• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Heh, looks like Gimpy started the Bowser craze.
Did you know in the Super Mario Bros game, whenever you reached the Koopa King fights in the respective 4th section of a world, you could use fire mario's fire balls to expose Koopa King as a goomba?

If you throw fireballs at Gimpyfish he actually reveals himself to be the real bowser. No joke.

He is the Bowser craze.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Are there any matches up somewhere of good people at Brawl.

Aka any matches of Gimpy/Hugs/etc?

If someone could gimme some links, that'd be awesome.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I gather from the first page that Gimpy and Hugs had the first ever brawl money match, I'd have liked to see that. Besides the two terrible videos from yesterday, I have yet to see any of decent players..

Elysium

Smash Lord
Did you know in the Super Mario Bros game, whenever you reached the Koopa King fights in the respective 4th section of a world, you could use fire mario's fire balls to expose Koopa King as a goomba?

If you throw fireballs at Gimpyfish he actually reveals himself to be the real bowser. No joke.

He is the Bowser craze.
:laugh::laugh: Oh man that was good. Funniest thing i've read in awhile.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Boozer Cute turned me on to Bowser. I always liked him, but never saw how I could perfect him, now I use him along with C Falc, pretty interchangeably. I look up to gimpy alot. -edit-not in a gay way.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Hmm Invincibility frames are still in? I never liked the ability for people to infinitely stall on the edge with invincibility frames, but I guess being more floaty will let other characters hit them. Can you still be completely invincible on the edge?

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Yes, you can still be completely invincible on the edge for a short period of time. Seems you can grab onto the ledge much easier now. No word yet on infinte stalls (yet). The floatiness seems like it'll screw up a lot of edge stuff we've got in Melee, our edgegames are likely to take quite a bit of development, distancing themselves from Melee's.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this has been said yet in this thread(hey I read more than half of the thread)
But this IS a demo, the physics and such might not be in their final state.

There is still about 3-4 months left of development time.

Prime Time

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, this is totally my opinion only obviously, I think they are just suffering from internal issues, such as, maybe just getting the Sonic deal going and perhaps pursuing another character or something...but that is just total spectulation

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
3-4 months of develoment time? Really?

The game will be distributed all across North America by February 10, which is less than four months away. How long do you think that takes to ship? How long to manufacture the disks? And how long before they begin manufacturing does development cease?

Also consider the interview with the translator that revealed he's getting the Dojo updates 3-5 weeks ahead of time. Add it all together, and I really doubt that the game is going to be developed very much beyond what may have been intentionally modified for demo purposes.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Zauron could you explain that move further, because I read all 34 pages on Gimpy's thread (even though it explains the move on the first post) and I still don't get what exactly does it do, I only know how its done.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Zauron could you explain that move further, because I read all 34 pages on Gimpy's thread (even though it explains the move on the first post) and I still don't get what exactly does it do, I only know how its done.
Hehe, 34. As in, Rule #34.

Never mind.

But anyway, this is basically what is meant:

The Ink Drop is basically a trip. It is caused by trying to dash dance, but doing it too late. Actually, I think it's caused by dashing in one direction, and then trying to dash in the other direction. Because the character still has a forward momentum while turning around (or trying to turn around), the character still moves forward. Because in reality when trying this out, you will trip. I think Sakurai tried to achieve the same effect, just for the lulz.

But, it appears you can cancel this movement.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Well I've not played the demo either, but from what I understand, it just makes you fall over, then roll back up again. You tripped. That's it. The only reason its interesting is Ink's discovery that you can cancel the falling over animation directly into an attack. Which means, if I understand correctly, that you can dash forward, run past someone, mash the other direction, which causes you to go into the trip/fall animation, but then immediately cancel the trip into an attack. Essentially, allowing you to attack someone with a non-Dash attack instantly out of a dash, particularly someone behind you. Hence "Pivot Dash Cancel", or, in other words, pivoting (facing the other way) which cancels you out of your Dash and allows you to immediately attack.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Is the "Random" slot in the demo?
Yeah, it's there. It just shows a ? on the character select screen if you use it. You won't know who you get until the match starts. :) I didn't find a Melee version of random (beyond turning the player/cpu on and off), but I didn't search too hard for it. We didn't have Melee's version 'til all chars were unlocked, though.

As for FLUDD. I'd say the range is roughly that of Samus's extra long grapple beam. I wasn't able to use it effectively, though the animation didn't appear to change with charged vs. uncharged.

If Ink Drop (nevermind the cancel) is an official tactic, that's all the more reason to not rename it yet as then we'd end up with renaming it twice, not once. Just wait it out for now. Also, Ink Drop does sound seksay.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
are shield guessing games removed? or was the lag on most aerials decreased to the point where you have time to spotdodge/ roll before getting shield grabbed?

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been said...I'm too lazy to read all the pages >_>

So if invincibility frames are still in when grabbing the edge, and it's now easy to sweet spot the edge...let's say with Link's Up+B. Wouldn't it be terribly easy to ledge drop -> up+b -> grab ledge over and over again, even if the characters were made floatier?

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has been said...I'm too lazy to read all the pages >_>

So if invincibility frames are still in when grabbing the edge, and it's now easy to sweet spot the edge...let's say with Link's Up+B. Wouldn't it be terribly easy to ledge drop -> up+b -> grab ledge over and over again, even if the characters were made floatier?
I think cause of the "edgehug" its easy to interrupt that kind of stalling

squiser

Smash Apprentice
I guess, but if we're talking up+b moves here, you'd have to grab the edge just as he drops or you'll be hit by the up+b, no? Is there a vid of edge hugging somewhere? >_> Will it be fast enough?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I guess, but if we're talking up+b moves here, you'd have to grab the edge just as he drops or you'll be hit by the up+b, no? Is there a vid of edge hugging somewhere? >_> Will it be fast enough?
Well if your opponent is constantly doing it, then you could try and stop him by edge hugging and if done and timed correctly could end up taking a stock away from your opponent, then again, your opponent might try and trick you into trying to edge hug him and then just end up making you dash off the stage while he is still grabbing on the edge.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
^Yeah that's what I'm thinking...seems like the guy on the edge has too much of an advantage.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Nice bunch of information, Mr. Gimpy. Thx.

Somewhat random question (for anyone, really): From all of the times you won with Bowser, were you able to tell if he (along with Peach, perhaps) has a different victory theme from Mario this time around similar to how Meta Knight has a different one from Kirby? It sounds like Link has a different victory theme as well; could you hear any difference?

Also, does Bowser still have his rather awesome spinning and/or clawing (and/or his less awesome roaring) victory poses? Do the characters have a different number than three this time around? Also, could you influence which victory pose your character did like in SSBM by holding a button?

Finally, with enough practice with it, could you see yourself using the Classic Controller on the same level as the GCN contoller?

One more thing...could someone please play through the SSE demo and try and play as Zelda? 'Cause Zelda's awesome and she should be teh buffz0rz3d and stuff.

Thx.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Thank you GimpyFish! I'll be sure to add this stuff to the my Advanced Techniques thread.

I have one more VERY IMPORTANT brawl question...

How tight is security? DiscSteal option? Take disc, dashdance a bit and jet out the door. Use friends as obstructions?

Perhaps you need to use some advanced techniques like BBB (Booth-Babe-Bribing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom