• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
There you go. Tumble for the move, and Tumble Cancel for the trick of cancelling it into an attack. That makes sense.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Wobble has a technique named after him. I have no problem with Ink having one as well.

I like the sound of "Ink drop" anyways.
The difference is Wobbling is a unique character-specific attack. Tumble Cancelling or Dash Pivot Cancelling is a mainstay technique that everyone can use and may end up as popular as Wavedashing. Mainstay techniques that everyone uses on all characters are not generally named after a player, only moves that a specific character does that a particular player made famous by making great use of it in a tournament or something.

Xyless

Smash Master
I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. Is the "Random" slot in the demo? If so, if you select it does it stay in place after the battle? In other words, does it pull what SSBM pulls and just randomly selects a player once, forcing you to randomly select again, or does it not show you your character until the start of the match?

I can't stand the current set up, where I have to deselect my previous random character to reselect another for the next match.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Exactly, if I tell my friends there's a "Dash Pivot Cancel" technique, they could likely figure out how to do it based on the name alone! If I tell them there's an "Ink Drop" technique, they'd probably guess there's a character that drops slippery ink on the ground, like Diddy Kong and his bannana peels. And when they saw the move the first time, they'd certainly never guess that's what I was talking about.

I'm going to call it Dash Pivot Cancel until a better name comes along that makes sense for what the move actually DOES.
Honestly, they would only guess that if they're being stupid on purpose or are a noob. Wobbling was named after wobbles. Or it coud just have two names, like DA Dash/Pivot. It would be Ink Drop Cancel (IDC)/Dash Pivot

Sir James

The Doctor
Who cares what the tech is called. It sounds catchy enough for me to remember, and it's application sounds pretty useful.

And Gimpy, I must thank you again for your information and dedication to providing us with the news. Awesome job.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Wobbles was a bit different, considering the multitude of grab combos the Icy's have and the fact the technique had actually been around forever before Wobbles decided to be first to employ it in tournaments.

Also, due to the rhythmic nature of performing the infinite, "Wobbles" fits.

No one calls DDing "Ken Dash" anymore. No intelligent player calls Ganon's Up Air spike an "Eddie Spike" anymore due to the simple fact that Tipman created so many much more useful variations after the fact. Naming techniques after players does nothing but beget problems and confusion.

-SynikaL

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I can't believe we're really debating this. What it's called is really not important.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I love how you left Pikachu out. >< Also, you can use Ike's side b to recover, and use his up-b after the side b. So you get horizontal with side b and vertical with up b. It works, I tried it.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
t!mmy's official update:

Meta Knight is a Kirby clone.

For all those people who didn't believe me, I told you so. Nyah!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just call it ink dropping because it sounds great and we found it out anyways, nobody is going to be confused at all because we know what it is already so get over it lol

festizzio

Smash Champion
Gimpy I'll be playing pikachu all day today, I'll submit information to your thread because you're obviously lacking. Also, his green ninja headband looks soooooooo cool. :D

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
just call it ink dropping because it sounds great and we found it out anyways, nobody is going to be confused at all because we know what it is already so get over it lol
Agreed.
Personally, we should DEFINITELY not be debating what it's called.
Maybe sometime in the future the name will get a change, but for now, leave it as Ink Dropping.
Besides, "Ink Dropping" has a sexy tone to it.

D: If we were to discuss anything about the technique, it should be speculation on how we could apply it.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Well considering the smash ball comes out of capsules and boxes and such, it's safe to say they won't be there with items turned to "none".

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
just call it ink dropping because it sounds great and we found it out anywaysl

Now there's some objective reasoning if I've seen it.

Whatever, it isn't that big of a deal, but it is silly. I'm not calling it that, lol.

-SynikaL

Kentalish

Smash Lord
somone research diddy PLEASE!!!! also in melee i think u could turn crates and stuff of if im not mistakin if not they dont explode nemore

also see if u can crawl cancle or somthing

Card

Smash Lord
Now there's some objective reasoning if I've seen it.

Whatever, it isn't that big of a deal, but it is silly. I'm not calling it that, lol.

-SynikaL
How about "Dash Drop" ?
Seems clean, simple, easy to say, and it still retains a part of the original name.

Runner-ups: "Dash Drop Cancel", "Wave Trip", "Dash Pivot Drop"

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
How about "Dash Drop" ?
Seems clean, simple, easy to say, and it still retains a part of the original name.

Just call it Ink Drop. It is getting annoying debating over something so trivial.

BTW, I have a question for anyone who has done the Ink Drop: Can you cancel it with anything other than a grab? If so, it allows characters with fast smashes to completely dominate.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
How about "Dash Drop" ?

I like the original "pivot dash cancel", personally. It isn't a total mouthful, despite how it looks in text, and all 3 concepts are clear and present.

-SynikaL

Zek

Smash Ace
No way am I calling it Ink Dropping either, I think we should take this opportunity to stop giving techniques random/obscure names that don't make sense to anyone who doesn't already know what they mean...

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
How about "Dash Drop" ?

I still like Tumble and Tumble Cancel. It looks like a tumbling animation, see?

shanus

Smash Hero
this thread went from awesome to ********. Let's keep it to brawl info and not stupid semantics

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
this thread went from awesome to ********. Let's keep it to brawl info and not stupid semantics
Calm down. There isn't much to talk about ATM regardless, as it'll be another few hours at least before people are back with more impressions. It's harmless semantics that are pertinent to not only this discussion, but the future of our community. If this irks you, stay the fvck outta the thread.

-SynikaL

Kentalish

Smash Lord
the gamespot interview has it... Just call it Ink drop i mean come on its a awsome name... plus i know Zauron pointed it out but still just stop arguing over it lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight details. (I pretty much went all Meta Knight)

As Gimpy stated, Meta Knight seems to be noob friendly. This is because he has attacks that come out very quickly, multi-hit, and has amazing recovery. But he does have "glaringly obvious" drawbacks (Gimpy, please edit that out of your post).

The main one is that he has Kirby's KOing power, as in none. When you smash someone, they will not die until 150% or more... and that's with his most powerful smash (probably F-smash). His U-smash is a very quick, triple hit which - while being great for building damage - is easily DI'd out of so the third and strongest hit won't land (and the third hit really doesn't KO anyway). The D-smash seems weakest of the three, which is really saying something.

Also, he has some really good moves, but some really poor moves (from what I know of them anyway). His Down+B is a short, laggy teleport... but it does look cool at least. His Up-B is amazing for recovery, especially because you can jump/glide after using it, but as an attack it's hard to hit with and doesn't do much damage at all. His Neutral+B is a tornado that doesn't seem to do much at all, though people were trying to convince me that it was broken for some reason. The "Triple Dash" (Side+B) was easily his best special attack, just because it comes out fairly quickly and can do so many hits that it usually does 20% - 40% damage (usually 30% when I used it).

Meta's throws are exactly like Kirby's, but they have different knockback and stuff due to the "floatiness" of this game. Up-Throw is like Kirby's Ninja Throw, but I found it really easy to combo out of (compared to Melee Kirby of course). The D-throw is like Kirby's Victory Dance, but they land a little bit different which probably doesn't matter for those of you that don't play Kirby. F-throw and B-throw don't Kirbycide, he just tosses them back or forward, I guess like Jiggly.

His taunts are awesome... except Side-Taunt, where he just holds out his sword. Up-Taunt: he disappears into his cape and reappears quickly. Down-Taunt he spreads his wings really wide, then closes and opens them again (this last open-close makes the taunt feel a little laggy).

His tilts are awesome, the side-tilt can combo into three hits, his d-tilt is like Kirby's but with more knockback (so in otherwords, like Marth's), and his U-tilt is rather narrow but is still a viable launcher (stabs up with his sword).

His aerials are like Kirby's, but using his sword instead of feet. For instance, instead of Kirby's triple kick F-air, he does a triple sword swipe. His neutral-air is like Kirby's Twinkle Star, but far less cute and easily more priority. Up-air is a quick swipe up, like Kirby's Up-air kick, but much weaker, vertical knockback, and more frames of hitboxes (Kirby's only lasts 3 frames, bleh). His back air seems to be worse than Kirby's, but I'll test it out more... Meta seemed to be more of a forward-facing character. His d-air is nothing like Kirby's however, it's a quick swipe down and it does indeed spike (probably meteor cancelable), but it felt very weak and definately doesn't have Kirby's multiple hit advantage.

His jab is just like Kirby's Vulcan Jab (the best multi-jab in the game IMO), but it feels like an automatic multi-hit. His dash attack is just a dashing kick, but it's a launcher so you can combo out of it.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just so everyone quits getting confused with this Ink thing, we shall call it a Stumble-cancel.

Everyone plays about the same as they did from Melee. Fox is kind of nerfed, and the game plays more like N64. They fixed up all the things I complained about endlessly with Melee, this is a huge improvement in gameplay.
I would type up a huge thing like t1mmy or Gimpy, but I'd rather go play more Brawl instead.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
You know Nintendo probably has a name for that move, since its not like an exploit or something, its a move with an actual specific animation for each character. It may even show up in the manual, or at the very least on the Dojo. Its likely called something like Trip or Tumble or Stumble or something. Thus we should call the technique Trip-Cancel or Tumble-Cancel, etc. Naming it after a player is like naming Teching or Rolling or something after a player :p.

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
Inkdropping sounds interesting, I wonder what more techs we can discover...
Off topic: Holy crap, its tommy from newgrounds! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom