• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Considering the Small Battlefield update came when it did. I doubt we see Fighter 7 released until much later into the year. Maybe around October or November?
Eh, the Small Battlefield update was really nothing but a few online improvements + a New stage that could have been made in a day, it's clearly just a QoL/competitive patch meant to make online slightly better after getting hit with the backlash/being forced to do everything online for the last 5 months. If they were willing to release Hero and Banjo a month apart last year I don't see why this patch implies we aren't getting anything until October. Not to mention Amiibo theory still supports a September release anyway.

Also, the Min Min presentation was recorded on May 2nd according to Sakurai. She was in the final stages of production in a fully playable state two months before she released. There is no way in hell 7 isn't finished by now, the presentation has to have been recorded at the very least. And if that is the case, there's no way 8 isn't in a playable state as well. They have to have trailers done for both of them by this point, especially since they were both almost certainly going to be at E3 before stuff got shelved. Expecting a double reveal next week isn't unreasonable in the slightest.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Please don't hate me for asking a question like this on this board, but are there any Square characters that you guys would accept if they made it in over Geno? Now, I really want Geno for all of you guys, and I really loved SMRPG, so I mean no ill will by asking.

For me, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with You ticks all the boxes for a Square character I want in Smash. History with Nintendo? Check. (Original game and the remastered Final Remix are both Nintendo exclusives.) Amazing soundtrack? Check. Unique aesthetics? Check. (Seriously, if you haven't seen the game or know anything about it, just Google the title and go to Images.) And it looks like they want to continue the series, at least in the form of the Final Remix sort of lead up as well as the anime they're releasing next year. (Though I think the anime is just a retelling of the first one.)

I personally and selfishly want Neku over Geno, but overall I hope Geno makes it in as it's been a long time coming and there are clearly some incredibly dedicated fans here and in the Smash community in general.
Let's see:
Neku: Nope. Despite the soundtrack beign a banger, not interesed.
Chrono: Nope. I honestly believe Chrono Trigger it's better as a one-off instead of a franchise.
2Butt: Nope. Don't get the hype here.
Lara: Nope. "MUH FEMALES" does not give her extra points in my score at all, but i will not deny she is a gaming icon (not just as a female, but in general)
Gex :Nope.
Slime: Nope.
Sora: Maybe, i guess.
All the other FF reps: Nope to Sephiroth, nope to Tifa, nope to Tidus, nope to Squall, Nope to Noctis, nope nope nope.

Weeellll......there is ONE, just one FF/Square rep that i actually would love to see in Smash:

But if im honest, Geno's ownership was never a reason for me beign interesed in him, it was DESPITE of that. It's like Banjo, the character is Third Party from a legal standpoint, but it FEELS like Nintendo character at heart (it helps Geno comes from a Nintendo-owned franchise) so for me to be given any other Square character over Geno would be like me beign given any other Microsoft character over Banjo, it's not the reason i want him in.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I will continue to be confident in Geno to be the next character revealed for this direct. He's going to make it, be it #7 or #8 or beyond. Except #11. We all know #11 is going to be the sour ender like the final one always is.
Now THIS is something i can agree on.

I feel bad for the poor soul who's meant to be last.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, who's in the mood for some weird theory crafting? I've been reexamining some past ideas and have come to a couple of realizations, both regarding New Spirit Events.
  • They have slowed down DRAMATICALLY in the last few months. Since they started doing them more semi-regularly last fall, it's been relatively consistent. 1 in September, 1 in October, 2 in November, 0 in December, 2 in January, 2 in February, 2 in March but after that they just kinda stop. We got one in April and one in July, that's it. If I had to guess it has something to do with how characters have been pushed back, Sakurai made it clear they plan on doing similar situations to Cuphead and Ninjara in the future where new Spirit Battles change alongside new costume releases. It doesn't really tell us alot but it is interesting.
  • We never got any Origami King spirits did we? That's... really weird. It's pretty much Nintendo's second big non-remake release this year, and isn't lacking characters to make spirit battles from, so what's the deal? Let's look at the big picture.
The List.png

• So in regards to Nintendo-Published games released since Ultimate that haven't gotten Spirit events, we've got two catagories, Games that had stuff in the base-game already, and those that got nothing. For the former, they can all be explained pretty easily, Yoshi got a Crafted World Costume in the base game, Xenoblade and TMS#FE were both remakes with spirits already in the game, and Dr.Kawashima is already in the game and it's Brain Age anyway. Now for the rest, it's weird. Two are pretty easily explainable as well, Pokemon is already kinda weird with rights in Smash as it is (they can't even use the Sugimori art, Team Rocket costume was literally the only first-party DLC costume in Pass 1) and Mystery Dungeon just adds another layer on top of that, I feel like there is a reason we've never seen it get representation of any form in Smash. And Clubhouse Games is a board game collection, I think that explains itself.
  • With all that out of the way, that just leaves... Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Paper Mario : The Origami King. Noticing a pattern here? I don't care what people say, this is really weird. 1 you can brush off, 2 is odd in hindsight, 3 feels worth looking into.
After what happened with Byleth, I can't let these spirit events slide, something feels really off here. There's no reason for any of these games not to get spirit events, yet none of them did, and they all just happen to be Mario games? What the hell is going on here?

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I know Sakurai talked about Lloyd being the obvious pick, but that was 6 years ago so maybe he’s changed his mind now. He could pick Yuri to appeal to Japan to balance things out with any Western oriented picks. Or perhaps Namco would ask for Yuri instead of Lloyd.

That line-up would be pretty hype though. Master Chief/Dante are my two most wanted, it’d be great to finally see Geno, I’m cool with a Japanese oriented pick (especially if Mr America aka Chief gets in) & ending things with a Nintendo character makes sense. Especially since it’s a Nintendo series a lot of people want to see get another character. I’d be a bit bummed about no Crash, but I’d still be extremely happy.

I’m curious. Who do you guys want the most after Geno? I know some of you said you’re done with Smash speculation after he potentially gets in, but do you guys still want anyone after him or is Geno the endgame?

For me, there is no endgame since I play so many games & would love to see many of them get some love in Smash.
No Crash will be a definite bummer for me..and most people I'm close to. My 4 most reasonable picks have remained: Crash, Geno, Master Chief, and Sora. Something tells me we will at least be getting one of these PLUS Geno and if I'm wrong...then damn..

I haven't worried much about Geno's chances since the K. Rool reveal. He's much more of a "when" and not "if" at this point. A Mii Outfit that had its very own Splash Screen just oozes too much significance to not be upgraded!

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Of those 5 absences in spirit events, I'd say Luigi's Mansion 3, Mystery Dungeon, and Origami King stand out as odd. Clubhouse Games would be hard to really personify with any fighter and most of the relevant Mario Maker 2 elements are already in the game.

OK feels like it might get a spirit even at some point soon, but the two might just end up being odd exceptions.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Please don't hate me for asking a question like this on this board, but are there any Square characters that you guys would accept if they made it in over Geno? Now, I really want Geno for all of you guys, and I really loved SMRPG, so I mean no ill will by asking.

For me, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with You ticks all the boxes for a Square character I want in Smash. History with Nintendo? Check. (Original game and the remastered Final Remix are both Nintendo exclusives.) Amazing soundtrack? Check. Unique aesthetics? Check. (Seriously, if you haven't seen the game or know anything about it, just Google the title and go to Images.) And it looks like they want to continue the series, at least in the form of the Final Remix sort of lead up as well as the anime they're releasing next year. (Though I think the anime is just a retelling of the first one.)

I personally and selfishly want Neku over Geno, but overall I hope Geno makes it in as it's been a long time coming and there are clearly some incredibly dedicated fans here and in the Smash community in general.
Lemme go through all the talked about Square Enix characters and my takes on each of them.

Crono: Eh. I don't think we really need Crono after we just got Hero. Both are Akira Toriyama-designed swordfighters and I highly doubt Crono would even remotely come close to the levels of uniqueness we got with Hero to make him stand out. I'd be fine with it, but I wouldn't feel anything if Crono got included.
Lara Croft: Lara is easily one of the most deserving characters of getting included seeing as how she is easily the most iconic female video game character right next to Samus, but I have no personal attachment to Tomb Raider so if Lara were to get revealed, I would just say "oh cool" and nothing else.
Neku: The World Ends With You has the history with Nintendo, but I personally feel Neku sounds boring honestly. I never really played TWEWY, but I have seen gameplay and fan-made movesets for Neku and most of his attacks are just punches and uppercuts. Sure, we've got Min Min who also only punches in her game, but the arm switching gimmick is unique in its own right that it helps make her stand out besides being "punchy ramen girl".
2B: I don't personally think 2B deserves to get included out of any Square character. She has no history with Nintendo and Smash is for good boys and girls. Of course, they can tone her down, but I mean, just look at her a$$.
Sephiroth: I would only want Sephiroth IF he comes with One Winged Angel as a track, in which case I feel he would be a bit better to throw in as a deluxe Mii Outfit that brings along that song. I think Final Fantasy deserves more representation, but I don't think it needs another character, especially not before other third-party franchises like Sonic or Mega Man. I think we should simply get a FF Spirit Event if Sakurai is looking to add more Final Fantasy content.
Gex: I actually wouldn't mind Gex and he would be a unique retro-throwback character that no one would really see coming. I doubt it will happen, but I think he would be a rather interesting character.
Sora: I used to support Sora for Smash, but lately I feel nothing for the character. Sora would probably be my second choice for a Square rep after Geno simply for the wow factor, but I never touched a Kingdom Hearts game to personally get hyped for the character. I would just be extremely happy for the fans and it would just seem so surreal for Disney to get content in Smash, even though I doubt it will happen.

In short, I would actually be okay with other Square characters. I just simply want Geno more then any of these guys, given the history I and many others have went through to get him included.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Lemme go through all the talked about Square Enix characters and my takes on each of them.

Crono: Eh. I don't think we really need Crono after we just got Hero. Both are Akira Toriyama-designed swordfighters and I highly doubt Crono would even remotely come close to the levels of uniqueness we got with Hero to make him stand out. I'd be fine with it, but I wouldn't feel anything if Crono got included.
Lara Croft: Lara is easily one of the most deserving characters of getting included seeing as how she is easily the most iconic female video game character right next to Samus, but I have no personal attachment to Tomb Raider so if Lara were to get revealed, I would just say "oh cool" and nothing else.
Neku: The World Ends With You has the history with Nintendo, but I personally feel Neku sounds boring honestly. I never really played TWEWY, but I have seen gameplay and fan-made movesets for Neku and most of his attacks are just punches and uppercuts. Sure, we've got Min Min who also only punches in her game, but the arm switching gimmick is unique in its own right that it helps make her stand out besides being "punchy ramen girl".
2B: I don't personally think 2B deserves to get included out of any Square character. She has no history with Nintendo and Smash is for good boys and girls. Of course, they can tone her down, but I mean, just look at her a$$.
Sephiroth: I would only want Sephiroth IF he comes with One Winged Angel as a track, in which case I feel he would be a bit better to throw in as a deluxe Mii Outfit that brings along that song. I think Final Fantasy deserves more representation, but I don't think it needs another character, especially not before other third-party franchises like Sonic or Mega Man. I think we should simply get a FF Spirit Event if Sakurai is looking to add more Final Fantasy content.
Gex: I actually wouldn't mind Gex and he would be a unique retro-throwback character that no one would really see coming. I doubt it will happen, but I think he would be a rather interesting character.
Sora: I used to support Sora for Smash, but lately I feel nothing for the character. Sora would probably be my second choice for a Square rep after Geno simply for the wow factor, but I never touched a Kingdom Hearts game to personally get hyped for the character. I would just be extremely happy for the fans and it would just seem so surreal for Disney to get content in Smash, even though I doubt it will happen.

In short, I would actually be okay with other Square characters. I just simply want Geno more then any of these guys, given the history I and many others have went through to get him included.
See I feel the opposite about Neku (clearly by my first post, hah). Neku doesn’t have a typical moveset in the way that most characters from RPGs do. All of his moves are decided by what “pins” he has equipped. Abilities range from slashing like you mentioned (but they’re not all that great in the game) to setting the ground aflame and controlling the flames, icicles from the ground, a variety of energy bullets, various forms of lightning, earthquakes, grabbing items on the ground and bashing opponents with them, utilizing the ability of high level defeated Noise (enemies), and many more. I think that the closest characters I could think of would be either Hero or Robin without the sword, or ironically, Isaac from Golden Sun. There would be a lot of creative freedom Sakurai could take because the source game literally has hundreds of pins with maybe 50 or so different kinds of moves therein. /end character bias rant.

I agree with your other opinions more or less, by the way. I’d love Neku but Geno would be more monumental. Also, I’ve played and loved all of the KH games and while I’d be stoked for Sora, I’d still like Geno for similar aforementioned reasons.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
See I feel the opposite about Neku (clearly by my first post, hah). Neku doesn’t have a typical moveset in the way that most characters from RPGs do. All of his moves are decided by what “pins” he has equipped. Abilities range from slashing like you mentioned (but they’re not all that great in the game) to setting the ground aflame and controlling the flames, icicles from the ground, a variety of energy bullets, various forms of lightning, earthquakes, grabbing items on the ground and bashing opponents with them, utilizing the ability of high level defeated Noise (enemies), and many more. I think that the closest characters I could think of would be either Hero or Robin without the sword, or ironically, Isaac from Golden Sun. There would be a lot of creative freedom Sakurai could take because the source game literally has hundreds of pins with maybe 50 or so different kinds of moves therein. /end character bias rant.
Ah I see. As I said, I never really played TWEWY so I'm probably giving him less credit then he deserves. He is still someone I'm not necessarily rooting for since I never played TWEWY, but I wouldn't mind him and I would be happy for the Neku supporters and TWEWY fans!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't mean to bring up any negativity, but I owe this thread an apology.

Yesterday in the Newcomer General Discussion, I was being a complete douchebag. I saw that there was an argument brewing between some members from over there and some members from over here. I've hung out in that thread for a while so I understood where they were coming from, and I did my best to explain their side to the Geno supporters. But from there, I started going downhill.

Internally, I felt drained of this thread. Not because of anyone here specifically or because of Geno, but when a thread is specific to one small topic (such as a single character and speculation around them), the discussion becomes very formulaic and repetitive, especially when we're in a news drought.

While spending time in that thread before yesterday's **** show, I saw the way some people described Geno fans, and in my head I was thinking "well I've seen people in the Geno thread act in ways I disagree with before," so when the arguments began, I irrationally acted on impulse instead of thinking about all of the great people I've met here. While I don't believe I went as far as others, I think I played a part in demonizing this thread and I feel horrible about it because most of my friends on this site are from here, and some of the nicest people in this site are from here.

I also want to apologize specifically to Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ForsakenM ForsakenM .

Fatman, I believed I played a role in generating negative discussion about this thread and I'm sorry that you had to get involved. I really don't think you're a bad person regardless of what others think of you over there, or elsewhere on the internet. I stated over there that I was annoyed that people in this thread cling onto your words so closely, but I hope you know that nothing I shared was meant to specifically target you or incite any sort of harassment mob against you. I just got onto the site, and I noticed others were harassing you and trying to drive you out of the thread which was very cruel and immature of them to do. I'm really sorry about everything, you've been nothing but kind to me so I hope that we can still be on friendly terms.

ForsakenM, I'm not sure if you ever got my DM, but I'm very sorry for portraying this thread in the negative light that I did. I'm thankful you called me out because without your post, I really don't think I would've realized how I was playing a big part in spinning a narrative about this thread. People like you and AceAttorney9000 AceAttorney9000 were doing the right thing by sticking to your guns and not giving in to the hostility, and I honestly wish I had done the same. I have a lot of friends here, and I let all of them down for taking a part in the generalizing. Like Fatman, I hope we aren't on bad terms now.

I really do not want to derail this thread into drama/negativity, but I'm sure a lot of you guys saw what I was saying yesterday and I just didn't feel right not saying something and instead ducking out like a ****. I'm going to take a break from this thread because I really don't think specific discussions threads are the place for me right now, and I'm sorry I used this one specifically to vent. I also don't believe I even deserve to be here right now, at least now for a while.

Even if others on the site want to continue to bash Geno as a choice, I'll continue rooting for him and lurking this thread in the shadows.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think we’re getting FP8. I think we’re going to hit another info drought at least till early next year.
I hope you're so wrong

If I had another Square Enix choice besides Geno;
  • Tifa
  • Lara Croft
  • Crono

and for one's that'd be out of left field:
  • Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble
  • Yoyo Yoko from Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring
I LOVED Ehrgeiz. And I forgot Squeenix owned Taito now. You, my good sir, are a man of exquisite taste.

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I know Sakurai talked about Lloyd being the obvious pick, but that was 6 years ago so maybe he’s changed his mind now. He could pick Yuri to appeal to Japan to balance things out with any Western oriented picks. Or perhaps Namco would ask for Yuri instead of Lloyd.

That line-up would be pretty hype though. Master Chief/Dante are my two most wanted, it’d be great to finally see Geno, I’m cool with a Japanese oriented pick (especially if Mr America aka Chief gets in) & ending things with a Nintendo character makes sense. Especially since it’s a Nintendo series a lot of people want to see get another character. I’d be a bit bummed about no Crash, but I’d still be extremely happy.

I’m curious. Who do you guys want the most after Geno? I know some of you said you’re done with Smash speculation after he potentially gets in, but do you guys still want anyone after him or is Geno the endgame?

For me, there is no endgame since I play so many games & would love to see many of them get some love in Smash.
If they add Geno, they could make the rest of the pass Pokemon & Fire Emblem, and I'd be stoked. (Honestly though, I like all the fire emblem reps, even though I've never played a fire emblem game...)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No Crash will be a definite bummer for me..and most people I'm close to. My 4 most reasonable picks have remained: Crash, Geno, Master Chief, and Sora. Something tells me we will at least be getting one of these PLUS Geno and if I'm wrong...then damn..

I haven't worried much about Geno's chances since the K. Rool reveal. He's much more of a "when" and not "if" at this point. A Mii Outfit that had its very own Splash Screen just oozes too much significance to not be upgraded!
Can we take a second to appreciate where we're at in smash Bros. That Master Chief and Sora are considered reasonable requests? It's crazy how far we've come.

vivala

Smash Journeyman

I could accept a FF6 rep. I'd have a similar reaction to when Cloud was revealed (which was before I'd played FF7): something like "I'm not super excited, but I 100% see why a game as iconic as this is getting a character"

Crono would have a similar reaction, mixed with how I felt about Byleth: not super hyped since their niche was already filled, but still happy because I loved the game they were from.

This is maybe a weird take, but I'd only be happy with Sora if he came with Disney content. Like, I get that the series has a lot of fans who genuinely love the original content, and you could absolutely get enough content out of things like Organization XIII and Destiny Isles to make a stage, character, and spirits, but let's be real: the Disney elements are the big appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Adding Sora with absolutely no Disney content would be like adding Cloud and making his stage Nibelheim instead of Midgar. Like yeah, it would work, but you're kind of missing the Big Iconic Thing. In conclusion, sorta anime kid with quirky sword-like weapon? Eh. That same kid with mother****ing Mickey Mouse hanging out in the background? Heck yes!

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I could accept a FF6 rep. I'd have a similar reaction to when Cloud was revealed (which was before I'd played FF7): something like "I'm not super excited, but I 100% see why a game as iconic as this is getting a character"

Crono would have a similar reaction, mixed with how I felt about Byleth: not super hyped since their niche was already filled, but still happy because I loved the game they were from.

This is maybe a weird take, but I'd only be happy with Sora if he came with Disney content. Like, I get that the series has a lot of fans who genuinely love the original content, and you could absolutely get enough content out of things like Organization XIII and Destiny Isles to make a stage, character, and spirits, but let's be real: the Disney elements are the big appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Adding Sora with absolutely no Disney content would be like adding Cloud and making his stage Nibelheim instead of Midgar. Like yeah, it would work, but you're kind of missing the Big Iconic Thing. In conclusion, sorta anime kid with quirky sword-like weapon? Eh. That same kid with mother****ing Mickey Mouse hanging out in the background? Heck yes!
given cluod, its entirely posible that sora would only come with 2 songs and no spirits even if he did get in, best case senario would be like hero, where there were 2 songs from each game that got a character alt, so 1,3,8,&11

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Here's my opinion on Geno's competition from SE:
Crono: music? Sure. Gameplay? Nah. Chrono brings nothing new to Smash at all. I totally understand the nostalgia and I could absolutely imagine a full moveset for him but there's no way to really make that moveset creative and original so yes I would be angry if he were included over Geno. Teamwork is also very important in the game so it doesn't really make sense to have Crono as a solo fighter imo.

Lara: Lara I would understand. From my personal preference I would be irritated they would choose her over a Resident Evil rep to get a rather bland survival-based gimmicky moveset, but I'd understand. She's a gaming icon. I can't say I'd be upset, but I would be extremely dissatisfied and sad that she was chosen over Geno.

Sora: Never played KH but I really want to and I really like Sora's aesthetic and the fact he fights with a keyblade. I think the games have really made a name for themselves and deserve representation in Smash but I also don't know enough to justify a moveset for Sora or absence of Disney references which seems like it would be important to include. U don't think I would be mad about Sora getting in I think his fans have been fighting a long time too. Obviously I would still be sad about Geno not being in.

Neku: Haven't played TWEWY either. I find the idea of his inclusion perplexing. I can't speak to moveset though some fan movesets I've seen looked fun and unique enough. TWEWY is definitely a respected game but doesn't really have a legacy nor does Neku have a big long-lasting fan following in Smash. Therefore I find him unjustifiable over his competition from SE and would be upset about his inclusion. I do think he's a cool character and I love the aesthetic of TWEWY though and I would probably grow to love him in Smash if he got in over Geno.

Another FF rep: Here's where things get a little hairy. Black Mage was one of my most wanted characters before Cloud got in. I don't see much reason why they'd include both characters at this point even though I feel that Black Mage is insanely iconic and would have an insane moveset. I wouldn't be upset about that inclusion. However, I feel like it would probably be someone more like Sephiroth and I yawn at that possibility. Yes he's one of the most iconic villains in gaming but...I don't know he just doesn't appeal to me. I can't speak to moveset for him either.

2B: Sounds like Kosmos would be cooler moveset-wise and 2B is not for good boys and girls. Wouldn't sit right with me due to not really being familiar with the franchise or the really having any interest in the character or game. Just feels too new and I didn't feel that way about Joker but that might be because I was familiar with SMT and by extension knew of Persona. Seems like a popular character but I would be upset about her inclusion since that popularity mostly seems to stem from her butt...in fact that's about all I know about the game is that she apparently has a great caboose so...color me unimpressed.

It's not really fair of me to make these assessments as my gaming experience is limited. I'm just answering the question from my perspective. Geno is an oddball pick for sure but my criteria is pretty clear: moveset potential (Geno has an abundance), some level of legacy (Geno fandom is literally a pillar of the Smash community), some sort of significant gaming history (from the very first Mario RPG), for good boys and girls (oh crap...he's half naked), and of course significant to me personally (my most wanted characters in Smash since Melee times and pretty much my favorite video game character of all time).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sora for me. His addition would be huge and he'd please more people than Geno would. Geno is popular among the dedicated Smash fandom but Sora is probably the most popular character among both a lot of Smash fanbase and casuals

Heoj

Smash Ace

Neku is definitely among my most wanted but genos my number 1 so i would lose my marbles if neku got in, but id still be sad that geno missed his last chance

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976

So the most likely candidates from Square;

Sephiroth; Popular but unlikely, I love ff7 ( the original, the remake was FLAWED ) and if seph got in before Geno, I´d still be pissed.
Only thing going for him is OWA, in my eyes.
Crono: Is now obscure, but a great character, still be pissed if he was in. Hero took his spot, as many have said. great music, alright game.
Lara: Female rep. iconic. But kinda boring. She seems to belong more in a Playstation Battle royale sequel, to be honest.
Tifa; Full stop no. Also, Smash is for good boys and girls.
2B: Same as before.
Neku: Square seems to be pushing twewy ten years after the original ds game. I still don´t see Neku happening. Music would be great but Square is stingy, so pass.
Aya Brea
Square also owns Deus ex and some other eidos ****. Enix has more games than Dragon quest. I doubt a character from the Mana series would appear too.
Terra Branford: Would be cool but not before the blue starboy puppet

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I feel like both Paper Mario The Origami King and Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirit events don't mean much really.
I'm sure we've gone through this already, but not only did Astral Chain get a spirit event like 5 months or so after its release, both the Paper Mario series AND the Luigi's Mansion series already have spirits in base game.
They could arguably come up with new spirits of course, but they don't have to since there's already content from their series in Smash (and besides they would only add like two or three spirits from these games given there aren't many original characters in both lmao so a perfect amount for a spirit event)
However I won't dismiss the possibility that Paper Mario may be one of the DLC fighters (would just be a tad disappointing to me personally, though I understand the choice...)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I feel like both Paper Mario The Origami King and Luigi's Mansion 3 not getting spirit events don't mean much really.
I'm sure we've gone through this already, but not only did Astral Chain get a spirit event like 5 months or so after its release, both the Paper Mario series AND the Luigi's Mansion series already have spirits in base game.
They could arguably come up with new spirits of course, but they don't have to since there's already content from their series in Smash (and besides they would only add like two or three spirits from these games given there aren't many original characters in both lmao so a perfect amount for a spirit event)
However I won't dismiss the possibility that Paper Mario may be one of the DLC fighters (would just be a tad disappointing to me personally, though I understand the choice...)
Are people still discussing that? I must have missed it. But long story short, it just seems like games under the Mario umbrella tend to miss spirit events if they aren't as tethered to it or aren't that important. Yoshis Crafted World, LM3 and MM2 all fall under this in some way whether it be Mario Maker being more of a maker game than an actual 2D or 3D game and LM3 and YCF being less tethered to the brand. Paper Mario is at least as important as Mario Party which got spirits when smash ultimate launched but most games have had to wait about 3 or so months to get spirits and that will probably be the same for Paper Mario. At least that's the common denominator I found.

The lack of spirits from games under the Mario umbrella specifically seem to not mean much as 3 games I just pointed out lacked them and this makes sense when Mario gets tonnes of those sorts of games a year, cos Mr Video Game and all that jazz.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
2B: Sounds like Kosmos would be cooler moveset-wise and 2B is not for good boys and girls. Wouldn't sit right with me due to not really being familiar with the franchise or the really having any interest in the character or game. Just feels too new and I didn't feel that way about Joker but that might be because I was familiar with SMT and by extension knew of Persona. Seems like a popular character but I would be upset about her inclusion since that popularity mostly seems to stem from her butt...in fact that's about all I know about the game is that she apparently has a great caboose so...color me unimpressed.
If you have a PS4 or Xbox One, I’d highly suggest playing 2B’s game Nier: Automata. It’s one of the best games of the past decade. It has really fun gameplay with a great, haunting story & an amazing soundtrack. It’s one of my favorite games ever. People want 2B for how good her home game is, not just because she’s hot.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about the Mario games not getting spirit events you could go either way, but it got me thinking that maybe if and when Geno arrives his spirit board would just be a smattering of random Mario spirits rather than actual content from SMRPG. Yeah, it would be a huge monkey paw. But if Square is notoriously shrewd and hard to negotiate with then it might make sense that they would only give the rights to two characters, Mallow and Geno, plus 2 music tracks and a stage - no more than what we got for Cloud really. Also, if Geno was meant to tie into the 35th anniversary, a 35th Mario anniversary spirit event totally is likely and could totally make sense somehow being tied into his spirit board with some of the spirits being free DLC (added as a monthly event) and some being paid (as part of his spirit board). Food for thought...

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If you have a PS4 or Xbox One, I’d highly suggest playing 2B’s game Nier: Automata. It’s one of the best games of the past decade. It has really fun gameplay with a great, haunting story & an amazing soundtrack. It’s one of my favorite games ever. People want 2B for how good her home game is, not just because she’s hot.
NieR: Automata is easily one of my top 10 favorite games ever. It wouldn't matter if 2B wasn't as hot as she is one bit, it's just a great game with a great story.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I remember when people suggested that fp6,7 and 8 were going to be revealed together at e3(june).
Now people think that fp8 might not even be revealed with 7 in this next august/september direct.
I could see that happening. I don't think 7 will be shadow dropped.
We will probably wait some weeks, and maybe in his presentation will get 8.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So the most likely candidates from Square;

Sephiroth; Popular but unlikely, I love ff7 ( the original, the remake was FLAWED ) and if seph got in before Geno, I´d still be pissed.
Only thing going for him is OWA, in my eyes.
Crono: Is now obscure, but a great character, still be pissed if he was in. Hero took his spot, as many have said. great music, alright game.
Lara: Female rep. iconic. But kinda boring. She seems to belong more in a Playstation Battle royale sequel, to be honest.
Tifa; Full stop no. Also, Smash is for good boys and girls.
2B: Same as before.
Neku: Square seems to be pushing twewy ten years after the original ds game. I still don´t see Neku happening. Music would be great but Square is stingy, so pass.
Aya Brea
Square also owns Deus ex and some other eidos ****. Enix has more games than Dragon quest. I doubt a character from the Mana series would appear too.
Terra Branford: Would be cool but not before the blue starboy puppet
Tifa and 2B don't even come close to the level of nsfw of Mai. If Bayonetta and smash 4 zero suit samus are fine, they would be too.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Master Chief being a likely character is something I’m still trying to process
Yeah, me too. It's kind of ironic because one of my guys pointed out to me the other day that I kind of unironically was the person that dragged Master Chief into serious discussions last December/January. I have no attachment to the character but, I keep saying, my predictions aren't my wish list, they're who I've seen the evidence point to. Chief got an absurd amount all at once last winter to the point that, as you guys saw, I old yellered entertaining Ryu Hayabusa and a Bethesda character as soon as Byleth was revealed. His only obstacle right now is not being on a Nintendo platform but Zell said he's heard the Master Chief Collection since early 2019 and that's a hell of an insider to have in your corner. Outside of dates, the guy has a near perfect track record and his seemingly impossible statement last year has only aged better with time. It really is a crazy time for Smash and I strongly believe this next presentation is going to be one people fondly remember decades from now.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tifa and 2B don't even come close to the level of nsfw of Mai. If Bayonetta and smash 4 zero suit samus are fine, they would be too.
If you can, with lack of a better term, upskirt a character in the game the CERO rating in Japan immediately jumps up. Something Nintendo wants to avoid. Thus, Tifa, 2B, and Mai are all likely in the same boat.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Nice edit haha
I decided to try and really learn how to edit videos today, and this is what I've got for you all.

I hope you guys enjoy it, I had fun making it. Plenty more to come as long as I have free time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I don't think there's anyone one factor that's making 2B singularly unlikely, it could be that a combination of factors like the alternations to her design and the complete lack of any Nintendo presence (with even Drakengard have none) has made her low on the list as far as Square Enix characters to put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom