• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It's Roshi, he's out next month
I already know actually, but thanks. Now im compelled to go back and Play DB Fighterz again.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ROSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~!
"b-b-but he can't fly! MASTER ROSHI CAN'T FLY HE SHOULDN'T BE IN THE GAME NOOOOOO!

This was an actual argument against Roshi, by the way, so it's fair to say ****ty logic to exclude a character isn't exclsuive to the Smash community at all.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I once saw someone say that NiGHTS couldn't ever be in Smash because they typically float and don't touch the floor. ..Y'know, just like Dark Samus.

Have there ever been any gameplay-based 'restrictions' tossed at Geno? Besides the 'he'd just be a Samus/Megaman clone' thing?

Droodle

Smash Lord
As a Crash supporter, I have to disagree with this. Just look at those Japanese Crash commercials. Japan LOVED the Bandicoot.

But yeah I agree with your mentality though. I'm honestly only expecting one more Western character at most. I'd be surprised if we would be in for even more then that.
The thing that I'm suggesting is that Crash isn't really a big household name in Japan anymore, outside of a decently dedicated but niche fanbase. I guess the best way to put it is by saying Crash WAS a big character in Japan back in the 2000's, but nowadays their are several B-C tier franchises that are more popular over there. Franchises that would probably be called "literally what" if they ever got into Smash over here. Japan hasn't had a huge Crash renaissance, and I dunno if their is any significant demand for Crash (the games) over there; like there was here. Sonic is also like that (games are far bigger in the West), but at the very least Sonic is still the face of a extremely well known company over there and has had constant media appearances since the 80's (I would probably put Mega-Man in a very similar category too).

Crash definitely in a different situation compared to Master Chief or Doomguy, which had a very niche following over there at best and were never super popular over there to begin with.

That said, that's not to say Crash (or even Chief/Doomguy) are impossible or anything (I personally think, Crash is among the most likely DLC candidates), and we already got Banjo who was in a very similar situation. It's just more so me bringing up the whole point of what's popular/known in the West isn't necessarily popular in the East and vice versa; there will probably be characters that appeal far more to one side rather than the other (like DQ and Banjo).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think people should go in expecting 5 BIG NAMES/fan favorites as the rest of this Fighters Pass DLC, because there's no real evidence to pointing such a thing. They LITERALLY started this pass off with Min-Min, who had a decent enough reception but wasn't really a fan favorite until ARMS already got confirmed into Smash.

Besides on top of that there is a ton of difference in popularity's of certain series/characters in the West and Japan. Characters like Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Doomguy dominate in the West; but not so much in Japan. Meanwhile characters like Reimu, Arle, all come from relatively successful series (currently) in Japan but aren't super big in the West. There aren't that many characters that come from series that are both popular here and in japan AND have a good amount of requests.

In the end, expect 2-3 BIG characters (series/fan requests), and 1-2 Left Field characters.
Without going on a sprawling tangent, I'd argue against this because they've repeatedly said that this season was meant to be extra and that this is indeed the last for Smash Ultimate. It makes me think of how they handled Smash 4's DLC: three heavily requested cut characters, two enormous gaming icons, a shill pick, and a literal Smash fanbase pick according to Sakurai himself. 6 of the 7 were big deals. Min Min being our "Corrin" for Season 2 wouldn't exactly shock me. Even then, people often downplay that Min Min was pretty much the most wanted ARMS character by the fans and developers so she was hardly a "eat yer ****in' broccoli" pick and literally the best choice they could have made according to both ARMs and Smash fans.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Without going on a sprawling tangent, I'd argue against this because they've repeatedly said that this season was meant to be extra and that this is indeed the last for Smash Ultimate. It makes me think of how they handled Smash 4's DLC: three heavily requested cut characters, two enormous gaming icons, a shill pick, and a literal Smash fanbase pick according to Sakurai himself. 6 of the 7 were big deals. Min Min being our "Corrin" for Season 2 wouldn't exactly shock me. Even then, people often downplay that Min Min was pretty much the most wanted ARMS character by the fans and developers so she was hardly a "eat yer ****in' broccoli" pick and literally the best choice they could have made according to both ARMs and Smash fans.
Something else to bring up is that just because a character is popular in the community, that doesn't make them a fan pick. Pass 1 seems to have made people forget this since it seemed to go out of its way NOT to appeal to the Smash fanbase aside from Banjo, but there are plenty of super popular picks that could be added for completely different reasons.

Like, would they add Crash because he's wanted by Smash fans specifically, or because he's just a super popular character in general, is having a huge resurgence, and Nintendo might want to work more with Activision? Would they add Dante because he happens to be a popular pick, or because Devil May Cry is a big name in general and is also doing really well right now? Travis because he's been requested for a long time, or because Nintendo wants to push his game? A metric ton of characters fall into this, there is an overlap between "popular in the smash community", "popular in the general gaming community" and "good for Nintendo", and it's alot bigger than people think. Honestly Nintendo would have to go out of their way to not add in a character that a good portion of the community really wants in. Obviously 5/6 DLC characters so far prove they CAN do that but still.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else to bring up is that just because a character is popular in the community, that doesn't make them a fan pick. Pass 1 seems to have made people forget this since it seemed to go out of its way NOT to appeal to the Smash fanbase aside from Banjo, but there are plenty of super popular picks that could be added for completely different reasons.

Like, would they add Crash because he's wanted by Smash fans specifically, or because he's just a super popular character in general, is having a huge resurgence, and Nintendo might want to work more with Activision? Would they add Dante because he happens to be a popular pick, or because Devil May Cry is a big name in general and is also doing really well right now? Travis because he's been requested for a long time, or because Nintendo wants to push his game? A metric ton of characters fall into this, there is an overlap between "popular in the smash community", "popular in the general gaming community" and "good for Nintendo", and it's alot bigger than people think. Honestly Nintendo would literally have to go out of their way to not add in a character that a good portion of the community really wants in. Obviously 5/6 DLC characters so far prove they CAN do that but still.
Exactly and there's kind of a lot of overlap anyways. Ryu wasn't super requested for Smash 4 but... It's Ryu, Mr. Fighting Games himself. That's honestly how I feel about Crash, Chief, and, to a lesser extent, Dante. It's kind of irrelevant if they are super requested by the Smash fanbase around the world, they're still enormous icons. Both Crash and Chief have been called rivals of Mario, a title taken very seriously and, aside from Metal Gear Solid, DMC is arguably the definitive M rated series around the world. All three of these characters are lucky to not only be heavily requested but also some of gaming's biggest stars. This is also why I've backed these characters in my predictions because they are some of the Sonic/Megaman tier third party characters that aren't in Smash yet.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Ewww, guys! it smells like non-Geno in here! Why are you all making the thread so Stinky?! Someone open a window and get back on topic!

**** the rumors! DIRECT ANNOUNCEMENT TONIGHT PLZ!

THERRES A STAAAARMAAAAAAAAAAAAN WAITING IN THE SKY!

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I think it’s possible that we could get two more Western characters. Western representation in Smash has increased greatly since Banjo. Undertale, Assassin’s Creed, Rabbids, Cuphead, Warframe & Fallout all in the past year. That’s a LOT especially compared to how few we had before. It could indicate that more western characters are coming. Though 2 is probably the maximum we’ll get.
Yeah thats fair. I guess I'm just very pessimistic, but I'd be surprised if we're in for more then one Western rep. Nintendo has always been bias towards the Japanese audience, especially given the fact that Fighters Pass Volume 1 has had three anime-looking characters (I don't count Terry since he doesn't really feel Western to me and he is based off a traditional American, and Banjo obviously is completely Western made). I still think we could be in for more Western representation, but probably in more smaller forms such as Mii Outfits, Spirits, music and AT LEAST one more Western rep.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I already know actually, but thanks. Now im compelled to go back and Play DB Fighterz again.

"b-b-but he can't fly! MASTER ROSHI CAN'T FLY HE SHOULDN'T BE IN THE GAME NOOOOOO!

This was an actual argument against Roshi, by the way, so it's fair to say ****ty logic to exclude a character isn't exclsuive to the Smash community at all.
No idea why I made these, but here they are:
MasterRoshiGeno.png
Fatmanonroshi.png

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Happy 20th Anniversary to Paper Mario N64!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Paper Mario 64 is probably the most underrated of the original three. I love that game! The gameplay is so brilliant and the characters are adorable. Whether we do get a Paper Mario remake or not, I'm hoping it's a remake of PM64.

Also, here's a picture of an Anti Guy guarding their treasure chest. Careful, we all know how dangerous these guys can be!

Original Source: https://www.deviantart.com/louivi/art/Paper-Mario-64-Anti-Guy-786454214

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet

Never Forget that C17 was added as a playable character while being an assist, the made up fan rules are so stupid lol, all hail Geno and waluigi for smash !

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I think it's been addressed a few posts back but, I thought on checking the Nintendo Maintenance schedule and, they've got three dates in which the maintenance will be for using prepaid fund cards, and using download codes on the Nintendo eShop and they all are estimated to be of 4hrs each (these are for the dates 8/24, 8/31, and 9/14). Seems like we might be getting quite a bit of content (maybe).
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's been addressed a few posts back but, I thought on checking the Nintendo Maintenance schedule and, they've got three dates in which the maintenance will be for using prepaid fund cards, and using download codes on the Nintendo eShop and they all are estimated to be of 4hrs each (these are for the dates 8/24, 8/31, and 9/14). Seems like we might be getting quite a bit of content (maybe).
The first one is Switch only and there’s a Splatoon 2 Splatfest rerun that week so it might be for that only

MattX20

Smash Hero
4 scheduled maintenance periods around the time we're speculating when FP7 releases? This might be worth keeping our eyes on

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah, Min-Min was definitely the biggest character wanted by ARMS fans and Smash fans, but let's not kid ourselves and say she was highly requested/crowd pleaser before ARMS got confirmed, because as far as I can tell ARMS didn't really do that well in Smash polls until after we already knew what was coming. And I can't really see Min-Min being a Corrin-like advertising pick either (though she does have those traits) just because Corrin's game was actually out in the last 6 months in Japan and coming out in the coming months everywhere else. Min-Min came out after ARMS had already been out for 2 years, and had already sort of "peaked". It won't be until we see ARMS 2 (whenever that is) that we'll see the effects Min-Min actually had.

Min Min was the equivalent of Byleth in that most hardcore Three Houses fans/ARMS fans thought that they would be the best representative from their game. But that doesn't make Byleth a "fan pleasing" pick to Smash fans, does it?

And I DON'T get why people think "EXTRA" means some amazing fan-pleasing 10/10 characters. "EXTRA" literally means just that, characters that weren't originally planned out for Smash Ultimate, that have another shot. These are literally all just "bonus" characters, that couldn't make it in, in the first round because of other priorities (FP 1). There isn't any subtext suggesting all of these will fulfill fan requests/dreams.

Case in point, Min-Min:
- Sakurai stated that an ARMS character would have gotten into base game if it wasn't too late, and Smash had "already been finalized". Chances are at that time it would have probably been Spring-Man since that's who they decided to AT. But after 2 years, and a "bonus" Fighters Pass; they decided to include Min Min because she rose up in popularity among ARMS fans/developers.

Min Min/ARMS was literally an "extra" fighter that missed the boat originally. Now obviously who knows what this means for another character that Sakurai admitted "missed the boat" like Rex. I would say he's likely, but I wouldn't say he's a lock or anything like that. Same with other characters that had heavy fan demand but who knows if they were even considered at all originally for Smash Ultimate (characters like Geno, Rayman, Waluigi, Isaac).

Obviously I think we should expect some fan requests/big characters in the pass. I just feel like taking Sakurai's statement of "this pass will feature 'extra' characters" as meaning that this pass will only be filled with fan requests/big series, to be conspiracy levels of reaching especially when we have evidence directly against it (again, via Min Min because yes she was a popular pick in the ARMS niche; but lets be honest the ARMS niche wasn't big until after ARMS got confirmed).

On a completely seperate note, it's looking likely that Nintendo is gearing up for Zelda/Pokemon anniversaries next year. I know people are expecting Mario to get a character to 'celebrate' the anniversary (namely Geno/Waluigi), what are the chances that we also end up getting a Zelda/Pokemon rep to celebrate their anniversary? The fact that SnS got a spirit event wouldn't really mean much if say, Diamond and Pearl remakes come out next year. Likewise, BOTW 2 seems like Nintendo "big" game for next year too, so they may cross advertise it via a Smash fighter (probably one of the champions, or BOTW 2 Zelda if she gets a combat role). I think it's fair to think that if Nintendo puts in a Smash character to celebrate Mario's anniversary, that they'll end up doing the same for their other big series' anniversaries next year (especially Zelda and Pokemon, since they're a part of the big 3 Nintendo series to many people).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Any update on that Tweet about the guy who was playing around with the URL on Nintendo's website (the one showing a direct on the 28th)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Y'know, the fact that Roshi is in Dragon Ball FighterZ now shows that even Namco listens to the fans once in a while. I'm not a huge Dragon Ball fan, nor have I ever played any of the DB games, but apparently according to some other people, Roshi was a highly requested character for that game.

Hm, what other Namco developed fighting game has one character who has been heavily requested for years?
Geno Is Inevitable.png

7NATOR

Smash Master
Y'know, the fact that Roshi is in Dragon Ball FighterZ now shows that even Namco listens to the fans once in a while. I'm not a huge Dragon Ball fan, nor have I ever played any of the DB games, but apparently according to some other people, Roshi was a highly requested character for that game.

Hm, what other Namco developed fighting game has one character who has been heavily requested for years?
View attachment 282484
As a Dragon Ball Fan, Roshi was requested, but so was Most of the DLC Characters for that game. The only characters I think were more of the niche requests were Base Goku and Base Vegeta (they were popular in Japan though), Videl, and GT Goku (People wanted Kid Goku from the OG Dragon ball, but GT Goku is the compromise)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As a Dragon Ball Fan, Roshi was requested, but so was Most of the DLC Characters for that game. The only characters I think were more of the niche requests were Base Goku and Base Vegeta (they were popular in Japan though), Videl, and GT Goku (People wanted Kid Goku from the OG Dragon ball, but GT Goku is the compromise)
So I've heard. I think that basically shows even further that Namco loves to listen to fan demand, given the amount of fan service they have been providing in this DLC

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Skyward Sword kind of adds a new dimension to Amiibo theory because the Smash Zelda rereleases do seem to be tied to upcoming Zelda announcements. The Smash Mario Amiibo rereleases obviously have to do with the 35th anniversary but, like I HMMMM'd about most of the summer, this puts a beeg spotlight on why the hell they're planning on rereleasing almost every single Splatoon Amiibo soon too.
I don't think you have talked about this yet, but according to GameXplain and NateDrake's predictions, they think a Splatoon spinoff is likely. Now I know them saying that prediction doesn't make it gospel, but if you were looking for an explanation as to what the Splatoon amiibo are for, there's a possibility.

Also do you still think something is coming tomorrow?

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think you have talked about this yet, but according to GameXplain and NateDrake's predictions, they think a Splatoon spinoff is likely. Now I know them saying that prediction doesn't make it gospel, but if you were looking for an explanation as to what the Splatoon amiibo are for, there's a possibility.

Would that spinoff be that SAVE OUR SALMONS thing teased at the start of the year?

also RedMachine123 RedMachine123 you might want to direct link the first two tweets instead of embedding, those contain swearing and you can get warned for censor dodging

MattX20

Smash Hero
With Roshi's reveal and the release date set for next month, I must ask, how often have other games that Bandai Namco have worked on had DLC for two or more of their games released in the same month?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

People implied something either tomorrow or Tuesday. Honestly, trying to pin down dates make me want to put a gun in my mouth which is why these last two months have been especially exhausting because that seems to be what most of the focus has been on. I'm more interested in the what than the when and it's been when since Min-Min...

Droodle

Smash Lord
Another thing that I recently got brought up to is that a lot of insiders like NateDrake, Grubb, Zell all think that the Mario 3D collection is going to be coming out late in September (unless plans changed last minute). I know some people here are thinking that they're holding off the Mario amiibos for Smash, but what if they're just going to be used for the Mario Collection? The hypothetical release date do match up, and it would be a neat bonus if the amiibo's gave some bonus for using them.

Of course next month could just end up being a MEGA Mario month where they use the amiibo for multiple things. But I think that the amiibo theory may end up just backing up the 3D collection in late September, early October rather than tying into a Smash announcement.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Well, someone pointed this out:

And Kelios also said that this is fake:

View attachment 282487

Source

NOTE: "quelque chose à dire :3" means "Anything to say? :3"
So basically a Direct on the 28th is possible, but the video is more or less fake. Also, is it me, or does Twitter seem to randomly decide between loading fast and loading slower than crap (when logged in)

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting a shadow-dropped mini direct tomorrow, probably a partner one. Big direct either end of this week or Tuesday of next week. Tomorrow, if there is a direct like I think, will be horribly disappointing to the majority of people and speculation will continue to stir until the big direct's eventual announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom