• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's hard to say how much of a "Fan Pick" Steve is because I distinctly remember back in the Smash 4 days Steve was considered a meme pick on par with Shrek or Goku. It wasn't until Ultimate that I saw a lot of unironic support for him and even then the pushback against him was pretty strong until he no longer had competition with Banjo.

There's a pretty big generational gap at play. Characters like Ridley, K Rool, Banjo and Geno were staples of the Brawl and to some extent the Smash 4 speculation period, way much more so than some of these new fan picks like Steve and Crash who are only with Ultimate starting to catch major traction. It's kind of hard to pinpoint who is more "Requested" since it requires asking whether the fan demand from Brawl/Smash 4 should carry over to the current game and whether the younger Smash audience is accurately reflected online.
Hoo boy, this. Steve is one of those characters that people didn't bother acknowledging the difference between people that genuinely wanted him and the people that were just memeing, often assuming most people were one or the other. Cloud was the same way. Same with Ridley. Same with Isabelle. Waluigi, Doom Guy, and Master Chief currently suffer from this too. "You know there's people that genuinely want Waluigi, right?" "Literally impossible" says like half the Smash fanbase. Yeah, there was the Steve posters on /v/ but also the fact that Steve did pretty well in major polls. I dunno. The Smash fanbase kind of has **** optics when it comes to acknowledging the casual fans and how not every single Smash pick are for the hardcore fans.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
In regards to supporting a comic relief character like Waluigi, meming about him just kinda comes with the territory. Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't genuine support.

Same kind of goes for Steve, though he isn't inherently funny but seeing him in Smash is hilarious.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It's ironic and almost kinda funny that Mii costumes, a feature that was supposed to please fans of certain characters and make them not feel completely left out, has (not without reason) become so dreaded and viewed as a death sentence for a character.
I mean, the same thing is true for Assist Trophies, and this was over a decade ago. I guess it depends on how likely you see that character, the more painful the AT/MC is.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I mean, the same thing is true for Assist Trophies, and this was over a decade ago. I guess it depends on how likely you see that character, the more painful the AT/MC is.
Yeah, that happened with me with Shovel Knight. At least with assists you can still see the characters in action, rather than a goofy bobbleheaded dude masquerading as them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In regards to supporting a comic relief character like Waluigi, meming about him just kinda comes with the territory. Doesn't necessarily mean it isn't genuine support.
Tbh I don’t see why character memes are seen as the character just purely being for jokes and stuff like memes are a bad thing or something. Yeah, I enjoy all the Sans memes, some Steve and Minecraft memes (not the bad ones such as Grotesque Steve and other mean/negative ones; a lot of Steve fans including the Codename Craft account also hate that one btw), the Waluigi memes, Geno memes, and others, but I also genuinely like/love those characters and it feels like a large amount of other people do too even if they enjoy the memes as well.

It just seems weird to me. I know there are some literally impossible characters that get a bunch of jokes and stuff (like Goku, Shrek, and SpongeBob), but still, people would like them too if they were possible...

Of course, then there’s some like Bubsy who are known for hilariously bad games so you can kind of tell it’s purely a joke, even if the person wouldn’t mind them and just think they’d be funny...

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Tbh I don’t see why character memes are seen as the character just purely being for jokes and stuff like memes are a bad thing or something. Yeah, I enjoy all the Sans memes, some Steve and Minecraft memes (not the bad ones such as Grotesque Steve and other mean/negative ones; a lot of Steve fans including the Codename Craft account also hate that one btw), the Waluigi memes, Geno memes, and others, but I also genuinely like/love those characters and it feels like a large amount of other people do too even if they enjoy the memes as well.

It just seems weird to me. I know there are some literally impossible characters that get a bunch of jokes and stuff (like Goku, Shrek, and SpongeBob), but still, people would like them too if they were possible...

Of course, then there’s some like Bubsy who are known for hilariously bad games so you can kind of tell it’s purely a joke, even if the person wouldn’t mind them and just think they’d be funny...
Ngl it was pretty hilarious that Steve got revealed exactly 2 years after the Grotesque Steve meme was posted.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Shame that speculation for Smash will be dead for the next few months. I believe we are done for the year in terms of characters, and with ANY new amiibos coming mid February, I think we have at least 4 months of zero Smash news after Steve comes out Tuesday. No hints, no leaks, no data mine information.

The road to 8 is filled with flaming potholes from meteor strikes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Shame that speculation for Smash will be dead for the next few months. I believe we are done for the year in terms of characters, and with ANY new amiibos coming mid February, I think we have at least 4 months of zero Smash news after Steve comes out Tuesday. No hints, no leaks, no data mine information.

You forget we've had December reveals before, so I'm not counting out this year until it is 100% over

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I wonder how often Geno would get used in SFM videos once he's in Ultimate and an official model for him exists
The amount that King K. Rool gets brought up after his Ultimate reveal still boggles my mind. Not many people talked about him or gave him any kind of attention beforehand, except for the die-hard fans who wanted him to come back in either Smash or Donkey Kong Country. Basically, King K. Rool getting into Smash got people to talk about him that otherwise would never even acknowledge him. Top players talk about King K. Rool on their tier lists. Streamers post their reaction videos of King K. Rool and get a ton of views. Artists create a ton of merchandise of King K. Rool and sell them on websites or at conventions. Montages and meme videos of King K. Rool start to be made. And so on.

Now imagine all that, but for Geno. Regardless of anything like what people think of Geno’s viability, or what people think of how he plsys, or haters just hating, the fact of the matter is that a character getting into Smash is a huge honor. Geno’s position in gaming culture right now, from my perspective, is pretty similar to King K. Rool’s before his Smash reveal. If Geno got into Ultimate, I know for a fact that people will enjoy his character and talk about him significantly more. Since he would be a part of the roster, anyone that plays Smash at all would have to bring up Geno in conversation at one point.

This is why I like to lurk the Geno thread. I have had my dream character, King K. Rool, in the game for over two years now. I miss the days where we weren’t sure if King K. Rool would ever come back. Anticipating something for years on end, only for it to finally pan out despite the bumpy road along the way, makes for one of the greatest feelings I have ever experienced. It feels like winning the lottery. While I don’t care for Geno as a character too much, I can absolutely relate to what you guys are feeling right now. Hopefully Geno gets into Smash so that you can get your funny Source Filmmaker memes. Because I know that Geno will become even more beloved and well-known once he is added.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly it, my number one most wanted (Wonder Red) is not getting in for ultimate, and unless a sequel is in the works nobody knows about W101's future looks bleak, but if Wonder Red got a MC I would probably over the moon and spam Mii Brawler.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
This is the exact reason I cheered at seeing Sans (and Cuphead) costumed, but would cry if Geno did (again). Honestly, just having any Undertale (and Cuphead) content in Smash is amazing to me, because I never thought anything UT(/CH)-related had a chance in hell. Geno on the other hand has already been in both Sm4sh (as a costume) and Ultimate (as a measly JPEG), and was even planned for Brawl, so it feels like he's been owed a fighter slot for awhile now. To deny him that now would just feel awful.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I do remember seeing the thread discuss something like that a week ago but it was still tangentially related to Geno since he was in the image.

I dunno, this is nothing against the question you proposed to us since it was a really interesting one (I’d personally choose Isaac from the Binding of Isaac if he counts), but it is probably more of a question for a general discussion thread like the newcomer thread.

Oh, and hey something SMRPG/Geno related, I was looking through some scans of the Nintendo Power SMRPG Guidebook and I found some neat character overviews! I put them in the spoiler for anyone interested:

Glad I still have my Player’s Guide from Nintendo Power!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I think we're getting at least one more character in 2020 because, weirdly enough, November and December reveals are a very consistent thing going back to Melee. I do admit that I'm exhausted just because I'm been having little moments of vindication for the past month and I'm ready for the big payout. Having strong evidence that Geno was going to be an E3 reveal for most of this year is one thing but getting juked and finding out that he was likely supposed to be the closer is something else. If it wasn't for COVID, these announcements would have been 4 months ago and there's definitely a hard weariness that comes from that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think we're getting at least one more character in 2020 because, weirdly enough, November and December reveals are a very consistent thing going back to Melee. I do admit that I'm exhausted just because I'm been having little moments of vindication for the past month and I'm ready for the big payout. Having strong evidence that Geno was going to be an E3 reveal for most of this year is one thing but getting juked and finding out that he was likely supposed to be the closer is something else. If it wasn't for COVID, these announcements would have been 4 months ago and there's definitely a hard weariness that comes from that.
Yeah, this year has been rough, and I hope we do get some kind of payoff before too long

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
No matter what spot he’s in, Fighter 8, 9, 10 or 11, Geno will be playable in this game! Even if it means costume! There’s 4 spots left, you can’t tell me that Sakurai is just going to not give the Geno fans anything, we’re one of the longest old time fans.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I always thought that a promotional fighter is when the Smash Bros X “Insert fighter’s game logo” is the logo of the latest game, thats coming to switch, rather than the logo of the series in general.

For example, Byleth was “Smash Bros x Fire Emblem Three Houses” rather than “Smash Bros x Fire Emblem”, so I considered him/her as a promotional pick. Moreover, Hero was “Smash Bros x Dragon Quest XI S” so I also considered him as promotional pick.
That only applies to DQ11 Hero. The other three Heroes, especially DQ3 and DQ8 Heroes, were fan picks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No matter what spot he’s in, Fighter 8, 9, 10 or 11, Geno will be playable in this game! Even if it means costume! There’s 4 spots left, you can’t tell me that Sakurai is just going to not give the Geno fans anything, we’re one of the longest old time fans.
I do think he's 8 because now's it's kind of reached a boiling point. People have pushed hard doubt on Sora including Nomura himself, Imran Khan not so subtly implied that if Crash is coming it's not anytime soon, and they sure as hell wouldn't have done two Microsoft reps at one E3. If they planned to end E3 2020 with a big never-never like Ridley or Banjo, Geno's basically it at this point. It's also reached this point that Smash reveals will definitely continue on through E3 2021 so they have to save showstoppers for that too. Plus there's the whole 35th Mario anniversary thing too and it just all clicks to an infuriating degree.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I do think he's 8 because now's it's kind of reached a boiling point. People have pushed hard doubt on Sora including Nomura himself, Imran Khan not so subtly implied that if Crash is coming it's not anytime soon, and they sure as hell wouldn't have done two Microsoft reps at one E3. If they planned to end E3 2020 with a big never-never like Ridley or Banjo, Geno's basically it at this point. It's also reached this point that Smash reveals will definitely continue on through E3 2021 so they have to save showstoppers for that too. Plus there's the whole 35th Mario anniversary thing too and it just all clicks to an infuriating degree.
Not to mention that specific Mario 35th anniversary Smash tournament in November/December

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I believe in Sakurai. There’s no other man who would’ve had the b**** to push Smash Bros. to the level it is. There’s no one else who could’ve executed a concept like this but him. If anyone can bring Geno back to a game it’s him. He’s done everything for Square that they would want. Cloud and Hero are household names already, but Smash helped them make more money with those characters. With Fighter’s pass 2, Sakurai went to the Square negotiations table to get one more from them(probably the character that he wanted all along since), Geno. Going back to 1999, Sakurai was aware of how popular Geno and Mallow were if another Smash Bros game was going to be made, which became Melee.
Sakurai is on record in Nintendo Dream that he wanted Geno to be playable in Brawl! In 2015 we got our biggest victory ever, a playable Mii Fighter costume that was treated like a character reveal. And I can’t tell Sakurai how thankful I was for that, I still go back to Wii U for that. Final Fantasy is represented and so is Dragon Quest. Now it’s Geno’s turn. We also have a huge milestone called Mario’s 35th Anniversary going on. That’s why Spirits don’t deconfirm, why his costume is still absent when it could’ve been revealed with Hero etc.. Sakurai was keeping Geno available for when he got the ok.

No one understands his audience better than Sakurai, why? Because he created it. You’d be kidding yourself, if you thought the man didn’t understand what the fans want. If you look at the whole package of Ultimate, whether it’s stages like Fountain of Dreams or Fourside coming back, or finally making Ridley playable, he knew there were fans who missed those stages and he wanted to finally deliver Ridley to the Metroid fans after much scrutiny for years. He brought King K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie back to prominence, where they belong. And if you look at the way they were brought back in the DK Treehouse trailer, he understands the fans were going to go bananas when they saw them.

As far as Geno goes, yeah Sakurai is going to deliver.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Except last year. That was probably the most perfect time to reveal Byleth with Terry in November (reveal in November, release 2 months later for January like the other FP characters except Joker), the Game Awards in December (and already has an example with Joker), Ultimate's one year anniversary in December, fighter pass ending in February and six more fighters coming so you would think they would avoid stretching this out. But they not only didn't do anything in December, they went on complete radio silence for 2 months. Everything aligned for December and they skipped all of it.

Of course, this could be due to that damn virus or a part of it at least.

I'd like to have another reveal, just to know them, not even an immediate release. But with a year of knowing this pass and we only have 1/3 of the content (and the 2nd character isn't even released yet) revealed, I doubt we are getting anything until at least February.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So it sounds like Geno is next and Crash and Master Chief are perhaps the E3 reveals.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
The idea of Geno being a deluxe Mii Outfit has literally never made sense to me. Like, Sakurai knows how popular of a request Geno is and he has even commented on said popularity himself and he even said HIMSELF that he wants Geno in Smash. To make Geno a Mii Outfit again not only once, but TWICE kinda feels like a slap to the face to me. If Sakurai was able to get Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie, chances are he's gonna get Geno as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The idea of Geno being a deluxe Mii Outfit has literally never made sense to me. Like, Sakurai knows how popular of a request Geno is and he has even commented on said popularity himself and he even said HIMSELF that he wants Geno in Smash. To make Geno a Mii Outfit again not only once, but TWICE kinda feels like a slap to the face to me. If Sakurai was able to get Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie, chances are he's gonna get Geno as well.
We can only hope Square-Enix gave Sakurai the thumbs up for Geno since they're the only obstacle in Geno's way. If Geno doesn't make it in, it will be Square-Enix's fault. Nintendo could have a hand in potentially Geno not getting in as well, but I don't think they would ignore Geno since even Sakurai himself wanted the blue doll.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking about it now, it would be fitting for Geno to be the next character reveal as the last one for 2020 as a symbolic occurrence. The "never-ever", star(God)sent messenger that breathes life to a child's plaything; holding many's wishes, hopes, and dreams, come in at the close of the year as a sort of "savior" to all of this agonizing wait, and grievous time. A Christmas present that had been in the making for approximately 20 years. That would make for one helluva reveal.

Firox

Smash Master
We can only hope Square-Enix gave Sakurai the thumbs up for Geno since they're the only obstacle in Geno's way. If Geno doesn't make it in, it will be Square-Enix's fault. Nintendo could have a hand in potentially Geno not getting in as well, but I don't think they would ignore Geno since even Sakurai himself wanted the blue doll.
To be honest, I don't think SE would be the ones at fault if Geno doesn't get in. Think about it—what motive could they possibly have to DENY him? They already got FF and DQ represented in the world's largest video game cross-over ever. For what conceivable reason would they deny a paycheck from Nintendo for a character they literally never use and will likely never use again? On the flip side, there has only been 1 true example of a hard core fanpick out of BOTH fighter passes thus far (Banjo-Kazooie). Now, mind you, I know there already existed significant fan bases for each character, even Byleth, but I'm referring to characters that have long been demanded without an obvious strategic marketing advantage. B-K was a historically demanded character from a virtually dead franchise owned by a competitor. Geno falls into this exact same category. Now let's look at the pattern here:

Most of the DLC characters thus far have served 1 of 2 purposes:
1) Cater to outside fanbases to increase the install base of Smash at large (Joker, Hero, Terry, Steve)
2) Promote big money franchises or Nintendo's own IPs (Hero, Byleth, Min Min, Steve)

It's obviously too early in FP2 to know for sure, but if Nintendo keeps up the current trend, it would seem that pure fan demand outside of marketing strategy will be heavily limited. I'm guessing maybe 2 characters at most. Whether Nintendo decides that a deuteragonist from a dead Mario spin-off franchise would be profitable enough to warrant a fighter seems to be the biggest question here. Since Sakurai is adamant that Nintendo is the one making the calls for the DLC, I would have to conclude that Nintendo would be the one at fault if Geno gets the shaft.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So it sounds like Geno is next and Crash and Master Chief are perhaps the E3 reveals.
Probably. I kind of had a moment the other day when a lot of stuff clicked for me regarding Chief (and Crash to a smaller degree).

-Bingeing Simpsons: Tree House of Horror episodes, I realized that Halo and Crash Bandicoot are referenced several times in the series. May not seem like much but it made me realize that Halo and Crash are some of the few non -Nintendo franchises that have mainstream media presence.

-Was at Spirit Halloween in my town and in the video game section. The franchises represented by costumes? Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic, Pac-Man, Fortnite, Minecraft, Kingdom Hearts, and Halo and these were costumes for both kids and adults.

-Like I said back in July, the rumor is that Master Chief's trailer is supposed to be a capstone of sorts and highlight multiple big announcements. At first, I thought Chief was going to only be tied to one first party announcement but now I'm realizing it's probably two, with one of them always being planned as 2021 at the earliest. To support this, Chief was supposedly signed off to only be allowed to be depicted with certain characters and it's a very small list. With how Steve turned out, these weirdly specific rumors got a ton of backing. I don't know how the hell people got access to this kind of stuff but, then again, Microsoft kind of is terrible at keeping secrets too so...

-They say hindsight is 20/20 but Smash has basically been trying to outdue itself each year at E3 since 2013. The last Smash Ultimate E3 for God knows how long ending with Crash or Chief honestly makes sense. E3 is the Kingmaker. It's given us Bowser, Peach, Wario, Snake, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Ridley, Hero, Banjo, and now Steve so I honestly jumped the gun thinking Crash or Chief would be this year. Crash was literally Sony's mascot for three years and Chief is the face of Microsoft. Waiting until E3 2021 (the last E3 before Season 2 officially ends) to unveil them honestly makes sense.

It's just tiring because trying to figure out the timing for stuff is extremely difficult because you don't know how early information is. On the upside, a ton of 2018 stuff is coming to fruition in droves so by all logic Geno, Waluigi, Ryu, and Lloyd should all be approaching their respective moments of truth within 3-4 months. I say this because most of the stuff that has come true like Mario 3D World Deluxe, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Skyward Sword HD, etc were all like November/December 2018 rumors while Minecraft in Smash was summer 2018 so we're honestly reaching a critical point for most of these evergreen Smash rumors.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
It’s weird to think about, but this has been a surprisingly good year for Geno evidence. I mean, the Geno evidence stockpile is already reaching critical mass and something’s gotta give real soon here, but we still got a lot of stuff thrown at us that was in Geno’s favor this year.

Won’t be much longer now... He says, for the hundredth time this year... okay maybe i have no idea what’s happening, but i’m still hopeful dammit!
0D3B8C91-49BB-4510-87AB-CD3BA9C93411.jpeg

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just playing the indie game Mindseize on my Switch as I'm waiting for FP8's reveal at this point and hoping this is when Geno finally shows up

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
It’s weird to think about, but this has been a surprisingly good year for Geno evidence. I mean, the Geno evidence stockpile is already reaching critical mass and something’s gotta give real soon here, but we still got a lot of stuff thrown at us that was in Geno’s favor this year.

Won’t be much longer now... He says, for the hundredth time this year... okay maybe i have no idea what’s happening, but i’m still hopeful dammit!
View attachment 288985
Yes, that stockpile is overflowing. I’m imagining this stockpile is probably in Nintendo’s warehouse. Probably up on pallets.

May I ask TooManyToastahs why is Geno eating pancakes in your avatar?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I really hope Geno’s chances don’t turn out like the Grinch leak where there was a lot of good evidence and coincidences in its favor but ends up getting deconfirmed.
Somehow, even though this will sound pessimistic, that may be the case. Most of, if not, all this evidence has a chance of being all for nothing as equally as it has a chance of coming true.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
You know, instead of having Forest Maze or Bowser's Keep as the stage, Geno's stage could be a traveling stage which highlights some of the unique locations in the game like Forest Maze, Booster Tower, Bowser's Keep, Star Hill, Nimbus Land, Barrel Volcano ect? Would be a lot better than having one location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom