• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
so sorda kirbyish... i cant wait to play as kirby or diddy F even bowser after what gimpy said im prolly not going to play meta knight or pit cuz EVERYONE IS GOING TO BE THEM

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Zauron, i don't even think you know how it works, cause it seems to be an exploit. The norm will be to fall and then do whatever but this new technique cancels that and the best name i could think of is pivot dash or ink drop cancel (and it makes sense as a name instead of just drop "ink drop" makes it sound cooler and this technique cancels that) but i could care less about the name.

It needs further implementation though, dash pivot cancel to grab does sound like a good mindgame though.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Metaknight seems interesting. I'm wondering how much his lack of a kill move will hurt him. At least he has a variety of combo moves, unlike Kirby did.

Speaking of Kirby, i can't wait to see what he gets. He got his Yo-yo dash attack over the fireball, which is hopefully good, but since he wasn't at the demo, no news.

Either way, it seems Diddy is the way I'm going. Hopefully he's got the kill moves as well as the combo moves. =D

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Oh noes, Samus = nerfed? I was hoping she'd actually be even better lol.

Bowser deserves to be top tier in this game lol. I'm SO glad he's been de-lagged. That's what I was hoping for.

Conformal_Invariance

Smash Journeyman
On the border of Westminster and Arvada, CO, in a
You know Nintendo probably has a name for that move, since its not like an exploit or something, its a move with an actual specific animation for each character. It may even show up in the manual, or at the very least on the Dojo. Its likely called something like Trip or Tumble or Stumble or something. Thus we should call the technique Trip-Cancel or Tumble-Cancel, etc. Naming it after a player is like naming Teching or Rolling or something after a player :p.
Only time will tell if Nintendo meant for it to be so!

I like Tumblecancel.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
im going diddy kirby or Bowser... but i dont know there stilll could be awsome characters... im prolly gunna pick diddy as my main and somone who noone uses as my secondary

edit: Inks sounds cooler but heres a name

ZauronInkGimpy Drop. ZIG drop... sounds neat lol

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
You know Nintendo probably has a name for that move, since its not like an exploit or something, its a move with an actual specific animation for each character. It may even show up in the manual, or at the very least on the Dojo. Its likely called something like Trip or Tumble or Stumble or something. Thus we should call the technique Trip-Cancel or Tumble-Cancel, etc. Naming it after a player is like naming Teching or Rolling or something after a player :p.
I agree entirely.~~
Naming things after players doesn't make sense, ie "wobbling" really isn't wobbling at all...Wobbuffet wobbles, not the Ice Climbers's multi hit grab...

Samochan

Smash Master
Well if meta plays like kirby, then I'm definitely gonna play meta. xD But someone confirm this stuff to meh:

With peach, confirm stitchfaces and float canceling and how dsmash affects shields next to someone and how cc'ing and all that affects dsmash and how many hits ad how quick it is, so it might not be completely useless albeit bad for KO'ing. Also I wanna know is peach's slap as quick as it was on ssbm and how is her ftilt tweaked. And I still haven't seen her dtilt or utilt.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
The cancel may be an exploit Ink, but the move itself is not. Thus the name of the technique should be <official move name>-Cancel. Just like "Jump-Cancel" grabs. Jump is the name of the move, but the technique is a Jump-Cancel. We don't know what the official name is yet or if Nintendo will actually give it one, in the meantime I think Tumble sounds pretty accurate to what we see, so I'd prefer to call it Tumble-Cancelling for now.

I'd be fine with Dash Pivot Cancel too though, that sounds very Smash-term-ish to me ;).

One must now wonder if the cancelling really is an exploit or if it is intended. If its an exploit, it may be fixed before the game comes out...

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
mmm yoshi doesn't have DJC? SAKURAI IS CRAZY -> no, im not saying this.

Instead i prefer that yoshi double jump isnt cancelble. Why? because he can do an attack after not-being flinched when he recovers, so it actually helps you.

Eggs WTF o_O

Kentalish

Smash Lord
Lol when i first saw yoshi do it i thought he accidentlu didnt use his egg lol

Eggtumble for yoshi lol...

But ink ftw

lets find some Boozer stuff lol

and DDK

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wonder if I'll still be able to main Mario and Samus, they got a few nerfs [fsmash and bomb jump] but I will try to keep them.

I'm not pleased at all with momentum airdodges, sans WD, it's limited in direction so it seems it might be less useful than the old aidodge.

Good job.

I'm glad JC grab and upsmash survived as well as pivoting and SHFFLing, at least we still have those.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
So back to another topic, can you E for All peeps check out more about the c-stick? I'm VERY concerned that it sounds as if the c-stick is no longer unique but has the same relation to Direction+A that the Z trigger did to R+A - it just sends the exact same input, rather than a unique command that does something different. This is evidenced by the fact that it can do charged smashes, does a tilt instead of a smash if you happen to be holding that direction already, and doesn't throw non-throwing items any more.

This means that it may affect your character in the same ways the normal stick does, and one of the main uses of the c-stick for non-n00bs was to perform an attack without moving in the direction of the attack. DAir without fast-falling, FAir while jumping back, BAir while jumping forward, DSmash without crouch cancelling your slide momentum, and so on.

Can you guys test this out? Like, try holding the C-stick in a direction while in the air and not using your normal stick and see if you begin to drift in the direction the C-stick is held. Try doing a DAir with the c-stick after the height of your jump and see if you fast-fall it. Try holding the c-stick down until the charged DSmash animation is done and see if your character then begins to crouch because you are holding it down. This will tell us if the c-stick in independant of your left analog stick+A or if it is just sending a duplicate signal to the game.

If it is changed to the way I suspect, c-sticking will soon become only useful to n00bs and because of force of habit. A tilt is EASIER without this new c-stick, since you already have to be pressing the direction of the tilt anyway, and pressing A would be easier than tapping the stick, and thus doing a Smash while holding the same direction on your main stick would be more useful than a tilt and gives you a move you couldn't do without the c-stick.

Charging smashes sounds neat I guess, but I use the C-stick to do the smashes as quickly as possible, and wouldn't want to lose a frame or 2 because I held the stick a bit too long. I also liked being able to throw items (when they are enabled) without having to use the Z-trigger by using the C-stick. And I REALLY liked being able to do a DAir without accidentally fast-falling. If all this is gone, the c-stick and all its special tricks have been severely nerfed IMHO.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I played a little of all the newcomers (except Pit for some reason), and I can say that Diddy is pretty fun. He can combo pretty well, and I love his Smash+B where he jumps on the opponent and does a "Chimpanzee on a Rampage" style attack.

"Hey Pepe, go for the eyes!"
"eep eep eep!"

Yoshi

Smash Lord
So is it safe to assume it's ok to main as Yoshi or will I be *****?

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
From the videos I'd assume his Down B lays a banana peel people can trip on. If there is anyone who relies on ground based approaches, and has nothing in the air I can see it being a decent block. Force them into the air with banana and peanut spam and attack them with Diddy's, apparently good aerials.

As for Yoshi, I haven't heard anything really good about him yet. =/ Only bad, aka still no shield jump, and now no DJC.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
We'll see what happens, thanks for the info. I just quickly read over everything, I'm excited to play as Bowser now :p

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
dude yoshi looks awsome man his up b is like marios side b it stalls u in the air and moves u forward a bit
Yeah, i had to quit yoshi because I CAN?T WIN EVEN A SINGLE ****ING MATCH BECAUSE AL THOSE CHEAP TOP tier

So i'm maining sheik...

But in brawl i will return to oversoshi (oversized ftw)

Jem.

Smash Master
Awesome stuff. Glad to hear Fox got the nerf he deserved!
So are those all the characters you saw, or the only ones on this demo thing or whatever that they're letting you play?
Very nice job, Gimpy.
Sonic ftw :]

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Awesome. Good thing Bowser got the tier up he deserves.And i love how Fox got mauled by the nerf bat, and that Peach got slightly smacked by it.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Not having DJC on Yoshi? Thank God. Why? Because seroiusly, being able to still move upwards while attack = win. There's still shorthop anyways, for the low ground attacks, though not as fast. But it does help Yoshi's recovery quite a bit.

I also LOVE the new egg. Can still use it in the air, but you end up being almost the same height you were before you used up+b in the air, instead of going down roughly a double jump's length because you used it. <3 No jump out of shield? Dang nabbit, that was one of Yoshi's issues. Hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

i also like how Bowser's shaping up. Having my two main favorites actually useable would be nice! It seems this game will be more balanced then Melee. Melee's balance? Only 6/26 characters were mainly used in the competitive scene. There were still others, but the top six or so were the most you saw. I'm hoping for at least 7 different characters to be used, and I'll be happy.

*sits and waits for more info*

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm still not sure I agree with Yoshis DJC being out. I seem to remember a big part of my playing was DJCing into starting an Fair, going through the lagging frames, and then fastfalling at just the right moment to hit someone with his head, just like a hammer. If you can't at least like...fastfall cancel his jump, his J shaped jump will be so predictable and easy to read.

However, if he retains "super armor" while ATTACKING during the J-momenut, well that would be just awesome. You could use his fair to spike people out of damaging recovery moves, especially Link.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
Awesome. Good thing Bowser got the tier up he deserves.And i love how Fox got mauled by the nerf bat, and that Peach got slightly smacked by it.
Yeah, sounds like they took some good steps in balancing the characters, of course it is much too hard to tell at the moment, but it looks good so far!

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I figured Ike would be slow unlike Marth with the two handed sword. Maybe I won't plan on maining him like I thought. Since I'm used to Falco/Marth I might have to jump on to play Sonic or Metaknight. Metaknight seems to play like Marth did in Melee, but that is pure speculation. Sonic seems very wild and crazy with his speed, the reason he appeals to me the most. But Gimpy, why does he seem so awkward?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Gimpy's post made me so happy.

I can't wait for this game to come out now.

Metaknight = new Sheik maybe? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom