• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I still contend that a lot of franchises got snubbed. I know it's impossible to please everybody but include anything that matters from a franchise within a game like Smash where so many IPs are interacting. However, Pikmin definitely got a big shaft. A couple of the songs got removed because of licensing issues too. I really want Alph to be a separate echo fighter with the current move set plus Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin replacing purple and white, while Olimar gets the current move set with his old recovery and no Rock or Winged. Of course that means they would also both go back to having six Pikmin max, which I don't know why we didn't go back to since the 3DS is not holding the game back anymore. Rock Pikmin can even have a unique gimmick where they also tackle fighters like a purple Pikmin, but trade some of that knockback for being much better at breaking through shields and having a higher priority against different moves. Winged Pikmin would still appear for Alph's recovery, but if he has Winged Pikmin following him they would join in and buff the recovery. As a projectile, Winged would be super weak but they'd have a higher flight path when thrown and slight homing properties. It would make Alph be a little more aggressive and safer for noobs, while keeping Olimar as the big brain set up fighter.

You're also forgetting the mushroom Pikmin from the first game! They could be super rare to pull up, and they would completely ignore the player, instead just bum rushing any opponent that's nearby and causing a flower to grow on their head as they attack. Bulbmin I picture also being rare and just super big, enough that they would take up the space of two Pikmin in your inventory. They would not throw very far but they would have really high knockback and then sort of snap at people who come near them as they stand around waiting to be whistled over. This makes the mushroom Pikmin something like a lucky accident and the Bulbmin a trap you can set up

To keep this on topic with Geno, I really hope that Mario RPG gets a decent amount of representation. I know that the DLC fighters tend to, but then there's weird stuff like Banjo coming with very few spirits or missing 1/3 of the ARMS cast (except as music).
the mushroom were never a pikmin type, it was a status effect caused by the mushroom boss, it caused them to follow the boss, and attack non infected pikmin killing both of them (unless it was a red then they would win)

Powerman293

Smash Ace
People always be like "Aren't ya gonna be disappointed if you hype yourself up and Geno isn't in?"
Bro, Geno ain't got ****. The most disappointing thing in my life will always be finding out that the Rice Krispies cereal tastes nothing like Rice Krispies Treats
Byleth presentation exists so I can't go any lower in disappointment.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
careful what you say, we might get another FE character this pass who is another clone of marth.
in terms of fire emblem the possible characters are lyn -fan favorite katana/bow (assist trophy), hector axe lord- fan favorite, Claude bow lord- three houses, Demetri spear lord- three houses, and edelgaurd axe lord-three houses, in terms of upcoming games it is too soon for a new one, a remake should be next so far ikes games and roy/lyns games are rumored to be the next remade

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Shorthand list of things in my life that would be more disappointing than Geno missing Smash again:

-Star Fox Adventures

-Fooly Cooly Season 2 and 3

-Trying vanilla by itself the first time

-Jungle Book 2

-Genndy Popeye originally getting cancelled for the Emoji movie

-Finding out Creedence Clear Water Revival were from California and faked their accents

-the 1910 Phantom of the Opera novel
My turn of dissapointment. Things more dissapointing than Geno not beign in Smash:
Smash Related:
-The Online.
-The Final Direct of Smash 4.
-The representation of Final Fantasy (2 songs)
-Joker
-Simon not getting his main theme song remixed while Richter did.
-The Nov Smash Direct. Again.

Non-Smash Related:
-Crash N. Sane Trilogy not having a Latam Dub (thankfully Crash 4 is fixing that)
-DB FighterZ not getting a Latam Dub.
-Netflix Castlevania.
-Netflix Saint Seiya.
-Just Netflix in general.
-Not having Different Dorito Flavors in my country since the mid 2010's (we only have the basic Red Cheese Bag)
-Rise of the TMNT.
-All Disney Live Action.
-Kairi beign wasted potential in KH3.
-the Switch Ports of Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated and Bloodstained.
-Most internet sites.
-A lot of things really but the list it's too long.

Quincycoatl

Smash Rookie
Just gonna slide on in here with my obligatory first post on the site. Nice to meet you all, I've been shadowing off and on for some time now and only now decided to join the discussions. This is mostly because I had a crackpot theory recently that I wanted to get some input on.

I'll come out in saying that I don't have any personal history with Geno, however I do support the idea of him getting in (and I'm almost certain he will at this point). I like his design and I think he could have a pretty fun moveset, plus at this point I think he sort of deserves to get in at this point with the support for him for all these years. Honestly besides a single unlikely, completely personal pick, there really aren't any other characters I personally want; everything else is just icing on the cake for me so I'd want other people's dream picks to get in.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Just gonna slide on in here with my obligatory first post on the site. Nice to meet you all, I've been shadowing off and on for some time now and only now decided to join the discussions. This is mostly because I had a crackpot theory recently that I wanted to get some input on.

I'll come out in saying that I don't have any personal history with Geno, however I do support the idea of him getting in (and I'm almost certain he will at this point). I like his design and I think he could have a pretty fun moveset, plus at this point I think he sort of deserves to get in at this point with the support for him for all these years. Honestly besides a single unlikely, completely personal pick, there really aren't any other characters I personally want; everything else is just icing on the cake for me so I'd want other people's dream picks to get in.
What's your personal pick?

Also, welcome to the thread!

Quincycoatl

Smash Rookie
What's your personal pick?

Also, welcome to the thread!
Thank you!
For me it's Travis Touchdown. I absolutely adore NMH and all the way back in Brawl, I always thought Travis was perfect for Smash. He's the only character I personally wanted for over a decade now. I accepted long ago that he's more of a pipe dream pick and I wouldn't be upset if he didn't make it in, of course his chances are better now more than ever but I'm not necessarily holding my breath.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Welcome

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Shorthand list of things in my life that would be more disappointing than Geno missing Smash again:

What was so bad about Seasons 2 & 3?

Welcome to the thread! Here, have a Geno hat!
Hat time.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Welcome!
I would also love to hear your theory on Geno!

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
My turn of dissapointment. Things more dissapointing than Geno not beign in Smash:
Smash Related:
-The Online.
-The Final Direct of Smash 4.
-The representation of Final Fantasy (2 songs)
-Joker
-Simon not getting his main theme song remixed while Richter did.
-The Nov Smash Direct. Again.

Non-Smash Related:
-Crash N. Sane Trilogy not having a Latam Dub (thankfully Crash 4 is fixing that)
-DB FighterZ not getting a Latam Dub.
-Netflix Castlevania.
-Netflix Saint Seiya.
-Just Netflix in general.
-Not having Different Dorito Flavors in my country since the mid 2010's (we only have the basic Red Cheese Bag)
-Rise of the TMNT.
-All Disney Live Action.
-Kairi beign wasted potential in KH3.
-the Switch Ports of Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated and Bloodstained.
-Most internet sites.
-A lot of things really but the list it's too long.
Seconded on the Switch port of Battle for Bikini Bottom. Using the "A" button to jump is a pain in the arse!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Seconded on the Switch port of Battle for Bikini Bottom. Using the "A" button to jump is a pain in the arse!
I think that might actually be a bug. When I launched the game via the executable the controls were mapped fine. B was jump, Y was the Bubble Wand, etc. Maybe you should try that.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

-Star Fox Adventures

-Trying vanilla by itself the first time

-Jungle Book 2

-Genndy Popeye originally getting cancelled for the Emoji movie

-Finding out Creedence Clear Water Revival were from California and faked their accents

-the 1910 Phantom of the Opera novel
The Popeye film is back in production, actually.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
There are still people that support him. I think he might be one of dlc fighters and I don’t care if you think I’m delusional for it.

Maybe ditch gamefaqs and go on Twitter or discord?
I never said you were delusional, but you do seem to argue just for the sake of arguing.
Like how it bothered you when I said Waluigi is a poor choice for leak bait. That is a fact whether you like it or not. And btw it doesn't actually hurt Waluigi's chances, it's just that a lot more people don't think he's likely, even insiders according to FMOI.

But speaking objectively, Waluigi's absence from the roster for the third time in a row did cause a huge uproar, which is without a doubt was the biggest in Smash history. This is due to Waluigi's meme currency, now I know people love Waluigi genuinely, I do so myself, ever since Mario Kart Double Dash. But it really is disingenuous to say that memes didn't help make him more popular. And it goes the other way too, you can't say people just like him for the memes, because that's objectively not true.

A simple meme usually has a short life span.
But Waluigi is a video game character that just happens to be memeable.
That means that even if the memes stopped, Waluigi would still be the same character, because the memes only highlight and exaggerate certain aspects of his personality, they build upon established characteristics.
That's what memes are.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Popeye film is back in production, actually.

Well, dang. I’m over here wishing DreamWorks get back to productions on the movie Me and My Shadow and Larrikins.

Quincycoatl

Smash Rookie
What was so bad about Seasons 2 & 3?

Welcome to the thread! Here, have a Geno hat!
View attachment 282308
Thank you! I'll wear it with pride!

Welcome!
I would also love to hear your theory on Geno!
Well it's actually less of a theory for Geno and more of an overall theory regarding the Fighter Pass choices.

You see I'm a bit of a hyper analyst, so I'm always trying to analyze the logic and reasoning behind certain decisions be they personal or business related (It's not hard to imagine that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Nintendo in this aspect). I don't need to tell you all how Nintendo kind of work within a bubble, however that doesn't seem to be the case when it comes to the Fighter Pass choices. I always find myself coming back to Nintendo being the ones choosing the characters, of course we know at that Sakurai does have more control over whether they can work or not and which character from a specific game (like with Min Min).

It was a little after Min Min came out and I decided to take a step back and look at everything we've gotten so far that a thought occurred to me: Nintendo ACTIVELY chose these characters. Nintendo CHOSE Joker. Nintendo CHOSE Hero. Nintendo CHOSE Banjo. Nintendo CHOSE Terry. These are characters that when we look at the grand scheme of things, probably wouldn't entice casual Smash players or complete newcomers to the series as much as others. If they were trying to sell the Fighter Pass to as many people as possible, why go with some of these options? As happy as I was to get Banjo, he's sadly a largely irrelevant character nowadays that would really only appeal to the smash veterans who have wanted him since Melee. Why go through the effort for what might be very little return?

Then I had a theory, about the true purpose of the Fighter Pass and the logic Nintendo is using for character choices: demographics. They're not simply trying to entice players who already have the game to get the Fighter Pass, they're trying to use the Fighter Pass to appeal to specific or niche audiences to get the whole package. When you think about it, Ultimate really didn't need to do much to sell itself. It had already become a money printer for Nintendo at this point and it alone was going to sell Switch units. All Ultimate had to do to sell itself to us was say "Everyone is Here" plus more. Nintendo absolutely knew this, just like they absolutely know the demand for characters like Banjo (and in that regard Geno) and the core package already has so much that can appeal to just about everybody, the Fighter Pass is essentially cleanup.

This is where we come to the Fighter Pass characters and the demographics they appeal to:

Joker- Appeals to a very particular yet very dedicated JRPG fandom that while not as big as others, are VERY vocal about their love for a relatively niche series (not meant as any kind of disrespect, I myself have been a Persona fan since 3).

Hero- Appeals to a more old school, JRPG demographic mostly in Japan plus promotion for the Switch port of DQ11.

Banjo- Appeals to the longstanding Smash players that have actively wanted him since Melee and have been around for the era of the N64.

Terry- Appeals to the more dedicated arcade fighting game community as well as South American/Latino groups.

Byleth- Appeals to the same dedicated Fire Emblem fans who were upset at Chrom not getting into WiiU/3DS as well as cross promotion with that game.

Min Min-... uh... Arms stans? In all seriousness I think it's to appeal to the casual gamers that invested in the Switch early on and possibly to have a character represent their newest console generation.

It's with this theory in mind that it seems possible that the rest of the FP characters will appeal to other demographics that aren't as catered to in the base game. In fact if this crackpot theory of mine holds true, then it actually lines up a lot with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice predictions from a little while back, and this of course includes Geno: to appeal to one of the last long running character demands like Banjo was.

Other possible examples:

Crash- Appeals to old-school Playstation fans who were likely around during those console wars.

Master Chief/Doom Slayer- Appeals to FPS fans.

Man that was a lot, sorry if it's long-winded and rambly but I wanted to get it all out there. It's probably like how a described it, a crackpot theory, but I thought it was an interesting way to view what characters we could possibly see in the future.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Thank you! I'll wear it with pride!

Well it's actually less of a theory for Geno and more of an overall theory regarding the Fighter Pass choices.

You see I'm a bit of a hyper analyst, so I'm always trying to analyze the logic and reasoning behind certain decisions be they personal or business related (It's not hard to imagine that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Nintendo in this aspect). I don't need to tell you all how Nintendo kind of work within a bubble, however that doesn't seem to be the case when it comes to the Fighter Pass choices. I always find myself coming back to Nintendo being the ones choosing the characters, of course we know at that Sakurai does have more control over whether they can work or not and which character from a specific game (like with Min Min).

It was a little after Min Min came out and I decided to take a step back and look at everything we've gotten so far that a thought occurred to me: Nintendo ACTIVELY chose these characters. Nintendo CHOSE Joker. Nintendo CHOSE Hero. Nintendo CHOSE Banjo. Nintendo CHOSE Terry. These are characters that when we look at the grand scheme of things, probably wouldn't entice casual Smash players or complete newcomers to the series as much as others. If they were trying to sell the Fighter Pass to as many people as possible, why go with some of these options? As happy as I was to get Banjo, he's sadly a largely irrelevant character nowadays that would really only appeal to the smash veterans who have wanted him since Melee. Why go through the effort for what might be very little return?

Then I had a theory, about the true purpose of the Fighter Pass and the logic Nintendo is using for character choices: demographics. They're not simply trying to entice players who already have the game to get the Fighter Pass, they're trying to use the Fighter Pass to appeal to specific or niche audiences to get the whole package. When you think about it, Ultimate really didn't need to do much to sell itself. It had already become a money printer for Nintendo at this point and it alone was going to sell Switch units. All Ultimate had to do to sell itself to us was say "Everyone is Here" plus more. Nintendo absolutely knew this, just like they absolutely know the demand for characters like Banjo (and in that regard Geno) and the core package already has so much that can appeal to just about everybody, the Fighter Pass is essentially cleanup.

This is where we come to the Fighter Pass characters and the demographics they appeal to:

Joker- Appeals to a very particular yet very dedicated JRPG fandom that while not as big as others, are VERY vocal about their love for a relatively niche series (not meant as any kind of disrespect, I myself have been a Persona fan since 3).

Hero- Appeals to a more old school, JRPG demographic mostly in Japan plus promotion for the Switch port of DQ11.

Banjo- Appeals to the longstanding Smash players that have actively wanted him since Melee and have been around for the era of the N64.

Terry- Appeals to the more dedicated arcade fighting game community as well as South American/Latino groups.

Byleth- Appeals to the same dedicated Fire Emblem fans who were upset at Chrom not getting into WiiU/3DS as well as cross promotion with that game.

Min Min-... uh... Arms stans? In all seriousness I think it's to appeal to the casual gamers that invested in the Switch early on and possibly to have a character represent their newest console generation.

It's with this theory in mind that it seems possible that the rest of the FP characters will appeal to other demographics that aren't as catered to in the base game. In fact if this crackpot theory of mine holds true, then it actually lines up a lot with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice predictions from a little while back, and this of course includes Geno: to appeal to one of the last long running character demands like Banjo was.

Other possible examples:

Crash- Appeals to old-school Playstation fans who were likely around during those console wars.

Master Chief/Doom Slayer- Appeals to FPS fans.

Man that was a lot, sorry if it's long-winded and rambly but I wanted to get it all out there. It's probably like how a described it, a crackpot theory, but I thought it was an interesting way to view what characters we could possibly see in the future.

I don't really think the theory holds up fully though, even if it does make sense logically. If the intent of the DLC is to appeal to other demographics that weren't already appealed too, then a lot of the choices in FP 1 have a ton of faults regarding them.

Terry - He appeals to fighting game fan? The group that Ken appealed too in the base game? Terry was a good choice but really he appealed to SNK fans more specifically, and if we get into fans of __ company or __ series that isn't in Smash yet; the door has been opened for hundreds of series.

Byleth - See above, Chrom already got into Smash due to fan demand; I don't really see why Byleth had to get in to appeal to those fans. I mean is anyone arguing that Byleth appeals to a "ignored" community in Smash, especially when FE is one of the best represented series in Smash.

Joker - If the argument for why Joker got in boils down to just Persona has a dedicated fanbase, then really that opens up the gate to many series as well. It's not like the fan demand for Joker was particular insane either, he was mostly a left wing addition. I mean there are a ton of other series out there with dedicated fans, many of them being JRPGs; are they suddenly going to appeal to a new demographic just because the series has a ton of dedicated fans?

Hero - I'll give this to you. Turn based JRPG's didn't really get anything in the base game and I don't really count Pokemon as a JRPG. Same with Min-Min due to being the first series coming from the Switch.

Banjo - He appeals to a lot of older Smash players. But still we ended up getting K. Rool and Ridley to do just that, Banjo just does it even more; but he doesn't really introduce/develop a whole new/underdeveloped demographic anymore. Because people who wanted those older melee requests were treated very well just in the base game. Same with Geno.

To me it's just far more likely that Joker/Hero/Terry all got in because of legacy/popularity. While Byleth was mainly there for cross promotion and Banjo answered longstanding fan demand. Because I can't really say that the DLC so far has appealed to new/ignored demographics, when it really hasn't.

There's nothing stopping them from making the rest of this pass 4 JRPG series and 1 other series. Using your arguments we could just say that these series all have a dedicated fanbase so that they appeal to a "different" audience, and while that would be technically true; they can definitely branch out further to diversify the audience even more (but there is no evidence that they will, and looking at past precedence really tells us nothing about whether they're trying to appeal to "new/different" audiences).

TL;DR: Nintendo gonna add whoever they want and they're not really trying to appeal to ignored/different audiences too, too much. Unless you think adding any new/ignored series is appealing to different audiences.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This is going to be the final game in the series.
I can just feel it.
There won't be a Smash 6.
At most we could get a Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe (or Special like the JP ver) edition.

If Geno is joining the roster, this better be it.
in that case i am hoping smash ultimate modding community evolve like brawl

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I can just feel it.
At most we could get a Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe (or Special like the JP ver) edition.

Ahem,
this is the last SAKURAI directed Smash.
We could always get a smash 6, but with someone else in charge. Nothing bad with some new blood coming in.
There´s also a dark side to this,god forbid, a Smash bros arena fighter.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I have a theory about the bonus / echo fighters: It's almost September and we still only have/know one out of 6 fighters that we are supposed to be getting in 2020 and 2021. Maybe the development of the characters is actually more affected due to to Coronavirus than we thought and not all fighters can be finished within 2021. If this is the case, Nintendo might give away free bonus (echo) fighters) as some kind of compensation for buyers of the Fighters Pass 2 (people who haven't bought the fighters pass 2 can buy them at a normal price). Potential echo fighters - especially Nintendo ones like Dry Bowser, Dixie Kong, Hilda or Octolings - are much easier to develop and this would be a scenario which also satisfies the fans who bought the pass in advance. Maybe even one of the bonus fighters comes along with an upcoming DLC-fighter (for instance Coco Bandicoot as an echo for Crash or Miles Edgeworth as an echo for Phoenix Wright).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
when FE is one of the best represented series in Smash.

Eeh... no. Sure, it has 8 characters, but

Marth because being the first
Robin because mage
Black Knight because the most iconic villain
Byleth because weapon triangle
Corrin or Tiki for Manaketes

Would be more than enough for the series to be representative. 4 "semi clones" isn´t exactly a good way to represent the series.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m a fan of Chrom, Lucina, Ike, and to some extent Roy.... but Fire Emblem fans are pissed that half of the roster is vanilla sword users, and sort of celebrated when the weapon triangle got introduced with Byleth.

I can just feel it.

For ones, this is something we can both agree on. I can´t see them for the life of me "rebooting" the franchise...Even if they added Isaac, Skull Kid, and Bandana Waddle Dee... who would be interested in a game that has half, or dares I say a third of the content of what Ultimate has? I know that I wouldn´t be interested and I doubt majority of the casuals (which is the biggest marketing) would be too. Looks at the game and say... Why should I buy this when I have Ultimate?" I can´t see the series continue in any form than ports. Nintendo shot themself in the foot with this game, no matter if you love it or not, with Sakurai most likely gone all out with this since it was the last request he got from Iwata.

Because of this... crossing my finger to the extreme that Geno gets in, be it next, number 9 or the last of the bunch

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much how I feel now with no official news still in sight(Leaks doesn't help). I just hope Nintendo has something soon.
View attachment 282300
I don't know what it is, but seeing that spring makes me happy and nostalgic. I miss when Mario didn't have a clear identity yet and it hadn't become the sterile on brand IP that it is today. You could get away with having quirky characters that definitely fit the universe, and then toss crap like the face from the Koopa Klown Kar onto anything and it was clear that it was tied to Bowser with nothing more than that subtle smile Sigh Take me back, bros. I want to go back.

the mushroom were never a pikmin type, it was a status effect caused by the mushroom boss, it caused them to follow the boss, and attack non infected pikmin killing both of them (unless it was a red then they would win)
Yeah, I remember that. I just think it would be cool to have it be this random thing that might happen. It never came back after that game unfortunately.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I can just feel it.

This game’s sold 20 million copies. It’s not the last game lmao

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I think that might actually be a bug. When I launched the game via the executable the controls were mapped fine. B was jump, Y was the Bubble Wand, etc. Maybe you should try that.
Launched the software via the executable? What do you mean? I might be missing something, but I'm pretty sure there's only one way to launch the software.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't know what it is, but seeing that spring makes me happy and nostalgic. I miss when Mario didn't have a clear identity yet and it hadn't become the sterile on brand IP that it is today. You could get away with having quirky characters that definitely fit the universe, and then toss crap like the face from the Koopa Klown Kar onto anything and it was clear that it was tied to Bowser with nothing more than that subtle smile Sigh Take me back, bros. I want to go back.

Yeah, I remember that. I just think it would be cool to have it be this random thing that might happen. It never came back after that game unfortunately.
The image is from SMRPG game itself. Though what the box contains, I'll leave it up to you on finding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom