• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's already a "Dash Cancel" in Melee which was carried on the same way to Brawl, isn't there? Simply the act of crouching to cancel a full run.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah. Just call the Ink drop the Turn cancel or the Fall cancel.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I like what i hear. This nice. Its gonna be sooo much fun. And it looks like they really tried to make it even. Hahahhaha Fox.Im kinda saddend bout yoshi's color. I was reall happy to hear about yoshi's fire still hurts even during sheild.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I'm saying is, the "Dash Cancel" that has been coined in Melee already exists in Brawl in the exact same form. Calling this Inkdrop a "Dash Cancel" would only confuse.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
You know what would be a welcome change? If they make it so that pressing B on the character select screen when you don't have a character selected doesn't send you back to the main menu and reset your KO counter. Because whenever I'm playing with a bunch of people, some idiot never fails to do that.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Dash Pivot or Dash Turn Cancel or Fall Cancel sound like good term candidates (sorry Ink, its cool to be famous and all but seriously, Ink Dropping makes me think every character is a squid and poops out Ink on the ground when you do this move. eewwwww)

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
:[ I nominate it to be the Ink Dash.
Instead of the Wave Dash.
Aha? :[ Humor fails online.
Though, Ink Dash sounds brilliant, IMO.

I'd say Pivot Dash sounds more..."professional", though.

BUM163

Smash Lord
sumone said ike gets super armor like on almost every attack. is this true? also does bowser n dk get super armor? i'll probably b headin there saturday if possible n if the ticket is still cheap from wat my friend said

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Ink dropping in and of itself isn't very useful, just to clear up any confusion, its canceling the ink drop thats the real useful part of it, so its like an ink drop cancel

dont call it dash canceling, people could think thats just when you dash and cancel your dash with duck or something like that

just keep it called ink dropping and calm down everyone

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, please lets not keep using Ink. I'd prefer a term that's closer to other used naming conventions for advanced tactics, and without having to give someone the history of why its called "Ink" something whenever a new player sees the term. Dash Pivot Cancel sounds more along the lines of the terms we'd normally use for this.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Heh, chalk up another technique who's name doesn't make much sense. How can you really name a technique after a person that has unique, purposeful animations? Basically what you're doing is tripping, right? So why shouldn't it be called a Trip Cancel or the like? Though if it were up to me Wavedashing would have been called "Scooting" or something like that. If anything, I guess Ink Drop Cancel would work, because Ink found it, you're dropping, and you're canceling it. Eh, whatever.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Ugh, please lets not keep using Ink. I'd prefer a term that's closer to other used naming conventions for advanced tactics, and without having to give someone the history of why its called "Ink" something whenever a new player sees the term. Dash Pivot Cancel sounds more along the lines of the terms we'd normally use for this.
Yes, but there's also stuff like DA Dash and Eddie Spike and such. I think the first adv tech discovered in Brawl deserves something special, and the person that discovered it deserves it, too. Otherwise, it should be just "Dash Pivot," since you're not canceling the pivot, you're canceling the fall to use it as a pivot.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like what I'm hearing about the c-stick. I consider this a major nerf.

When I use the c-stick, I want a SMASH, not a tilt. If I wanted a tilt I could just press A, since I'm already holding the direction for the tilt anyway (that's how you do a tilt, hold the direction of the tilt than c-stick in the same direction), so I consider this a step back. It means you can't easily CC into a DSmash, for example. And, if I'm moving forward by holding forward and tap my C-stick forward, I want to do a FSmash, not a tilt. If I wanted to do a tilt, I'd just press 'A' since I'm already holding forward anyway. I don't see how the c-stick is at all useful in this case when all it does is what pressing A would already do.

This says to me they didn't test the new C-stick code very well or purposefully gimped it. It makes me wonder if they just cheese-balled it to literally send the same commands as a direction+A - that would explain the tilts and charged smashes and not throwing items. And it would therefore make me wonder if a c-stick down while in the air would result in a FastFall, which is one of the things I used c-stick airials for in the first place - doing DAirs when I don't want to accidentally fast fall them. I also suspect it would cause movement, so now jumping forward and C-sticking a BAir would probably affect your trajectory just like pressing Back+A would do.

In fact, I consider this a major nerf, because now the ONLY thing the c-stick is useful for is doing a Smash attack for n00bs that have problems pressing direction+A at the same time. From what I can tell from the understanding of how the controls work and what people are describing, the c-stick can no longer be used for any of the various c-stick "tricks" we had in Melee, because it doesn't just directly send a command to do a Smash attack, it tells the game that you pressed (and possibly held) a direction and A at the same time, just like how Z just sends a lightly-pressed R+A at the same time and hence why you can block with it even though its supposed to be a grab button.

Its a cheap cop-out from the programmers and I don't know why they'd do that when it already worked great in Melee, other than as a way to remove options by making it so you can't attack in one direction while moving in another, or DAir without FastFalling after the peak of your jump, or throw non-throwing-items easily without having to use Z or R+A, or any of the other neat things the C-stick could do that direction+A could not do.

Samochan

Smash Master
I still don't really get the concept of Ink canceling... the explanation makes me go all confused. x_x

But ya, confirm stitchfaces and float canceling and how dsmash affects shields next to someone and how cc'ing and all that affects dsmash and how many hits ad how quick it is, so it might not be completely useless albeit bad for KO'ing. Also I wanna know is peach's slap as quick as it was on ssbm and how is her ftilt tweaked. And I still haven't seen her dtilt or utilt. ;_;

And to me it seems the game designers are dissing us competitive players by making a tech very useful and easy to do to casual players and pro players alike a lot less effective (like the cc press down automatic dtilt thing), which won't affect casual players any bit but will have a major affect on the competitive metagame if all you could from crouch cancel was a dtilt when something else would have been ten times more useful (imagine peach always dtilting you when she could dsmash). Otherwise why in the world make JC shine a lot harder to perform, since no casual player ever even uses it. I can undertsand makign it laggier and all, but harder to perform... >_>;

TGM

Smash Lord
doesnt matter what its called. its how useful it is. how exactly does it work?
do you dash,press down,turn around and grab?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
its should be called ink droping its sounds cool and its giving him credit for finding it out
Yeah, well I was the first one that noticed the fall move in the first place, even making the .gif of it that Gimpy referred to, and said then that I thought it was potentially a new advanced technique and asked if people could find out if it was useful for anything. Does that mean we should we call it the Ink-Cancelled Zauron-Drop?

Of course not.

I think its cool and all to give Ink credit, but if this is one of the mainstay tactics of Brawl and not just a single nifty combo or use of a particular character-specific move, it ought to have a generic name that says what it is.

Generic moves usable by all characters, especially one that has a specific animation and probably already has an official name given to it by Nintendo, have never been named after players. It should have something that sounds like other terms such as Double-Jump Cancel, Jump-Cancel Grab, Teching, Ledge Teching, and so on and so forth.

Kryptonite X

Smash Cadet
mindgames don't matter if someones moves are slow enough that you can react to avoid them

any character can be played to mindgames or tech or winning or anything that's not what's important

people who like mindgame characters are those who didn't work their *** off for years to get good tech skill, so having the game slower is a big blow to us

and having no wavedashing hurts me the 2nd most of all the top pros, right behind Chu.

Get over it. Melee may have had techniques that catered to many AT's, but the smash series in general is catered towards casuals.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you dont dash then press down, you dash further than you can dash dance from, then just try to turn around, your character will just fall on their face, but from the looks of it, that falling animation can be canceled and you can do some sort of turn around move out of it

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
So could I use a ink drop cancel and continue my run in the same direction? I'd love to use it as a stall to my run.

bbb

Smash Champion
Inks knows he couldn't have come up with such a great technique without the spiritual aid of Cyborg Jesus! So in all fairness it should be called the Super Amazing Cyborg Jesus Trip Fall Combo Cancel, or SACJTFCC for short

IC3R

Smash Lord
WTF?! You can trip in Brawl?!

That's HILARIOUS :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Personally, I like the term Ink-Dropping. Just puttin' out a preference... :grin:

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Naming techniques after players is pretentious and silly. Furthermore, a more straight forward title does less to obscure the understanding of what the technique is supposed to accomplish -- it's just more efficient.

-SynikaL

Samochan

Smash Master
you dont dash then press down, you dash further than you can dash dance from, then just try to turn around, your character will just fall on their face, but from the looks of it, that falling animation can be canceled and you can do some sort of turn around move out of it
Oooh, now I get it. I can imagine now doing some easy dash dance and then running trough my opponents, then doing a dtilt on them when they drop shield. ^_^ Pivot was locked to dash dance and was way too hard to do consistently anyway. I like this new tech. ^_^

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Naming techniques after players is pretentious and silly. Furthermore, a more straight forward title does less to obscure the understanding of what the technique is supposed to accomplish -- it's just more efficient.

-SynikaL
Exactly, if I tell my friends there's a "Dash Pivot Cancel" technique, they could likely figure out how to do it based on the name alone! If I tell them there's an "Ink Drop" technique, they'd probably guess there's a character that drops slippery ink on the ground, like Diddy Kong and his bannana peels. And when they saw the move the first time, they'd certainly never guess that's what I was talking about.

I'm going to call it Dash Pivot Cancel until a better name comes along that makes sense for what the move actually DOES.

TGM

Smash Lord
this tech seems to long or to easy to see coming....like SWD. which means it will be not useful.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Wobble has a technique named after him. I have no problem with Ink having one as well.

I like the sound of "Ink drop" anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom