• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well it seems that the thread owner for RTC is just gonna ignore message, so I guess I'll post my big Geno thing somewhere else I guess...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's been awhile but on today's episode of Tinfoil Hat Time, I kind of wonder if Season 1 was done the way that it was on purpose: 5 characters that a vast majority of people didn't expect and 1 that was wildly popular. There's a side of me that wonders if they did it this way to see how much the popular characters would outsell the unexpected characters and help them determine how to go about Season 2. Given how the super popular/iconic have pretty much been the only ones that have really come up in 2020, I think the sales' gap was probably pretty significant, making Nintendo opt out of more niche picks for Season 2 and pull the lever for big fan requests. No doubt everybody sold well but I kind of get the feeling that Banjo ran away with things and wouldn't at all be surprised if at least 4 of the 5 remaining packs were big fan requests.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
i will never understand why people put Geno as the last fighter.

64 ended on Jigglypuff
Melee ended on Game and Watch
Brawl ended on wolf
Smash 4 ended on Bayonetta
Ultimate base ended on Incineroar
Ultimate FP1 ended on Byleth

Lmao. Come on guys. Stop being doomers. Geno will arrive and it will be in the middle of the pass. They aren’t ever ending on a fan favorite. It’s bad business.
It just makes sense. Geno is wanted by the fanbase but not too much. His reception will be a lot OMG, mixed with who? and oh you f26#% kidding me? wherever he is placed.
The next character will also get a harsh reception if he's revealed by himself because of the long wait from March,or June.
People often bring up how my prediction list is stuffed full of fan favorites and, like I said last November, that's pretty much been how it's been with characters heard in insider circles since 2018:

A vast majority of the characters heard have basically fallen into two categories:

-fan favorites that have been requested since at least Brawl

-characters from new companies that would be wildly unexpected by the general public

As time has gone on, the first category has gotten notably stronger while the second has gotten notably weaker. This is a big reason why I don't seriously entertain characters like Sol and Ryu anymore and now think they could be Mii costumes at best. Pretty much since last September the overarching goal of Season 2 has seemed pretty apparent: go big and bold because Smash is probably going to have a notable hiatus once Season 2 is done.
Byleth and Min Min put a bit of a pebble on your big and bold theory.
You aim for the moon on that hype rocket you have, and it doesn't even reach the stratosphere.
Nintendo zig zags a lot. I'm willing to bet that two more characters from the dlc are gonna have a meh to bad reception.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It just makes sense. Geno is wanted by the fanbase but not too much. His reception will be a lot OMG, mixed with who? and oh you f26#% kidding me? wherever he is placed.
The next character will also get a harsh reception if he's revealed by himself because of the long wait from March,or June.

You aim for the moon on that hype rocket you have, and it doesn't even reach the stratosphere.
Nintendo zig zags a lot. I'm willing to bet that two more characters from the dlc are gonna have a meh to bad reception.
Feel free to take that pessimism somewhere that isn't in this thread.

I'm not asking you to leave, I'm asking your pessimism to leave.

This is Smash DLC Speculation baby, and we have no room for that here.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But Byleth and Min-Min are their own characters so it's not only an investment in their IPs but carries significantly less risk. Someone like Hero or Terry is much more risky in the grand scheme of things than Byleth and Min-Min because Nintendo actually owns Fire Emblem and ARMS.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It's been awhile but on today's episode of Tinfoil Hat Time, I kind of wonder if Season 1 was done the way that it was on purpose: 5 characters that a vast majority of people didn't expect and 1 that was wildly popular. There's a side of me that wonders if they did it this way to see how much the popular characters would outsell the unexpected characters and help them determine how to go about Season 2. Given how the super popular/iconic have pretty much been the only ones that have really come up in 2020, I think the sales' gap was probably pretty significant, making Nintendo opt out of more niche picks for Season 2 and pull the lever for big fan requests. No doubt everybody sold well but I kind of get the feeling that Banjo ran away with things and wouldn't at all be surprised if at least 4 of the 5 remaining packs were big fan requests.
I think it would probably depend on when the characters for Fighters Pass 2 were completely finalized.

Depending on when Fighters Pass 2 was finalized, they probably only had Joker and Hero to compare Banjo with, and maybe Terry if Fighters Pass 2 still was finalized when it was announced. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they at least took note of Banjo and the positive reception to his reveal (by which point they were still choosing characters for the next wave), and decided to include one or two more characters like him in Fighters Pass 2.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
With absolutely no proof, I bet that Hero and Banjo-Kazooie were the biggest deciding factors for the majority of people getting the pass.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
i will never understand why people put Geno as the last fighter.
Brawl ended on wolf
Lmao. Come on guys. Stop being doomers. Geno will arrive and it will be in the middle of the pass. They aren’t ever ending on a fan favorite. It’s bad business.
I swear I'm the only one on the planet who was excited as possible to see Wolf get in. I don't understand how every other series seems to need their villains in to make everyone happy, but yet when they did it for Starfox, people just let out one collective -

sigh........."I guess"

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I agree that for the first Fighters Pass, Banjo & Kazooie were the pass sellers imo. As for Fighters Pass Vol. 2, with the delay it has had in revealing the next challenger packs, either CP 7 o 8 has to be the pass seller. Of course, first and foremost Geno's reveal will definitely be like a meteor crashing onto the surface of the Earth, sending an echoing roar upon his arrival; melting the ears of the nonbelievers but, I don't think he'd be the pass seller. Now Crash Bandicoot imo seems like a good pass seller so, c'mon Nintendo, pull the trigger; reveal Geno and Crash already.
:2gud:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I also find Fatman's prediction to be a little too good to be true. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up getting 2-3 characters nobody's talking about, especially since Banjo and maybe Byleth were the only ones that had much speculation in pass 1 (Yeah, a lot of people talked about Erdrick, but that's only because of posts that hinted about him being posted months before reveal; Terry only got talked about once the SNK leak happened; Byleth speculation only stopped once it seemed like pass 1 would be all third party, and even then, a lot of people expected them to kick off pass 2). I greatly appreciate Fatman's very educated speculating, don't get me wrong. I just can't shake the feeling that we'll get some unknowns. Though, I am more hopeful for popular fan picks this time around, and think we'll get 2 or 3 instead of just 1. I think at least 1 or 2 of Fatman's picks will show up

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Hypothetically speaking, say we get a SMRPG travelling stage, where would it travel to, what type of transition would be used and what would the layout and maybe hazards of the location be?
Sticking with my idea: Star Road, if it were a travelling stage, would enter various SMRPG locations through those star gates. The stage hazards would be attacks from the bosses of said area.

Forest Maze, for example, would have Bowyer's arrows coming down from the sky, and it stuns anyone they hit.

QQS

Smash Lord
With Geno and Crash the FP2 is extremely well sold I think. Geno for the hardcore internal Fan Demand like us (same as KKR and Ridley); and Crash for hardcore external (not Smash related like Geno) Fan Demand like for example Sonic or Mega Man.

Also, with Geno you fulfill the last biggest (there are more I know, but for me the bigger left) Fan Request since 2 decades ago; and with Crash you fulfill the last biggest World Mascot/Icon. On this logic you can continue my sequence with Sora, Isaac, Lloyd on the Geno side; and with Rayman on the Crash side.

Another thing is that Geno is an icon of the SNES era and the partnership between Square and Nintendo those days. Crash is the last remaining big mascot and not only rival of Mario and Sonic in the ‘90 but also front-man of PS1. We would have multiple console representations.

Bottom line is GENO & CRASH are the perfect pair right now to satisfy the World Demand, making tons of money for the companies involved and putting Smash fresh on the table once again for many years more. That double reveal (or separate reveals) would be probably the most amazing up to date, just like how Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud or Banjo were.

Note that both are from 1996. Nice coincidence. They can start the trailers with the year date maybe. Note also that this is an old school gamer with 30 years. Note also English isn’t native.

GENO AWAKENS!

CRASH SPINS!

8595C0CB-17C9-4FF6-BA85-E534EF72AA8E.jpeg

(please CREDITS to photo Artists!)

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
People often bring up how my prediction list is stuffed full of fan favorites and, like I said last November, that's pretty much been how it's been with characters heard in insider circles since 2018:

A vast majority of the characters heard have basically fallen into two categories:

-fan favorites that have been requested since at least Brawl

-characters from new companies that would be wildly unexpected by the general public

As time has gone on, the first category has gotten notably stronger while the second has gotten notably weaker. This is a big reason why I don't seriously entertain characters like Sol and Ryu anymore and now think they could be Mii costumes at best. Pretty much since last September the overarching goal of Season 2 has seemed pretty apparent: go big and bold because Smash is probably going to have a notable hiatus once Season 2 is done.

You may be onto something here but I still think there's a chance we're getting another WTF character nobody was expecting. Nobody.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
With Geno and Crash the FP2 is extremely well sold I think. Geno for the hardcore internal Fan Demand like us (same as KKR and Ridley); and Crash for hardcore external (not Smash related like Geno) Fan Demand like for example Sonic or Mega Man.

Also, with Geno you fulfill the last biggest (there are more I know, but for me the bigger left) Fan Request since 2 decades ago; and with Crash you fulfill the last biggest World Mascot/Icon. On this logic you can continue my sequence with Sora, Isaac, Lloyd on the Geno side; and with Rayman on the Crash side.

Another thing is that Geno is an icon of the SNES era and the partnership between Square and Nintendo those days. Crash is the last remaining big mascot and not only rival of Mario and Sonic in the ‘90 but also front-man of PS1. We would have multiple console representations.

Bottom line is GENO & CRASH are the perfect pair right now to satisfy the World Demand, making tons of money for the companies involved and putting Smash fresh on the table once again for many years more. That double reveal (or separate reveals) would be probably the most amazing up to date, just like how Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud or Banjo were.

Note that both are from 1996. Nice coincidence. They can start the trailers with the year date maybe. Note also that this is an old school gamer with 30 years. Note also English isn’t native.

GENO AWAKENS!

CRASH SPINS!

View attachment 282387

(please CREDITS to photo Artists!)
It could be a continuation to the E3 2006 Brawl 1st Trailer. Mario, DK, Link, Banjo, Kirby, and Sonic are all fighting on BattleField but there is a little doll in the ground and it awakens and walks around as in his 1st appearence. Mario is happy to see he back, Kirby look hyped while Sonic, Banjo, Link and Dk don't care that much and we saw that Splash Screen. "Give It A Whirl", "Whishes To Smash", "Reaches The 7 Stars", "Serves a Higher Autority", "Awakens", "Grants A Wish". Whatever it is. Then we have Gameplay, the stage is either the Vista Hill, Forest Maze or the Star Hill with Remixes or Forest Maze and Fight Against an Armed Boss.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars. September 2020.
But the cutscene continues. The showcase is the battle between Mario and Sonic but then a Portal is open and a weird orange marsipual falls. "Spins Into a Fight" or "Goes N. Sane". The stage is the N. Sanity beach and the music is a Remix of the Main Theme of Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. November 2020

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I swear I'm the only one on the planet who was excited as possible to see Wolf get in. I don't understand how every other series seems to need their villains in to make everyone happy, but yet when they did it for Starfox, people just let out one collective -

sigh........."I guess"
Wolf was an amazing finish. Love the character.

Though he was more of an anti-villain when added, but still. XD

Anyway, viva la Geno.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
I have a question: Now we do have evidence that Geno is coming. Out of curiosity, I must ask: What evidence do we have to show that Geno may be next/FP7?
I can't remember all who said so exactly, but I recall some saying because rereleases of past Amiibo's happen around the time new Fighter is released & are connected in a way, and next up for rereleased I believe are Mario, Luigi & Cloud Player 1 & 2 variants, Super Mario & Square Enix characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You may be onto something here but I still think there's a chance we're getting another WTF character nobody was expecting. Nobody.
This is another reason why I'm entertaining bonuses. Plant was essentially free for three months but was definitely a hard sell once it became $5.99. Any future WTF characters will definitely be hard sells unless they're either cheaper or come with something worthwhile. Another talking point, like Imran Khan pointed out in June, first party characters are readily available for future Smash games and, outside of echoes, do you want to know how many first party characters Ultimate has added? 7: Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Isabelle, Plant, Byleth, and Min Min; that's less than the first Smash. Note how there's only two new first party franchises too. The first had 10, Melee had 3, Brawl had 4, and Smash 4 had 6. Khan's observation is likely right and they're likely going to try to bolster those numbers.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So... just a website glitch, or a possible sign of what's to come in the next two weeks?
Oh, yes, yes, yes, YES. This points perfectly with all. Two Directs in August from Grubb, King Zell of the Lighting Strike Twice and all the hints with the Captain Tsubasa photos and Nate's words. So now we see this:
-A Indie world on the 17th with maybe some franchise revivals and some indies which Mii Costume Guy said are gonna be miis like The Knight from Hollow Knight and Cadence from Crypt of a Necrodances/Cadence Of Hyrule
-A BIG Direct to bring what should be in E3
Just wait guys because a Star Warrior is in his way. I just kinda sad that the Direct would happen in the 28th because my birthday is the 19th and I wanted to have Geno revealed before my birthday

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Leaks all aside, I think the number 1 hope I have at this point is the combination of his Mii Costume + Time.

Yes the mii costume still being missing is obvious, but the longer time has passed the more painful him just being a costume again would be.

I don't think Sakurai is evil. I don't agree with his decisions always but I think he's well aware of Geno's fans. So if Geno was going to return as a Mii costume, I strongly feel the character's deconfirmation would (SHOULD) have happened by now. If they were going to let us down, why also torture us? This was always an obvious clue that we've held onto... but I think the longer time goes by, the stronger the hope I have to hold onto it. That all being said... there's another gremlin on my shoulder reminding me Nintendo could have no issues holding out on the costume to pair a release with SNES eshop of the game, but really... that just seems grossly wrong.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap! We might be on to something, lads!
I tried it myself, it took quite a long time loading then the website crashed then refreshed to the 'Whoops' error page. So maybe either we're getting Jebaited or Nintendo caught it after the first time it happened & we're on to something.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So... just a website glitch, or a possible sign of what's to come in the next two weeks?
  • Haha yea guys I just found this website glitch that shows theres a direct for 8/28/2020 a day after it was mentioned by an insider except I actually found it a few hours ago but didn't bother to share it until now and it just so happens to not work anymore and this was apparently enough for me to make an entire throwaway twitter account because?
1460950274427.gif

Why are we giving this any attention?

EDIT: Also they had time to make this video but didn't immidiately decide to share it until hours later? Come on people.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
  • Haha yea guys I just found this website glitch that shows theres a direct for 8/28/2020 a day after it was mentioned by an insider except I actually found it a few hours ago but didn't bother to share it until now and it just so happens to not work anymore and this was apparently enough for me to make an entire throwaway twitter account because?
View attachment 282411
Why are we giving this any attention?
+5 points for the Clone High gif

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm waiting for someone with actual knowledge of this sort of thing to comment on it. It just adds to the pile of the "Fatman's a liar" trope in how people have unironically accused me of faking screenshots of DMs when I can't even make my own memes without a meme generator. I have virtually no technical prowess which is why I don't really bother commenting on things like website glitches or datamines because I really don't understand the nitty gritty of it.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm not even expecting a big direct at this point. Maybe an Indie direct and a few minis, but I'm expecting a Twitter announcement for the Mario remasters.

I'd love if Sakurai hosted a Smash direct, there hasn't been one of those in forever.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm waiting for someone with actual knowledge of this sort of thing to comment on it. It just adds to the pile of the "Fatman's a liar" trope in how people have unironically accused me of faking screenshots of DMs when I can't even make my own memes without a meme generator. I have virtually no technical prowess which is why I don't really bother commenting on things like website glitches or datamines because I really don't understand the nitty gritty of it.
The next 2 full weeks are going to make or break a lot of rumors going around, that much is certain

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I just can't believe its already mid-August. We were expecting news to come soon when it was July, and now we're doing the same thing, expecting news soon. Do you guys think we'll 100% without a doubt here something by the end of September? I feel like it's unrealistic if we don't by then. Still, the waiting has been killing all of us for such a long time.

Is it possible at all that Nintendo would forgo the holiday season without any groundbreaking releases/DLC?

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just can't believe its already mid-August. We were expecting news to come soon when it was July, and now we're doing the same thing, expecting news soon. Do you guys think we'll 100% without a doubt here something by the end of September? I feel like it's unrealistic if we don't by then. Still, the waiting has been killing all of us for such a long time.

Is it possible at all that Nintendo would forgo the holiday season without any groundbreaking releases/DLC?
Logic dictates we should have something, anything by late September.

But this is 2020. Logic flew out the window a long time ago.

link2702

Smash Champion

With what's going on, and flu season coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if nintendo takes the hit on any real major releases for holiday and prioritized employee health above all else.

I Think though that they could at least hold us all over by announcing/shadowdropping ports from wii u and some SNES games. Those don't need near the development team sizes since the games are already finished. At least it'd be something...

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I can't wait until an actual Direct gets announced and the thread is buzzing again. Right now it feels so dead in here and that saddens me.

The one or two days leading up to the partner showcase (before we knew that's what the rumored Direct was) was just awesome. There was so much optimism and jubilation in the air. Things were maybe lining up for Geno and everyone was just so excited it seemed. ...I really hope an actual Direct is announced soon so the thread can be like that again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom