• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think if we keep naming them like this in a couple of years we ourselves will be confused with the names of the ATs, we should give them names based on what they do, or how they look, not on who found it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
How do you know Jigglypuff will still be as good? There was no wavedashing in 64 and Jigglypuff sucked in that game.
U wanna say that to me again. Jigglpuff did not Suck in N64. She was middle tier in that game and Middle tier in Melee. She didn't have the WOP in N64. Plus u completly forgot my other facts. The 200% fact and the Footstool jump fact.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Besides more info on pikachu, I do have a legit question, guys.

In the podcast and on the boards, you speak of the Final Smashes almost as if you expect them to be a part of tournament play. I imagine they must be very fun, but as presumed items, do you expect to never see them in a tournament setting?

Would you like to see them in tourny even if they were ridiculous?
The only reason all items were banned in Melee was because of exploding crate and stuff. If you could turn containers off, but leave other items on, some items might be allowed in Brawl tournaments.

Weird lag double post.

Anyway to delete a post?
No, but there should be.

Dammit, I was going to main Bowser before but now everyone is jumping on the Bowser bandwagon >.> This is like SSBM and Fox all over again.

Does Mario's cape still help his recovery and is the hitbox as big as before?
I think everyone's over hyping Bowser. All they said about him was that he's better than he was in Melee. That's not really saying much.

If you guys remember, when Melee first came out people thought Roy was the best. Right now we know next to nothing about who's good and who isn't. And we don't even know how all of the other characters play yet. So even if Meta Knight or somebody is the best out of the 14 demo characters, he could end up being mid tier compared to the rest of the roster.

U wanna say that to me again. Jigglpuff did not Suck in N64. She was middle tier in that game and Middle tier in Melee. She didn't have the WOP in N64. Plus u completly forgot my other facts. The 200% fact and the Footstool jump fact.
Jigglypuff was way better in Melee than in 64. And you have no idea how she'll play in Brawl if she returns, but she'll most likely be different. The question is how much different, and better or worse?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
The only reason all items were banned in Melee was because of exploding crate and stuff. If you could turn containers off, but leave other items on, some items might be allowed in Brawl tournaments.
No, the reason items werent allowed in Melee is because many of them gave random, unpredictable advantages to players that were based on luck, not skill. Nobody would be thrilled to get to the finals after paying $15 to enter a tourny and lose because your opponent kept getting a star, recovered health randomly, or got you killed by 50 pokemon.

Zink

Smash Champion
No, the reason items werent allowed in Melee is because many of them gave random, unpredictable advantages to players that were based on luck, not skill. Nobody would be thrilled to get to the finals after paying $15 to enter a tourny and lose because your opponent kept getting a star, recovered health randomly, or got you killed by 50 pokemon.
actually freeman is right, ask Mic if you don't believe us.

sirusorion

Smash Rookie
I think the only bad part in Brawl is those Final Smash balls...You can't turn them off can you? >>; This game looks fun, but as a competitive game? Not really it seems that Nintendo still loves that "Family" feel that it has right now.
I pretty sure they will make it turn off able
and ssb looked like a friendly game too, remember the
commercial for it. Those goofy pikachu and mario costumes
and the all so friendly music.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I pretty sure they will make it turn off able
and ssb looked like a friendly game too, remember the
commercial for it. Those goofy pikachu and mario costumes
and the all so friendly music.
How many years ago was that? Like 11? Brawl needs to be more like hardcore/fun type. Instead of just like one or the other. In other words, it needs to a steep line between hardcore and casual. Not mixing the two.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Certain items would have been banned.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
So Mr. Saturn gave unpredictable advantages based on luck and not skill?

I think the only bad part in Brawl is those Final Smash balls...You can't turn them off can you? >>; This game looks fun, but as a competitive game? Not really it seems that Nintendo still loves that "Family" feel that it has right now.
Nobody knows if you can turn them off, but you probably can.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Well what I'v read some place on these post in this forum.....:p Smash balls come out of capsules
and boxes, just like items, so if items are turned to none, smash balls don't have that option of appearing in the first place.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Well what I'v read some place on these post in this forum.....:p Smash balls come out of capsules
and boxes, just like items, so if items are turned to none, smash balls don't have that option of appearing in the first place.
well actaully it appears from the videos that they also just randomly appear out of thin air...and even if they do need to have items on to appear, im sure there will be an item switch option for item carriers as well as the items themselves.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
well actaully it appears from the videos that they also just randomly appear out of thin air...and even if they do need to have items on to appear, im sure there will be an item switch option for item carriers as well as the items themselves.
aaa crap :p now smash balls are back on my worry list.....not that there not fun and all but....they just seem to have that "easy button" kill feel to it......well for some people. Forcing us to use it so we can have "fun" would be really pushing it for me.

Edit: items randomly appear to i forgot :p maybe there is some hope.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You can drop the Smash Ball if you're attacked before you use it, just like regular items.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Smash ball is OP, you see how hard it is to dodge Ikes?! or links? or Sonics or Pika's?!?!!

samus and mario are the only hard ones to dodge from what ive scene... but both have rediulous start up time. Mario's has no knock back, Samus' doesn't kill until mid. 40 damage if it all hits... peaches down smash did that crap in melee.

That first line was sarcasm if you did't catch that.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If I can recall correctly in one of those gameplay videos Nate says something about being able to change the "rarity" of the appearance of Smash Balls, if this were true then that means you could change this "chance of appearing" to never..., I am going to see if I can find the video were he says it for you guys.

Edit: PS: No and I am not talking about the one where he says he can't instant-spawn them.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Meta Knights is the "hardest" to dodge though ;)

Seriously though, by the looks of it, SBs are close enough to fair and "luckless" for me :ohwell:

And fine some stuff on Diddy and Pika for crap sakes. I thought they looked like top tier material at first look but noone has reported crap jeez.

And as for SB, Zamus might be out of luck if they're gone o_O

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't it stated that the smash balls differ from regular items?
the only really "different" thing about them is that you attack the smash ball twice to activate it for yourself.

but just like items, if you're hit hard enough you'll drop the smash ball, and I guess for whatever reason according to Rockettrainer you can also DROP them.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
aaa crap :p now smash balls are back on my worry list.....not that there not fun and all but....they just seem to have that "easy button" kill feel to it......well for some people. Forcing us to use it so we can have "fun" would be really pushing it for me.

Edit: items randomly appear to i forgot :p maybe there is some hope.
Why on earth would Sakurai take out the option to turn items off? I will go out on a limb and say "You will be able to turn off all items including smashballs" so don't worry :D

-Knight

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
You can't adjust the item settings at all in the demos, so there's no way they could have changed the rarity of smash balls in that.

It's not like smash balls are really that unfair. You have to fight for them. They aren't like hammers or bombs that can just appear right next to someone.

SHINE FX

Smash Apprentice
Well, even if the smash balls can't be turned off, it doesn't mean we have to use them, right?
You have to hit a few times before it activates, and even then, you can choose whether or not to use it. So, assuming they have to appear, it could be a rule not to use them in the tourney scene. (Not sure if anyone else has almost pointed this out)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You can't adjust the item settings at all in the demos, so there's no way they could have changed the rarity of smash balls in that.

It's not like smash balls are really that unfair. You have to fight for them. They aren't like hammers or bombs that can just appear right next to someone.

I know, but the announcer says that in the game, as in the final version, your able to change the rarity of the appearance of the item, which means it can be turned off, beb let me look for the video.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
So far, I like this thread. Check the E4All impressions discussion thread and you'll see why... Anyways...

The Final Smash that would most likely make Final Smashes banned is... well... Peaches. Why? Sleeping and IT CREATES A SWARM OF HEALING ITEMS. Some tourniers don't have a high tolerance for Final Smashes, so... Peach's could be the straw. Besides, Bowser would also SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY SADLY be a straw also. Why? Giga Bowser and... umm... listen to the podcast to figure out what else is what I'll say.

In the end, I doubt Final Smashes will last more than a year or two in the competitive scene, if not less. They are more suited for the casuals and not the hardcore I guess. Besides, they seem to tilt the tide of battle WAAAAY too much, especially for some characters.

Either way, the game seems more balanced, so that's good. :D

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If all items are turned off except Final Smash balls, wouldn't that mean the peaches that come from Peach's Final Smash wouldn't appear at all? And I remember reading somewhere that you CAN block it.

The only FSs that appear "broken" are Mario, Samus, and Bowser.

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
well like someone mentioned earlier, how would zero suit samus come into play without smash balls? im sure there can be a way of compensating for smash balls like perhaps making tourney matches out of 5 stock, or some other rule tweak. i myself dont like the concept of smash balls too much but, i havent played/ i'll probably get used to it.

Magic

Smash Apprentice
On the contrary, unless you're on the other side of the stage, it seems easy enough to just jump above or roll behind Mario/Samus.

Bowser is pretty sick though. <_<

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
On the contrary, unless you're on the other side of the stage, it seems easy enough to just jump above or roll behind Mario/Samus.

Bowser is pretty sick though. <_<
Unfortunately, on the case of Samus, even if you get behind her, your attacks will go through her up until Zero Suit Samus appears.

This also includes the white flashing portion after Samus fires.

I'm still guessing this is the same case with Mario, but Bowser... ugh, I tried to damage him in Giga Bowser mode but he absorbed the attack while taking no damage

WhatIsFear

Smash Ace
even if zss sucks, it would seem unfair if smash balls were banned. theres always going to be someone that likes to use a certain character(even a crappy low tier), and if zss isnt available im sure some people are going to be sad.

maybe smash balls will help bridge tier gaps, assuming low tier characters have amazing final smashes. once again i havent played, so its just a thought.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Smash Balls in tourney+Bowser=Gimpy, Emperor of Smash.

This is the definitive equation of ownage.

See? Math is good for you. <_<

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Maybe the option to change into ZSS becomes available from the character select screen when you turn off Smash Balls...<_<

Also, is it me, or does Pikachu's Skull Bash actually seem a lot better (going by videos here BTW). A small charge seems to give it close to the speed of a Misfire--even though it has way less range--and it seems to have less lag.

Magic

Smash Apprentice
Skull Bash definitely seems to be viable as far as recovery goes. It seems very fast too.

BDAOutlaw

Smash Apprentice
Also, is it me, or does Pikachu's Skull Bash actually seem a lot better (going by videos here BTW). A small charge seems to give it close to the speed of a Misfire--even though it has way less range--and it seems to have less lag.
Yah your right :) Pika's Skull Bash seems to have some extra Umph to it like the screen shakes dramatically and all. Nice upgrade for him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom