• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimps

Velox

Smash Ace
Sheik is supposed to disgust Falcon. When I played Falcon, I was often disgusted by a Pikachu. Every character can disgust Falcon really.

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
grab the ledge, drop down, use your double jump and bair. then up b back to the stage

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I generally either just say **** it and fair or bair, but more often I use reverse up b cause it's satisfying and looks cool. If my up b won't get me back to the ledge, I intercept recovery with it, cause I'm really good at that.

Kadano

Magical Express
I know that Marth has pretty much the easiest gimp/edgeguard-game against fastfallers, so I really want to get near perfect at it.

I currently understand this: If you get them off the stage with fthrow or dthrow (at low %), you first need to take their rejump away. I always tried this with downtilt, but if they sweetspot the rejump just after the throw, I never get them. Some people told me that neutral B hits under the edge and should be preferred for this, especially to prevent early illusion/phantasm. Also, should fthrow -> dtilt always work if I press it fast enough? I don't get it very often.

So putting the edgeguard in order (please correct all mistakes; underlined is what I'm somewhat sure about and italic what I'm guessing):
1) Getting the opponent off the stage: Fthrow -> Dtilit or Dthrow

2a) vs. sideB on the stage: neutral B/jab
2b) vs. sweetspotted rejump to the ledge: also neutral B (is it possible to wavedash to the ledge to edgehog them before they get there?)
2c) vs. early rejump with aerial: counter/jab/weak fair
2d) vs. sweetspot sideB to the ledge: should neutral B get them if I do it at the right time? Afaik, this works only on FoD, but if someone here could clear this up, I'd be very happy.
2e) vs. airdodge on the stage: regrab/wd back -> fsmashU]/weak uptilt (horizontal knockback)
3) Once they have no rejump, they can only use upB.
3a) (Fox) he "charges" the upB quite far down – I can't get there to fair or reverse dolphin slash without getting burned, and he is not too far down that he couldn't get on the stage with the right angle. If I go for counter, my opponents always angle it straight upwards and grab the ledge during my lag. Because of that, I try to always jab, but they just get the same position again and eventually, they'll angle it to the stage and mostly even sweetspot it (what is the best option if I'm sure he's going for the angled sweetspot? Should I try to edgehog him and do the wavedash just as his direction is determined? Is this even possible in that short amount of time (I need to turn / dash to the stage, wd back, fastfall)?
Lately I thought that maybe neutral B could be a great option here too. But the problem is that if I stand outwards enough to hit them if they do it straight up, they'll angle it and get into my range before my hitbox hurts them, and if I wavedash slightly back so that said problem doesn't occur, I always don't get them when tehy do it straight upwards. Is there a "perfect distance" that I'm missing?

(Falco) Okay, vs. Falco, the first two steps are harder, but once he has to upB, he's pretty easy. If he does it as far down as Fox in the described situation, I can simply edgehog, so he has to do the upB earlier. If I stay on the stage, the situation is pretty much the same as against Fox (and thus rather bad for me, unless I'm missing something), but I have the adavantage that I can go down there without getting burned. So how do I do that best? Drop down and rejump with a bair? I think this should work at low %, at high % they could walltech to escape, though. If they are not that close to the stage, but quite far down, I guess reverse dolphin slash is the best thing, and fairs, neutral B or an offstage rising nair if they are at a higher position. Is this correct?

3b) They charge it quite far away from the stage horizontally (just out of tipper range), but at approx. the stage's height. They have three options here: I) angling slightly downwards to grab the ledge, II) horizontally so that they'd hit me, III) upwards at varying angles.

I) Dtilit or neutral B, I guess? sideB also covers up II, so I guess that's the way to go.
II) Fsmash or neutral B (again, neutral B seems safer but has less killing potential as charging it while they can still decide the angle would make them go for III
IIIa) Slightly upwards angled (30-45°), just above Fsmash range: I guess nair and fair are my only options. Nair is maybe the better choice here because they could neutral B after the fair, I guess?.
IIIb) ca. 60° upwards: a short hop aerial won't get him, I think, so I have to full jump or just wait. If he decides to DI back, I guess neutral B is the best choice, again? If he goes to the stage, I guess I have to capitalise on his landing lag according to the stage environment and get a nair or something in, but the gimp is probably over.

3c) They do the upB both horizontally and vertically far away from the stage. Hitting them with a rejump fair or reverse upB is impossible I guess (or just very hard?), so I have to either hit them after the charge-phase with a perfectly timed reverse upB (unfortunately my timing is nowhere good enough yet), grab the ledge and try to get them with a bair or stay on stage. If neutral B really hits slightly below the stage, it's probably my best choice in this situation, so knowing this is the most important of my questions here.

A link to detailed knowledge about this is appreciated a lot too; unfortunately I didn't manage to find Mew2King's posts about this (which are said to exist).

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
as I said it wouldn't make much sense. Its just how u feel after playing marth for so long. Your like...I'm gonna jump and Fair...because I know he's gonna be there.
I see what you mean, I don't main marth or anything, but I get what you mean Marth's game is all about spacing because its his best stat. if I'm playing my roommate and I'm Marth while hes fox, I can dd or wd around and wait for him to react, then I know what he'll do, and I'll grab and do whatever, and along the way say he's off the edge ABOVE it at about 45 degrees, he's going to sweet spot, then I'll jab, when he falls below and is unable to sweet spot, and comes up via firefox, I'll f-smash or shield breaker because I know he'll be there, because its either there, or he's dead.

something I've noticed over the last couple days is that marth makes me think, and I imply the thinking into my other chars, like Fox and Falcon, and I've been three stocking him recently.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but if the falco or fox tries to shine stall at the bottom after a d-throw, wavedash backwards and then when your near or above the opponent, just use up-b or rising fair.

Kadano

Magical Express
I got some advice from Ice (best German Marth), in case some of you care, here is it (edited into my previous post):

1) Getting the opponent off the stage: Fthrow -> Dtilit or Dthrow / situational other attacks

2a) vs. sideB: neutral B/ double jab. More specific:
.1) Sweespot to the ledge: dtilt
.2) Slightly higher than sweetspot: also dtilt
.3) In front of Marth (height between his knees and neck): jab / double jab (if the first was not tipped or they SDI it to the stage)
.4) Over Marth's head: neutral B
.5) Over neutral B range: sh fair to jab/dtilt
2b) vs. sweetspotted rejump to the ledge: also dtilt (it is possible to wavedash to the ledge to edgehog them before they get there, but if they are fast, they can airdodge on the stage)
2c) vs. early rejump with aerial: counter (v. Falco)/jab/dtilt
2d) vs. airdodge on the stage: regrab/wd back -> fsmash/weak uptilt (horizontal knockback)
3) Once they have no rejump, they can usually only use upB; if they are higher, see 2a).
3a) (Fox) he "charges" the upB quite far down: Edgehog -> fastfall -> sideB or upB if there's little time.

(Falco) reverse dolphin slash if he is not too close to the stage horizontally; otherwise sideB or bair/fair if he has too little % to walltech it upwards.

3b) They charge it quite far away from the stage horizontally (just out of tipper range), but at approx. the stage's height. They have three options here: I) angling slightly downwards to grab the ledge, II) horizontally so that they'd hit me, III) upwards at varying angles. Yout goal is to get them into a 3a) situation.

I) Tippered dtilt or jab
II) Fsmash or neutral B if there is enough time, otherwise jab or dtilt.
IIIa) Slightly upwards angled (30-45°), just above Fsmash range: short hop fair to jab/dtilt
IIIb) ca. 60° upwards: a short hop aerial won't get him, I think, so I have to full jump or just wait. If he decides to DI back, I guess neutral B is the best choice, again? If he goes to the stage, I guess I have to capitalise on his landing lag according to the stage environment and get a nair or something in, but the gimp is probably over.

3c) They do the upB both horizontally and vertically (downwards) far away from the stage. If there is enough time to hit them during the startup-phase: go offstage and fair or reverse upB them. If there isn't, you can either try to hit them with the reverse upB while they are moving (risky as you need perfect timing; if sou miss it, they have an advantage) or stay on the stage and try dtilt or even neutral B.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
usually run test gimps on friendlies just to see how players react to the specific moves your
doing.

after and after you have been doing so much variation in gimps you will just start to instantly know what the common method of getting back on the stage or ledge with certain characters

but otherwise :

when it comes to gimping just throw then off a back throw or down throw ( dthrow is usually best)

dtilt on reaction. usually that covers the instant jump

then ditilt again if you want to cover the jump to the ledge what is espically good its neutral B as it has a lil hitbox that covers more under the stage than fsmash does. but moving on usually its what you do after the first initial Dtilt but you have to IASA the dtilt to jab whatever

once you hit them again get ready to come down with a fair or bair

just get ready to CC anything if you come up with a air

thats basically a gerenal way to gimp

kevlar

Smash Cadet
wow, this is one of the dumbest things ive ever read. marth players are ****ing ******** ****heads who are full of themselves for no deserving reason. i hope you kill yourself.
Says the guy on the official website of a game he doesn't play telling others to kill themselves, yeah, WE are definitely the ones with issues

Grabs disgust falcon
Sheik is supposed to disgust Falcon. When I played Falcon, I was often disgusted by a Pikachu. Every character can disgust Falcon really.
Then explain Darkrain, that dude's falcon scares me

Sheik, Pikachu, and your Mother disgusts me.
Jigglypuff disgusts me.
You disgust me.
Competitive brawl disgusts me

any specific characters you want to ask about gimping with marth? your question is sort of vauge
usually sheik, but i was just asking about stuff like the ken combo, or fox's uthrow-> uair
I use heart of the cards in magic the gathering...it fails.
Then you should switch to yugioh
Interesting since the OP's Avatar is a Yu-gi-Oh! card.
Yeah, I kinda play competitive yugimonz, it's actually harder than people think

hit them with your sword.
slap down in the face when they are off the stage I bet that would work. Also yelling as you try to hit them forced them to laugh loudly and lose focus
Sorry I haven't been posting on my own thread, i kinda got grounded

Kanelol

Smash Lord
stand and jab unless they're recovering above the ledge

directly horizontal to, or below the ledge

down-b or jab are the best options

maybe f-tilt

ez

Top Bottom