• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
On the topic of Mii Costumes, I almost forgot about this from last year
View attachment 288029
Assuming this is real, yeah there’s NO heckin way they would bring Geno’s costume back and then go the extra mile for Mallow and Smithy. Add Crono, Sephiroth and/or whoever the heck you want and this is literally Geno’s Mii Lineup.
On a side note, I’m not worried about tomorrow and I don’t think we will see Geno. I also think Lloyd is safe, it feels like there’s a lot in his favor. I’m expecting either Gil or the Monster Hunter costumes to return.
Edit: :ultgreninja:‘d with the Mii Costume Guy
I believe this list is real as how the hell can you have guessed Goemon and Rocket Grunt correctly unless you had inside knowledge. Those costumes were so out of leftfield that it would seem impossible to predict them. I believe the Mallow and Smithy costumes are inevitable and they will be in Geno's pack.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
My last post seemed to bring up some decent discussion, so let me elaborate further on my thoughts.

Min Min is our Byleth because, obviously, this is our 1st party character used to bring more attention to a Nintendo series/a promotional pick.

Comparing Steve to Joker might seem weird, but I think the comparison is somewhat fitting because both are pretty unexpected third parties who seemed largely unlikely for one reason or another. Yes I know Persona is in no way comparable to Minecraft, but despite Steve/another Microsoft character making a lot of sense when sitting down to hash it out, Steve wasn't leaked basically at all. Similar to Joker, Steve came out of left field and there no smoke or paper trail leading us to any of them. As such, both characters got a very visceral reaction (I'd argue both characters had mostly good reactions in the grand scheme of things).

I'd say if Lloyd got in he'd be comparable to Terry because while he isn't the two aren't the most popular in the west, they are popular in other regions of the world and their franchises are quite popular in other places of the world. Both Lloyd and Terry both are kind of legacy characters that are pretty big franchise wise in actuality. Although... since Lloyd has actually been a long-time request in the hardcore Smash fanbase... maybe Ryu Hayabusa would fit the Terry description better since both have a legacy but both weren't requested by the hard-core Smash fanbase too much? Hmm...

Hero is tricker to pin down, though I suppose Lloyd would make sense here since the Tales of series is most popular in Japan. I suppose the only difference between the two characters (aside from Dragon Quest being bigger than Tales of), is that Lloyd has been a request worldwide in the hardcore Smash fanbase, whereas Hero was mainly requested in Japan.

Geno would obviously be comparable to Banjo & Kazooie. I don't think I have to explain why, but obviously Geno would be the more "irrelevant" character pick that is chosen because the Smash community wanted them so badly (and/or maybe because there are upcoming projects for both of the aforementioned characters👀). Regardless, Geno is the pick that directly appeals to the Smash fanbase.

As for the final character, for me personally, I'm not gonna expect the moon. Smash has historically never ended on blow your pants off reveals, so it beats me. I have no clue what the order of announcements will be, but I would be shocked if we didn't get another first party Nintendo character at some point. As an aside, I'm honestly glad Steve was Fighter #7 because after the long drought I wanted a huge character that everyone in the gaming community knew so then Smash would be buzzing again. Like let's be honest, Geno wouldn't have done that. Hell, I want characters like Bandana Dee, Rex & Pyra, Dixie Kong, and Travis Touchdown, but those characters sure as well wouldn't have done that either. They're big to the hardcore Smash fanbase, but they're not as wide reaching. I was hoping there would be a huge, WTF left hook like Joker, and I was certainly happy to see Nintendo come through. Even if Steve wasn't my first choice, I still grew up with Minecraft so I suppose I have a soft spot for it. Plus, Minecraft's impact and legacy is undeniable so I think Steve fits well. Sure he looks pretty weird, but I sort of view him as a 3D Mr. Game & Watch. I wouldn't want a bunch of characters who looked weird like them, but I'm happy having a few weirdos like them!

domriver

Smash Lord
On the topic of Mii Costumes, I almost forgot about this from last year
View attachment 288029
Assuming this is real, yeah there’s NO heckin way they would bring Geno’s costume back and then go the extra mile for Mallow and Smithy. Add Crono, Sephiroth and/or whoever the heck you want and this is literally Geno’s Mii Lineup.
On a side note, I’m not worried about tomorrow and I don’t think we will see Geno. I also think Lloyd is safe, it feels like there’s a lot in his favor. I’m expecting either Gil or the Monster Hunter costumes to return.
Edit: :ultgreninja:‘d with the Mii Costume Guy
You know im curious who is going to get the Deluxe Mii Costume this time around. hmmmmmm
We have seen
Goemon
Zero
Protoman
Rocket Grunt

For Geno's mii costume lineup i see
Mallow
Smithy
Chocobo
?????
?????
?????

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think Min-Min was our Joker, of a recent game that was overlooked for Smash. I think our “shill pick” is yet to come especially since DLC runs until the end of 2021. I doubt Sakurai would pass up on the possibility of bringing in a fighter from a game that will be big that year.

That leaves Steve as our Hero. The blank slate protagonist with alts up the wazoo from a series that is amazingly popular and weirdly missing from Smash with a more gimmicky style.

Of course, Geno would be the Banjo for reasons mentioned. Popular, old, a bit simpler in set probably, ballot influenced, company that double dips blahblahblah you got the drill.

I think Terry as a concept is more geared towards the company rather than the series or fighter itself, which makes me think “Koei Tecmo” coming in hot with the Ryu Hayabusa but with remixes and songs from Dynasty Warriors (or vice versa if you want to be controversial) and other Koei Tecmo series. Of course, this could also apply to either Namco’s Lloyd or Capcom‘s Dante if you want it to fit some of the theories floated here but considering how Steve was like, so leaked that it became left field in a time travelly way I think I can be excused from straying from “Names floating around” with a slice of Mii Costume theorizing especially when Koei was one of those weirdly persistent FP1 rumours.

Then either Crash or the other part of Lloyd/Dante can be the character that doesn’t have a counterpart because yknow extra challenger pack. Mii Costume says Lloyd but it depends on how much the name Dante is singing around in the Higher World of Leaks. Could also be a “Joker” as in a modern icon of a genre but there seem to be more names floating around than actual slots so I’m keeping it leak-proof.
I expect to end on a Bylethy pick again though since Smash 4’s DLC ended with a “new game“ slot and we have more than a year left to the FP2 deadline, with possibly big games in the pipeline or having released by then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not confident in another Nintendo rep for this pass to be honest. After Steve and FP8 potentially being Geno combined with the strong amount of rumors to Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash and Dante, that's more than enough for the rest of the Fighter Pass

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm not confident in another Nintendo rep for this pass to be honest. After Steve and FP8 potentially being Geno combined with the strong amount of rumors to Lloyd, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash and Dante, that's more than enough for the rest of the Fighter Pass
Okay but before yesterday the rumours for Ryu weren’t brought up all that much and Steve, despite a five year-old idea, came out of some sort of left field regardless of that. I’m not saying leaks are wrong per se but things....change (they just boomeranged when it came to Steve) and as of right now, there is already more rumoured characters than slots, even before either Min Min and Steve appeared.
I’m trusting my feelings more than rumours when it comes to the final slot, the other three slots can be all the Genos and Dantes you like.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Frankly, I don't really feel super confident in any single character anymore. For any of the "popular" picks, I can think of many reasons why they may not get in.
Like even for Geno and Lloyd, 2 characters I felt very confident about at first; I'm not entirely sure they will be present anymore.

Geno would be the clear pick if considering fan demand for a Square rep in the West; but in Japan both FF7R and 2B are far ahead in terms of demand. Chrono Trigger was ranked as the best game of the entire last era in a big Famitsu poll (the magazine where Sakurai publishes his columns/interviews), meaning that getting CT in Smash would also be huge there. And then you have to consider Bravely Default 2 coming out soon, and Square trying to push the series. And if the rumors of Sora being negotiated for but failing are true, then suddenly Neku gets a huge boost due to KH/Nomura connections + upcoming anime and likely sequels.

And then for Lloyd, I brought up the same point in his favor against JudgeHeihachi (Lloyd isn't featured in the roulette). But Judge told me that's because all of the roulette stuff is already existing assets from Namco (Lloyd doesn't have that same kind of sprite, I think). And then Lloyd/Tales of isn't as heavily requested in terms of Smash in Japan. Not to mention the Yuri rumors also come back if we look at characters that suddenly stopped being heard. THough I think neither is happening.

I'm going to just predict that we're getting at least 1 more first party character, whoever it ends up being; and that's it. At this point I'm mostly in it for the ride and listening to and making up theories.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Actually, for Geno's Mii Costume Wave I'd love to see the following:
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Mallow Hat
  • Smithy set (Hat and Costume)
  • Moogle (Hat and Costume) (Kupo!)
  • Black Mage (Hat and Costume)
Other possible Mii Costume to represent other Square Enix franchises could be:
  • Crono (Hair and Costume) from Chrono Trigger
  • Cecil Harvey (Paladin Hair and Costume) from FF IV
  • Maxim (from the original Lufia II on the SNES; hair and costume)
  • the Hero from Secret of Mana (hair and costume)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I hate that every Mii Costume wave since Terry's has got me sweating bullets. They're an opportunity for smaller and less likely characters like Goemon, the Rocket Grunts, the other Mega Men, and secondary characters like Veronica and Ninjara to make it into Smash in some form... and yet at the same time, they're also the part where fan favorites and huge requests potentially get the boot, which makes them way more intense and scary than they should be.

Whether Cacomallow lives or dies tomorrow, or if some other costume like Joanna Dark pops up that confirms other leaks, I just hope that we don't get another "Your most wanted is deconfirmed!" costume like Lloyd or Master Chief.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I hate that every Mii Costume wave since Terry's has got me sweating bullets. They're an opportunity for smaller and less likely characters like Goemon, the Rocket Grunts, the other Mega Men, and secondary characters like Veronica and Ninjara to make it into Smash in some form... and yet at the same time, they're also the part where fan favorites and huge requests potentially get the boot, which makes them way more intense and scary than they should be.

Whether Cacomallow lives or dies tomorrow, or if some other costume like Joanna Dark pops up that confirms other leaks, I just hope that we don't get another "Your most wanted is deconfirmed!" costume like Lloyd or Master Chief.
I see Lloyd, Hunter and Geno all have plenty of fans asking for a playable rep, one of them will likely get the boot tomorrow; if the posts are hinting at anything. That is unless, we end up with 5-6 completely new costumes; which is unheard of at this point. Maybe 5 new costumes with Gil is possible, but I really do think we'll end up with 4 + 2 returning. So it'll be weird to see which one of the big 3 missing costumes that people want promoted will get deconfirmed next.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I see Lloyd, Hunter and Geno all have plenty of fans asking for a playable rep, one of them will likely get the boot tomorrow; if the posts are hinting at anything. That is unless, we end up with 5-6 completely new costumes; which is unheard of at this point. Maybe 5 new costumes with Gil is possible, but I really do think we'll end up with 4 + 2 returning. So it'll be weird to see which one of the big 3 missing costumes that people want promoted will get deconfirmed next.
Geno and the Chocobo hat won't be seen in a Microsoft presentation. Square content only appears with Square owned characters. My personal guess on the matter is going by how Banjo's mii fighter costume wave was largely a grab bag, the Steve wave will be similar in that regard as well and most likely will be the Monster Hunter costumes or Gil.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If we end up seeing a returning Smash 4 Mii costume tomorrow, my bet would be on the two Monster Hunter costumes, since that series has a similar motif of gathering materials to craft weapons and armor.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If we end up seeing a returning Smash 4 Mii costume tomorrow, my bet would be on the two Monster Hunter costumes, since that series has a similar motif of gathering materials to craft weapons and armor.
Yeah, I can see that. The thing is that I see someone like a new Capcom rep as pretty likely, even if it isn't MH itself; so I think they would want to save MH costumes for that rather than Steve.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I'm not super worried about it just because Ultimate hasn't killed any big favorites with Mii costumes outside of the base roster. With Smash 4, literally all 6 Mii costume waves had at least one big fan favorite that bit the dust but with Ultimate the only characters that have gotten the treatment in DLC have been top 25-50 characters (if that). Ultimate has been a lot more mindful while Smash 4 was kill shooting Top 10 non-veteran picks left and right.

While we're on this topic, might as well get my more controversial opinions about the last day out of the way:

-Imran Khan's statement on Wednesday about purely promotional characters not happening seems to ring true if we have characters being picked years in advance. On this note...

-Pretty sure a Gen 8 Pokemon is dead at this point. I already made this argument ages ago but Inceniroar was chosen in 2015, a full year before Sun and Moon came out, and Ultimate wasn't even a thing until 2018. Fast forward 5 years and Gen 8 came out last year and its DLC is wrapping up presumably later this month. It's pretty clear they plan pretty far ahead with this stuff so if Gen 8 wasn't in base or the Fighter's Pass, I think we've passed the last checkpoint of it happening, nevermind everything else going against.

-If characters are picked and planned out years in advance, same game Mii costume promotions are looking a lot less likely, especially if they were DLC. Characters like Rex, Isaac, and Skull Kid are obviously the hardest pills to swallow for this but it's one of those things that begrudgingly makes sense. If characters were being picked as far back as 2015, why would they make characters that would eventually be playable Mii costumes? This is especially in your face if you consider how Geno could have simply come with Hero or Steve with Banjo because those Mii costumes sales would have still made bank despite people's disappointment.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I think Terry as a concept is more geared towards the company rather than the series or fighter itself, which makes me think “Koei Tecmo” coming in hot with the Ryu Hayabusa but with remixes and songs from Dynasty Warriors (or vice versa if you want to be controversial) and other Koei Tecmo series. Of course, this could also apply to either Namco’s Lloyd or Capcom‘s Dante if you want it to fit some of the theories floated here but considering how Steve was like, so leaked that it became left field in a time travelly way I think I can be excused from straying from “Names floating around” with a slice of Mii Costume theorizing especially when Koei was one of those weirdly persistent FP1 rumours.
While i never was a fan of theories of having FP2 characters "rhyme" with FP1, this theory of Ryu Hayabusa beign Mr Koei Tecmo makes complete sense, as he has notable appereances in each one of the the company's 3 biggest franchises.
I'm not super worried about it just because Ultimate hasn't killed any big favorites with Mii costumes outside of the base roster. With Smash 4, literally all 6 Mii costume waves had at least one big fan favorite that bit the dust but with Ultimate the only characters that have gotten the treatment in DLC have been top 25-50 characters (if that). Ultimate has been a lot more mindful while Smash 4 was kill shooting Top 10 non-veteran picks left and right.

While we're on this topic, might as well get my more controversial opinions about the last day out of the way:

-Imran Khan's statement on Wednesday about purely promotional characters not happening seems to ring true if we have characters being picked years in advance. On this note...

-Pretty sure a Gen 8 Pokemon is dead at this point. I already made this argument ages ago but Inceniroar was chosen in 2015, a full year before Sun and Moon came out, and Ultimate wasn't even a thing until 2018. Fast forward 5 years and Gen 8 came out last year and its DLC is wrapping up presumably later this month. It's pretty clear they plan pretty far ahead with this stuff so if Gen 8 wasn't in base or the Fighter's Pass, I think we've passed the last checkpoint of it happening, nevermind everything else going against.

-If characters are picked and planned out years in advance, same game Mii costume promotions are looking a lot less likely, especially if they were DLC. Characters like Rex, Isaac, and Skull Kid are obviously the hardest pills to swallow for this but it's one of those things that begrudgingly makes sense. If characters were being picked as far back as 2015, why would they make characters that would eventually be playable Mii costumes? This is especially in your face if you consider how Geno could have simply come with Hero or Steve with Banjo because those Mii costumes sales would have still made bank despite people's disappointment.
Is it fair to think another Spirit Promotion outside of Geno might happen? I kinda hope for another first party, and if promotional picks are out then i only see Bandanna Dee and Dixie if im optimistic.

Last edited:

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
the main thing keeping me from falling into "genos gonna be a mii costume again" despair is the music takedowns tbh. it lines up too well with squares history of only allowing 2 songs per game and repackaging an old costume as a "deluxe" costume seems scummy. they could always alter it so the hat covers the whole face like the other costumes but i dont think itd work as well with geno as it does with sans cuphead and vault boy. then again given nintendos latest shenanigans them being completely tone deaf to what would upset fans isnt out of the question lol
im just hoping i dont have to cry myself to sleep tomorrow because ive been sleeping badly for the past week haaaaaaaa :geno:

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
the main thing keeping me from falling into "genos gonna be a mii costume again" despair is the music takedowns tbh. it lines up too well with squares history of only allowing 2 songs per game and repackaging an old costume as a "deluxe" costume seems scummy. they could always alter it so the hat covers the whole face like the other costumes but i dont think itd work as well with geno as it does with sans cuphead and vault boy. then again given nintendos latest shenanigans them being completely tone deaf to what would upset fans isnt out of the question lol
im just hoping i dont have to cry myself to sleep tomorrow because ive been sleeping badly for the past week haaaaaaaa :geno:
also im almost dead certain the big mii costume reveal tomorrow is freddy. i have no sources to go off of but i believe in my truth

LunarisDreams

Smash Cadet
I’m of the train of thought that Steve/Geno were meant to be the E3 reveals. All that teasing from insiders regarding Geno during July before what was thought to be a big direct, was imo no coincidence.

And the whole gamestop fiasco seems really, really suspect in hindsight, especially considering the timing. Don’t throw in the towel just yet genobros, he’s looking extremely likely.

Remember, where there’s smoke, there’s fire:geno::starman:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I believe Geno's pack will include this Mii costume wave:

Mallow
Smithy
Geno (Because I believe his costume will return alongside him.)
2B (Because of Fatman's sources and being a Square-Enix character.)
Sephiroth

As for what we will see in Steve's pack on Saturday I expect:

Joanna Dark (Because of Fatman's sources and Joanna being a Microsoft/Rare character.)
Cadence (Same reason above plus her being a Indie character which Steve use to be.)
Creeper
Ender Dragon

That's what I expect from Steve and Geno's packs.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
That's another thing to look out for: Deluxe Mii costumes, and how many songs they come with. If we end up getting something like "Ryu Hayabusa, with Rugged Terrain AND Unbreakable Determination", that's gonna suck because then the two music takedowns won't mean anything in regards to Geno being playable.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it fair to think another Spirit Promotion outside of Geno might happen? I kinda hope for another first party, and if promotional picks are out then i only see Bandanna Dee and Dixie if im optimistic.
I think we're getting at least one, probably two, aside from Geno. The only thing that Steve's reveal did was hard jumble my (funbles) concept of bonus characters. My original thought was that bonus characters would be a la carte characters like Plant but now I think it might be circumstancial. If I were to revise my thoughts on the four I had (Waluigi, Dixie, Medusa, and Lolo), I would probably nuke Medusa and put Lolo in the fridge for now.

1. Waluigi: again, heard since 2018 by pretty much everybody that has some sort of connection to this stuff. Something's definitely up with him.

2. Dixie: I didn't start to seriously consider Dixie until the DK evidence started pouring in this summer and then DKC got that massive 48 item trademark update in September. Even before that, it was pretty apparent that Nintendo had big plans for the series but now it's even stronger.

3. Master Chief: Something's definitely up with him. Let's just say that there's some really substantial things about him behind the scenes that people have come across through, er, "unconventional" ways. Too many in my own circle with collaborating stories for me to ignore it.

4. Ryu/Crash/Dante: I feel like one of these guys was meant for Season 2, one's a bonus, and one is probably a Mii costume. It's a weird situation. On my end, Crash and Dante have a lot in their respective corners and coincidentally both didn't become serious Smash topics in insider circles until around the summer of 2019, suggesting being very late in Season 2 if they were happening anyways. Ryu's... Ryu. Same story I've been telling since January 2019. Literally the only Koei Tecmo content ever brought up in my entire time doing this and yet it's pretty clear something is up with him.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Oh, so mii costume time? A Creeper Hat is a Shoe In (I even was suprised when the MC series logo was a generic cube instead of a creeper face), another MC could happen (Maybe a Diamond armor), Johana for Mii Costume list (I can even see other Rare characters like Conker), hopefully a Cacodemon which seems like the photo (That would actually confirm Geno), that PuyoPuyo tweet was too weird, I can see a Arle Brawler. I think the Deluxe will be Ori. I don't expect neither Smash 4 costumes or Master Chief

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think we're getting at least one, probably two, aside from Geno. The only thing that Steve's reveal did was hard jumble my (funbles) concept of bonus characters. My original thought was that bonus characters would be a la carte characters like Plant but now I think it might be circumstancial. If I were to revise my thoughts on the four I had (Waluigi, Dixie, Medusa, and Lolo), I would probably nuke Medusa and put Lolo in the fridge for now.

1. Waluigi: again, heard since 2018 by pretty much everybody that has some sort of connection to this stuff. Something's definitely up with him.

2. Dixie: I didn't start to seriously consider Dixie until the DK evidence started pouring in this summer and then DKC got that massive 48 item trademark update in September. Even before that, it was pretty apparent that Nintendo had big plans for the series but now it's even stronger.

3. Master Chief: Something's definitely up with him. Let's just say that there's some really substantial things about him behind the scenes that people have come across through, er, "unconventional" ways. Too many in my own circle with collaborating stories for me to ignore it.

4. Ryu/Crash/Dante: I feel like one of these guys was meant for Season 2, one's a bonus, and one is probably a Mii costume. It's a weird situation. On my end, Crash and Dante have a lot in their respective corners and coincidentally both didn't become serious Smash topics in insider circles until around the summer of 2019, suggesting being very late in Season 2 if they were happening anyways. Ryu's... Ryu. Same story I've been telling since January 2019. Literally the only Koei Tecmo content ever brought up in my entire time doing this and yet it's pretty clear something is up with him.
I don't think we're getting Waluigi, especially if they don't promote a mii costume in the same game. I think AT's are step further than mii costumes, in terms of how far gone they are already. So I think we'll have to wait till the next Smash game for Waluigi.

I can't see Dixie happening, I'd give it to Bandana Dee if we are talking about a character with a similar premise. I think it was either K. Rool OR Dixie for Sakurai and Sakurai chose K. Rool. There are rumors that the next Kirby game is going to be big and Nintendo may want to advertise it. Bandana Dee's future in Kirby is pretty safe, where I can't really say if Dixie will rise or lower in prominence in future DK games.

And yeah, I think there's probably more than meets the eye with Master Chief.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think things and concepts can also be like...scrapped. Steve miraculously loop-de-looped itself into the game but if you’re at the point you hear evidence for more characters than there are Challenger Pack’s something’s off and the whispers might not pan out.

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
Why do I have an unsettling feeling Crash might end up being a MII outfit despite him being a good choice.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Had an ultra busy day, wasn't able to get on until now and oh God there's already 10 more pages.

Have there been any good theories or insider shenanigans that could give us a hint on what's next?
The only relevant thing was that Vergeben confirmed Nintendo and Koei Tecmo negotiated about Smash. He says that seeing stuff like Hyrule Warriors, HW: The Age Of The Calamity, Fire Emblem Warriors and the leaked Ninja Gaiden collection for Switch and PS4 in March he doubts it means nothing. So Hayabusa's chances are good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom