• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
I knew the Names were a prank, but I kinda grew fond of "Ink Drop" perhaps I imagined a splatter of some sort.

Also, I would like to ask you something (Gimpy and no one else)

Did you notice aerial attacks giving you some big DI when you were sent flying?

I've seen some videos of this thing happening, but it seems really strange to me that attacks can prevent you from flying away, and I think it must be another thing we're missing.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Everyone knows Pokemon Trainer is going to be as broken as hell.

Bowser will be his only counterpick.

So every match will be Bowser v. PT, Bowser v. Bowser, PT v. PT, and I, since I like to play low tier characters, will be going Pokemon Trainer v. TINGLE (KOOLOO-LIMPAH)

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, that probably won't happen with most, because as we all know, most 'competitive' people only play to win, regardless of character preference, so if Mario does indeed turn out to be Top Tier material, all the slobbering masses will flock to him and ***** him out like they do Fox, Falco, and Marth now in Melee, rather than suck it up, be men(or women) and learn how to play well with their favorite character.

How I predict most SWF Brawl online matches: Mario Vs. Mario, Mario Vs. Meta-Knight, Peach Vs. Meta-Knight, Sonic Vs. Meta-Knight, etc... You can insert Diddy in there if it turns out he's really good as well.

Poor, poor Ike... Oh well, that means less idiots using my 'garbage tier, slow-***' character!
I dunno. After playing at EforAll I feel Brawl is a lot better about balance than melee was. I could be wrong maybe it will be just as bad. Sakurai said he wanted to create balance for this game and while perfect balance is impossible you can get pretty close.

At EforAll, other than Ike it seemed pretty good to me. Ike seemed kinda bad. Meta Knight is easy to pick up, but I think in the long run he won't be some amazing high tier guy.

Who knows, we can hope it's balanced enough that people can just choose their favorites. But chances are that won't happen. But we can hope

Kentalish

Smash Lord
im not going to be pit or metaknight as mains.. i love tje lower tiers i dono why i was always able to own with Ylink and yoshi...but in brawl i can see alot of metaknight vs pit snakevs metaknight ect ect.. the best metaknight video has got to be the one with timmy owning sonic with MK and the timmy and tommy match... the one with gimpy in it wasnt that good cuz thats when they first started playing

spKz

Smash Ace
Goldeen – Goldeen is again seemingly useless, HOWEVER with the new swimming feature added maybe we will see something happen if Goldeen flops into the water. But I doubt it.
splash attack anyone?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Unfortunately, that probably won't happen with most, because as we all know, most 'competitive' people only play to win, regardless of character preference, so if Mario does indeed turn out to be Top Tier material, all the slobbering masses will flock to him and ***** him out like they do Fox, Falco, and Marth now in Melee, rather than suck it up, be men(or women) and learn how to play well with their favorite character.

How I predict most SWF Brawl online matches: Mario Vs. Mario, Mario Vs. Meta-Knight, Peach Vs. Meta-Knight, Sonic Vs. Meta-Knight, etc... You can insert Diddy in there if it turns out he's really good as well.

Poor, poor Ike... Oh well, that means less idiots using my 'garbage tier, slow-***' character!
Ya see? This guy speaks the truth. I like to play competitively, too, but I hate seeing people only play for keeps. Fun should always be a factor. And I want Pit to be a great character, not because of tiers. Pit's my bud, so I only naturally want him to play well, but I also don't want him to be whored by everyone who only want to win.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I knew the Names were a prank, but I kinda grew fond of "Ink Drop" perhaps I imagined a splatter of some sort.

Also, I would like to ask you something (Gimpy and no one else)

Did you notice aerial attacks giving you some big DI when you were sent flying?

I've seen some videos of this thing happening, but it seems really strange to me that attacks can prevent you from flying away, and I think it must be another thing we're missing.
it's not so much that they were a prank, it was mostly just using the term in a joking manner, but nevertheless, the names are awesome.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ya see? This guy speaks the truth. I like to play competitively, too, but I hate seeing people only play for keeps. Fun should always be a factor. And I want Pit to be a great character, not because of tiers. Pit's my bud, so I only naturally want him to play well, but I also don't want him to be whored by everyone who only want to win.
He has no idea about what he's talking about. Most people don't do that.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
He has no idea about what he's talking about. Most people WHO ARE GOOD don't do that.
There. I fixed it for you.

That said, go to any decent-sized Melee tournament and tell me how many Mario players you run into on average... How many DKs? Samus mains? Ness...?

Now count how many Falcos, Sheiks, and Marths. Exactly.

Now ask those same people if that is there favorite character. NOT favorite Tournament character, but favorite in general. You'll be quite surprised at the responses. The fact of the matter is that there are FAR too many people who will sacrifice character choice in pursuit of a small chance of winning money at a tournament.
You can argue that's what tournaments are for; You might be right, but I always saw tournament play as a chance to test your abilities with your character of choice, not the character that gives you the highest chance of winning, statistically speaking... But that's just my opinion, obviously.

Now, this thread isn't for this kind of discussion, it's for reading/commenting on Gimpyfish's impressions on the Brawl Demo. Thank you for all you work, Gimpy, and I apologize for dragging the topic off-course. Carry on.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Ink dropping is a term that will stick with us forever. You can't take that away from us no matter how hard you try, Mr. Gimpy.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Ink dropping is a term that will stick with us forever. You can't take that away from us no matter how hard you try, Mr. Gimpy.
I'd rather call it a "Trip" than an "Ink Drop". It just makes things clearer and universal instead of having a hidden meaning.

Call it what you want, but, you're the one who's gonna have to explain it if someone doesn't know what you're talking about.

Either way, it is what it is. Calling it by any other name doesn't change what it is.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
I personally love the way you titled the techniques Gimpy, and feel some people should develop a sense of humour. Thanks for all the information!
I can't wait to read what your Character Impressions of Ike

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
You guys need to calm down about this naming thing. god he put hours and hours and hours of work into getting these updates for you guys, and you flame him about him calling wavelanding the moneyslide?

you guys are children. grow up.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Well, I am in favor of keeping the name Inkdrop, but I am pretty sure that the developers have an official name for it, but until then Inkdrop sounds fine.

Sliq

Smash Master
If you did indeed intend for the move naming thing a joke, and didn't just make it up to cover your ***, than kudos to you, Gimpy, for being the only mod with the balls to troll his own topic.

Fawriel

Smash Master
SERIOUS BUSINESS

Newsflash: Gimpy and other players were there having fun. Having fun while playing inevitably spawns running gags. It's not like Gimpy has already ordered official "Ink Drop" stamps or something.

If people want to use Ink Drop, that's fine. It kinda has a nice ring to it. But it'll probably end up being called Tripping.
Hugging is perfect. No reason to change it.
The rest never really started circulating or anything, I think, so there's probably no "danger" of them being accepted as the official names.
Also, you know, we are talking about advanced techniques of a game that's not coming out for another third of a year.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
...I like Ink Drop. I really do.

****. If only King Dedede was revealed a week or two earlier...:( maybe we could've had some sweet gameplay vids of him...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
wow, i haven't been on this thread for a while. good job gimpy. i'm guessing this is a pain in the a** to finish. well, i appreciate a lot with what you did at E for All. it's good to know some of the mechanics of Brawl.

thanks much and such

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I am just curious. Exactly who Gimp thought he was trying to fool with his "clarification" update? How delusional can you be? This thread had no reason to be pinned at this point, or when it was first started.
No reason to be pinned? Gimpy's impressions are the most comprehensive on the Internet. I think this thread deserves to be pinned.

Jx31

Smash Ace
I am just curious. Exactly who Gimp thought he was trying to fool with his "clarification" update? How delusional can you be? This thread had no reason to be pinned at this point, or when it was first started.
Ok, you can make a thread stating how much you dislike Gimpy's impressions, but, please do not bring this off-topic crap on this thread, thanks.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I don't buy the update either, but the whole thing is way to frivolous for me to care.

-SynikaL

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
There's a simple and obvious reason why this is stickied, RoyalRook, I think you'll agree.

It's because Gimpyfish is a mod.

If he wanted it stickied, he could just do it himself. Whether or not you agree with his information is irrelevant.

The real question then is, why did SWF decide that GimpyFish (who you apparently think is a self-absorbed moron from the way you talk about him) deserved to be a moderator over you?

Kamaji

Smash Ace
I think the real question is why the hell does anyone care? If you dont want to read it, then dont. But there are 128 pages on this thread now, so I would say EVEN IF the information wasnt relavent, this thread is popular enough to be stickied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom