• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cort

Apple Head
LOL dude you changed my life too! on that same day, remember when we had that shiek ditto and you beat me? it was at that time I decided I wanted to make shiek my secondary. you opened my eyes to a new world of cheapness! <3 you Cort

*salutes Team Ben* now we need some h2yl up in here lol
Wow, I think I remember it. I thought I lost, though?

But I did better than uh.. chillindude or someone.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
C-Stick
The c-stick has changed, and its a welcome improvement. You can officially CHARGE smash attacks with the c-stick, which is nice, and you can also do tilts with it if you are holding the directions on the control stick in addition to the c-stick. its very useful
You can charge smash attacks with the C stick in melee also.

Hit z at the same time as the direction on the C stick and it charges.

Also, what about ledge cancelling?

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
Whaaa Oro returns?!!! You finally came out of the Himalayas meditating ,huh? Haven't seen a vid of you for some years I think..

Anyhow,please add more updates of Bowser. Looking forward to it.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Im not sure but I think you won cort...I know that was leading in the beginning tho. We should ask Isai. he was there, he remembers everything and he's too good.

They forgot to add pineapple on my pizza! I like my infants with some tropical taste!!!

Gimpy or anyone that used peach- can you please tell if peach's uair is beast or nerfed?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
i dont like charging idea of the c stick...too many c stick nubzz
Actually charging aint that bad, just release it intantly and you will get the same effect as Melee's C-Stick.

Now the ability to tilt is what bothers me, this means I wont be able to CC into a D-Smash, becuase instead a D-Tilt will come out.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Originally Posted by Falco&Victory
WAY TOO MUCH INFO!!!!!

Gimpy, is it possible to infinite edge-stall by dropping than sweetspotting the edge with a quick up+b?

what a great, unanswered question!

My believe is that depending on your character, yes, you will be able to edge-stall. Now, it is also possible for the opponent to wait for you to drop and then try edge hugging you. Now in order for him to edge hug you he will need to dash, roll or whatever right when you drop and time it right, if he does, its 1 less stock for you. So what I BELIEVE is that although this is possible it might be risky, also, edge hugging wont be the only way to stop this edge-stall, as your opponent could dash off the stage, FF to a B-Air and then just grab the edge himself.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
It's awesome that Bowser got the power he deserves. I hope Mewtwo gets the same treatment. Assuming he comes back.

It sucks that Fox was nerfed. I gotta try him out to see if I'll still main him or not.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Now the ability to tilt is what bothers me, this means I wont be able to CC into a D-Smash, becuase instead a D-Tilt will come out.
Hey that's right! It is also not good. At least we can change the layout if it's a problem (although we might not be able to change how the secondary stick works).

But what happens if you CC into an upsmash, like with Fox's upsmash? Will it do an upsmash, a down-tilt, or an up-tilt? Or nothing?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Rofl, Jigglypuff is gonna be top tier if shes in. No Wavedashing hurts jiggly the least because she is in the air a lot. Opponents will have a harder time edgeguarding and avoiding jiggly's WOP w/o wavedashing. Since characters can live around to 200% jigglypuff won't die easy. A quick way to kill your characters is by the bottom. Which is what jigglypuff is best at, of course, your not going to be able to do that against jigglypuff. And the meteor spikes. Jigglypuff now has a meteor spike that can now be a very evil move when opponents are trying to recover. Its all too perfecet. Its Jigglypuff's time to shine!

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
This thread became WIN when Husband, Oro and Azen started posting out of nowhere lol.

Man I wanna get some first hand impressions on the demo by Isai, just want to know what he thinks. At least some videos of him or something, he probably ***** already :)

EDIT: also, G, Mike, etc.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hey that's right! It is also not good. At least we can change the layout if it's a problem (although we might not be able to change how the secondary stick works).

But what happens if you CC into an upsmash, like with Fox's upsmash? Will it do an upsmash, a down-tilt, or an up-tilt? Or nothing?
LoL, good question.

I think it will still perform the Up-Smash, but who knows. :S

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Actually charging aint that bad, just release it intantly and you will get the same effect as Melee's C-Stick.

Yeah, that's going to suck. I'm hoping you'll be able to turn that off in the custom control options.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I just want to know if you can still c-stick a DAir without fast-falling past the top of your jump. From the way it works now, it sounds like it just sends direction+A to the game, instead of a unique command for c-stick smashes (this would explain why it doesn't throw items any more, because pressing direction+A does not throw items). This makes me think that tapping it down in the air will cause you to fast fall, and tapping it left/right in the air will actually move you that direction (whereas in Melee it wouldn't) meaning you can't hop back with a c-stick'd FAir as well as you could.

Can someone at E for All test out the c-stick more? I really depend on the c-stick for doing air attacks without fastfalling or affecting my trajectory. Great for high spike moves or retreating air attacks.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I just want to know if you can still c-stick a DAir without fast-falling past the top of your jump. From the way it works now, it sounds like it just sends direction+A to the game, instead of a unique command for c-stick smashes (this would explain why it doesn't throw items any more, because pressing direction+A does not throw items). This makes me think that tapping it down in the air will cause you to fast fall, and tapping it left/right in the air will actually move you that direction (whereas in Melee it wouldn't) meaning you can't hop back with a c-stick'd FAir as well as you could.

Can someone at E for All test out the c-stick more? I really depend on the c-stick for doing air attacks without fastfalling or affecting my trajectory. Great for high spike moves or retreating air attacks.
Actually I don't believe it works like A + Direction, since by holding it, it charges instead of tilts. You need to hold the direction in order to tilt, thus in my opinion means it workds different from the A button or Direction + A. (I think its like a mix between both).

Although someone should test out the aerials as you say. I don't use it as much for aerials as I do for CC smashes, but I am still curious to know if it does move you or make you fast fall.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
"Metaknight
TOP TIER yeayuhz!!
metaknight is one of the only characters that DOESNT seem overly floaty, he's very quick left and right, and very quick up and down. his float/hover thing is pretty awesome
very noob friendly, combos combos combos, he's got mad priority and power to boot, he's pretty freaking awesome too XD
metaknight has no glaring weaknesses, although vs my bowser metaknight couldn't kill him until very, very, VERY high percents (but people had trouble killing me anyways haha i actually was pretty good at brawl)
metaknight's down b doesn't reflect, its a teleport punish, its pretty tight, but it seems like it'd be really hard to apply, you can teleport any direction though, which is pretty cool. (like diagonal up and down and stuff, its nice)"

NOW THATS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!!!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Rofl, Jigglypuff is gonna be top tier if shes in. No Wavedashing hurts jiggly the least because she is in the air a lot. Opponents will have a harder time edgeguarding and avoiding jiggly's WOP w/o wavedashing. Since characters can live around to 200% jigglypuff won't die easy. A quick way to kill your characters is by the bottom. Which is what jigglypuff is best at, of course, your not going to be able to do that against jigglypuff. And the meteor spikes. Jigglypuff now has a meteor spike that can now be a very evil move when opponents are trying to recover. Its all too perfecet. Its Jigglypuff's time to shine!
100% truth, right here.

i cant wait.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
All Ball like characters are going to be top tiers probably. If kirby plays like in 64 he will be top tier again in brawl. Metas high tier ftw.
Is Sonic a ball? Technically he is one for most of the time.

Really looking foward to trying to main him, but I've heard mixed opinions, I've heard he is just decent, some say he is bad and uncomboable but Gimpy says hes good, even though he has an awkward feel and a tough learning curve.

But as long as he is good :).

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
If jiggly comes back......its gonna be war

Kirby meta and jiggly are on my to beat list forever. especially that jiggly.....she was already a pain in the *** in melee and now WDings out of the picture!!!!.........

My chances of beating her have been cut in half or even more since I use rolly polly samus............this is gonna get messy :(

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Actually I don't believe it works like A + Direction, since by holding it, it charges instead of tilts. You need to hold the direction in order to tilt, thus in my opinion means it workds different from the A button or Direction + A. (I think its like a mix between both).

Although someone should test out the aerials as you say. I don't use it as much for aerials as I do for CC smashes, but I am still curious to know if it does move you or make you fast fall.
No, think about it for a minute.

If you press the C-stick forward when you are already holding forward, it does a tilt, according to Gimpy's report. Which is exactly what would happen if the game recieved the signal for "Hold Forward and A" if it was already recieving the signal for "Hold Forward" (getting the forward signal when it is already getting the forward signal means it couldn't have been a Smash on the stick).

A charged Smash will only work if you press and hold the C-stick when you are not already pressing that direction (so you don't do a tilt instead). And, if the game was currently recieving a signal for "Not pressing a direction" or "Pressing a direction other than Forward" then suddenly recieves "Hold Forward and A", it would do a charged Smash attack, because it would assume you had smashed the stick to Forward and pressed A at the same time, and are now holding them down.

Finally, if you are in the air with an item in hand that isn't thrown by pressing A (like a Beam Sword) and the game recieves the signal for "Hold Forward and A" from tapping the c-stick forward, you would not throw the item, you'd do an FAir or swing the item if it has an air swing. Which is exactly what happens in Brawl. Contrast this to Melee, where tapping the c-stick forward would automatically throw the sword forward even though "Forward+A" would do an air attack.

This is why I believe the game only recieves "Hold Direction + A" when using the c-stick now, which would explain the odd behavior of a stick that the Nintendo rep said was for "quick smashes in all directions" doing tilts instead, would explain why you no longer throw items with it, and would explain how it can now do charged smashes (it keeps sending the "Hold Direction+A" for as long as you are holding the stick in a direction). It would work the same way as the Z trigger, which just sends the game the signal "Lightly hold L/R and A" and is the reason you can shield with Z even though it is supposed to be a grab button.

If my theory is correct, than its possible the c-stick has been nerfed not only in doing a tilt when you really want a Smash, and not being as guaranteed to be the fastest smash attack you can do if you don't let go of the stick extremely quickly, and removing a convenient way to throw items if you are playing with items enabled, but has removed something I use a TON - DAir'ing without Fast-falling accidentally, and FAir'ing while hopping back for a retreating air attack.

My theory can not be disproven with current information, which is why I'm asking that more c-stick testing and info from the E for All players if at all possible, such as checking if holding the c-stick changes your trajectory in the air, causes fast-falling, and so on.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I gather from the first page that Gimpy and Hugs had the first ever brawl money match, I'd have liked to see that. Besides the two terrible videos from yesterday, I have yet to see any of decent players..
I'm just letting you know that no one is really any good at this game. Don't expect any high level gameplay from anyone yet. We all suck...

On that note, people need to not be "proud" of being any good at this.

1. It's a demo
2. The people you may or may not beat have probably played for a combined total of 40 minutes. It all means nothing.
3. Items are everywhere on every part of the stage.

The most you'll get, at least in the early vids, is enjoyment out of watching people you heard of play.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
How do you know Jigglypuff will still be as good? There was no wavedashing in 64 and Jigglypuff sucked in that game.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Besides more info on pikachu, I do have a legit question, guys.

In the podcast and on the boards, you speak of the Final Smashes almost as if you expect them to be a part of tournament play. I imagine they must be very fun, but as presumed items, do you expect to never see them in a tournament setting?

Would you like to see them in tourny even if they were ridiculous?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No, think about it for a minute.

If you press the C-stick forward when you are already holding forward, it does a tilt, according to Gimpy's report. Which is exactly what would happen if the game recieved the signal for "Hold Forward and A" if it was already recieving the signal for "Hold Forward" (getting the forward signal when it is already getting the forward signal means it couldn't have been a Smash on the stick).

A charged Smash will only work if you press and hold the C-stick when you are not already pressing that direction (so you don't do a tilt instead). And, if the game was currently recieving a signal for "Not pressing a direction" or "Pressing a direction other than Forward" then suddenly recieves "Hold Forward and A", it would do a charged Smash attack, because it would assume you had smashed the stick to Forward and pressed A at the same time, and are now holding them down.

Finally, if you are in the air with an item in hand that isn't thrown by pressing A (like a Beam Sword) and the game recieves the signal for "Hold Forward and A" from tapping the c-stick forward, you would not throw the item, you'd do an FAir or swing the item if it has an air swing. Which is exactly what happens in Brawl. Contrast this to Melee, where tapping the c-stick forward would automatically throw the sword forward even though "Forward+A" would do an air attack.

This is why I believe the game only recieves "Hold Direction + A" when using the c-stick now, which would explain the odd behavior of a stick that the Nintendo rep said was for "quick smashes in all directions" doing tilts instead, would explain why you no longer throw items with it, and would explain how it can now do charged smashes (it keeps sending the "Hold Direction+A" for as long as you are holding the stick in a direction). It would work the same way as the Z trigger, which just sends the game the signal "Lightly hold L/R and A" and is the reason you can shield with Z even though it is supposed to be a grab button.

If my theory is correct, than its possible the c-stick has been nerfed not only in doing a tilt when you really want a Smash, and not being as guaranteed to be the fastest smash attack you can do if you don't let go of the stick extremely quickly, and removing a convenient way to throw items if you are playing with items enabled, but has removed something I use a TON - DAir'ing without Fast-falling accidentally, and FAir'ing while hopping back for a retreating air attack.

My theory can not be disproven with current information, which is why I'm asking that more c-stick testing and info from the E for All players if at all possible, such as checking if holding the c-stick changes your trajectory in the air, causes fast-falling, and so on.

:S. Heres to hoping you can change it back to the "Quick-Smash" button it used to be, after all they keep saying: "The controls are fully constumizable, youll play as you desire"

I hope this is one of those "Customizable" aspects.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Dammit, I was going to main Bowser before but now everyone is jumping on the Bowser bandwagon >.> This is like SSBM and Fox all over again.

Does Mario's cape still help his recovery and is the hitbox as big as before?

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
This is a post on like page ~28 on Yoshi that I wanted to answer:

However, if he retains "super armor" while ATTACKING during the J-momenut, well that would be just awesome. You could use his fair to spike people out of damaging recovery moves, especially Link.
This is true, at least, I remember doing so to get a Sonic out of my face while I was getting back on the stage.

Don't lose hope just yet. I don't think Sakurai's team's going to neglect balance this time around(I hope so anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom