• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God gave me a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I used to be a very close minded Atheist, and I just didn't want to hear anything about religion etc, but when I really sat down and thought about life in general, the mysteries and other phenomena can't be proven by an atheist or a catholic or a muslim or anyone. This is why I opt to say "I will find out when I die"

Ironically, I have never been more interested in religion than I am now. Not the why's and how do you believe (because that is not my place to judge), just how it began, the connection between different religions and other beliefs.
But being an atheist doesn't mean you claim to know the answers. Being an atheist only means that you do not believe in a deity. It's a personal belief. I am an agnostic atheist, meaning that I do not believe in a god, but I do not know whether or not a god exists. My belief is always subject to change.

So, yeah, you won't really find out until you die, but until then you probably have some belief one way or the other.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If I came off as saying all atheists know (or think they know) the answer, that isn't what I meant. I just meant that I used to feel like I knew and I was on another level of intelligence than people with faith in a god or religion, but that was me being ignorant.

A god may exist or may not, but I have never been shown anything that shows the existence of any god that any religion claims to understand, therefore I will never put "my faith" into any god or religion, no matter how compelling their teachings may be.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If I came off as saying all atheists know (or think they know) the answer, that isn't what I meant. I just meant that I used to feel like I knew and I was on another level of intelligence than people with faith in a god or religion, but that was me being ignorant.

A god may exist or may not, but I have never been shown anything that shows the existence of any god that any religion claims to understand, therefore I will never put "my faith" into any god or religion, no matter how compelling their teachings may be.
I just thought that you were saying you don't call yourself an atheist because you won't "know" until you die, basically.

Palpi

Smash Hero
As of right now, I don't really have a belief.

Richard Dawkins said all atheists are agnostic because no one knows for sure.

(something like that)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
As of right now, I don't really have a belief.

Richard Dawkins said all atheists are agnostic because no one knows for sure.

(something like that)
Well, really everyone is agnostic because no one truly knows. Agnostic just means without knowledge. Atheist just means without belief (in a god).

I'm confused. You don't put faith into any god, but you don't know if you believe or not? I would just assume that if you don't put faith into any god, you must not believe in any god.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I guess it isn't so much I dont have a belief, rather I don't care for a belief or don't care to be categorized. You could call me an atheist agnostic, because that is probably what I fit in to.

I just remembered what this original blog was about lol. :X

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I personally didnt even know there were such people as atheists until 7th grade. I thought it was common factual knowledge that a deity existed and that anyone would go to hell and suffer for all eternity if they didnt do x, y, and z, or if they did a, b, and c. I was never given the option to choose to believe in it, because I didnt know I was believing in it. I thought it was fact.
You were in a similar situation that my cousin is currently in. My cousin didn't know that there were a such thing as an atheist until I informed him this summer. He was also surprised at how there was a such thing as a Chinese Christian. Btw, he's turning 11 and he's Buddhist. I am surprised that he has never questioned anything and accepts everything his parents tell him as true. He also still believes in Santa Claus LOL.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Well apparently in this day and age it's considered "cool" to be an athiest. Especially the really douchebaggy kind of atheist that loves to malign religion at every possible instance. Or at least try and send as many theists into a downward spiral of questioning of the self. Which might explain SuSa's current posts.

I laugh inwardly whenever an athiest attempts to stereotype all thiests, especially those in the Christian sect, as blind zealots.

Anyhow, Charmander, this isn't the 15th century. You don't have to go around telling people God spoke to you. Especially not on the internet. If you want to be taken seriously, speak about your experience at your church/whatever. Otherwise the majority of the replies you get will be cynical pokes at your sanity.

also i think it's really dumb that there are so many offshoots of christianity each claiming to be right. which is why i can't take it seriously when i see a post on the internet where some guy is saying god told him presbytarianism was the way to go
I like this post.

Quoting it for emphasis.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Question.

1) An all mighty, all knowing, master of the universe whom created the universe has existed for all time.

2) Two unknowing, non-mighty, two particles of the universe that have existed for all time one day, hit into eachother. Creating the universe.

Which one is right?

Same. ****ing. Argument.

Atheists and theists who attack eachother are stupid. That's what I was getting at. I'm not an atheist and I wasn't downsizing theists. I'm pointing out the simple fact that both sides are utterly hypocritical when they attack each other, or say the other is wrong, or say anyone is wrong.

+1 SuSa
-1 humanity

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think the lesson we can take out of this whole thread is that god is the best troll of all time.

and SuSa is craycray

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
First off I will start off by saying that I do believe in god. Now that that's out of the way, I do wanna touch on something.

@Susa: The egg story was pretty interesting I must say. It is a different perspective and if it were in the bible, I'm sure it'd be just as believable to many. But after reading it I thought, so when one falls in love with someone else they fall in love with their self? And if you reply yes then to go further, to have sex with someone is to enjoy yourself? :awesome: But also then what does that mean when one is attracted to someone and they are disgusted by another?

But back to the original point of the thread. TBH I find that the chance of god directly telling someone to post his teachings and thoughts on smashboards extremely slim. Perhaps if it was a priest or something at church would I be a bit more inclined to believe something like this. I mean I can't really imagine what was god's purpose for that. "Through you charmander, I will turn all of the atheists and non-believers on smashboards into believers!"

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
But back to the original point of the thread. TBH I find that the chance of god directly telling someone to post his teachings and thoughts on smashboards extremely slim. Perhaps if it was a priest or something at church would I be a bit more inclined to believe something like this. I mean I can't really imagine what was god's purpose for that. "Through you charmander, I will turn all of the atheists and non-believers on smashboards into believers!"
so much this.

it's a freaking video game forum people, gtfo.

SuSa

First off I will start off by saying that I do believe in god. Now that that's out of the way, I do wanna touch on something.

@Susa: The egg story was pretty interesting I must say. It is a different perspective and if it were in the bible, I'm sure it'd be just as believable to many. But after reading it I thought, so when one falls in love with someone else they fall in love with their self? And if you reply yes then to go further, to have sex with someone is to enjoy yourself? :awesome: But also then what does that mean when one is attracted to someone and they are disgusted by another?
Moral of the story:
Stop hating yourself.

Learn to accept yourself! Do not find yourself disgusting! And yes, having sex with yourself is to enjoy yourself. You please yourself twice as much.

Moral of that:
Have as much sex as possible

PS:
Sex actually helps you live longer. In both bodies. So you're helping yourself even more by doing this, as it lets you mature longer.

I'm capable of this bull**** all day :awesome:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
While the awesome face is indeed awesome :awesome:, if thats the best thing thats happened in your life then **** that sucks to be you XD. Hope I'm not reincarnated into you anytime soon LOL

@susa: maybe the word disgusting wasn't quite the word I wanted to use. Something more along the lines of visually unpleasing was probably what I wanted to say. So how would you find something like this http://www.free-jokes-online.com/thumb/disgusting.jpg to not be disgusting? rofl

*anyone that asks, thats the first pic that comes up when google search disgusting lol*

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Question.

1) An all mighty, all knowing, master of the universe whom created the universe has existed for all time.

2) Two unknowing, non-mighty, two particles of the universe that have existed for all time one day, hit into eachother. Creating the universe.

Which one is right?

Same. ****ing. Argument.

Atheists and theists who attack eachother are stupid. That's what I was getting at. I'm not an atheist and I wasn't downsizing theists. I'm pointing out the simple fact that both sides are utterly hypocritical when they attack each other, or say the other is wrong, or say anyone is wrong.

+1 SuSa
-1 humanity
I still want to know what you think about mirror-neurons. :c

SuSa

While the awesome face is indeed awesome :awesome:, if thats the best thing thats happened in your life then **** that sucks to be you XD. Hope I'm not reincarnated into you anytime soon LOL

@susa: maybe the word disgusting wasn't quite the word I wanted to use. Something more along the lines of visually unpleasing was probably what I wanted to say. So how would you find something like this http://www.free-jokes-online.com/thumb/disgusting.jpg to not be disgusting? rofl

*anyone that asks, thats the first pic that comes up when google search disgusting lol*

By accepting it for what it is. No matter how hard it is.

Imagine if the world followed that philosophy. Simple acceptance of another - under the philosophy that we are, indeed, the same person.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Just because something is hard to imagine doesn't mean it isn't true, or just because something can harm society, doesn't mean it isn't true.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
@susa: I see your debating skills are quite strong, now lets see if your artwork is just as strong :) (sent you a request on your sig thread since others couldn't quite accept my needs)

Palpi

Smash Hero
He means that saying god did it, is the easy answer, for not only is there no evidence of god, there is little evidence of free will. The most that you can say, is that "you" control your predestined life.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I can't stress enough that, everyone might be wrong or everyone might be right, and as a seemingly insignificant, moderately educated, 1 of 6 billion inhabitants of earth, im not in a time or place to have a belief. Just because science can't prove god exists, doesn't mean he doesnt exists...but just because the bible, quran, torah, tibetan book of the dead, says something is right, doesnt mean it is right.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=3734]God gave me a job[/drupal]

I am a dedicated Christian, and people tend to wonder why I believe so much. People really dont have much reason to believe. However, I believe 100% in God, simply because I can talk to him. And he talks back. Physically. He has helped me through life by giving advice, to telling me what happens next.
Now he is asking ME for a favor. He wants me to tell all of you about this, to spread his word. He revealed to me what the world has come to. Deception. Thievery. Dishonesty. Murder. And its no longer a shock to people, it happens thousands of times a day, if not more. And it sickens me to no end. Society not only has these things, but says they are OK (minus the murder), and its sad.
So I ask all of you to put your foot down and make change, real change. Spread Gods word, because I have/AM proof he exists. Save the world from what it has become, or else soon it will be gone. Thank you.

http://www2.ae911truth.org/team/gra...Web_Videos/911_Blueprint_for_Truth_30_min.wmv

You should start with this, deity worshipper

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
He means that saying god did it, is the easy answer, for not only is there no evidence of god, there is little evidence of free will. The most that you can say, is that "you" control your predestined life.
How can life be predestined if there is no one to know or make the "destiny" happen? Also, if you can control whatever you do and change your life and make it anything you want it doesn't really seem like destiny.

I can't stress enough that, everyone might be wrong or everyone might be right, and as a seemingly insignificant, moderately educated, 1 of 6 billion inhabitants of earth, im not in a time or place to have a belief. Just because science can't prove god exists, doesn't mean he doesnt exists...but just because the bible, quran, torah, tibetan book of the dead, says something is right, doesnt mean it is right.
I agree with you on this. I could be right, or i could be wrong You could be right, or you could be wrong. I admit i don't know if the bible is completely right. Jesus could have been our Savior, and on the other hand, he could have been a crackpot who was insane, or he could've been just a liar. Btw i think i worded that earlier post wrong. What i mean is i could be wrong, like you said. However, by what I've seen and experienced so far in my life, I believe in the Christian God. By what you've seen and experienced in your life so far, you don't believe in the Christian God.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
How can life be predestined if there is no one to know or make the "destiny" happen? Also, if you can control whatever you do and change your life and make it anything you want it doesn't really seem like destiny.

I agree with you on this. I could be right, or i could be wrong You could be right, or you could be wrong. I admit i don't know if the bible is completely right. Jesus could have been our Savior, and on the other hand, he could have been a crackpot who was insane, or he could've been just a liar. Btw i think i worded that earlier post wrong. What i mean is i could be wrong, like you said. However, by what I've seen and experienced so far in my life, I believe in the Christian God. By what you've seen and experienced in your life so far, you don't believe in the Christian God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_myth_theory

Palpi

Smash Hero
All of your actions and beleifs are based off your memory (past experiences) and your genes. If there is a soul, it has no effect on how you act. Buddhists say the "super ego" takes over in each life around when a child begins to develop a memory.

I do control and have control over all of my actions, but everything I do was influenced by something in the past.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
That could be very true. However it couldn't. just because it is a popular idea doesn't make it true.

Btw please don't think i don't have any idea what i believe in or that i don't have any reason to believe in Jesus other than "Faith" because i say that we don't know what really is true. I have reason to. However, there are some aspects of Christianity, even Intelligent Design for that matter, that require plain faith, just like Atheism, or people who don't believe in a God. Those require faith as well.
Btw where is evidence for this theory? If it's there i don't see it.

All of your actions and beleifs are based off your memory (past experiences) and your genes. If there is a soul, it has no effect on how you act. Buddhists say the "super ego" takes over in each life around when a child begins to develop a memory.

I do control and have control over all of my actions, but everything I do was influenced by something in the past.
Alright, how am i disagreeing with this?

Palpi

Smash Hero
It said something along the lines of, this is the evidence and it actually exists, but the reliability of the evidence is at fault. This theory has a long way to go before it can prove jesus never existed.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

Science doesn't need to disprove god or the bible.
Even so, there are many discoveries that go against what the bible says (dinosaurs, anything over 8,000 years old, lifeforms on other planets, evolution, the fact that the sun does not revolve around the Earth and the Earth is not flat, and a bunch of other things I'm not remembering).

Basically: I'm a Jedi. Prove me wrong.

Palpi

Smash Hero
The assumption was 4004 years old from the the earliest scriptures and different accounts, the age of the earth is not mentioned directly in the bible, atleast of my knowledge.

Even if it was then it was just a guess from a human.

:awesome:

Dan, you're a Jedi too?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Burden of proof is on you padawan. I will use my Jedi mind tricks to deceive you and expose the fraud of a Jedi that you are!

I'm a wizard too

Looking back, I find "there is some evidence that there is no evidence of jesus's existence" funny for whatever reason

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
**** you Ballistics and Melo, you guys just made me read for like a half hour. >:[ Now I'm hungry.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
@Palpi and Ballistics i mean i believe my theory is firm and inerrant. However, there's always the possibility of me being wrong. That's all i'm saying. Just like you have a firm belief in what you believe in. It could be right or wrong. We don't know ABSOLUTELY 100%. But if you want me to not be confusing and bare with my belief, fine. I'm A Christian, I believe what the Bible says. That's right, i'm using the Bible as a scientific fact. Why is that bad? Disprove it for me. and I believe that if you don't believe Jesus saved us, you will go to Hell for eternity. Seriously though, disprove my belief. How do you know the Bible is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom