorry if I am kinda wasting time. I just wish to get these matchups done. And how many Sheik players do I need to help out? Well, I don't mind how many, though I prefer about 1 or 2 knowledgeable ones (that includes telling me how much and when Pit is affected by F-tilt locks, and any other Sheik trick that I need to be aware of).
I'll appreciate the help, guys, and thanks in advance.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@A. Pit: I can get back to on this later. I've got plenty of exp from playing R@vyn and SilentPinoy but sadly this is a MU where I also kind of struggle. I'll discuss when I am free.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'll appreciate the help with that. Whenever you got the time, just AIM me up and I'll get to it ASAP. And I don't mind having more than 1 Sheik provide info, for the more the merrier. And thanks very much; you make me feel welcome around, unlike some other boards I have been around before.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Sorry I haven't gotten to you man; I've just been so busy finishing up this semester. My final final is 2moro and I got a grad party this weekend. You're on AIM a lot right? I'll just randomly tag you from time to time.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I understand bout school troubles, so take your time, though I myself may not have completely much time, well being kinda grown up and all. You know how it gets when life soon takes you away from gaming.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I have some questions concerning Sheik's needles.

Is it better to find time to charge your needles and release them as a full burst from time to time or throw a needle or two at your opponent frequently?

Also, how useful is a short-hopped needle-throw for ledgeguarding? Would I be better off chasing them offstage with N-Airs, F-Airs, and B-Airs?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Needles, in terms of SH'ing them of stage is really dependant on the character's recovery IMO.

As far as throwing them burst vs. One or two, I'd tell you that you can't go wrong with either way. They cause disruption and chaos and that's a good thing.

Judo777

Smash Master
I have some questions concerning Sheik's needles.

Is it better to find time to charge your needles and release them as a full burst from time to time or throw a needle or two at your opponent frequently?

Also, how useful is a short-hopped needle-throw for ledgeguarding? Would I be better off chasing them offstage with N-Airs, F-Airs, and B-Airs?
To be honest i would say that everything concerning needles is honestly matchup dependent. Burst can be good if u want a free 18% punisher but its also nice to throw them to disrupt ur opponents timing. However i don't think there is any matchup where either cant be useful so i guess it really up to experience.

Offstage IMO it never hurts to hit someone offstage with a needle or two it always messes peoples recovery up a little even if its not an important amount. Id really say that if they are in a position where u can it them with an aerial in a good spot then do it but if not go for needles if u can.

I would only suggest throwing needles at MK offstage however its too risky to go offstage against him.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Burst is a guaranteed punish to people who like to jump and land with an air-dodge. Any number of needles is fine for disruption.

No number of needles can beat PK Fire, unfortunately. :(

Variable

Smash Ace
Can they beat Lucas's?
Not sure... =/

To get more opinions on your other question:

Needles: I normally use the 18% punisher, but like everyone else said either way it messes up your opponent. I tend to use 1 hit needles for faster characters so it slows them down. Characters like: MK (Completely shuts down tornado too) Sonic, pika, diddy, fox, etc. Anybody who is farily quick. However towards your heavier characters like Snake or DDD I use the fully charged needles, because it's easy to catch the slower characters off guard.

SH Needles:

MOST of the time If you have the chance, go for Fair, Bair, or Nair when trying to edge guard. Sheik is really good at edge guarding and gimping, so it's best to take advantage of it everytime you can get your opponent off the map. Still, Needles do throw off peoples recovery, so it isn't a bad move.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure I tested on Lucas', specifically. The PK Fire bolt manages to eat all six needles without detonating.

I almost forgot, toss a needle to punish ledgehops for characters like Mario, Marth, etc. because getting hit out of the air forces you into a hard landing from any height, so if they don't react and just do a neutral landing after getting needle'd then you have enough time to usmash them for it.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Hi.

What's the general opinion on Sheik's whip? I hardly ever use and I've been told that I should incorperate it more into my game. Is it useful/do you find yourself using it in specific situations? Or is it just a ****ty move that should be avoided?

Sowie if this has been answered in this topic already, I just want the current opinion on it. <3

I'm not very good either, Sheik's my secondary behind Snake.

Edit: Errr, and by whip I mean chain, wtf. >_>

Top Bottom