• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimps

kevlar

Smash Cadet
Anybody got any good gimps? They can be situational, as long as they're not something crazy like
" Three frames after they jump..." I've been working on my marth for about 3 months, so he's okay, but not great. Any general advice on marth would be nice too, but I really love gimping (It's the reason I main fox and falco.):)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the key to gimping is just to hit the opponent and edge camp. cover all the options. you can be really creative with this, though marth's fair and dtilt are very versatile. the only move i dont think u can use while gimping is uair (unless u stage spike with it on battlefield, maybe)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I can think of so many its kinda unrealistic to list.

My advice is to experiment and see what works. You'll see that gimps are more or less RPS style. (Rock paper scissors)

If your opponent does something it can beat out a certain gimp but may leave him vulnerable to other gimps.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
slap down in the face when they are off the stage I bet that would work. Also yelling as you try to hit them forced them to laugh loudly and lose focus

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I can think of so many its kinda unrealistic to list.

My advice is to experiment and see what works. You'll see that gimps are more or less RPS style. (Rock paper scissors)

If your opponent does something it can beat out a certain gimp but may leave him vulnerable to other gimps.
Pretty much this. It sounds strange but Marth is somewhat of a spiritual character. When you get into a certain zone with Marth you won't even have to read.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
as I said it wouldn't make much sense. Its just how u feel after playing marth for so long. Your like...I'm gonna jump and Fair...because I know he's gonna be there.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Typically we use words like predicting their jump rather than spiritualism to describe this spam lol.

Sounds like some yugioh heart of the cards ****.

Which btw is totally legit.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Typically we use words like predicting their jump rather than spiritualism to describe this spam lol.

LOL I know. Every once in awhile though it feels kinda like you know though. Almost like dancing except there is violence and ****.

VietGeek

Smash Hero

teczero and his pre-brawl metagame dreams

Signia

Smash Lord
this guy is obviously new so listing some common gimps for him to try out would be much more helpful than overly general advice.

Here's a really simple gimp/edgeguard against fox/falco:

after you hit them off the edge and force them to use their double jump:
0. force them to use their double jump by edgehogging their attempt to grab the ledge with it. Or just hit them hard enough.

1. jab if they try to side-B to the ledge or right at you. They will be forced to use their up-B.

2. down-B counter their up-B if they wait and use it below the stage, but too far away for you to drop down and fair or up-B. They can avoid the counter by doing a very careful sweetspot from below. If you predict they will go for that, WD to the ledge. Fastfalling will make your edgehog faster.

3. if you react fast enough to them up-Bing below the stage, run off, fastfall a bit below them, then double jump and fair. Up-B and you should be able to make it back. If they are too low to do the rising fair, instead reverse Up-B them. If you have countered their up-B, or jabbed their side-b at a mid-high percentage, you don't have to react. They will always be in a position to be up-B'd or fair'd.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero

Made me laugh haha

vs Falcon it's like some RPS between stealing the ledge when they try to sweetspot with their 2nd jump and ledgehop an attack / counter their DJ attack / wavedash off double reverse Fair

Or something like that

When in doubt / have no time for anything else just Dtilt the ledge and hope they suck at sweetspotting haha

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Anybody got any good gimps? They can be situational, as long as they're not something crazy like
" Three frames after they jump..." I've been working on my marth for about 3 months, so he's okay, but not great. Any general advice on marth would be nice too, but I really love gimping (It's the reason I main fox and falco.):)
any specific characters you want to ask about gimping with marth? your question is sort of vauge

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
pro-tip sheiks gay
on the forreal tho... sheik gets all dissapeary when she recovers, so its generally best to legdehog and make her go on stage. her recovery is very laggy so u should be able to get back up and either hit her, or ideally throw her back off

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
pro-tip sheiks gay
on the forreal tho... sheik gets all dissapeary when she recovers, so its generally best to legdehog and make her go on stage. her recovery is very laggy so u should be able to get back up and either hit her, or ideally throw her back off
this. The M2K vs KDJ edgeguards are by far my favorite to pull off.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
I find when d-throwing an opponent off the edge that there are a few good options.
1) WD ledgehog (works good on characters with laggier recoveries) or WD fair
2) Turn around d-tilt (may require odd timing)
3) Counter, fsmash, or shffl dair in place (if they try to attack).

Thats just what ive found for just d-throwing off the stage.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
tippers gimp well.

one of my favorites against spacies is backthrow/dthrow spacies at really low percentages so they drop below the ledge and have to firefox/bird directly upwards. grab the edge and recover w/ dair.

another one that works pretty well for the first few times against other marth's is dthrow off the ledge and sometimes they will try to recover onto the stage directly with a double jump. full jump and dair them

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Pretty much this. It sounds strange but Marth is somewhat of a spiritual character. When you get into a certain zone with Marth you won't even have to read.
as I said it wouldn't make much sense. Its just how u feel after playing marth for so long. Your like...I'm gonna jump and Fair...because I know he's gonna be there.

XD

btw spam I agree with you on that

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
tippers gimp well.

one of my favorites against spacies is backthrow/dthrow spacies at really low percentages so they drop below the ledge and have to firefox/bird directly upwards. grab the edge and recover w/ dair.

another one that works pretty well for the first few times against other marth's is dthrow off the ledge and sometimes they will try to recover onto the stage directly with a double jump. full jump and dair them
Are you just ignoring the fact that they have a double jump
Also you can sweetspot past Dair / tech it on stages that allow you to ride the ledge with Firefox

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
tippers gimp well.

this doesn't work at all godammit.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
we like to play with ourselves too.
^this. I just finished cleaning up before reading that...ah well he's banned now so no point in replying.

and yeah KK rules. After his performance at ROM3...I'm hoping he can perform that way for me...in private.....

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
one of my favorites:
after jabbing spacies, drop down, sideB, rising fair, recover and edgehog. doesnt work all the time, obviously, but fun.

RPS is a good way of putting it

Velox

Smash Ace
one of my favorites:
after jabbing spacies, drop down, sideB, rising fair, recover and edgehog. doesnt work all the time, obviously, but fun.

RPS is a good way of putting it
It's fun to just side-b them continuously down to both of your deaths heh, if in friendlies.

The other day my friend legitimately did this with fox instead of marth and with shine instead of side-b on my sheik on yoshi's story (like hitting me against the wall while shining about 5 feet away from it)... disgusting...

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It's fun to just side-b them continuously down to both of your deaths heh, if in friendlies.

The other day my friend legitimately did this with fox instead of marth and with shine instead of side-b on my sheik on yoshi's story (like hitting me against the wall while shining about 5 feet away from it)... disgusting...
You disgust me.

Top Bottom