• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
https://nintendoeverything.com/game...listing-new-round-of-mystery-skus-for-switch/
GUYS, it's happening! Some new Available SKUs have popped up in Gamestop's system, and that's (I believe) always consistent with a new direct coming soon. I counted 15 of them there, which I feel like is on par with a normal Direct's worth of announcements. So it seems like we will finally end our drought of info!
Thank you baby Jesus. This drought is near it's end let's go!

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
Well, looks like we'll be getting a direct within the next couple of weeks. How's everyone feeling about Geno's chances of making an appearance? Anyone else thinking it's finally his time to shine?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
For anyone that doesn't feel like link clicking, here it is in handy tweet form

There was a problem fetching the tweet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, looks like we'll be getting a direct within the next couple of weeks. How's everyone feeling about Geno's chances of making an appearance? Anyone else thinking it's finally his time to shine?
I don't think we will see Geno. But I definitely think we will see him in the Direct after that and before E3 if Fatman's theories are correct.

Last edited:

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
I don't think we will see Geno. But I definitely think we will see him in the Direct after that and before E3 if Fatman's theories are correct.
Isn't Fatman's theory built on the rumors he heard about there being 6 post-fighter's pass characters? I'm not sure I believe those rumors. My personal hunch is that all post-fighter's pass characters will be single DLC packs, and I think Geno has a pretty good chance of being the first.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Happy 2020, fellow Genobros and Genogals. May this be the year that the Starsend Savior finally enters the fray. Definitely looking forward to new and fantastic games and looking forward to who else will be joining the fight in Ultimate. :grin:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel like we could actually see Geno in the next Direct. He would be the perfect way to start off the new wave of DLC while also being a highly requested character to please the Smash community. If he’s shown, I think he would come out in March since that’s the month of Mario RPG’s anniversary.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I feel like we could actually see Geno in the next Direct. He would be the perfect way to start off the new wave of DLC while also being a highly requested character to please the Smash community. If he’s shown, I think he would come out in March since that’s the month of Mario RPG’s anniversary.
That's exactly what I think too, but a March release might be a little too optimistic.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Isn't Fatman's theory built on the rumors he heard about there being 6 post-fighter's pass characters?
Not exactly. The Power of Six theory is a theory from a GameFaqs user and the theory is that all the Smash 4 Mii costumes were originally suppose to be in all the Challenger Packs along with Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and #75. There are still seven costumes from Smash 4 that have yet to return Geno, Chocobo, Heihachi, Lloyd, Gil, Mega Man EXE, and Mega Man X. Fatman's crafts his current theories around this one and he believes Geno and Chocobo were suppose to come with Hero originally but got moved to post Season Pass once that became a thing. It has been rumored post Season Pass DLC didn't become a thing until June when Nintendo saw how well the DLC has been selling take that with a grain of salt if you will. But yeah, Fatman mentions how there is a theme going on with the missing Mii costumes Lloyd and Gil being sword users, Geno and the Mega Mans being gun users, ect. He thinks those costumes will come back with those cert of characters related to the costumes fighter, gunner, ect.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
https://nintendoeverything.com/game...listing-new-round-of-mystery-skus-for-switch/
GUYS, it's happening! Some new Available SKUs have popped up in Gamestop's system, and that's (I believe) always consistent with a new direct coming soon. I counted 15 of them there, which I feel like is on par with a normal Direct's worth of announcements. So it seems like we will finally end our drought of info!
Freakin' FINALLY!
Pretty low, to be honest. I highly doubt he'll be FP5, and being right after FP5 seems unlikely, though not impossible. As I've said before, if we are to get Geno this year, I think our best bet will be E3 2020. The past two E3s have seen at least one highly requested character be revealed for the game: Ridley in 2018, and Banjo (Hero to a lesser extent) in 2019, so odds are good that this upcoming E3 will be when Geno comes to the game, IF he comes to the game, which I think based on what we know thus far is pretty likely.
The only time we've seen two fighters being revealed at the same time with regards to Ultimate DLC is during E3 2019, so I'm doubtful that we'll see even two new fighters revealed during this upcoming Direct.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only time we've seen two fighters being revealed at the same time with regards to Ultimate DLC is during E3 2019, so I'm doubtful that we'll see even two new fighters revealed during this upcoming Direct.
Two wouldn't surprise me but three definitely ain't happening. In no why possible I see three unique characters getting revealed in the next Direct. If it can't happen at E3 or a Smash Direct, it can't happen anywhere. And no the August Smash Direct doesn't count because three of the five characters revealed in that Direct were Echos.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well looks like we were right about the direct being next week. Now the wait begins.

Personally I think 2 reveals is almost a lock. 5 has to come out by Feb and will likely release soon after the direct if they are really are ahead of scedule. The second is because only one reveal before e3 would have a massive release gap and would honestly stand out from how even s1 was handled. 3 is a bit if a stretch and I wouldnt bet on it but its certainly not impossible, with 5 in Jan, 6 in mar/April and 7 in May or during e3 the timeframe exists. Either way even if geno doesn't show next week I think he's going to come eventually so I'm not terribly worried and if fatman is right the direct is going to great no matter what so we'll see. Excited to see what the new year and the new decade bring us.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I want to remember 2019 doh.

Legit found it as the best year of my life.
I have certain reasons for why I would rather forget 2019 ever happened.

In fact if I could just I forget the past 4 years happened i think I’d be satisfied(that’s the only hint I’ll give, but let’s get back to Geno now...)

EDIT: are we for sure it’s gonna happen next week?

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
EDIT: are we for sure it’s gonna happen next week?
Not exactly, but there's going to be both the first of the announced Splatoon 2 updates and Switch maintenance happening on the 6th (first full week of January), and we've just been made aware of some new blank Switch SKUs which are usually an indication of a new Direct happening soon, so it's pretty likely something is going down sooner rather than later.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Happy New Year, everyone!! May this year be filled with Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, and more Geno!!

Lol but seriously, let's all make it the best it can be for ourselves and everyone around us, no matter who it may be! And here's to Geno's hopeful reveal here in 2020!

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Not exactly, but there's going to be both the first of the announced Splatoon 2 updates and Switch maintenance happening on the 6th (first full week of January), and we've just been made aware of some new blank Switch SKUs which are usually an indication of a new Direct happening soon, so it's pretty likely something is going down sooner rather than later.
Plus we have the next wave of Amiibo releasing on the 17th.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
New blank Switch SKUs? When and where was this?

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
Post warned for being off-topic
Ladies and gentlemen, I had an ephipany in the shower. Now, you all probably don't want to hear thoughts that I've had while nude but this is Fatman's last crazy theory of the decade. Okay, history is repeating itself in a big way. The bad news is that this probably means that we won't be getting Season 2 until the summer/E3... BUT there will be 2-3 characters in this gap! Eureka! Let me explain...

Remember how Smash 4 was originally only going to have one bonus character (Mewtwo) until they changed their minds? They did it again! The original plan of the Fighter's Pass wasn't just going to be 5 characters... It was going to be 5 characters and a bonus! Ladies and gentlemen of the court... Who is a character that we've heard about in abundance like Mewtwo? Who is a character that was heavily rumored to be #5? Who is a character that is exceedingly popular? I think you all know the answer and it solidifies my theory on why I think they are 6!

Now, stay with me... My theory, going against all my contacts and insider friends, is that Geno is 7; why? Cacomallow is part of that but there's definitely more! Again... History is repeating itself... What would Mewtwo and 6 have in common? Usable assets, tying to my "Ren with an axe" theory almost a month ago. What was the gist of it? Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy were the first DLC of Smash 4. Why? Not only were they readily available because they belonged to Nintendo but because they were popular. If history is repeating itself, what does this suggest? We're getting Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy again, so to speak...

So, why is Geno "Lucas?" Think about it... What was the first major Smash 4 DLC Mii costume "removed" from the game? Geno! Who was the only base roster character from Brawl that was cut from Smash 4 aside from the Ice Climbers? Lucas! This also suggests why Lucas was the first character after Mewtwo... Because Mewtwo was planned all along, just like 6 now! Like Lucas, Geno would be the first "new" DLC because it's heavily implied that Mewtwo/6 would have happened either way!

So, what about 8? Who is our Roy? Coincidentally, I think it's another anime swordsman. I think it's Lloyd! Popular character with usable assets! If the Power of Six theory is to be believed, the assets of characters like Geno and Lloyd would have already been negotiated for! If the plans for Mii costumes were scrapped, this would be the equivalent of an unbaked cake. Why let that go to waste if it's available?

Now, this theory potentially supports 8 being Heihachi instead but I don't believe this for a wide variety of reasons. For starters, Sakurai himself has already stated that he had major complications implementing Tekken characters into Smash. Second, Lloyd is significantly more wanted for Smash, hands down. Third, the Tales team has heavily been involved in Smash 4 and Ultimate. Four, trademark ****. Banjo Kazooie had a major trademark buff in the fall of 2018 and their big reveal in the summer of 2019. Tales had a major trademark buff, including a new ass symbol, in the fall of 2019 and, ladies and gentlemen, history may be repeating itself and suggests Lloyd will be an E3 reveal, one of two of course (my theory being Crash as 9 to kick off Season 2 but let's stay focused, shall we?) Five, Lloyd has been heard in insider circles since last fall. Surely that means something. I could go on but I won't.

So, not does this strengthened my belief that January will have a triple reveal but that Geno will be 7, Lloyd (or much less likely Heihachi) will be 8, and Crash will be 9. This is interesting because history repeats itself in multiple ways here. In Smash 4, Ryu was the first full DLC with music and a stage. He was also the first DLC character from a "new" company because, in Smash, he's licensed under Capcom USA. If Crash really was 9, he would be the first "new company" of Season 2, Activision. Furthermore, Banjo's negotiations were supposedly started around E3 2018, for him to get a E3 2019 reveal. Rumors about Crash first came up around E3 2019... Again, history may be repeating itself.

So, uh, food for thought. I'm going to try staying off here for the rest of the day to work on the essay but Happy New Year's and hopefully my crazy theories come true.

Add in: This is my own speculation. My contacts and insider friends are still arguing over who 5 and 6 are, nevermind 7 and beyond. This is entirely me.
"Five, Lloyd has been heard in insider circles since last fall. Surely that means something. I could go on but I won't."
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice first of, please stop calling people like Hitagi insiders when they are known to have been exposed as a fraud. And still giving any thought to what someone like him once said is pointless, those claims were from late 2018, nobody even knew post-pass DLC existed (everybody speculated about it but nobody knew) and when actual credible leakers don't even know who character 5 is, do you really think a faker knows a post-pass character so far in advance when he was most likely not even planned or even decided by Sakurai yet?

Second, let's look into Sakurai's exact quote concerning Heihachi:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/
"Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?
Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”
Interviewer: Heihachi!
Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…
Interviewer: It reminds me of the reaction when Snake was from “Metal Gear” was announced."
So if we assume his statement concerning Heihachi's difficulty is permanent and can not be changed, do you also know which statement might as well also be permanent?
"There were none" as the answer to the question if there are contenders for another Bandai Namco rep. You fail to see that Lloyd most likely would have some difficulties too or else he would have been a contender already.
But actually hat's not my main point as Sakurai can change his mind about things. I bet you were adamant Ridley could never be in Smash after he was shut down for being "too big"? Or after Brawl when Sakurai said Villager was not included as it is too hard to come up with a moveset as he does nothing canonically in his games that resembles fighting? I guess we'll never see the Villager in Smash then. Or how he said Pac-Man was conaidered for Brawl but his moveset was too difficult to come up with? Yeah must totally be a death sentence for a character.
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...wl-talks-about-choosing-smash-bros-character/
But you clinch onto a quote (and only the half of the quote you want to hear and not the one about no serious contenders) that happened that originates from 2014 and was just translated into English in 2015, so it is from a time before we even got our first fighting game rep with Ryu into the game. He probably didn't even know at this point how to integrate fighting game reps at all imto Smash. You can see how Sakurai already gained experience as Terry is way more complex than the Ryu and Ken duo. Heihachi would be the next step. It's obvious how Heihachi was too difficult to be the first fighting game rep when easier to implement ones worked better as a firat step.

Third, the fan demand about Lloyd is just an echo-chamber thing. Harada himself (for who do not know him the Tekken director and since early 2019 General Manager at Bandai Namco) specifically stated that Tekken characters got way more requests than Tales or Gundam characters:
"The fans, rather than asking about Tales or Gundam or some of our other franchises, the fans abroad saw Tekken as one of the key words and took off on that," he says. "We're not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros., maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn't want, so I've been pulling back on that a bit. But I don't know."
https://www.engadget.com/2012/07/10/harada-pulling-back-on-idea-of-tekken-characters-in-new-smash/

And one last thing. Tekken selling better than Tales does matter. Besides Capcom and Microsoft whi were specifically contacted because their chosen characters were among the most wanted of their respective times we always got the best selling franchises first.
Best example: Square Enix:
First SE character we got? From their best selling series Final Fantasy.
Second SE character we got? From their second best selling series Dragon Quest.
We did not get Geno before Hero. But oh remember how you once told people how Dragon Quest will absolutely not be in Smash and we are gonna get Geno instead? I bet you'll have an as bad awakening when we get Tekken character and no Tales character:
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-290#post-22702309

Fifth the quote about Terry being it's mor important to be fun than recognizable still does not mean being unrecognizable is ok. Terry still is the face of SNK and represents them and their many fighting game series that helped form the FGC landscape. But we know it already you only know stuff from the bubble you're living in...

castinets98

Smash Cadet
"Five, Lloyd has been heard in insider circles since last fall. Surely that means something. I could go on but I won't."
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice first of, please stop calling people like Hitagi insiders when they are known to have been exposed as a fraud. And still giving any thought to what someone like him once said is pointless, those claims were from late 2018, nobody even knew post-pass DLC existed (everybody speculated about it but nobody knew) and when actual credible leakers don't even know who character 5 is, do you really think a faker knows a post-pass character so far in advance when he was most likely not even planned or even decided by Sakurai yet?

Second, let's look into Sakurai's exact quote concerning Heihachi:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/
"Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?
Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”
Interviewer: Heihachi!
Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…
Interviewer: It reminds me of the reaction when Snake was from “Metal Gear” was announced."
So if we assume his statement concerning Heihachi's difficulty is permanent and can not be changed, do you also know which statement might as well also be permanent?
"There were none" as the answer to the question if there are contenders for another Bandai Namco rep. You fail to see that Lloyd most likely would have some difficulties too or else he would have been a contender already.
But actually hat's not my main point as Sakurai can change his mind about things. I bet you were adamant Ridley could never be in Smash after he was shut down for being "too big"? Or after Brawl when Sakurai said Villager was not included as it is too hard to come up with a moveset as he does nothing canonically in his games that resembles fighting? I guess we'll never see the Villager in Smash then. Or how he said Pac-Man was conaidered for Brawl but his moveset was too difficult to come up with? Yeah must totally be a death sentence for a character.
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...wl-talks-about-choosing-smash-bros-character/
But you clinch onto a quote (and only the half of the quote you want to hear and not the one about no serious contenders) that happened that originates from 2014 and was just translated into English in 2015, so it is from a time before we even got our first fighting game rep with Ryu into the game. He probably didn't even know at this point how to integrate fighting game reps at all imto Smash. You can see how Sakurai already gained experience as Terry is way more complex than the Ryu and Ken duo. Heihachi would be the next step. It's obvious how Heihachi was too difficult to be the first fighting game rep when easier to implement ones worked better as a firat step.

Third, the fan demand about Lloyd is just an echo-chamber thing. Harada himself (for who do not know him the Tekken director and since early 2019 General Manager at Bandai Namco) specifically stated that Tekken characters got way more requests than Tales or Gundam characters:
"The fans, rather than asking about Tales or Gundam or some of our other franchises, the fans abroad saw Tekken as one of the key words and took off on that," he says. "We're not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros., maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn't want, so I've been pulling back on that a bit. But I don't know."
https://www.engadget.com/2012/07/10/harada-pulling-back-on-idea-of-tekken-characters-in-new-smash/

And one last thing. Tekken selling better than Tales does matter. Besides Capcom and Microsoft whi were specifically contacted because their chosen characters were among the most wanted of their respective times we always got the best selling franchises first.
Best example: Square Enix:
First SE character we got? From their best selling series Final Fantasy.
Second SE character we got? From their second best selling series Dragon Quest.
We did not get Geno before Hero. But oh remember how you once told people how Dragon Quest will absolutely not be in Smash and we are gonna get Geno instead? I bet you'll have an as bad awakening when we get Tekken character and no Tales character:
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-290#post-22702309

Fifth the quote about Terry being it's mor important to be fun than recognizable still does not mean being unrecognizable is ok. Terry still is the face of SNK and represents them and their many fighting game series that helped form the FGC landscape. But we know it already you only know stuff from the bubble you're living in...
JudgeHeihachi, welcome back to Smashboards. It's worth remembering that Fatman actually did say that he could see Heihachi in the Lloyd slot in this most recent post. Your argument about sales and the possibility of Sakurai changing his mind stands and I definitely think merits consideration but I don't necessarily think that Fatman is only going with Lloyd based on "the bubble [he's] living in." If we assume that the tone of upcoming DLC does ultimately prioritize characters that mean more to the Smash fanbase in particular (a big assumption, but this is speculation after all) then Lloyd definitely has a slight edge on Heihachi, to say nothing of the easier time the development team would have implementing a jrpg swordsman with existing assets. All in all, I see this as spec on spec, with two of the best in the game going at it.

The Geno thread (or at least I) thank you for your insightful theory about cut mii costumes in the first pass.

To keep this on topic, one thing that interests me about the case for Geno is that it's refreshingly not about sales figures or "merit." I agree that Tekken is probably due and I would like Hihachi to be in but not every character needs to be campaigned for analogously.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Happy New Year, my Geno guys and gals! I look forward to another year of participating with you Geno fans and hoping your dream will finally come true. I'm with ya until the end of the line! Let's hope 2020 is the year Geno gets into Smash!

Edit: Also, I just woke up like 16 minutes ago.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I wasn't here for the New Year, but Happy New Year and New Decade! Finally something to look forward to with the new SKU's.

Wasn't the last time we got an SKU list leak, a Direct happened within a week or two?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I feel it's possible but if there's only one character revealed I'm not betting on it.

If Geno is coming in 2020 I think he'll be announced in the first half of the year though.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, between the new SKUs, the Splatoon 2 update next week, and the Switch firmware update, I'm convinced there's definitely gonna be a Direct next week.
Sit tight, boyos. We got a lot to look forward to.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Time to learn about character 5, and hopefully 6 as well! (Calling it now, Waluigi is fighter 6. I know I sound like a crazed broken record but I think Waluigi will be post pass DLC and fighter 6 makes too much sense.)

D

Deleted member

SKU's wonder what they could be? Guess we'll see definetly backs a direct for next week indeed.

Very interesting!

D

Deleted member

Nine million, nine hundred eighty six thou-sand min-utes, I actually sat down and did the math. ♪
Nine million, nine hundred eighty six thou-sand min-utes, it's how long we've wanted Geno in Smash. ♪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom