• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Im not sure who this guy is in our discord but i will ask around… What I can say is that there is no such "list" of deconfirmed characters as far as I know. The characters that have been deconfirmed by both Sabi's source that I cannot name + the NoA source, both coincide in no Ryu and no Crash (which for now we think it's healthier to assume the "no" means as in not the 5th dlc pack in pass 1, we dont know if their status for later passes will be different).

I don't think 2 names really makes "a list" lol. NoA source also said no Tracer back when she was trending but i think that was… stupidly obvious to not bet he case lol, after all people were just assumming whatever comes to switch means also something to smash, a common bad habit of the smash community. Other than that we have not heard more deconfirmations at all. The Reimu leak i personally don't know where it stands now, first there was a discord person saying how it was fake, but then someone on twitter apparently analized the "evidence" and said it wasn't, honestly I do not know.

So… deconfirmed by sources:
Ryu (2 sources)
Crash (2 sources)
Tracer (1 source, still obviously not happening imo)

PERSONALLY I don't believe in that Reimu leak, but i'm not against her. I just don't think she is next (just my own speculation here), I mean… I dunno, I feel like pack 5 should be a BIG one of high demand worldwide, or a curve ball that makes you go "oh **** what is coming next now?" , but that's just my personal wish for what type of character 5 should be, lol. My personal current wishes can be seen in my signature, lol
I had figured haha. Never really believe anything outside what is said from y'all, but just in the small chance something had happened. Also ending with a BANG is probably not on Nintendo's radar...but maybe they learned? Would be great to actually get a big surprise that turns our heads.

Also StarLight42 StarLight42 , I remember that one, this one is different (kind of)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
PERSONALLY I don't believe in that Reimu leak, but i'm not against her. I just don't think she is next (just my own speculation here), I mean… I dunno, I feel like pack 5 should be a BIG one of high demand worldwide, or a curve ball that makes you go "oh **** what is coming next now?" , but that's just my personal wish for what type of character 5 should be, lol. My personal current wishes can be seen in my signature, lol
The nature of Touhou and doujins contributing to the series makes it a difficult one to judge. Allowing doujin creations to be given for Ultimate would put a lot of individuals at insider-level status (assuming they're notified that their contribution is being used) and that would require Nintendo issuing a whole butt load of non-disclosure agreements to the members of doujins. Alternatively, since only one man is a consistent creator and developer for Touhou literally anybody could claim to be a member of a doujin and spew false information.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I've been thinking up ideas for Geno's moveset, and I think I came to a point that I was pleased with. The idea is based off of his gameplay in SMRPG, which places him firmly in the low defense, high speed, long-range/zoning sort of playstyle. Of course, he has a few unique quirks since he's essentially a "Gunmage". Also incorporating a Timed Hits mechanic that works similar to Incineroar's Side Special (specifically the timing and nature of the benefit).

Alright let's do it.

-Base Attributes-
Size: Relative to Mario
Weight: Light (Around Sonic's Weight)
Fall Speed: Above Average (Around Mega Man's Fall Speed)
Ground Speed: Fast (Around Meta Knight's Run Speed)
Air Speed: Fast (Around Inkling's Air Speed)

-Attacks-
Standard Attack: Geno does a straight punch, followed by a palm strike with the other hand, which then stays out as his fingers release a small blast of fireworks for a third hit. If the button is mashed, instead of a fireworks release, it turns into a rapid-fire bullet Finger Shot similar to Inkling's flurry.

Side Tilt: He shoots forward a single rocket punch, which explodes and deals more damage with a Timed Hit.

Up Tilt: A spinning uppercut that brings Geno into the air (think Olimar's up tilt but it hits once).

Down Tilt: A horizontal swipe chop, similar to Greninja's down tilt, sends more away than up.

Side Smash: Geno points both arms forward which turn into rifle-looking guns and fires out a burst of stars.

Up Smash: Geno swings both arms upwards, which hits both sides. Once his arms are straight up they both shoot out as a Double Rocket Punch. When the punches shoot out, a Timed Hit deals more damage and knockback.

Down Smash: He spreads his hands to both sides and releases a low-aimed Shotgun spread to launch foes away.

Neutral Aerial: He spins his arms in a vertical circular pattern all while firing his finger shots. Imagine Bayo's neutral air with guns firing.

Forward Aerial: He bends his arm and a small cannonball shoots out.

Back Aerial: He turns and points both arms behind him and fires a double rocket punch, deals more damage and knock back with Timed Hit.

Up Aerial: Geno flips upside down and fires another double rocket punch attack, which propels him downward (like Ivysaur's up air but with a greater distance traveled). Timed Hit does more damage and knockback.

Grab: Geno reaches out with one arm.
Pummel: Gut punches with his other arm.

Forward Throw: With an uppercut from Geno, which turns out to be his arm merely retracting back for his Hand Cannon, he shoots a small cannonball at point-blank that sends the enemy away.

Up Throw: He tosses foe above him and sprays them with a handful of hand gun bullets.

Back Throw: Geno spins the foe and chucks the enemy away. Think Mario/Wario/Banjo's Back throw. (Thanks @Maxie )

Down Throw: Slams the enemy to the ground and sprays them with bullets before they launch (Imagine Ness, Zelda, Fox, and Falco's down throws).

-Specials-
Neutral Special: Geno Beam. A Three-stage charge attack that requires all three stages in order to fire. Charge may be canceled to retain the charge accumulated, but the charges are measured by stars. When fully charged, Geno fires a horizontal beam that has the relative length and multi-hitting function of Robin's Thoron.

Side Special: Geno Whirl. Geno throws a really quick light disc that travels a moderate distance. The attack travels very quickly, but has a Timed Hit where it does a lot of damage. If the Timed Hit doesn't activate, it does mediocre damage. Lots of end lag.

Up Special: Spinning Flower Launch. You know those spinning flowers in SMRPG that shoot you in a direction when you jump on them? Yeah, those. Geno gets flung a decent distance both upward and forward from the flower.

Down Special: Geno Boost. Probably the most busted tool in his kit. Similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, Geno accumulates a generous power boost after a short casting time. It also has a Timed hit that grants him a boost to his defense, (which greatly reduces knockback received and moderately reduces damage taken). It lasts a decent amount of time, and is what makes Geno very dangerous when used regularly. He has a limit to how frequently he can use it, similar to Palutena's Lightweight Special from Sm4sh. A visual indicator signifies when Geno can boost his stats again.

Final Smash: Geno Blast and Flash. Geno morphs into a cannon that fires a shot that creates a big, bright explosion. All caught in the explosion up end in a cinematic where they fall onto Star Hill. Geno walks forward and swings his hands downwards towards them as they're bombarded by a rainbow of light beams from the sky.

-Taunts-
Geno turns fully toward the screen., folds his arms, and nods while the words "Thank You!" Flash above his head while a zippy-sounding whistle noise plays.
Geno turns his head and looks at the camera while he raises a single hand which spins mechanically before he stops with a clenched fist.
Geno raises both hands toward the sky as a bright blue star image overlays him briefly.

And that's pretty much my moveset for Geno. Thoughts?

Edit: Revised the Geno Beam to be more like Robin's Thoron instead of Palutena's Up Smash.
Edit 2: Changed Back Throw upon suggestion to be like Mario's because why the heck not?!
Pretty good moveset. I think this is the first proposed moveset for Geno wherein his Up-Special is something from the actual game and I gotta say, I really like it. Though I think you should be able to angle it a bit a la Rosalina's Up-Special.
I also made a moveset for Geno, if you're interested.
https://smashboards.com/threads/gen...i-discord-poll.446378/page-1511#post-23603157

link2702

Smash Champion
you know i saw a topic earlier today that actually made me wonder what will happen here when/if geno is revealed....

They mentioned about how all the character discussion boards are more or less dead, and someone pointed out that most folks just go on twitter, discord, or some other place like reddit to discuss their characters more, and it made me wonder....how many here are actually gonna stay on the geno board? Will anyone discuss how to handle certain matchups? or the social board? or videos of Geno highlights?

Or will it all just be regulated to discord and the actual board for the character show virtually no activity.

Cuz one thing is for sure, that post i saw from earlier today did seem eerily true, at least for many of the characters I use. Ganondorf boards rarely have any activity compared to what it was during brawl and 4's days, and the sad part is he's waaaay better this time than in the previous games, yet there's virtually no discussion on the boards for him. Same with the Link boards last I checked em, and the Y.Link ones.

It'd kinda suck if everyone here who have been so focused on getting Geno in, soon as he's in just kinda abandons the character board created just for him and sticks only to Discord, or some notable users just vanish altogether..... Not only that, but as far as having Geno's metagame evolve, it'd be probably better if all tactics, tricks, setups, matchups, etc., were kept up to date and discussed here, since that's another thing I've noticed. The boards that are dead for characters don't exactly keep info as up to date as it should be.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Pretty good moveset. I think this is the first proposed moveset for Geno wherein his Up-Special is something from the actual game and I gotta say, I really like it. Though I think you should be able to angle it a bit a la Rosalina's Up-Special.
I also made a moveset for Geno, if you're interested.
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-ha-ha-geno-1-in-multi-discord-poll.446378/page-1511#post-23603157
The inspiration for the up special was a cross between Mega Man/Banjo/Sonic Up specials and Rosalina's up special. So, I'd assume it's angle would be adjustable.

Also, having just now read your moveset, I noticed there are a lot of similarities. Interesting how that works out, yes?

HOLY CRAP I DIDN'T ADD A DASH ATTACK.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I honestly dont see that happening. I feel like revealing 4 costumes that does not have anything to do with them would be weird. Like lets say crono gets in. His mii costume reveal would waste four slots on outfits that have nothing to do with him over potential new ones. Like it makes more sense to just bring back geno and chocabo with other new outfits rather then waste 2 more slots for costumes that have nothing to do with crono. So all and all I believe this leak is either real and we are getting geno or its just fake and thats it.
I don't think there are any slots when it comes to Mii Costumes. They seem pretty easy to make, so they wouldn't be wasting any slot if that were to happen since they're probably making as many Mii Costumes as they want.

I get what you mean but Sakurai does things to the beat of his own drum when it comes to decisions and releasing stuff. I also don't think they put that much into planning these so they don't care if it make sense or not.

D

Deleted member

you know i saw a topic earlier today that actually made me wonder what will happen here when/if geno is revealed....

They mentioned about how all the character discussion boards are more or less dead, and someone pointed out that most folks just go on twitter, discord, or some other place like reddit to discuss their characters more, and it made me wonder....how many here are actually gonna stay on the geno board? Will anyone discuss how to handle certain matchups? or the social board? or videos of Geno highlights?

Or will it all just be regulated to discord and the actual board for the character show virtually no activity.

Cuz one thing is for sure, that post i saw from earlier today did seem eerily true, at least for many of the characters I use. Ganondorf boards rarely have any activity compared to what it was during brawl and 4's days, and the sad part is he's waaaay better this time than in the previous games, yet there's virtually no discussion on the boards for him. Same with the Link boards last I checked em, and the Y.Link ones.

It'd kinda suck if everyone here who have been so focused on getting Geno in, soon as he's in just kinda abandons the character board created just for him and sticks only to Discord, or some notable users just vanish altogether..... Not only that, but as far as having Geno's metagame evolve, it'd be probably better if all tactics, tricks, setups, matchups, etc., were kept up to date and discussed here, since that's another thing I've noticed. The boards that are dead for characters don't exactly keep info as up to date as it should be.
I remember a time, long, long ago, when this site was the hub of competitive character discussion and it makes me sad to think that it's all been relegated to discord servers. Message boards like this are much more useful for cataloging knowledge than something as passive as a chatroom, and while I can hope that folks from this thread will continue to hang out here and develop Geno's metagame... I think everyone's going to just vanish after we've gloated for a while. That's life!

Be happy that we'll have the chance to gloat, rather than sad about what comes after.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

The Banjo support Thread is still semi-active as a social. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it. That's the end of a long and grueling fight, if Geno gets in. You bet your ass a lot of us dedicated members will stick around to at least see Ultimate through its DLC cycle, though. But that's just the way it goes. The majority of this thread was rolled out without my activity, but back in the days of Project M I was pushing for Geno to be added by the dev team (At the time we thought a fan made installment was his best shot). In a way it was really cool for me to hop back on Smashboards and see so many people still rallying for Geno after all this time.

I don't even really know what I'm getting at. I guess my point is, things happen naturally. Let them happen, and enjoy what you can.

QQS

Smash Lord
Another good reason for Geno to be playable, is that there is a tendency of “back to basics” and old school stuff, such as Mega Man, Pac-Man, KKR, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie. Also, it’s will add another cartoonish character. I personally don’t want Smash to be full of “human based” characters; but I love the whole roster and the game is already perfect. I just want Geno to fully fulfill my wishes on the game.

Hope they announce the next direct soon, Geno reveal is coming 100% for me!

Geno joins the party!
Geno gets the show on the road!
Geno follows Smash route!
Geno stars in!
Geno serves a higher authority!
Geno has been possessed again!
Geno squares in!
Let’s play Geno!
Geno finds another star!
Geno returns!
Geno’s awakening
Geno AWAKENS!

EB2F944E-3BDD-4716-8ECE-1F397821A960.jpeg

(Credits on the photo to AyamiKGarcia on Deviant Art). :)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Another good reason for Geno to be playable, is that there is a tendency of “back to basics” and old school stuff, such as Mega Man, Pac-Man, KKR, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie. Also, it’s will add another cartoonish character. I personally don’t want Smash to be full of “human based” characters; but I love the whole roster and the game is already perfect. I just want Geno to fully fulfill my wishes on the game.
It's funny how divisive the whole Anime Swordfighter vs. Cereal Box Mascot notion seems to be these days aha. I too love cartoony characters, funny how Smash 4 seemed to threaten their dominance on the roster lol.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Im not sure who this guy is in our discord but i will ask around… What I can say is that there is no such "list" of deconfirmed characters as far as I know. The characters that have been deconfirmed by both Sabi's source that I cannot name + the NoA source, both coincide in no Ryu and no Crash (which for now we think it's healthier to assume the "no" means as in not the 5th dlc pack in pass 1, we dont know if their status for later passes will be different).

I don't think 2 names really makes "a list" lol. NoA source also said no Tracer back when she was trending but i think that was… stupidly obvious to not bet he case lol, after all people were just assumming whatever comes to switch means also something to smash, a common bad habit of the smash community. Other than that we have not heard more deconfirmations at all. The Reimu leak i personally don't know where it stands now, first there was a discord person saying how it was fake, but then someone on twitter apparently analized the "evidence" and said it wasn't, honestly I do not know.

So… deconfirmed by sources:
Ryu (2 sources)
Crash (2 sources)
Tracer (1 source, still obviously not happening imo)

Doujin leak smells like a huge load of nonsense to me. ZUN did collaborate with fans when making the OSTs for the newest fighting games so Nintendo doing the same with Smash wouldn't be all that too far-fetched buuuuut:
-why would they give this much music to just one circle?
-why would someone from that circle just casually admit that they're working on Smash AND drop the entire track list?
-why would Nintendo not do anything about it?
Yeah, it hasn't been debunked yet but I see absolutely no reason to believe any of it. The only leaks right now I'm putting any sort of stock into are the FP5 deconfirms and mayyybe the Mii costume list.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it hasn't been debunked yet but I see absolutely no reason to believe any of it. The only leaks right now I'm putting any sort of stock into are the FP5 deconfirms and mayyybe the Mii costume list.
I'm putting the same logic behind Reimu that I put behind KOS-MOS: Fatmanonice has said that both of them are /v/ trying to will the character into existence. If it had just been Reimu or just been KOS-MOS, I would suspect him of misdirection, but since it's two characters, I feel like it becomes less likely to be misdirection and more a statement of fact: nothing he knows points to either of them being #5 more than the list of possible characters his connections have been told, and they are very specifically the product of funposting.

Don't get me wrong, Touhou is cool, I'm a sucker for bullet hells and I really really would enjoy the fallout from Reimu or any other Touhou girl getting into Smash. I just think that when you have a particular board rallying behind a certain character, when that baord is well known for outright fabrications regarding Smash, along with a tertiary insider basically saying "it'll always be fake", seeing leaks turn up with that character is just textbook weak trolling.

Hopefully, as Geno supporters, we won't have to deal with this fact for long, but as a speculation community, we are going to have to deal with the fact that Nintendo has really and truly plugged all the leaks, save for some extremely cautious insiders (who are understandably so). As it stands aside from Hero (debatable, honestly...) and Terry (way2go, Nintendo), not a single DLC character has leaked earlier than a day from their reveal. If Sabi's big boy source knows the final fighter, even they probably won't let the cat out of the bag until the day before we'd know anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Looks like Nazyrus Nazyrus already covered it but, yeah, there's no "list." If anything, what I mentioned the other day is basically characters that have 1. been mentioned enough behind the scenes over a long period of time that there's a decent chance that there's something up with them or 2. have been specifically brought up by especially noteworthy people. Like Nazyrus said, aside from "no Ryu or Crash for #5" and probably flatout "no Tracer", there's no official list, just 4 or 5 characters that seem relevant and possible in the future based on what has been heard and aren't being publicly speculated on to avoid potential problems and drama.

D

Deleted member

Looks like Nazyrus Nazyrus already covered it but, yeah, there's no "list." If anything, what I mentioned the other day is basically characters that have 1. been mentioned enough behind the scenes over a long period of time that there's a decent chance that there's something up with them or 2. have been specifically brought up by especially noteworthy people. Like Nazyrus said, aside from "no Ryu or Crash for #5" and probably flatout "no Tracer", there's no official list, just 4 or 5 characters that seem relevant and possible in the future based on what has been heard and aren't being publicly speculated on to avoid potential problems and drama.
Do you know how long that Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crash has been in insider circles?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Doujin leak smells like a huge load of nonsense to me. ZUN did collaborate with fans when making the OSTs for the newest fighting games so Nintendo doing the same with Smash wouldn't be all that too far-fetched buuuuut:
-why would they give this much music to just one circle?
-why would someone from that circle just casually admit that they're working on Smash AND drop the entire track list?
-why would Nintendo not do anything about it?
The story he brought with the leak is that the Touhou doujin circle community is very lax with secrecy and upcoming information of Touhou related stuffs are casually talked about inside that very bubble. They just don't usually reach out to doujin fan communities then spreads out everywhere else crazy since Touhou fans (or any other game fans imo) aren't really into "leaks" like smash community does.
The leaker never said the tracks are all getting remixes by a single doujin circle. He just said that he knows it's to do with smash because there is a rumor of one specific doujin circle working for smash remixes. Seemingly there are other rumors too like presence of Yukari and Seirensen for the stage. But the leaker himself isn't really sure for those rumors and saying 70% fake. Because those rumors are could just be for another Touhou fighting game in development. So people asked him what makes him think that the rumors are indeed for smash then he spilled that doujin music leak with almost name dropping the said doujin circle. And the amount of tracks he is hearing makes him believe Reimu is an actual playable fighter not a Mii costume.
The reason I find this leak interesting is that the leaker said before that he has his own doujin circle and sometimes publishes Touhou doujinshi. The whole plot of this doujin leak is coming from his backstory he made back in August. That's why him name dropping a doujin circle was stupidly risky move. If he really has friends in doujin circle community then he's screwed. This leak isn't spreading much outside of 5chan smash threads at least in Japan so may be he is safe for now but I'm simply curious how this drama turns out (and I know I sound like a douchebag).

D

Deleted member

Ryu- Last December-ish.
I find this interesting, since like I may have mentioned before, I never saw Ryu seriously speculated until the VGA because Team Ninja had an announcement (that I think turned out to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance?) and that was purely /v/ hypeposting. I have to wonder how much "insider" information is actually insider in nature.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Probably for the best, we don't need anymore leaks. We can all just wait since Terry is around the corner.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I find this interesting, since like I may have mentioned before, I never saw Ryu seriously speculated until the VGA because Team Ninja had an announcement (that I think turned out to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance?) and that was purely /v/ hypeposting. I have to wonder how much "insider" information is actually insider in nature.
There have been a number of people who have mentioned him but, as I've explained before, like with Steve it may ultimately amount to nothing. That's part of the reason not everyone heard is being made public, people can be misled or flat out wrong and some people are kind of wondering that about Ryu right now: is he coming later or were people jebaited?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm putting the same logic behind Reimu that I put behind KOS-MOS: Fatmanonice has said that both of them are /v/ trying to will the character into existence. If it had just been Reimu or just been KOS-MOS, I would suspect him of misdirection, but since it's two characters, I feel like it becomes less likely to be misdirection and more a statement of fact: nothing he knows points to either of them being #5 more than the list of possible characters his connections have been told, and they are very specifically the product of funposting.

Don't get me wrong, Touhou is cool, I'm a sucker for bullet hells and I really really would enjoy the fallout from Reimu or any other Touhou girl getting into Smash. I just think that when you have a particular board rallying behind a certain character, when that baord is well known for outright fabrications regarding Smash, along with a tertiary basically saying "it'll always be fake", seeing leaks turn up with that character is just textbook weak trolling.

Hopefully, as Geno supporters, we won't have to deal with this fact for long, but as a speculation community, we are going to have to deal with the fact that Nintendo has really and truly plugged all the leaks, save for some extremely cautious insiders (who are understandably so). As it stands aside from Hero (debatable, honestly...) and Terry (way2go, Nintendo), not a single DLC character has leaked earlier than a day from their reveal. If Sabi's big boy source knows the final fighter, even they probably won't let the cat out of the bag until the day before we'd know anyway.
Doujin leak didn't say anything about KOS-MOS though? I think you're mixing things up with the drunk cat leak. The doujin leak was made by an anonymous 5chan poster who "leaked" the Touhou 15.5 Switch port as well as Touhou 17.5 concept art and it listed a bunch of songs that are supposedly coming to Smash. Like I said, probably bs
And since you mentioned it: just because a character is getting ****posted about on 4chan doesn't mean that people are trying to "will them into existence". Not a KOS-MOS supporter so I can't speak for her but Reimu has a ton of people who geniunely want her in. Our Discord server is sitting at around 700 members right now and the ReimuForSmash Twitter has over 2k followers.

The story he brought with the leak is that the Touhou doujin circle community is very lax with secrecy and upcoming information of Touhou related stuffs are casually talked about inside that very bubble. They just don't usually reach out to doujin fan communities then spreads out everywhere else crazy since Touhou fans (or any other game fans imo) aren't really into "leaks" like smash community does.
The leaker never said the tracks are all getting remixes by a single doujin circle. He just said that he knows it's to do with smash because there is a rumor of one specific doujin circle working for smash remixes. Seemingly there are other rumors too like presence of Yukari and Seirensen for the stage. But the leaker himself isn't really sure for those rumors and saying 70% fake. Because those rumors are could just be for another Touhou fighting game in development. So people asked him what makes him think that the rumors are indeed for smash then he spilled that doujin music leak with almost name dropping the said doujin circle. And the amount of tracks he is hearing makes him believe Reimu is an actual playable fighter not a Mii costume.
The reason I find this leak interesting is that the leaker said before that he has his own doujin circle and sometimes publishes Touhou doujinshi. The whole plot of this doujin leak is coming from his backstory he made back in August. That's why him name dropping a doujin circle was stupidly risky move. If he really has friends in doujin circle community then he's screwed. This leak isn't spreading much outside of 5chan smash threads at least in Japan so may be he is safe for now but I'm simply curious how this drama turns out (and I know I sound like a douchebag).
Oh, thank you for the clarification/correction then! I'm still not putting much stock into it though.

D

Deleted member

Doujin leak didn't say anything about KOS-MOS though? I think you're mixing things up with the drunk cat leak. The doujin leak was made by an anonymous 5chan poster who "leaked" the Touhou 15.5 Switch port as well as Touhou 17.5 concept art and it listed a bunch of songs that are supposedly coming to Smash. Like I said, probably bs
And since you mentioned it: just because a character is getting ****posted about on 4chan doesn't mean that people are trying to "will them into existence". Not a KOS-MOS supporter so I can't speak for her but Reimu has a ton of people who geniunely want her in. Our Discord server is sitting at around 700 members right now and the ReimuForSmash Twitter has over 2k followers.
I brought up KOS-MOS because she and Reimu share Fatman's comments. I'm taking his opinion on the nature of the characters to mean that of the 4 or 5 characters they've heard, Reimu and KOS-MOS ain't one of them.

I'm not questioning the legitimacy of Reimu or KOS-MOS supporters, I know they have sincere fans. The only character I've ever thought was 1000% pure funposting was Steve.

Latyon

Smash Cadet
I brought up KOS-MOS because she and Reimu share Fatman's comments. I'm taking his opinion on the nature of the characters to mean that of the 4 or 5 characters they've heard, Reimu and KOS-MOS ain't one of them.

I'm not questioning the legitimacy of Reimu or KOS-MOS supporters, I know they have sincere fans. The only character I've ever thought was 1000% pure funposting was Steve.
Hey man, that ain't right. Steve has incredible potential.

But yeah, he is ugly as sin.

Still. Minecraft stage could be a lot of fun.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice when do you think we will get the next Nintendo Direct or character reveal in November?
There's very strong confidence in Terry coming in the first half of November. A ton of people reported on it but, in case anyone missed it, people noticed this weekend that Nintendo tried to sneakily update the Smash Bros YouTube page over the weekend. The downside is that even people like VRplant looked into it and couldn't figure out what they did, meaning it was either something super minor or Nintendo's actually learning and doing more to cover its tracks.

As for #5, I feel like Terry's presentation won't be straight forward. Based on my own speculation, I feel like either #5 will be revealed at the tail end or they'll pull a Cloud and announce a Smash Direct for December. Either way, I'm not expecting Terry to just bring Terry because, based on how things look right now, there probably won't be a general Direct until January so I feel they'll want to give fans something to gnaw on.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is too unrelated to Smash/Geno, but I'm just curious about y'all's opinions on this as I think some people might have some cool ideas. I really enjoy crossover games especially Smash and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and I kind of understand why they don't do them more and how it requires a really specific concept with excellent execution to work, but I wish they would do more like them. What kinds of Nintendo crossover games would you guys like to see if you could have any that you'd want regardless of how realistic they are? Or even just new game styles for existing games?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's very strong confidence in Terry coming in the first half of November. A ton of people reported on it but, in case anyone missed it, people noticed this weekend that Nintendo tried to sneakily update the Smash Bros YouTube page over the weekend. The downside is that even people like VRplant looked into it and couldn't figure out what they did, meaning it was either something super minor or Nintendo's actually learning and doing more to cover its tracks.

As for #5, I feel like Terry's presentation won't be straight forward. Based on my own speculation, I feel like either #5 will be revealed at the tail end or they'll pull a Cloud and announce a Smash Direct for December. Either way, I'm not expecting Terry to just bring Terry because, based on how things look right now, there probably won't be a general Direct until January so I feel they'll want to give fans something to gnaw on.
I expect fighter #5 to be announced when Terry drops and fighter #6 at the VGA as crazy as that sounds.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I expect fighter #5 to be announced when Terry drops and fighter #6 at the VGA as crazy as that sounds.
There seems to be two camps when it comes to the VGAs and Smash: "sure, why not" and "no, too many people are already expecting it." I understand the point of view of the second because Nintendo did go to some goofy lengths to keep Joker a secret, including the biggest attempt to leakbait their own staff in recent history. I guess it boils down to whether or not Nintendo cares or not if people are full on expecting it this time around.

D

Deleted member

Super optimistically I like to assume they'll pull more Smash at the VGA, but I don't think the odds there. It probably costs a fair bit to pull what they pulled with Joker, and given Nintendo's history with the VGA, it really worked for a reveal like Joker - we really never saw it coming. I don't think they could top it without showing off Master Chief. Definitely not the kind of venue you show Geno, and especially not any Nintendo character unless you have a new game coming along with them that the world has been waiting with bated breath for.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is too unrelated to Smash/Geno, but I'm just curious about y'all's opinions on this as I think some people might have some cool ideas. I really enjoy crossover games especially Smash and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and I kind of understand why they don't do them more and how it requires a really specific concept with excellent execution to work, but I wish they would do more like them. What kinds of Nintendo crossover games would you guys like to see if you could have any that you'd want regardless of how realistic they are? Or even just new game styles for existing games?
Something that I would be really ecstatic about would be more Mario Kart crossovers. Loved the direction they took with the MK8 DLC and considering the things they have added in MK8DX I think Nintendo continuing this trend is more than realistic. Maybe add some 3rd party stuff too? Would be amazing to see a Wily's Castle track for instance. And who knows? Maybe in 10 years we're still sitting here speculating about which character could make it into Mario Kart 13, haha

D

Deleted member

Exactly what I'm expecting. Fighter #5 is likely close to being completely finished right now while #6 is probably in development as we speak.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Honestly, I like being in the dark on #5. I want the end to be a surprise. I mean, I'd love to know if/when Geno was coming but I'm ok with not knowing #5 (unless, you know...).

Also, about the video thing on the YouTube, have any of you considered it's just the gameplay video of Terry for the website?... (Do they still do those...?)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Honestly, I like being in the dark on #5. I want the end to be a surprise. I mean, I'd love to know if/when Geno was coming but I'm ok with not knowing #5 (unless, you know...).

Also, about the video thing on the YouTube, have any of you considered it's just the gameplay video of Terry for the website?... (Do they still do those...?)
They don't seem to do that any more - Piranha Plant is the only DLC character that has one. The pages for the other DLC characters just lists their announcement trailer and some screenshots.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Oh man, the minute I stop paying attention to this thread and Fatman’s back and delivering juicy details and speculation. This place moves too fast for me sometimes!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I expect #5 to be a big reveal and someone who not too many people have expected. Not sure if the character will be as big of a surprise as Joker, as it'll be very difficult to match the surprise factor of his reveal.

Now that I think about it, there's a pretty good chance it might be a second trailer for Terry. In his reveal trailer there wasn't any gameplay and it ended with "Now in Development" (we did get a small sample of gameplay of him near the end of Banjo's presentation). So I think the recent activity on the Smash Bros. channel is Terry's official gameplay trailer that'll be shown off at the beginning of the presentation video (which will be uploaded on Nintendo's channel of course).

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Here's how I think it'll play out:
- Terry presentation coming early November.
- Begins with a proper Terry trailer like they did with Joker.
- Sakurai sitting like a snack. Details who Terry is and where he comes from, basic background stuff.
- Goes through Terry's moveset. Like Ryu and Ken, he will always face his opponents in 1v1 fights, and has command imputs for his moves.
- This is followed by a quick stage showcase, then a demonstration of Terry fighting. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that it'd be a 3v3 Squad Strike, referencing KoF's 3v3 tag-team mode. Done on Terry's KoF arena stage, and all of the fighters on Sakurai's side would be Terry.
- Goes a bit more in-depth on the stage, mostly focusing on the background details and cameo characters.
- Music showcase, lots of good tracks, approximately 8.
- Version 6.0.0 update is detailed, which comes with at least one new thing.
- The next wave of Mii Fighter costumes is showcased. There will be 5 costumes in total, and all of them will be based on fighting game characters. These costumes are:
Mai Shirunai (Mii Brawler)
Geese Howard (Mii Brawler)
Chun-Li (Mii Brawler)
Jacky & Akira, returning from Smash 4.
Heihachi, also returning from Smash 4.
- The newest wave of amiibos is showcased.
- At the end, Sakurai announces that there will be a one year anniversary Smash Direct on the 7th of December.
- There is no reveal at the VGAs, but Sakurai (or someone else from Nintendo) will be there to remind everyone to watch the Smash Direct on the 7th.
- The Direct will mostly be focused on discussing the lead-up to Smash Ultimate's release, with different staff members chiming in to talk about different stuff, ranging from characters to stages, to even the fan's reactions to all this. At the end, there will be a trailer for the 5th and final DLC fighter for the Fighter's Pass, which comes out in February.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom