• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God gave me a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpi

Smash Hero
All I we can do is speculate...I will see you...and science in 50 years =]

(---^ short for I have to write an essay that I have no idea what it is on, due in 8 hours, so yeah...bye!!!!!)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
(sigh) There is proof that there is room for god as the creator, for no one knows how everything really begun, but that doesn't mean it is the god you believe in, or christians, jews, or anyone believes, it could be a god that no religion has imagined, and that doesn't mean it has to be a god. Just because there is an area of unknown, it doesn't automatically mean god.
For real:
http://www.youtube.com/user/QualiaSoup#p/u/3/5wV_REEdvxo
Waaatch itttt.

Sums up my mindset on the matter.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have seen all of his videos or almost all of them, including that one. :awesome:

That one was actually, the first one I watched. I really need to write my essay...curse you!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Haha, yep Palpi, maybe we'll have something definitive soon, but probably not, lol.

@BengalsRZ
Over an long enough period of time, the low probability almost doesn't matter. Also, I think you're looking at the probability the wrong way. This video makes it more clear than I possibly could right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OTsYfTt-c

But I have a question. I understand why you would believe in some kind creation, but why one specific creator? Why is it more likely to you that the creation was done by a single god (the Muslim god in particular) as opposed to many gods? Why is it more likely to you that such a god still exists, still cares about us, desires what he desires, etc?
That video doesn't really apply to big bang, there was only one shot to get things right, unlike other circumstances he talked about where there was massive sample sizes (thus coincidences become easy to pluck out). For big bang to work without any intelligent direction, it would indeed take crazy, crazy, coincidences with no large samples, just ONE SHOT for each variable.

For your next question:
Well for one, Muslims believe in the same God that Jews, Christians, and several other smaller monotheistic religions do. We, contrary to popular belief, DO actually believe in the scriptures of Jews and Christians. That said, the new and old testaments have been changed several times and aren't really accurate reflections of their formal selves. For that reason, the Quran is not translated to any other language and Muslims are encouraged to learn Arabic so that they can read the text in its one true form. Translating it to another language would end up, even if only slightly, changing the meaning of what we believe are divine words.

So basically, assuming anyone was to believe a monotheistic religion, Islam imo should make the most sense. Being that it is the same message as the others, just updated if you will and completely unchanged from what was originally revealed. Every two Qurans are exactly alike in terms of content, the same cannot be said for the Bible.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
The Quran is one of the modern (modern in the sense that it is widely accepted and followed) scriptures I haven't studied in any form of detail. So (not that this is a smart decision) I'll take what you have stated about the Quran (not it's contents, but that it is not translated) as fact.

However, even if the Quran remained unaltered, that still does not justify it's contents. It was written by a human being. It is stated he wrote it based upon the revelations onto him from God.

I'm sorry if that sounds like a guy listened to the voice inside his head and wrote a book... it's not justifiable anymore than any other religious scripture. If anything, it coming from a single source only lowers its possible credibility. There is none other than himself to justify that his revelations came from God.

There is no logical supporting evidence, thus I deny it based on the grounds of logic.

EDIT:
It is unknown if anything exists outside of our universe. Even assuming it was 2 particles colliding we have no evidence of how long before our universe was created that these 2 particles existed. In fact - we don't even have the right to assume it was only these two particles. It could be any amount of particles.

If you think about the concept of infinite time and infinite space with any amount of particles. The likelihood of two colliding is almost certain to happen at some point in time. We cannot justify that our universe is the only universe.

Planet --> Solar System --> Galaxy --> Universe --> The Unknown

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Haha, yep Palpi, maybe we'll have something definitive soon, but probably not, lol.

That video doesn't really apply to big bang, there was only one shot to get things right, unlike other circumstances he talked about where there was massive sample sizes (thus coincidences become easy to pluck out). For big bang to work without any intelligent direction, it would indeed take crazy, crazy, coincidences with no large samples, just ONE SHOT for each variable.

For your next question:
Well for one, Muslims believe in the same God that Jews, Christians, and several other smaller monotheistic religions do. We, contrary to popular belief, DO actually believe in the scriptures of Jews and Christians. That said, the new and old testaments have been changed several times and aren't really accurate reflections of their formal selves. For that reason, the Quran is not translated to any other language and Muslims are encouraged to learn Arabic so that they can read the text in its one true form. Translating it to another language would end up, even if only slightly, changing the meaning of what we believe are divine words.

So basically, assuming anyone was to believe a monotheistic religion, Islam imo should make the most sense. Being that it is the same message as the others, just updated if you will and completely unchanged from what was originally revealed. Every two Qurans are exactly alike in terms of content, the same cannot be said for the Bible.
Again, no matter how small of a chance something has of happening, given enough time it will happen. Guaranteed. And I'm pretty sure there was a lot of time before the big bang happened.

I still don't understand why you believe the content within the Quran. You explained why you follow the Quran over the bible, but not why you follow the Quran.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If time was infinite, and the universe was always here...now would never have came.

If you think that the big bang occurred and something came from nothing, some believe that indeed something can come from nothing, which many scientists do not believe. I heard one brilliant scientists, who's name escapes me, say "Saying the universe started in singularity, is just a fancy way of saying we don't know." I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, but even science is skeptical of the "Something from nothing"

But if there was the big bang, many people think that there had to be a cause, for every effect has a cause and every cause has an effect, and that effect is god. There is no evidence, but I am just getting some ideas across.

I think futurama has the best way of describing it. The big crunch, after the universe gets to be super duper duper large, the universe begins to retract into a point infinitly dense and small, then big bangs again. Futurama influences my beliefs!!! :awesome:

SuSa

I think I made a point earlier that the logical answer does not have to be a God, that's just one belief.

Let me reshow my example.

Planet --> Solar System --> Galaxy --> Universe --> The Unknown

When I speak, I speak of the unknown.

People believe that "something can't come from nothing". Well now I ask you.

Where did this god come from? Did he/she/it exist forever? A being who is omnipotent and all knowing? A being so advanced and complex that can create an entire universe? A being that has simply existed for eternity?

Now replace "god" with a few particles and change the grammar to make a bit of sense... and you get

Where did these particles come from? Did they exist forever? Two particles that are unknowingly powerful? Two particles incapable of thought? Two particles that have simply existed for eternity?

Both are just as likely - and just as improbable - as the other. This is why I don't attack others for their beliefs (although I do poke at the reasons why...) but in the end. Whatever helps you sleep at night and avoid killing others is OK in my book.

What bother's me are the reasons people choose to believe in what they believe, or when they are IGNORANT of their own religion.

How many Christians do you think have read Deuteronomy or Exodus? How many do you think would have faith in God if they knew Jesus told a group of Jews to kill their children for disobedience?

How many women do you think would agree to having to marry their rapist if the rapist just payed their father? Assuming the girl was a virgin, this is law.

"Oh but SuSa, those are from the OT and we don't follow that anymore"

Sorry. Yes. You do. If not you're already going to hell. Tough luck, God's a pretty strict guy. Here's a quote from Jesus in the NT regarding the OT.
For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Yep yep. I'll shut up now before it looks like I'm attacking anyone or anything.

EDIT:
Disclaimer ---
If I ever refer to a god or God as "he" I'm sorry. Don't mean to be sexist or anything but God is usually referred to as "he" and in reality we cannot claim a god to be a he, she, or it. So every time you see me refer to a god as he - just imagine the he/she/it was in it's place.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
@SuSa:
I do agree with you, but I'm just gonna play devil's advocate for a second here. Most Christians believe that when Jesus died for our sins, much of what was said in the old testament was invalidated. What Jesus taught overrides much of the old testament. I'm sure a Christian can explain it better, but my point is that there is an argument against what you're saying.

Though (again), I do agree with you.

SuSa

Err... doesn't matter if they believe it got invalidated.

Dude said until the ends of time man... the ends of time. I'm pretty sure that means after he dies too. :v

I can also point out so many contradictions in the bible... =\

If I'm taking any of these out of context, let me know. These are some of the ones I know the best (and I have a notepad file containing more and they also exist on evilbible but a large amount of information on evilbible is taken OUT OF CONTEXT.

So be very wary of what you read there. Some sentences (or phrases) are taken extremely out of context so that they can be twisted. However much of it is in context as well, so I advise you find a copy of the bible and read the passages before deciding to believe EB or not. It just makes finding said passages and being able to compare them easier when the passage is written down for you. :x

Here's some MAJOR contradictions....
God is satisfied with his works
Gen 1:31
God is dissatisfied with his works.
Gen 6:6
God is seen and heard
Ex 33:23/ Ex 33:11/ Gen 3:9,10/ Gen 32:30/ Is 6:1/
Ex 24:9-11
God is invisible and cannot be heard
John 1:18/ John 5:37/ Ex 33:20/ 1 Tim 6:16
God is all powerful
Jer 32:27/ Matt 19:26
God is not all powerful
Judg 1:19
God is unchangeable
James 1:17/ Mal 3:6/ Ezek 24:14/ Num 23:19
God is changeable
Gen 6:6/ Jonah 3:10/ 1 Sam 2:30,31/ 2 Kings 20:1,4,5,6/
Ex 33:1,3,17,14
God is cruel, unmerciful, destructive, and ferocious
Jer 13:14/ Deut 7:16/ 1 Sam 15:2,3/ 1 Sam 6:19
God is kind, merciful, and good
James 5:11/ Lam 3:33/ 1 Chron 16:34/ Ezek 18:32/ Ps 145:9/
1 Tim 2:4/ 1 John 4:16/ Ps 25:8

SuSa

Yeah. I understand. :v

I can pull up more passages of Jesus saying OT is to abide even after his death though.... so regardless what they were taught I feel they should have a good enough understanding of the Bible to make a decision based on their own intuition.

Oddly enough, I feel many would choose to ignore OT because God was a ruthless killing machine. Which is where I feel the problem resides...

OT and NT are practically two different god's entirely.... a perfect being would have NO REASON to change or alter. The being is perfect, without flaw. No need for changes. So why the change? How can you change what is perfect?

Palpi

Smash Hero
The absurdity of something existing forever, whether it be this universe or god is ridiculous to comprehend, but if time was created in this universe, could something (not saying god...just something)outside of this universe (not being in another universe...i dont know where :awesome:) exist forever since its existance wasn't relative to time?

I watched an hour and 30 minute movie about the construction of the bible, and though I didn't understand everything because at points I was put into a trance, I think saying that, "This is in the bible, therefore it invalidates it" is far from right. It could have been its original intention, but that was far from how it turned out....that or god is a ruthless killing machine and likes to **** with our minds with outlandish contradictions...don't know haha. :awesome:

If humans eventually get the ability to create a virtual dimension or universe inside of a computer (The sims in 1000 years), and the people in that virtual world have perfect (artificial) intelligence, like ours, and we made this world to operate exactly like ours...bigbang is the beginning etc...would that make us god? IF yes, then are we perfect?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The absurdity of something existing forever, whether it be this universe or god is ridiculous to comprehend, but if time was created in this universe, could something (not saying god...just something)outside of this universe (not being in another universe...i dont know where :awesome:) exist forever its existance wasn't relative to time?
It is unknowable.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Not only is knowing the existance of something outside this universe unreal, but the existance of something without time is ridiculous.

In M-theory, people believe that the universe lies on these Branes, or membranes, and these thing are infinitly long, but infinitly thin, and I am not sure if this is right, they are just gravity, but when they collide with other membranes, it creates big bangs, yes plural big bangs. This is just for me watching an hour or 2 worth of m-theory videos a few months ago....one might ask how did those membranes get there, but if time is not applicable there, they could have and will always be there.

This isn't suppose to mean anything btw..---^

Forgot to tell you, dan. Your new sig is pretty sick...I am going to make one with gandalf in it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
In quantum physics, they believe the base of everything is conciousness, a non-local conciousness. That is pretty cool though Susa lol.

SuSa

So many religions out there. Rather glad I got around a bit when it came to researching them, learning about them, and studying some of their scripture a few years back.

I've been Christian (of varying beliefs), Wiccan, Satanic at one point. I've practically lived and went to church with my Catholic friend and his family. Part of my father's side is Jewish and I see them rather often enough to speak over things.

Orthodox Jews and Muslim are probably the two I know little, or nothing about.

In the end. I decided to be Atheistic. Although I guess I'm more Agnostic than Atheist depending on how you define each. I do not outright deny the possible existence of a god or entity - but I do not believe in such a god or entity; as well as believing that it is more likely for 2 particles to have simply existed instead of a complex, developed being.

Which makes me wonder... if God made us in his image, what makes up his image? Does he have a molecular structure? Is he just refractions of light? What makes up him? Why is it more likely that everything that makes up him has existed forever instead two particles?

I question my universe, and it gives me no answers.

That being said I've been known to quote the Bible from time to time. I do see it as a great source of wisdom for how to walk through life. I think it's a masterful work of art. But I don't think a speck of it is true.

Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.
I don't take this as literally as many do. That God will guide them through evil times and protect them from said evil. That's usually the tl;dr of the widely accepted meaning. But I take it in a different manner.

"Though I walk through these dark times, I do not walk alone."

That is the meaning I take from it. Because I refuse to, with how many people are similar in this world, believe that any one person truly walks alone to seek a better future. While the person may be on the other side of the world and they have never met. They walk together towards a future without evil.

I forgot what I was trying to say/what point I was trying to make.
Time to go make lunch.

:093:

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski

Which makes me wonder... if God made us in his image, what makes up his image? Does he have a molecular structure? Is he just refractions of light? What makes up him? Why is it more likely that everything that makes up him has existed forever instead two particles?
I think when it says "So God created human beings in His image"(Genesis 1:27) he's referring to His spiritual image (as in, to know what is right and what is wrong). That's what I've heard in my church/books (Just giving out answer to your question; I'm not here to debate).

:038:

SuSa

Thanks for the answer at least. Although not the first time I've heard it, I then question if a spirit is comprised of anything. Seeing as it is not material to test this.....yeah you see the problem I hope.

:093:

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
SuSa stop being a prick.

I would love to share my veiws with everybody, but the fact is none of you would care/listen. No one likes being told their wrong. Either it's proving God exists or he doesn't.

SuSa

SuSa stop being a prick.

I would love to share my veiws with everybody, but the fact is none of you would care/listen. No one likes being told their wrong. Either it's proving God exists or he doesn't.
I disagree with this statement. We cannot prove things outside of our own existence.

You saw the box example? Right?

If I gave you a box and asked you to tell me what is inside of it. You would not be able to give a definite answer. However - you could name off millions and millions of things that may not be in the box.

Likewise for what exists outside of our own universe.

You cannot give me a definite answer. However - you could name off millions and millions of things that may not be outside of our own universe.

I'm not being a prick. I'm showing out errors in reasoning. Bengalz felt that the Quran should be followed over other monotheistic scripture because it has remained unaltered? However what does this do to prove that what it contains is even true? It proves absolutely nothing.

Let me give you an example of what may happen by a jury.

There is supporting evidence that the defendant murdered his family, but it is not conclusive evidence. He claims he did not - but he has no proof that he didn't. The jury finds him guilty, because they do not believe the word of this single man.

Another man was convicted of murdering his family. There is supporting evidence but once again it is not conclusive evidence. He also has alibis and witnesses claiming he could not have murdered his family. He has many accounts, ranging from around 10. All of their stories match up. The jury finds this man not guilty based on the accounts told.

A third man was convicted of murdering his family. There is supporting evidence but again it is not conclusive. He claims he has witnesses, but they all tell a different story. Once says they were talking to him at a coffee shop at 11am but another says they were speaking to him downtown from that same coffee shop at 11am as well. Not only this, but his articles of clothing and how he was acting differ. Upon further investigation there are more and more alibis that do not matchup. The jury finds this man guilty based on the accounts told.

I'm not being an ***. On the first account only one man defended his arguments. It's not very swaying. On the third, he had many accounts told but they all differed. Again - very suspect.

Palpi

Smash Hero
He just assumed that atheists don't want god to exist (apart from in actuality, atheists dont think he exists) but atleast for me that is far from the truth. I personally think if god existed, that'd be pretty great. :awesome:

Theftz22

Smash Lord
If you think that the big bang occurred and something came from nothing, some believe that indeed something can come from nothing, which many scientists do not believe. I heard one brilliant scientists, who's name escapes me, say "Saying the universe started in singularity, is just a fancy way of saying we don't know." I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, but even science is skeptical of the "Something from nothing"

But if there was the big bang, many people think that there had to be a cause, for every effect has a cause and every cause has an effect, and that effect is god. There is no evidence, but I am just getting some ideas across.
There is no cause and effect in the absence of time. The big bang created all known dimensions including time, thus to apply cause and effect, proven to be true in the current universe as we know it, to anything before the occurrence of the big bang is impossible. In other words, something can be created from nothing before the creation of time.

Now to look at applying this to the god concept, I only need to look at Occam's razor, the idea that "the simplest explanation is more likely the correct one." "The principle of Occam's Razor recommends selecting the competing hypothesis that makes the fewest new assumptions".

Basically, the matter that caused the big bang is more likely to have been formed from nothing than a complex being which then creates that matter. It's simply adding an extra, unnecessary step which leads to more questions about the nature of that being, how it has supernatural powers, how it works, etc.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
He just assumed that atheists don't want god to exist (apart from in actuality, atheists dont think he exists) but atleast for me that is far from the truth. I personally think if god existed, that'd be pretty great. :awesome:
I'm not generallizing atheists together, I generallising human beings together. I'm pretty sure whatever I try to say will just be laughed at/ignored and it's not like anything I say will change your minds anyways. That's not because your Atheist, Jewish, Christian or Islamic. It's because you're a human being that doesn't agree with me.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm not generallizing atheists together, I generallising human beings together. I'm pretty sure whatever I try to say will just be laughed at/ignored and it's not like anything I say will change your minds anyways. That's not because your Atheist, Jewish, Christian or Islamic. It's because you're a human being that doesn't agree with me.
So? None of this means we aren't interested in what you believe in. No one is going to laugh at your for your beliefs. We may ask for you to justify/rationalize what you believe in so we can understand why you have those beliefs.

We all know that none of us are going to "convert" each other. That's not the point of the discussion.

And keep in mind that as an agnostic atheist, I acknowledge that I do not know the truth. In fact, I don't believe that there are no gods either. Given the nature of the question, I can't have a belief one way or the other, rather I have a lack of belief. However, I do not believe in any one specific deity, as I do not believe that it is possible to learn the nature of such a being. Either way, I do not claim to know the answers.

Bottom line: quit being paranoid, we're interested in what you have to say.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Spreading Gods word =/= Forcing it on them
It's a shame 'God's words' are the same words EVERYBODY shares, including every religion. After all, we're all in it together.
Call it 'Spreading Love' or anything else and it means the same thing, but actually makes 'logical' sense too. lol :p

I want people to realize that what they are doing is wrong, and that its possible to fix with enough willpower. The world sucks right now, its not Gods fault, its ours. We basically f*cked the world for ourselves, now we gotta fix it so we can not end up all going to hell.
I'll fix this for you ;D

I want people to realize that just because we ****ed up, doesn't mean we should quit and keep ****ing up. Its possible to fix with enough willpower, compassion and intelligence. The world is amazing right now and always will be, but we could do soooooo much better, as there is immense room to grow.

That's how you start. Not with the bad, with the good.
Get@goodness, don't get@badness.
Good? ;D

Second...well...its a start. I mean compared to all the atheists and other non-believers, at least you have faith :)

Never say this again. lol
I literrally have more 'faith' than anyone that has EVER walked the face of this earth with what you said in mind. The idea that 'non-believers' don't believe in something/don't have faith/are atheists (lol learn your termonology as that's more comparable to those with religion than those without) is completely linear and naive. It's common among people who call themselves 'believers' and THAT is one of the major reasons it's never been to solution to ANYTHING, EVER. But it's often the 'problem', if you call things problems at all.
Sorry, it's just something that is absolutely 100% counter beneficial in the mindsets of religious fanatics. I'd rather correct than let things like this pass, even if people take it offensively. :/

And I think said faith/religion should be spoken publicly. Yes it causes troubles once in a while, but come on, set the truth free, its the best way IMO

I love the IMO lol
Good on ya ;D

You'll never hear people 'without' religion, bring up conversations about religion, or religion in public enforcing how good non-religion is. As the way it goes, "the proof is for you to prove" hence those 'with' religion will always try and bring it up to assure themselves through this that it's ok. Subconcious affirmation. Among other things, this is endless discussion really, don't look into what I'm saying as it'll be too much to ever write lol

Freedom is more important than anything, so religion should always be free to discuss publicly. The ONLY way it's EVER 'troublesome' is when people think anothers 'faith' isn't 'correct', and the ONLY people who do this are those who believe they have the correct one.
You could guess who those are...
It's called 'a Faith' for a reason...

My job, as I said previously, is to rid the world of manmade evils like greed, theivery, deception, secrecy, discrimination, etc.

You say this, then turn around and say...
Now, problem is...I have NO IDEA how the hell I am to accomplish this.....But from what Ive learned its good to have followers. Convincing the world to follow Christ must start out as convincing a small population Im guessing.

This...
Not a good start, and unfortunately that's the most common way anybody with your apparent perception starts. Hopefully you know better now.
There's a reason the world is '****ed up' in your eyes, but doing the things that you're trying to get rid of is not the solution. Manipulation through attempted convincing of something that has only be counter productive in every single situation since its existance is not the first step.
Spreading a WHY will get you more answers than spreading a HOW.
Think in the sense that infinite heads > one. One answer is not all we have, there are infinite.

Start with getting everyone looking for a solution to 'our' problem, then you'll find the answer we're ALL looking for.
As you know, we haven't found it yet.
That's why you still say the world is ****ed up.
Methods =/= Ideals. Donnot compare them.
'My Word' may help, it may not.
Either way, my word isn't anything unless you follow through.
Following through doesn't mean spreading the word.
It means doing it, the love, peace, compassion, and everything the word means.
We made words for a reason.
:)

LOL at Unobliteratable
best word that isn't yet a word

*I didn't read any of the thread after the first few posts lol
*I won't be posting here again, as this will possibly never end, as you all know lol

Suspect

Smash Hero
Walmart gave me a job.

lil quote I found

"‎"The single greatest cause of Atheism in the world today is Christians... who acknowledge their god with their lips, and then turn around, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyles.... *that* is what an unbelieving world simply finds.... Unbelievable."

I personally replace the word "christians" with "religion" cause it seems like it is singling out them.

I am religious btw

praise be to ps3

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I said "anyone who listens to an "external" voice in their head is schizophrenic and should be treated as such". I never characterized all religious people as crazy, just the ones who think god talks to them and they should listen. If you believe this, there is a direct line of logic straight into such acts as terrorism, genocide, dangerous cults, etc.

Charmander Logic: God talks to me; I know this because he is god and I have heard him talk personally to me, he has given me advice and purpose, etc; god is all knowing and good therefore I should listen to what he says; god tells me to save the world from evil; I must spread god's message and save the world.

Terrorist Logic: God talks to me; I know this because he is god and I have heard him talk personally to me, he has given me advice and purpose, etc; god is all knowing and good therefore I should listen to what he says; god tells me that the non-believers (of my specific faith mind you) are the root of all evil; I must kill the non-believers.

problem?

*AHEM*

Strange urge to kill others even though you are a caring person by nature?

Sounds like me
Case closed

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Excuse me I have a question.

So a lot of atheists these days are just atheists to be cool and to go against their religion right?

Wouldn't that be heresy instead of atheism? I'm curious now and I might be wrong on this one

_Keno_

Smash Lord

So a lot of atheists these days are just atheists to be cool and to go against their religion right?
Yeah, being an atheist is just so cool that it is hard to resist, I mean, everyone loves their local atheist. No other reasons.

Oh wait, atheists are the most hated minority in the American by a huge margin. Much moreso than homosexuals, muslims, and even the Tea Party.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

Wouldn't that be heresy instead of atheism? I'm curious now and I might be wrong on this one
I've never met such an atheist, and I honestly doubt you have either.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Well I already touched on why I believed that the world is intelligently designed, so I'm going to focus this post on why I actually believe in Islam.

I'll start by saying that the Quran was way ahead of it's time, both scientifically and philosophically.

Islam preaches equality, and even the first Muslims freed many slaves, allowing them to become equals within their communities. Here is a quote from former Prime Minister of the UK that is pretty enlightening:

"I speak with great diffidence and humility as a member of another faith. I am not qualified to make any judgments. But as an outsider, the Koran strikes me as a reforming book, trying to return Judaism and Christianity to their origins, rather as reformers attempted with the Christian Church centuries later. It is inclusive. It extols science and knowledge and abhors superstition. It is practical and way ahead of its time in attitudes to marriage, women and governance."

Scientifically, the Quran accurately describes the process of an embryo's development, the role of a mountain to stabilize the crust of the earth and weaken quakes, touches on the roles of certain parts of the brain, the barrier between two meeting sees where water does not mix, the fact that the sun will eventually burn out, as well as many many other scientific references that have only recently been discovered in modern science.

These are things that humans at the time simply could NOT have known, let alone an illiterate man who had never been schooled.

Then there are religions that focus on caste systems and discourage social equality. I haven't looked into those too much, but I disagree with some of their major philosophies and that brings me back to something that draws me to Islam. It is so practical, it makes sense, most of it IS common sense, and it aligns with what I find to be good strong morals.

Given all the information that I have access to, Islam just simply makes the most sense to me.

I agree with you about the fact that the whole "where did it all start" argument flip flops no matter WHAT you believe in. Whether it be particles or God, it had to start somewhere. The thing is, an omnipotent being that created the universe would not be bound by time or space like we are. I cannot explain how the world started, and it is something that if indeed done by God, is not within my realm of understanding.

But I CAN eliminate the fact that 2 particles didn't just appear out of nowhere, and that they had to start somewhere. Because it defies the science that this theory strictly abides by.

*EDIT: I just want to say that it is awesome we have actually had an intellectual talk about religion here. Never seen one not go to hell after a few pages before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom