• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*Sees Goku immediately*

Ah, so the unwashed masses have spoken...

Also unsure of the validity of the choices for Kirito and Saber. Yes, I know they're from visual novels, but are those really games? Like really?

The rest of the choices were pretty decent, I have to say.
I think Sword Art Online was a manga or published novel first?

Fate is a video game series first. Visual Novels are just another type of video game overall. You actually do control what happens. It's not just a movie, after all.

So yeah, those are "games, really".

---------------

Getting back to Geno, I really hope we get a Boshi Spirit at the very least, even if Geno's not playable(like brought back as a costume). Like, seriously, poor guy gets little love these days.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
*Sees Goku immediately*

Also unsure of the validity of the choices for Kirito and Saber. Yes, I know they're from visual novels, but are those really games? Like really?

SAO started as a Light Novel, so it's not qualifiable as a video game for us in any way. Also, if we're talking about Kirito, can we talk about the comedy of some of the comments that are just... I mean, one of them is about how he dual wields, the other is about how he would rep Bandai Namco. Like, come on, Lloyd is a thing, and he fits both.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
*Sees Goku immediately*

Sakurai considers visual novels games (Kirito isn't from a VN though), so yes, Saber would be eligible. As far as Smash speculation goes, Saber and Reimu are kind of the Sans of Japan IIRC. At least that's what I've been told once, so I'm sure some 2ch poster/lurker could come in and prove me 100% wrong on that.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
Anyone actually buy Fighter's Pass 2 yet? I feel like that's kinda weird by Nintendo to put it up for pre-purchase and not even give a hint to any characters on it. At least for Fighter Pass 1 they announced Joker pretty early to get people hyped. I'd at least want to see one character before committing 30 bucks to a group that I may not even want.

Branching off of that I do wonder who the first Fighter Pass character will be. Seeing how Byleth was supposed to be the grand reveal and that didn't go over well with a lot of people I can't imagine Nintendo is actually putting thought into the order of the characters / wanting to get people hyped so it could really be anyone. I sorta just hope if Geno's in it he's first just so all this waiting can come to a nice conclusion as early as possible.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Anyone actually buy Fighter's Pass 2 yet? I feel like that's kinda weird by Nintendo to put it up for pre-purchase and not even give a hint to any characters on it. At least for Fighter Pass 1 they announced Joker pretty early to get people hyped. I'd at least want to see one character before comming 30 bucks to a group that I may not even want.

Branching off of that I do wonder who the first Fighter Pass character will be. Seeing how Byleth was supposed to be the grand reveal and that didn't go over well with a lot of people I can't imagine Nintendo is actually putting thought into the order of the characters / wanting to get people hyped so it could really be anyone. I sorta just hope if Geno's in it he's first just so all this waiting can come to a nice conclusion as early as possible.
Yeah, I'm not buying it until the first character gets revealed because I'd rather not go in completely blind

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh Japan ...

Sakurai: "No Goku, No Iron Man. Video Game characters.

Japan: "Ok, but what about Goku?"

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Anyone actually buy Fighter's Pass 2 yet? I feel like that's kinda weird by Nintendo to put it up for pre-purchase and not even give a hint to any characters on it. At least for Fighter Pass 1 they announced Joker pretty early to get people hyped. I'd at least want to see one character before committing 30 bucks to a group that I may not even want.

Not yet, but I plan to.

Oh Japan ...

Sakurai: "No Goku, No Iron Man. Video Game characters.

Japan: "Ok, but what about Goku?"
Well to be fair...
GokuAndChao.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I lacked the money at the time(off by 5 or so bucks), but I really want to know the first character as is.

I'll get it regardless cause I'm a completionist.

T2by4

Smash Lord
PicsArt_02-29-04.46.53.jpg

Well'p. It's officially the end of the month and both Zippo and Mandy were wrong about the general direct. Gonna give our boy Mandy another chance since Zippo also was wrong about this month. Either we getting Crash, Geno (SMRPG anniversary), Hayabusa, or some other rando. Let's hope we get some answers soon. I haven't purchased the pass yet, the first fighter well help me determine if I want to get it or not.

Also currently visiting japan for a few weeks. I'll hook ya'll up if I come across sakurai somehow.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman

I did.
The second it hit eShop.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
*Sees Goku immediately*

Ace Attorney is a visual novel

StarLight42

Smash Lord
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2020/02/26/127623.html
Here are the results, on the Japanese website.
Thanks.

A few takeaways:

-Poll seems to have a pretty small sample size, all things considered

-Geno at 15th, honestly, isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Why? Because all detractors seem to think Geno is a literal who in Japan and no one there wants him. I think this proves quite the contrary, and that we have a decent handful of Genobros and sisses in Japan, even if Geno’s support is mainly western. Sakurai has gone on record saying he’s added characters of this type in the past (mainly western demand) so we’ll see.

-Saber Artoria is a perfect example of an out of left field pick I could see. Not surprised about them ranking on here at all. Decently well liked in Japan.

-Personally, some pretty good picks around the low double digits/high single digits range. Japan really doesn't have this "awful taste" that some of us believe they have.

-Surprised by the votes for Sephiroth. Is he really that much of a popular request for Smash there? Make no mistake, I have numerous friends who love the character, but most of them don't really adamantly ask for him in Smash. Do these people see how little FF representation there is in Smash? Well, I guess Goku placed 14th so it seems like a mildly oblivious crowd of people.

-2B's high placing is a bit worrying to me. She's probably the only "rival" Geno has at this point but like I said earlier, this is a small sample size so this could just be a very dedicated group of fans advocating for her.

-Sora as #1 should come as no surprise, but I really don't think he's an obstacle to Geno at all. The way I see it, if he was to get in, he'd be one of the last characters in the pass (Fighter 10 or 11). I do believe there's a decent chance that the "recently negotiated" character was in fact Sora and not Master Chief, because Chief fans seriously undermine how unpopular Halo and first person shooters are in Japan. Again, Japan popularity isn't everything, but it's good to have a decent amount of support there, as we've seen with Banjo, K. Rool, and possibly even Geno if he makes it in.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
*Sees Goku immediately*

Kirito is not from a visual novel. He's from a light novel, THAT'S what makes his inclusion sketchy :yoshi:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Surprised by the votes for Sephiroth. Is he really that much of a popular request for Smash there?
Granted, I am a bit biased concidering I would like his inclusion myself.... But we are talking about one of the poster-boys of iconic villains and arguably the most popular FF villain of all time... Of course, there is support for him

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno being 15th is still not a bad spot to be in. Plus, Sakurai has been vocal in wanting Geno in during the end of 4's development, just before Ultimate started. I think we're in decent shape

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Do you think Geno likes Sailor Moon?

Sorry not sorry
IN THE NAME OF STAR ROAD I WILL PUNISH YOU
View attachment 263916

Offbi told me to post this.
I know I'm late to the party with this, but I saw this discussion and got inspired to draw the most horrible thing:

Yeah, so, I turned Geno into a waifu. Pretty sure I'm going to hell for this, but I'm not sorry. This is the insanity I've been driven to while waiting for Geno to finally get confirmed/deconfirmed. Might draw more of this if anyone ends up actually liking the idea.

Also, sorry I've been away for so long. I got pretty discouraged after the FP5 reveal. That, and my art buddy Griselda Griselda kinda left too, and that made me sad. Really wanted to do some fun stuff with Gepetto/Xeno... :(

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know I'm late to the party with this, but I saw this discussion and got inspired to draw the most horrible thing:

Yeah, so, I turned Geno into a waifu. Pretty sure I'm going to hell for this, but I'm not sorry. This is the insanity I've been driven to while waiting for Geno to finally get confirmed/deconfirmed. Might draw more of this if anyone ends up actually liking the idea.

Also, sorry I've been away for so long. I got pretty discouraged after the FP5 reveal. That, and my art buddy Griselda Griselda kinda left too, and that made me sad. Really wanted to do some fun stuff with Gepetto/Xeno... :(
She's actually really cute. Nicely done

Rikarte

Smash Ace

This is glorious.

T2by4

Smash Lord

C-can Genette punish me?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
-Sora as #1 should come as no surprise, but I really don't think he's an obstacle to Geno at all. The way I see it, if he was to get in, he'd be one of the last characters in the pass (Fighter 10 or 11). I do believe there's a decent chance that the "recently negotiated" character was in fact Sora and not Master Chief, because Chief fans seriously undermine how unpopular Halo and first person shooters are in Japan. Again, Japan popularity isn't everything, but it's good to have a decent amount of support there, as we've seen with Banjo, K. Rool, and possibly even Geno if he makes it in.
Just curious. Were you against whole Cacomallow leak? Because Doom is far more obscure than Halo in Japan.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just curious. Were you against whole Cacomallow leak? Because Doom is far more obscure than Halo in Japan.
Apparently it's not very obscure given Sakurai called John Carmack the father of the FPS genre. That, and he's also vouched for Geno in the past so

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno being 15th is still not a bad spot to be in. Plus, Sakurai has been vocal in wanting Geno in during the end of 4's development, just before Ultimate started. I think we're in decent shape
Sorry, but marking absence from all games for fifteen years is very close to bad than decent. I would just say hope that things turn good for him this year.

As for vocal, well, though we appreciate that Sakurai mentioned Geno,, I don't think he is consistantly vocal for Geno if we're talking about any recent interview, direct or speech. For now in Smash 5, Geno's spirit is the direct sign that shows NIntendo remember him

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I bought it as soon as it was available for purchase. I¨m a completionist

Also currently visiting japan for a few weeks. I'll hook ya'll up if I come across sakurai somehow.
I don¨t get why you would like to visit Japan with the current situation, but have a safe trip

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Apparently it's not very obscure given Sakurai called John Carmack the father of the FPS genre. That, and he's also vouched for Geno in the past so
On the other hand, Sakurai actually selected and praised Half Life 2 and Halo 2 on the same column. The same wasn't done on Doom.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

I did. Bought it a couple days after it dropped. Personally, I want to have the complete roster regardless of whatever characters they pick. Especially since it's looking like this will be the last Smash game in a while. Additionally, I had no personal connection to anyone in the first pass, but I enjoyed all of them a lot despite that. I trust Sakurai and his team enough to deliver characters that are fun to play even if the picks themselves end up being questionable (though, I have a pretty good feeling a lot of the character picks will end up being pretty strong).

Can totally get it though if people wanna hold off on it. Especially since there hasn't been an announcement on who 6th is. Let's hope these next 6 will be strong final additions and that Geno will be one of them

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Nah, Im picking and choosing which characters I want. I only buy the characters I like

Polarthief

Smash Lord
A little public advice for everyone who supports Geno here...

Remember guys, when someone tells you to stop supporting the possessed doll or any other character you like, just say "Gee, NO!"!
This reminds me of like those anti-drug/anti-peer pressure ads that try to make you think it's super hip to say no, when in reality it's just your friends offering you weed (not higher-tier stuff) and typically not pressuring you, just offering. Considering they spent most/all of their all

I did purely because while I only got 1 character I wanted in FP1, I enjoy how they all play, and they're basically all I play now. I know whatever Sakurai cooks up, I'll have 6 more not-mains-but-I'll-call-them-mains-anyway characters to enjoy, and Geno's a lock anyway, so I can't not buy it. It's not just about characters I want anymore, it's about how much I enjoy playing them, too. I even enjoy Terry (who was my previously least liked of the 5) to a great degree after giving him a try through multiple Smash sessions. He's extra fun with POWUH GUYZAH! and BUSTAH WULFF!

I'd be ecstatic if Geno is first because then I can stop tweaking about him already, though I'll probably vanish from Smashboards after throwing a few friendly posts in some other threads like the Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, and Lloyd Irving support threads.

Well'p. It's officially the end of the month and both Zippo and Mandy were wrong about the general direct. Gonna give our boy Mandy another chance since Zippo also was wrong about this month.
Mandy's been supposedly proven fake via deleting tweets though (like 2 or 3 PapaGenos videos ago, someone pointed it out to him). Zippo at least got AC dead on correct while Mandy had nothing except a few lucky guesses on Twitter. Just my two cents but I still believe in Zippo and don't at all in Mandy (mostly because of his arrogance and no one else was backing up his claims). I do think that they pushed back the direct date though. They might be wanting people to not trust leakers anymore (didn't Zippo get hit with NintenNinjas?), so they made them seem like everything they claimed is wrong so people will be surprised by the stuff they claimed. A bit tinfoil hat theory for sure, but at least it means Nintendo did something intentional to make such a ridiculously long wait for the direct instead of just... y'know, doing nothing.

I would not be sad if this was an alt costume. Also instead of "Genette", I'd name her "Jenna" because I think that's the closest female name of "Geno". Or "Jean", but I like Jenna better (names ending in A and O are usually female/male opposites).

Also just to briefly touch on the Japanese poll, like some have said, the website was one of those random crappy ad-riddled websites, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. Also just because a character isn't popular in Japan doesn't mean they won't get picked (were BK or KKR that popular over there?).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did you guys ever get your copy of Super Mario RPG new or used? In my case, it was a used copy I got for about $50 at the time from a store called Last Stop CD Shop in Marshall.
I haven't gotten a physical SNES copy of SMRPG yet, but I have Wii VC release downloaded on my Wii and I have a SNES Mini. I want a nice condition SNES copy complete in box with the manual so I'm just waiting for the right time to get it for a good price in great condition.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I haven't gotten a physical SNES copy of SMRPG yet, but I have Wii VC release downloaded on my Wii and I have a SNES Mini. I want a nice condition SNES copy complete in box with the manual so I'm just waiting for the right time to get it for a good price in great condition.
Boxed SNES games can be pretty pricey these days, so good luck on getting it

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Boxed SNES games can be pretty pricey these days, so good luck on getting it
That's true, but loose copies on their can be pricey as well. I remember walking into a 3D Games at Deerbrook Mall and they were selling a loose copy of Chrono Trigger for over $150 bucks. I thought that was crazy and some guy came up to me and said the price was reasonable and it's rare lol! It might be uncommon, but a loose copy shouldn't be worth that much in my book.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Has he praised any Bethesda games?
He has, actually! He streamed himself playing Fallout 4 for a while, and has spoken highly of Fallout 3. In particular, he praised the game's high quality DLC.

For those who aren't interested in digging through that second article to find the exact quote, I'll include that as well.
Oh, it is not as if I did not like the DLC, it is just that I do not really have the time to think. I’m too busy to work on the game and to include a maximum of content. The goal is to propose a complete and interesting gaming experience for players.

In principle, I am not opposed to the DLC. I loved those proposed for the game Fallout 3, for example.

MattX20

Smash Hero
On the other hand, Sakurai actually selected and praised Half Life 2 and Halo 2 on the same column. The same wasn't done on Doom.
He mentioned Halo 2 also? Hmm...alongside him mentioning wanting Geno since Brawl, it certainly helps Master Chief's chances.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Granted, I am a bit biased concidering I would like his inclusion myself.... But we are talking about one of the poster-boys of iconic villains and arguably the most popular FF villain of all time... Of course, there is support for him
Reread my post. Theres a difference between just being a popular character and having huge smash support, sometimes, for better or worse.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Have we ever discussed how much damage Geno's attacks should ultimately do? I'm going to guess Geno's finger bullets have a firing rate/damage rate similar to Fox's blaster

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Something I love about Sakurai and the Smash development team is their love of surprises.

Whether it was Inkling’s reveal also being an announcement for Smash, Ridley being added to Smash Ultimate after it seemed like he was straight up deconfirmed by the big man himself, King K. Rool being a fake out at the end of the August Smash direct, Joker’s reveal needs no explanation, Banjo and Kazooie reusing the same joke from K. Rool’s trailer, and (even if this wasn’t a particularly welcomed surprise) Byleth’s reveal being so hidden from insiders.

I bring all these reveals up because I feel like Geno will have something similar happen to him. It’ll be a situation that nobody expects and will totally surprise us all.

Maybe something where they reveal the Geno mii costume early on in a presentation, but he also gets revealed as a full fledged fighter at the end of the presentation? I dunno, but I’m placing my bets that Geno’s reveal will surprise, shock, and excite us all, and may even move a couple of us to tears.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
B-but guys. Zippo isn't out of the running just yet! They could still drop a Direct in the next couple hours, right? I mean, they posted about the Animal Crossing Direct at 5PM, and they have shadow dropped things before, so that can still totally happen!

In other news, it turns out I was right about not getting a general Direct in February. It made sense to have an Animal Crossing Direct around a month before the game drops since they basically said nothing about it up until then as now they have drummed up hype for people to pre-order in droves plus now they will have more engagement on the official Animal Crossing Twitter Account. That and when Zippo was rather specific about the 20th it gave a bit more credibility than just 'getting another Direct, dunno when'. Another CLASSIC case of 'Having real info and attaching fake info to it to sound more grandiose' that we have seen time and time again and yet people still seem to fall for it.

Like I said, I hope for one the first week of March, but I'm convinced at best we are looking at the second week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom