• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, Ura Ura , how would you feel about Edelgard coming with an army command feature, when it's something that would have benefitted Andy for a hypothetical Smash debut?

Truth be told, I would laugh like a madman if he is correct after all this to be perfectly frank
Me too! I can't emphasize how tired I am of the misconceptions in regards to Reggie's VGAs quote. And I want both Geno and Edel anyway, so it's a win-win.

Corrin are using dragon attacks.
Manakete, rather. In any case, the Edelgard thread did explain in length the stuff in Three Houses that would help to make her stand out. Besides axe, just sayin".

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Umm... (clears throat)

Would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me where Sakurai said this.
He never said it, no. He did say that they had a 'surplus of funds' in one interview, and whenever questioned about DLC development, he says development is going insanely well, moreso than the general public seems to imagine (i.e. the Hero and Banjo situation). After all, when Hero and Banjo were revealed, they were both looking damn near complete, and Sakurai later confirmed that. I'd say that characters 4 and 5 are in development now, so to be about halfway to February with three characters nearly done or completely done (B-K may be done and just held off for play-testing + spacing out releases appropriately, as a business would) is great progress, more than I'd expected.

tl;dr: He never stated this, but it is something that is a possibility based on how well the DLC's been handled so far. It's been progressing very well, as far as we are aware. I feel like it may well be ahead of schedule, but it's not a fact.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Super late to the pizza discussion, but it’s too important of a question to let slip by. I fall definitively in the Yes! camp, but one of my favorites these days is a Bianca pizza with prosciutto, arugula, and grated parmesan. I also enjoy making taco pizza. You basically replace tomato sauce with a bean mixture and top the pizza with whatever taco condiments of your choice (avocado slices, fresh tomato, cilantro, strips of tortilla, etc.)

I’m a solid 50/50 on Geno. I feel like we’re about where we were after K. Rool last year. Banjo set the stage and the missing Mii Costume has propelled Geno back into the conversation. That said, there’s presumably two spots left and a lot of remaining competitors out there. Square also already has a representative in Hero. No guarantees in my opinion, but just like in the base roster, I like Geno’s chances.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Found on 4ch. Something I noticed that's odd. Considering that the stages from the dlc season pack comes in we would have one stage slot open. This also applies to the character voice section as well, that is, if none of the upcoming dlc has character alts like Hero. Thoughts?
That matchs the Stage Select Free Slot, right?

It seems that the plan is:

Piranha Plant
_____
Joker
Heroes
Banjo
DLC 4
DLC 5
_____
Geno ⭐

At this point and after Banjo, I truly believe that Geno will be in. Before Ultimate, I can understand that KingKRool and Ridley were just about time to be fighters; but Banjo? Even that he has his own own world (which I love), it seems harder to imagine than Geno, and Banjo surprised all of us. So, given the Geno’s story, why not him? Sakurai and his team created a perfect game but without Geno as a fighter, it would create an emptiness scenario of sadness. Im pretty sure he knows that.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Unrelated to anything currently being discussed, but I felt that you guys would enjoy this art:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He never said it, no. He did say that they had a 'surplus of funds' in one interview, and whenever questioned about DLC development, he says development is going insanely well, moreso than the general public seems to imagine (i.e. the Hero and Banjo situation). After all, when Hero and Banjo were revealed, they were both looking damn near complete, and Sakurai later confirmed that. I'd say that characters 4 and 5 are in development now, so to be about halfway to February with three characters nearly done or completely done (B-K may be done and just held off for play-testing + spacing out releases appropriately, as a business would) is great progress, more than I'd expected.

tl;dr: He never stated this, but it is something that is a possibility based on how well the DLC's been handled so far. It's been progressing very well, as far as we are aware. I feel like it may well be ahead of schedule, but it's not a fact.
Ahh I see.

I can't say for sure if DLC is ahead of schedule but I feel very confident in there being no delays for the releases (everything released before Feb 2020). Even more so considering Banjo was being worked on even before the Base Roster was complete (his model was seen by a lot of insiders like PapaGeno's). Something I think could bode well for Geno should he be standalone DLC.
So, Ura Ura , how would you feel about Edelgard coming with an army command feature, when it's something that would have benefitted Andy for a hypothetical Smash debut?

Me too! I can't emphasize how tired I am of the misconceptions in regards to Reggie's VGAs quote. And I want both Geno and Edel anyway, so it's a win-win.

Manakete, rather. In any case, the Edelgard thread did explain in length the stuff in Three Houses that would help to make her stand out.
I don't know much about TH but Andy uses a Unit Purchasing system which I assume would be quite different. Purchasing a wide arsenal of units for different purposes (heavy firepower, long-range capabilities, etc.) not to mention they're GBA sprites which would be different from a Battalion of medieval-soldiers.

I guess it's the same way how :ultrobin::ulthero:co-exist despite having some similarities albeit playing very differently.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Found on 4ch. Something I noticed that's odd. Considering that the stages from the dlc season pack comes in we would have one stage slot open. This also applies to the character voice section as well, that is, if none of the upcoming dlc has character alts like Hero. Thoughts?
I don¨t know. this could easily be photoshopped

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*heartily drinks off a jug of Kero Kero Cola*

Ahhhhhh! A bit late on the question in regards to how guaranteed Geno's coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm going all in. 100%.

*heartily continues drinking*

Hic!

Disclaimer: The following expressions were not done under the influence of alcohol. Kero Kero Cola is a carbonated drink that utilizes fresh ingredients produced from the Mushroom Kingdom.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, someone went to the trouble of making convincing .json files for their fake leak, which seemed flawless until Hero got revealed.

Never underestimate the lengths anons from /v/ will go through for e-peen.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Who were the biggest characters on the Grinch leak, for you?
Geno, Isaac and Shadow were my biggest characters from that fake poster.
Mach Rider sound pretty interesting.
Didn't care about Banjo but happy for the fans.
Ken felt like he should've happen since he's the original echo.
I like Chorus Kids for the Rhythm Heaven fans, didn't care for it myself.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Select screens don't have to be perfectly rectangular. Even if the voice one lined up like in that mock-up, the music one wouldn't.

And the stage select leaves an open slot for custom stages when on random stage select.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Thinking about it now, Geno would be the ultimate haha swansong for Ultimate's DLC. We have no idea who's in the rest of the pass, nor do we have a clue on what will come after. But from what we've seen already, Sakurai and his dev team are going to great lengths to make these characters possible. Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie are hard proof of that. From shaking hands with direct competitors to managing firsts for the Dragon Quest series, this lineup so far has been phenomenal. Will they jump higher? Maybe.

Geno capping off the DLC of Ultimate would be more than just a popular pick getting in; it'd show the lengths the team went to make fans happy. In the long run, I can say that Geno is one of the most mysterious characters that has been requested. The fact that it's been a semi-constant flow of support and outcry for a Mario character that has never touched the 3D era yet is astonishing, and I'm happy to be a part of it for this long.

If this wooden vessel of wish-granting can make it in, it's anyone's game at that point.
"______ will never get in because-"
points at Geno

ZelDan

Smash Master
The character on the Grinch hoax I cared most about and was hyped most for was Isaac. Only other character I had any level of interest for was Geno.

All the other 5 characters I was largely neutral on, although Mach Rider has grown on me a little.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

For me, it was Isaac and Geno. I still feel bad about Isaac. Shadow would’ve been an awesome echo, too..
banjo, 100 million percent for sure was a huge deal for me, and still is even after the fact that he's been announced for some time now. I can't overstate how much of a dream come true that is.

and then Mach rider was a pretty big for me, since I'm kind of a fan of Nintendo's early years on the NES and SNES, I love the Retro stuff, I'm obsessed with all their dormant IP's they're just sitting on and doing nothing with. Mario, Zelda, and the other flagships are all well and good, but I'd love to see some of the characters that don't get that don't basically get annual releases Used more often. Mach Rider is not the greatest, especially for someone not down with those time sink arcade retro games. but I think it's an enjoyable enough game, and one of and one of the dormant IP's I consider to have the most Potential for a super-fun Revival.

Shadow was cool too, because I kind of expected him, and I'm a Sonic Adventure 2 Stan. it's honestly flabbergasting that he didn't get in as a Sonic Echo. one would think that would be the biggest no-brainer echo Out of all potential Echo candidates.

Geno wasn't a big deal to me at the time, But I came around. I've only recently started wanting him after realizing just what he represents, something that Mario games don't really have much of these days, at least not since Galaxy 2. Papa Geno's put it better then I ever could, but more importantly, I just want that last major fan pick to finally make it in, and then I will feel like we don't ever need another Smash Bros, at least not for 30 years. by then Nintendo should have at least 3 new IPs To put in Smash.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
For the Grinch leak, biggest one was Shadow. Geno, Isaac, Banjo, and Mach Rider I wanted as well, and I really didn't care about Chorus Kids and Ken.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I wanted Banjo, Geno and Isaac most from the Grinch leak. Composed three fourths of the list of characters I wanted most, which also includes Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. Isaac is probably dead in the water, but getting Banjo was hella hype, I think Lloyd's got a great shot and Geno's starting to seem less and less impossible with each day. Getting three out of four from my list would be pretty awesome.

Now if they wanna do another Fighter's Pass where they revisit some Assist Trophies... well. Suffice it to say my $20 would be quite ready.

link2702

Smash Champion
Mach rider was always an interesting one. If they got in, one move I thought would have been interesting is the motorcycle itself. It’d work similar to wario’s but can’t do wheelies, can’t jump off as high, and It’d hit harder and could fire bullets...annnd....

Wario and mach rider could end up using each other’s motorcycles if they dropped. Wario could then humorously be riding a serious looking futuristic bike, while mach is riding Wario’s.

....honestly I feel like someone else might have came up with that first and I remember reading it here, but I’m not 100% sure, since when the grinch was proven fake, we all forgot about some characters on it....

Obviously geno was still my no. 1 want followed by banjo, after that i was ok with whoever else got in.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
*Lifts lid off the garbage can*

>.>
<.<
>.> <.<

Phew, seems like things are finally back to normal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Just came back from finishing streaming FF7 and then watching Advent Children for the first time. Even though I'm not even done with Disc 1's content, I have to say I'm super attached to all of the characters...minus one right now. Goddamn traitorous sonnuvabi-

I'm excited to stream more FF7 tomorrow, but I will be streaming SMRPG on Friday! I'm excited to play through the game again and give my thoughts on possible improvements. So far, I see that only Dynamic Worlok Dynamic Worlok has given me permission to share there art. Anyone else in here that is artistically inclined that would like to have their art featured on my stream? I'm working on a command to link to a document that will have links to you guy's handles and whatnot right now.

Also, my preferred pizza is meatless with only mushrooms, black and green olives. Call me weird, I already know I am!

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally when it comes to Grinch Leak I don't Know how to Feel

I would Say Shadow was the biggest Character on there for me, but considering the Leak said he would be an echo, I was honestly hoping the Leak was false, well at least the Shadow Echo part. I'm on the boat where i Would rather Shadow be AT Forever then be an echo

Banjo is Okay. I was never really into him, but eh

Isaac is Cool

Geno is Cool

Mach Rider is Cool, though i wonder how he would work. Like would his Bike always have an hitbox...

Ken is Cool, though i don't play him that much cause he's Hard, but I'm Glad he's In, along with all his unique Stuff

Don't Care for Chorus Kids like that

D

Deleted member

For me, it was Isaac and Geno. I still feel bad about Isaac. Shadow would’ve been an awesome echo, too..
Shadow and Geno. Shadow because he's one of the only Sonic characters that appeal to me and I would've loved to see him in Ultimate. He just seemed like a no brainer to be put in as an echo fighter. I thought he would get in because him and Sonic have the same proportions and in games like SA2 or 06, he is quite literally a Sonic echo fighter, and he would be easier to develop since he already had a model and other resources, but oh well. Maybe next game that can happen.

Geno is the only other character I really cared about when it came to that leak. I wanted to see him in just so all the other Geno supporters wouldn't have to suffer any longer and get screwed over by Sakurai or Nintendo. I now understand all of the moveset potential that he has and just what he represents. It just amazes me that a character from an SNES RPG from 1996 who hasn't had any major appearance since then because of his ownership could have a fanbase that lasted this long. I really REALLY hope that this little dude can pull through and make it into the game. Once he does, the relevancy door that Banjo ripped the hinges off of can then have its doorway be completely destroyed by Geno and leave a large hole there. He will also put an end to that stupid spirits debate and prove that literally ANYONE that's from a video game can make it in. I'm not the biggest Geno supporter in the entire world, but I'm really holding out hope for him. You guys deserve him after waiting so long.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Now this is interesting. I doubt we will have another 'box theory' but it fills the page nicely. What is more interesting is if you look at the music select screen, once Banjo is added, that alone will make the page filled. If they want to keep the pages perfectly square/rectangular, the last fighters are first party.
They wouldn't have to add new blocks for music, if the last dlc fighters were 1st party. With this in mind, Porky makes sense. Bandana Waddle Dee makes sense. And Geno makes sense... "But he's third party!" His spirit is labeled as a Mario character, however.

Fun speculation on my part.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

I wanted them all. Geno, Isaac, and Banjo would have made the roster "complete", Shadow and Ken were no-brainer echo fighters, and Mach Rider and the Chorus Kids were a fantastic retro character and obscure(ish) modern character, respectively. I don't think any reasonable person would have been upset with the Grinch leak roster.

Geno, Isaac, and Banjo in that order were my three most wanted, though. I stand by the fact the Isaac has been done dirty in Smash.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
*raises an eyebrow*

Okay everyone, show of hands. Who here actually believes that Geno is guaranteed?
I actually do think he’s guaranteed. Not guaranteed as in he will one day become DLC, guaranteed as in they’ve literally already made him and all his stuff and he’s scheduled for DLC 4 or 5.

"Words are just words" is the most cowardly, pea-brained possible defense someone could use for their own laziness, selfishness, and lack of empathy. It's a pathetic non-argument, and I have no respect for it.

And as someone who worked in a pizza place for a few years? When I'm feeling a little naughty, I'll get pineapple and pepperoni with ham, extra cheese, but the key is to get the toppings put UNDERNEATH the cheese.

I consider Geno guaranteed, btw
Right on.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I am really hopeful that Geno makes it. In the fighter pass or as a bonus fighter. Lets pray for his return boys and gals

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he's terribly likely for the Fighter's Pass. I hope he is, but I also recognize there are other characters that are more likely. His chances aren't zero, however. The chances at this moment I think are looking pretty good, but I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up.

If they continue past the fighters pass, I think Geno is very likely. Most fighters past the Fighter's Pass I believe would be focused on fan requests.

Krystofr

Smash Rookie
I believe Geno is not guaranteed but I have high hopes and plenty of reason to have them now.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that they definitely feel like Nintendo would not do a bonus character or anything just because PP was planned for the base game apparently. Nintendo can do what they want with their game. Fan rules are absolutely cringey coping mechanisms for either a.) keeping their sanity in check and avoid hoping for something ever or b.) avoiding the inevitable idea that again, Nintendo can do what they want even if they, the player, don't want it to happen that way (or at least believe it won't for some arbitrary reason that isn't cemented with any sort of trend or fact).

That's why spirits deconfirm argument and being anti-bonus content are just easier to ignore for me.

If Geno is in, I whole heartedly expect him to be a bonus character at the end of the Fighter Pass, OR the very last fighter on the pass. The reason I feel this is the case is because of the trend of DLC fighters right now being highlighted franchises with main characters from respective entities (aka true-third parties) AND (read, AND!!) highly requested characters.

Geno may very well be in Nintendo's hands now, as Square-Enix may have sold the rights to SMRPG or had a discussion to do so. This is just conjecture though~! I don't see why we would ever be let known of something like this unless it wasn't being kept hush hush. Hence the whole soundtracks being taken down by Nintendo and not Square. Idk for sure. Just fun tidbits in my brain right now.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I wanted them all. Geno, Isaac, and Banjo would have made the roster "complete", Shadow and Ken were no-brainer echo fighters, and Mach Rider and the Chorus Kids were a fantastic retro character and obscure(ish) modern character, respectively. I don't think any reasonable person would have been upset with the Grinch leak roster.

Geno, Isaac, and Banjo in that order were my three most wanted, though. I stand by the fact the Isaac has been done dirty in Smash.
Yeah, tbh i’m never gonna feel like all of the fan favorites are in until Isaac and Dixie show up. I was really hoping for Dixie as an echo, but she got Miicostumed

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Yeah, tbh i’m never gonna feel like all of the fan favorites are in until Isaac and Dixie show up. I was really hoping for Dixie as an echo, but she got Miicostumed
They weirdly restrained themselves for Echo Fighters. When they made a big deal about them at E3 2018 I thought there was going to be tons of them. Dixie only made sense.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
as did shadow, I am seriously confused as to why shadow or Metal WASN'T an echo. Just... WHY!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Geno was my the character I was most excited for at that point, and he continues to be as such. I spent much more of base game looking at him like an incredibly likely character for the obvious reasons I think most of us did. Banjo & Kazooie seemed impossible even back then, but I had always secretly hoped for them, so they were just as desired as Geno. I also let myself become rather convinced that Isaac would show up to, and while I'm not the biggest Golden Sun fan, I saw an opportunity for another really cool character from games I had enjoyed playing in the past.

Ken made sense and was the worst kept secret of base game, though I didn't have much to say about him. Shadow made some sense, but I honestly still don't care what happens with him outside of hoping his fans get what they want some day. Chorus Kids I liked in theory, but I really needed to see realized to get fully behind (Though, like Golden Sun, representing Rhythm Heaven seemed like a great idea to further finish the "Nintendo crossover" element of Smash.

Mach Rider sounds super interesting to try, but I've honestly come to the point where I'd much prefer Excitebiker since the Excite series has quite a nice history with Nintendo and Mach has always kind of been an obscure pick for obscure pick's sake.

Honestly, Incineroar ended up such an enjoyable pick after I'd hated him for months on design alone that in a way I'm glad we ended up with him even if he was the final (in a very long series of) death nails for Grinch (The major red flags were there from the start and I never believed it). I would have easily kept Incineroar over anybody other than the first three I discussed.

They weirdly restrained themselves for Echo Fighters. When they made a big deal about them at E3 2018 I thought there was going to be tons of them. Dixie only made sense.
Dixie is infinitely better served as a semi-clone or straight up original newcomer down the line. It be such a waste to just have her be an Echo of Diddy when you could have things like her grabs be based around her hair in addition to the Up-B. It means that we're probably not getting her now, but honestly, I'd rather have a better Dixie down the line than a half-assed one as well.

I also think we just severely underestimate the amount of time and effort that Echo fighters take with regards to the number. They still have to be heavily balanced around the roster and worked on extensively in terms of animations/models/etc. I'd say they ended up a pretty big deal with 7 out of the 76 playable characters we had at launch.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Geno and Isaac are the only two characters I've ever seriously wished to be in Smash. I would be happy if just one of them finally made it in.

I wished for Pit, but mostly as a joke because my friends had never even heard of Kid Icarus...I would've preferred Geno or Isaac.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Never really Saw Echo Fighters as this big new line of Characters. It seemed more like more of a way to market The Clone characters as a breed of Characters that don't take up as much time as a real character. before Echo fighter Branding, Clones were Extremely Hated as Some people saw them as taking Slots from fully fledged Characters. I Imagine if Echo Fighters weren't a Thing then i bet Characters like Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom would be hated

And as EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman said, They still do take up time with the models and animations. You also got to take into account Amiibos, Classic Mode Routes, and even negotiations when it comes to 3rd party Echoes. Though i think Echoes aren't balanced around the Rest of the roster, only the Parent Character

as did shadow, I am seriously confused as to why shadow or Metal WASN'T an echo. Just... WHY!
I Imagine cause either Sega said no, or Sakurai said no to the idea of that. I couldn't imagine that Shadow did not Come to mind considering how much people Wanted a 2nd Sonic Rep. I just don't think a Echo Fighter is the way to do it.

Yeah Shadow and Metal have played Similar to Sonic in Sonic games (Honestly most Sonic Characters have), but that wouldn't automatically translate to a Smash moveset though. I think Echo Fighter Shadow and Metal would put to waste Their more unique abilities. Lord knows how many people complain About Sonic being too samey with similar looking moves and TWO Spindashes and a Spring, so to see these two doing it, or even other Characters like Knuckles and Tails would be sin. And considering the fact that they made Ken as unique as he is, and Isabelle a Semi-Clone, I just don't think Echo Fighter is a Realizable Idea

On topic of Other Characters though, If Geno were to get in as a Bonus Character, Do you think There will be more after him... I don't Count Piranha Plant Considering that it seems he was planned for base roster (with him having a Palutena's Guidance unlike the rest of the DLC)

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So to preface this very long post this really isn't about a plus or minus to Geno's chances imo. But I still thought it would be an interesting situation worth bringing up especially in light of what people were discussing today about Nintendo possibly being the roadblock to Geno. It may not be a 1:1 comparison in all aspects but there's actually an eerily similar situation to SMRPG's in some ways within the world of video games: The Street Fighter EX series

dbq1bfh-b0a0a116-b598-48a2-b41d-16011d5aa367.jpg

Street Fighter EX was first published as a coin-operated arcade game for the Sony ZN hardware in 1996. It is notable for being the first game in the Street Fighter franchise to feature 3D graphics, and was a spin-off of the Street Fighter series published by Capcom and designed by Japanese video game developer/publisher Arika. Sounds like a familiar situation doesn't it?

The game differentiates itself from SMRPG in that it was released on multiple consoles and received 2 sequels the last of which was Street Fighter EX3 released for the PS2 in 2000. The series remains what could be considered a cult favorite among Street Fighter fans mainly due to its soundtrack (which is amazing and you should check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VQ8Q9eq83A&list=PLE4B2BD2F4DF31136) and also the new characters that were created for that series that for legal reasons have never again appeared in a Street Fighter game. I've heard rumors over the years that there ended up being some bad blood between Arika and Capcom in a very similar way to what Nintendo and Square had going on for decades before now.

Now, I'm going to take a bit of a detour and focus on one of these EX specific characters in particular: Skullomania. What is a Skullomania you ask?

skullomania_by_heavymetalhanzo_d2oh6s0-pre.jpg

This is Skullomania.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1cTFSvD57s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEeZRcKYKK8

Per the Street Fighter wiki: "Skullomania was once an average salesman called Saburo Nishikoyama. His superiors were not pleased with his results as a salesman. Down on his luck and constantly under pressure for results, he was forced to act in a hero show at the department store which employed him. During the performance, he felt an indescribable passion awaken within him, and decided to become a vigilante crime-fighter, swearing to protect the world from evil. As a result, he began to compete against top-ranked martial artists, fighting them on an even playing field. "

So yeah, basically he's awesome. And when comparing them outside of their games he actually has a lot of similarities to Geno. He's an otherwise obscure side-game character that despite rare appearances in things here and there hadn't been playable in a game until 2018 (so he has one thing on Geno). But even though he should have faded into obscurity before his comeback in 2018 he actually remained very popular among the Street Fighter fanbase:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...troduced-series-canon-who-would-you-most-see/

As you can see here on Eventhubs he received the most votes on a poll among users for EX characters to be introduced to the main SF series by a wide margin. Out of 19 total characters and 626 total votes he received a whopping 170. Now you may be saying "Big deal, idiot. Who cares if he's the most popular character in an obscure side-series?" Well, Genoamigo, I invite you to look at the results of the official 2017 global popularity poll for all Street Fighter characters:

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/vote?lang=en

16. Of all 109 Street Fighter characters this obscure-ass character who hadn't been in a game in almost 2 decades got 16th place and beat out series mainstays like Guile, Zangeif, Dan Hibiki, and E. Honda. So yeah, it'd be pretty fair to say Skullomania is the Geno of Street Fighter. The downside to being very much like Geno is that for as many people that love the character and want him back in the series there are also a good amount of people who just.... Don't get it. At all. They think he's an irrelevant joke character that shouldn't even be considered as DLC for SFV because Capcom doesn't actually own him. Some people even try to brush him off as "not being a Street Fighter character" even though the guy has been in 3 Street Fighter titles. Again, sounds familiar doesn't it?

So now going back to the series itself it's now been 19 years worth of absence of SF EX characters from mainline SF games. In the interim Arika has used the characters very sporadically. After SF EX3 in 2000 Skullomania appeared in music game Technicbeat in 2002 and it wasn't until 2018 that finally after all these years of fans waiting that he appeared as a playable character in Fighting Layer EX in 2018 for the PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgi-Y6MZvL0

See how hyped the crowd was at EVO 2017 for Skullomania's reveal? A spin-off character that hadn't been in a new game in almost 2 decades got a bigger reaction than Street Fighter's DLC characters that year, Kind of puts things in perspective when people say a character like Geno wouldn't ever get much of a reaction if revealed. And yeah, it's EVO, but still. 19 years.

Also funnily/interestingly enough a female version of Skullomania more recently appeared in SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy for the Switch (more about that later on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=eUH2l7z9ius

So yeah Arika was using the character very rarely in their own games and then finally as guest characters in an SNK game, but still no SF game despite a fan demand for a return of Skullomania. Why?

Well the only vague details on the subject come in the form of a 2016 interview with Gamespot around the release of SFV's first DLC several years ago. The following is an interview between Street Fighter series producer Yoshinori Ono and a passionate Skullomania fan/Gamespot journalist:

What are the chances of getting Skullomania in Street Fighter 5?

O: Aaaaaaahhhh. I get a lot of requests for Arika’s Street Fighter EX characters. There are issues around using characters from EX that would bore you to hear about. So I’ll just say that it’s not easy as it might be, getting characters from another game, unfortunately.

The game has a long-term strategy, we’re going to be bringing content to it for years to come. I’d say never say never, who knows, 2019 or 2020 may be the year of Skullomania.

Every year is the year of Skullomania for me.

O: Hold on to the hope you have, but be ready for disappointment.

There is no disappointment in being a Skullomania fan.

(Note: Yeah, this is a little too relatable isn't it?)

And just because here's a funny a follow-up to that interview:

O5Jbz77 (1).png

So now with all of that information on the table: Skullomania getting into Street Fighter and Geno getting into Smash seem to be very similar situations. Both Sakurai and Ono have seemingly both attempted to get these "irrelevant" yet fan requested late 90s era characters owned by a seperate developer into their respective series. But nothing has happened yet. Why?

As implied by both Ono and Sakurai in past interviews the issue lies with the legal ownership of these characters. Despite the fact that both have attempted to borrow the characters for their games something keeps impeding that from actually happening. The curious thing is that SNK was able secure the rights to Skullomania's female version for that game. How? because they traded an appearance with King of Fighters lead character Terry Bogard to appear as a playable character in Fighting Layer EX. So the issue isn't Arika being unwilling to use the character anywhere as they're obviously willing to have a version of the character appear in a game series from a developer (that isn't Capcom) as long as some sort of deal is in place.

Now SE is obviously a very different company from Arika which to be blunt is kind of a literally who comparatively. But you have to wonder if something similar hasn't been proposed by Nintendo to SE or vice versa in the past with regards to obtaining Geno as a fully playable character (not a costume and not a spirit). And if it hasn't could that be something Nintendo might be willing to do in the future? Is there an issue with these specific contracts where one company owns a character and the other owns the series the character appeared in? Is that why SNK was able to make it work with Arika but Capcom wasn't? You have to admit it is strange that both of these characters keep running into the seemingly same roadblock.

What do you guys think? Hopefully this was interesting to people and not a total chore to read through!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom