• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
is it possible to go past that?
Currently no. Once the CSS is filled up, academically speaking, the game hard ****s its pants and dies (in layman terms: the game softlocks and crashes). I want to say that's the hardware limitation for the game and there's not a lot out there suggesting the developers are willing to work around that currently.

D

Deleted member

There's only room for 4 characters left in the game's code after Season 2 and, given the 16 dummyslots were found before Plant even released, this could have been the plan all along. It's hard to say because, like I've been screeching about most of this year, there's good evidence out there that they're working on stuff outside of Season 2 but we don't have clear parameters of what.
I like you, but I honestly believe we aren't getting bonus characters. FP2 IS the bonus characters. They weren't going to do another Fighter's Pass originally. That's why there's a lower budget this time around, probably because Nintendo knew the demand but didn't want to go all the way like they did with FP1 (must be expensive for DLC of a game that's nearly three years old at this point)

FP2 seems pretty definitive to me. It is the bonus on top of the original plans that were base game + FP1. I know Sakurai has said "this is the last character/pass" yadda yadda several times, but he genuinely means it this time around. Getting bonus characters will pretty much be a bonus of a bonus.

That's why I'm really skeptical on the "bonus characters" idea. From everything I've seen, FP2 are the "bonus characters" we've been clambering for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Currently no. Once the CSS is filled up, academically speaking, the game hard ****s its pants and dies (in layman terms: the game softlocks and crashes). I want to say that's the hardware limitation for the game and there's not a lot out there suggesting the developers are willing to work around that currently.
They can probably add more CSS but there are only 4 extra ones set in the data. Also speaking of data mining, has there been anything new found in the code for Ultimate?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like you, but I honestly believe we aren't getting bonus characters. FP2 IS the bonus characters. They weren't going to do another Fighter's Pass originally. That's why there's a lower budget this time around, probably because Nintendo knew the demand but didn't want to go all the way like they did with FP1 (must be expensive for DLC of a game that's nearly three years old at this point)

FP2 seems pretty definitive to me. It is the bonus on top of the original plans that were base game + FP1. I know Sakurai has said "this is the last character/pass" yadda yadda several times, but he genuinely means it this time around. Getting bonus characters will pretty much be a bonus of a bonus.

That's why I'm really skeptical on the "bonus characters" idea. From everything I've seen, FP2 are the "bonus characters" we've been clambering for.
I've been calling them bonus characters because it's hard to define. When I say "bonus" I'm basically saying "stuff outside the Season 2 packs." Remember how in November/December there was so much confusion on 6 because people couldn't get a straight on whether 6 was supposed to be an ala carte character like Plant or a full pack? It's the same situation. For example, stages and music almost never come up with characters and Mii Costume Guy is the only insider that's been able to get consistent info on Mii costumes. That's a big reason why it's so hard to pin down. Along with that, there's been two big game changers that have totally changed how we speculate:

-Major companies can get things like Mii costumes and spirits as DLC but this doesn't mean they'll get a DLC characters (learned with Pack 5).

-Stuff can be worked on literally years in advance but not added until "the right time." (Learned with Pack 7).

This said, we're now in this weird place of knowing even stuff from 2018 is relevant but we don't know when it will happen, if at all.

Firox

Smash Master
Never posted my thoughts on Steve. He was actually one of only 3 characters I specifically didn't want in smash. When I saw the splash screen, I was incredibly dissapointed, but after seeing the gameplay, he ended up winning me over. The crafting mechanic looks super unique, the music was awesome, and a Minecraft stage is actually the Minecraft content I actively wanted, so that part was always going to be hype for me.

Only downside is that he's 100% going to be banned from all competitive tournaments because his gimmick is turning legal stages into illegal stages, but I don't play those tournaments so I don't really care.

In short, I was wrong for being a detractor (though I never harrassed his supporters I was silently 100% against him)

Congratulations @TheCJBrine I know you were a huge supporter! How does it feel to have both Banjo and Steve in after having to watch their fanbases fight each other? Must be super nice!
As someone who actually DOES play competitively, I'm really not looking forward to the shenanigans that Steve will bring with him. He'll be great in FFA's with friends though.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
As someone who actually DOES play competitively, I'm really not looking forward to the shenanigans that Steve will bring with him. He'll be great in FFA's with friends though.
i do have to wonder, if steve doesn't get banned, would stages with walls become leagal? the main argument against them could be killed by simply saying that steve can do the same thing

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Based on how long Steve has been in development does anyone else wonder that the weird number of characters in the 2nd pass (6 instead of a clean 5) is because the "leftovers" had to be saved because of development hiccups? If that's the case I could totally see all these characters that were rumored to show up earlier like Ryu Hayubusa showing up too

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The walls seem to start to deteriorate within seconds, at least as shown in the reveal trailer. Now, we didn't see what happens or how they break yet, but my guess is they're short lasting. They might be good for edge guarding shenanigans, but I don't really think he'll end up ban worthy. We'll know more for sure tomorrow, but I'm not expecting the blocks to be game breaking, ban worthy things yet. (I also play somewhat competetively, though I'd be lying if I said I thought I was that good.)

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna go doom and gloom immediately but the building mechanic was the very reason I was not a supporter of Steve, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic of his (not excessive) potential for shenanigans.

Makes you wonder how much of a gimmick Geno could get stapled to him given precedent. I just hope not every single attack is a timed hit or something silly ike that.

D

Deleted member

as someone who also plays competitively, I know exactly 0 people are gonna play Steve past the first month of him being out where they can win a local online weekly for free because the people who show up refuse to learn the matchup. He's going to be a rare sight played by people who have no concept of neutral and will get absolutely ****ed past the first or second round when someone just switches over to a rushdown or a character with meaty hitboxes and just never let him dig or probably even land, since the trailer made him look like a fastfaller with probably the second worst jump in the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Because nobody asked, I decided to look into it and for Ultimate, Amiibo release dates are pretty consistent, being two month gaps except in the event of significant delays:

Basically it's gone:

December - February - April - July (Hero was delayed a month for unknown reasons) - September - November - January - June (Min Min was delayed two months for balancing) - September.

This suggests the next Amiibo wave should be November because things are back on schedule. More evidence added to this is that the Breath of the Wild Amiibo rereleases are scheduled for November 20th meaning there's a good chance the Smash Amiibo wave will either fall on this date or a week before, going off past precedent.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna go doom and gloom immediately but the building mechanic was the very reason I was not a supporter of Steve, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic of his (not excessive) potential for shenanigans.

Makes you wonder how much of a gimmick Geno could get stapled to him given precedent. I just hope not every single attack is a timed hit or something silly ike that.
the problem with timed hits, is you just tell your opponent when to time their dodge. competitive geno with timed hits would be forced to mistime every hit, just to land any damage

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

I hope Geno isn't too gimmicky. I love the more simple characters like the ones from the first three games. Then they started to add gimmicky characters like Rosalina, Shulk, Bayonetta, Joker, and now Steve. Fun to try out once or twice, but then I never use them again. I guess I'm just a boomer.

Some people hate on Banjo for having a simple moveset, but that's why I love him. He feels like a 64/Melee era character. He's one of my new mains along with K Rool.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Because nobody asked, I decided to look into it and for Ultimate, Amiibo release dates are pretty consistent, being two month gaps except in the event of significant delays:

Basically it's gone:

December - February - April - July (Hero was delayed a month for unknown reasons) - September - November - January - June (Min Min was delayed two months for balancing) - September.

This suggests the next Amiibo wave should be November because things are back on schedule. More evidence added to this is that the Breath of the Wild Amiibo rereleases are scheduled for November 20th meaning there's a good chance the Smash Amiibo wave will either fall on this date or a week before, going off past precedent.
Let's hope you're right on the money for tomorrow's presentation

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Going forward, I'm personally not going to pin any hope on any more coincidences or hint hints. I'll just wait to see what official word says about Smash stuff.

Various 'in the know' or potential information receiving folks randomly tweeted or referenced Geno around the same time. Nothing came about from that.

Both Mario series and Cloud amiibos received reprints right when Hero's amiibo came out. Nothing came about from that.

I'm sure there's other instances where the general air in Smash speculation was potentially hinting or pointing to something only for it to mean nothing. I'm done with coyness from speculation.

I'm just going to wait for official updates from Sakurai and Nintendo. If I see that there's strange coincidences like all of a series is having their amiibos reprinted and released on the same day as a character reveal, or a company retweets a Nintendo presentation or insiders randomly bring up material for a character that was completely different from their usual actions, I will just look at it, go 'That's nice' and then ignore it.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
so does this mean Fighter 8 in November......?

Basically it's gone:

D

Deleted member

I hope Geno isn't too gimmicky. I love the more simple characters like the ones from the first three games. Then they started to add gimmicky characters like Rosalina, Shulk, Bayonetta, Joker, and now Steve. Fun to try out once or twice, but then I never use them again. I guess I'm just a boomer.

Some people hate on Banjo for having a simple moveset, but that's why I love him. He feels like a 64/Melee era character. He's one of my new mains along with K Rool.
Yeah, I've been turned off by the complex DLC characters. Tried Min Min, Joker, Hero, all of them just didn't feel right to me. Joker was a lot easier though to play than Hero and Min Min, Min Min is pretty much unplayable for me and I'm sad because I was looking forward to her.

That's why I like playing as Byleth. They're easy to understand, and easy to play. Lucas has a similar feeling to me. It's hard to describe, but I don't feel like I'm wrestling with their playstyle. I keep things close quarters, so Byleth fits me perfectly.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Basically it's gone:

Ok, maybe this will happen:
  • "Mr. Sakurai Presents Steve and Alex" tomorrow, some rumored mii costumes like Arle (As Papa just explained), Kris, The Knight, Cacomedon or Johana Dark are revealed. He is a shadowdrop and we are getting Terry and Banjo amiibos in early November
  • " Mr. Sakurai Presents ??? 3" in Early November
  • It's Geno and he is just in time for the Mario Tournament

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I still think after yesterday’s reveal a level 5 rep and Geno are inevitable. That’s how confident I am of Geno and level 5

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
Ok, maybe this will happen:
  • "Mr. Sakurai Presents Steve and Alex" tomorrow, some rumored mii costumes like Arle (As Papa just explained), Kris, The Knight, Cacomedon or Johana Dark are revealed. He is a shadowdrop and we are getting Terry and Banjo amiibos in early November
  • " Mr. Sakurai Presents ??? 3" in Early November
  • It's Geno and he is just in time for the Mario Tournament
ya know something? if something DOES get revealed early november or so. and then released a couple weeks later. and then something gets announced at TGA's but gets released in early 2021 (probably January). we'd still have 2 reveals left. which could be handled at either e3 2021 or earlier that year.

the pass is supposed to end by 2021 of decemeber 31st, so it is possible it could end before then in that kinda format

however, this is really only wishful thinking. i don't think they'd do that, but it would be interesting if it was

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Also, another reason for not expecting the Geno costume tomorrow, a lot of the characters (except for Banjo and Byleth) bring with them Mii costumes that are related to their series or are franchises from the same company the character came from. Example: Terry's Mii costumes had characters from fighting games like Jacky, Akira, and had characters from their series, Nakoruru, Ryo, etc. We can pretty much expect the same for Steve.

D

Deleted member

Also, another reason for not expecting the Geno costume tomorrow, a lot of the characters (except for Banjo and Byleth) bring with them Mii costumes that are related to their series or are franchises from the same company the character came from. Example: Terry's Mii costumes had characters from fighting games like Jacky, Akira, and had characters from their series, Nakoruru, Ryo, etc. We can pretty much expect the same for Steve.
That and we could use some of Mii costume guy’s costumes to show up tomorrow for more credibility for the Mallow, Smithy, and 2B costumes for Geno. Joanna Dark is my best bet for showing up tomorrow.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
That and we could use some of Mii costume guy’s costumes to show up tomorrow for more credibility for the Mallow, Smithy, and 2B costumes for Geno. Joanna Dark is my best bet for showing up tomorrow.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Mii Costume guy the person who gave Fatmanonice a list of Mii costumes for future fighters?

Heoj

Smash Ace
Its like, im pretty calm now, but i can tell that by the time the presentation starts, my heart is gonna be beating like a rock concert praying we see a cacodemon and not geno. If we see nothing that benefits geno, we are gonna be stuck for a long while, hopefully until mid november for 8's reveal

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Papagenos talks about how given it took five years for Steve to be in Smash on the possibility of Cacomallow being possibility real and being perhaps shown tomorrow.
With Bethesda now being owned by Microsoft, I think it's definitely possible we could see that Cacodemon hat tomorrow alongside Steve.

Man tomorrow is gonna be a doozy, isn't it :crazy:
Well, at ~45 minutes in length, I totally agree that we're in for something crazy tomorrow, if only due to how crazy complex Steve will likely turn out to be.

Heoj

Smash Ace
With Bethesda now being owned by Microsoft, I think it's definitely possible we could see that Cacodemon hat tomorrow alongside Steve.
Its also interesting to think about how the bethesda microsoft deal couldnt have been a quick drive-by-the-candy-store sort of deal, it was probably filled with negotiations and discussions lasting well over a year, since well, look at how long it took for steve to make it. Since Nintendo and Microsoft are such good buds, its pretty likely that while Nintendo and microsoft were discussing future collaborations, microsoft probably informed Nintendo about the whole bethesda thing and as a result, nintendo managed to get their hands on fallout content as well as possibly doom content, a.k.a maybe that cacodemon

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
From what we were shown in his trailer, Steve looks pretty damn complex, so it might just take a long while for Sakurai to explain it all. Or maybe he wants to show us his Minecraft worlds? Either or seem likely.
True, that slipped my mind forgetting how variable he is in moveset.

Heoj

Smash Ace
45 minutes eh? Expect Sakurai to do another classic mode playthrough then.
Imma be honest, i really dont like it when sakurai plays through the whole classic mode with a new character, like dont get me wrong, the more time sakurai is on screen the closer we get to enlightenment, but honestly its a little boring.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Papagenos talks about how given it took five years for Steve to be in Smash on the possibility of Cacomallow being possibility real and being perhaps shown tomorrow.
If Cacomallow (demon AND Mallow) is shown tomorrow, then Geno's costume will 100% be shown with it. There is no way they would reveal Mallow's costume without Geno as that completely gives away that Geno is playable. They would have to just show the Cacodemon costume, and once its compared to the original leak, will finally settle the issue if it was real or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom