• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
There is no proof that Sakurai will do one more bonus fighter just to make Geno happen. If Sakurai really wanted Geno then he would've happened already or be part of the Fighters Pass. (((Just because Sakurai said he wanted the character doesn't mean anything because there's no way he would say that he doesn't want any particular character because that would be terrible PR.))) He let other popular characters that people having been wanting for many years to be excluded, chances are it will happen again.
...ummm, what? This doesn’t make the slightest bit of sense. If Sakurai doesn’t want a character to make it in, he simply won’t mention the character. I’m also sure he’d have no problem admitting if he didn’t have plans for a character. You’re creating a hypothetical strawman here that doesn’t even exist.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
*raises an eyebrow*

Okay everyone, show of hands. Who here actually believes that Geno is guaranteed?
Not at all. A very slim chance. The only thing we got going for us is fan demand and that bird. That's it. It's not a lot to go off of at all. I'm hoping for him, but right now his odds are not going in his favor yet.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
There is no proof that Sakurai will do one more bonus fighter just to make Geno happen. If Sakurai really wanted Geno then he would've happened already or be part of the Fighters Pass. Just because Sakurai said he wanted the character doesn't mean anything because there's no way he would say that he doesn't want any particular character because that would be terrible PR. He let other popular characters that people having been wanting for many years to be excluded, chances are it will happen again.
Theres no proof that there isnt, either;D

Just to note, Pirahna Plant lies outside the Fighters Pass, they can literally do whatever they want post pass

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, Geno Mii Costume aside, back in the DLC days of Smash 4, how did you feel when they added Cloud over Geno? I can't say I was pleased myself.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Not at all. A very slim chance. The only thing we got going for us is fan demand and that bird. That's it. It's not a lot to go off of at all. I'm hoping for him, but right now his odds are not going in his favor yet.
And no Mii Costume when everyone had thought "Oh yeah, it will be revealed with Hero" That is a pretty big deal.

QQS

Smash Lord
I have way more faith, seeing all history and everything. Call me a dreamy but I’m 90% sure that Geno will be a fighter in Ultimate.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Regardless if :ultpiranha: was meant to be in the base roster and just pushed to DLC or not, the fact remains that he is DLC not tied to the Fighters Pass. The precedent has been set.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm 50/50 on Geno, really. It'd be ridiculous of me to say that he's in any way guaranteed. I think the consensus is pretty common through most of the thread, so I mean... it's not like these are points that haven't been considered and discussed ad nauseum.

Say, Geno Mii Costume aside, back in the DLC days of Smash 4, how did you feel when they added Cloud over Geno? I can't say I was pleased myself.
I was fine with it. I mean, of all characters for Square to put in Smash, I'd expected someone from FF first before Geno anyway.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm 50/50 on Geno, really. It'd be ridiculous of me to say that he's in any way guaranteed. I think the consensus is pretty common through most of the thread, so I mean... it's not like these are points that haven't been considered and discussed ad nauseum.

I was fine with it. I mean, of all characters for Square to put in Smash, I'd expected someone from FF first before Geno anyway.
Can't say I was exactly fine, but I wasn't mad with it. I was fine, actually. A bit surprised it was Cloud, though. I thought it would be Black Mage or something.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
For now I can’t say I believe Geno is in, but i’m just waiting for the Starling leak to pan out, because that could be insanely good for him if it truly is in his favor.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
For now I can’t say I believe Geno is in, but i’m just waiting for the Starling leak to pan out, because that could be insanely good for him if it truly is in his favor.

(Mistake double post because my phone was lagging, why don’t they let us delete posts here?!?)

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
They can only look past us for so long, I'd say he is guaranteed. If not in Ultimate, perhaps as a remake to spark interest.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As a BIG FF7 Fan (On par, if not close, to the levels of Maximillan Dood) my reaction was over the moon with Joy. I also didn't support Geno until this cycle and after experiencing the game myself.

D

Deleted member

*raises an eyebrow*

Okay everyone, show of hands. Who here actually believes that Geno is guaranteed?
I truly believe it's a 50/50 but I think most people here believe it's also a 50/50.

It's truly possible and I wouldn't rule it out but I can't say I believe he is in like I did in base just that it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I wasn¨t pleased, but at the same time, can totally understand why. Cloud is an extremely iconic character so...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, I read it. But I saw through your intent. You don't come into a support thread and say things that are deliberately trying to drown out any optimism what so ever.

The situation is dire enough without people coming into to tell them ''Oh, woe is you. You're just a glorified sticker."

Support threads are to support the character, not say stuff that is contradictory to supporting them. Which is what you did.
I know I'm a bit late here, but despite how some OPs frame it, they're not support threads, they're general character threads. What goes on is mostly support, and that's cool, but if someone were to make another Geno thread and say "this one is simply for speculation, no blatant supporting or detracting please" the mods would lock that **** and tell you to use this one.

Luis27

Smash Apprentice
I had a normal reaction, but my friend just scream thanks to the hype, he likes FF too much

(Sorry for my bad english)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just went back to the Gamxplain video about DLC prediction... and what I find hilarious (concidering the earlier event that occurred) Jon is predicting Edelgard and Geno...

Edit - here¨s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM0dd0_CCzo&t=3044s
So, assuming that Jon is correct, I bet that Geno would be 4th, and Edelgard would be the customary last and experimental/""disappointing"" pick in regards to the usual reveal pattern. That would line up nicely, all things considered.

I thought it was cool, actually. The intro helped.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I won't say that Geno is guaranteed in the game because I can't say that for any character. No one's a shoo-in.

Hero wasn't a shoo-in, B-K weren't shoo-ins, no one.

Some might think his chances are slim, but technically speaking Geno has just as much chance as literally any other character to be in the game. He's not at a disadvantage at all.

The lack of Mii Costume cemented that fact, and nothing has changed that fact; starling or not.

Cloud was far more impossible, and significantly less likely to happen. Remember, it was his appearance that made the idea of "anyone can join" a true reality. I was super, ultra psyched to see Cloud get in the game. I even decided to main him in Sm4sh regardless of whether he was good or not. (He just happened to be really good).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I felt kind of disappointed but I got used to Cloud
I was shocked by Cloud but loved gow much wirk Sakurai put in him. His moveset is so perfect, even to the little things. Its the FF stuff that came with him that I disliked due ro how lackluster it was.

Now, if only he didn't have all that legal red tape around his english voice actor. The contact is so specific and completely bar him from voicing Cloud in Smash.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
*raises an eyebrow*

Guaranteed is a strong word. Ever since Ridley's reveal I've thought that Geno has had a strong chance to make it in because Ridley not just making it in but being the first newcomer announced plus "Everyone is Here" was to me a message of intent that Sakurai and co. were going to do their best to give us characters that'd been asked for almost 2 decades. In that time we've gotten a bunch of characters and ones like Banjo and K. Rool are to me reminders that he's still trying to get those fan favorites in. The whole Erdrick leak and Verge's statements put a damper on things. But I still always thought he had a solid shot through that, and now with no mii costume plus the starling hint still in play among all the other things we've documented as being indications of interest from Nintendo I really do think he has a good shot for something. Whether that's in the FP, as bonus DLC, or something else I have no clue. But I still have hope that's for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I won't say that Geno is guaranteed in the game because I can't say that for any character. No one's a shoo-in.

Hero wasn't a shoo-in, B-K weren't shoo-ins, no one.

Some might think his chances are slim, but technically speaking Geno has just as much chance as literally any other character to be in the game. He's not at a disadvantage at all.

The lack of Mii Costume cemented that fact, and nothing has changed that fact; starling or not.
Yeah, unless one is a super-known first-party character with a major role (and even then you wouldn't necessarily get in from the word "Let's-a-go!" until a Smash game or two after being created), nobody can be considered a lock. Everyone's a Schrodinger's Cat until further notice.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Guh, looking at the roster now, how have we had all these Fire Emblem reps but not a single lance/axe/bow user?! :facepalm:

It's like Nintendo's trying to say that the only weapon allowed in the history of Fire Emblem is swords and maybe a little bit of magic.

p.s give us geno nintendo, thanks

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So, assuming that Jon is correct, I bet that Geno would be 4th, and Edelgard would be the customary last and experimental/""disappointing"" pick in regards to the usual reveal pattern. That would line up nicely, all things considered.
Truth be told, I would laugh like a madman if he is correct after all this to be perfectly frank

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay. Geno is Geno.

Cloud IS the Final Fantasy. He's the poster child of that franchise at this point. There was no way Square was going to allow anyone but him to represent their company first.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Okay. Geno is Geno.

Cloud IS the Final Fantasy. He's the poster child of that franchise at this point. There was no way Square was going to allow anyone but him to represent their company first.
I think I can say it now. Though they didn't have time to put Geno in alongside Cloud, they obviously wanted to add Cloud, or someone from Final Fantasy first. Dragon Quest next, then maybe Geno after that. EDIT: By they, I mean Square Enix.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Guh, looking at the roster now, how have we had all these Fire Emblem reps but not a single lance/axe/bow user?! :facepalm:

It's like Nintendo's trying to say that the only weapon allowed in the history of Fire Emblem is swords and maybe a little bit of magic.
Corrin are using dragon attacks.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
back then I hadn't got into the speculation scene, but I did vote for geno in the ballot because I thought his moveset would be perfect. I was more surprised that we got any kind of acknowledgement at all, as I wasn't aware that geno had such a following. Cloud was pretty cool, though, and it made a lot of sense, considering he's basically the final fantasy posterboy.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
There is no proof that Sakurai will do one more bonus fighter just to make Geno happen. If Sakurai really wanted Geno then he would've happened already or be part of the Fighters Pass. Just because Sakurai said he wanted the character doesn't mean anything because there's no way he would say that he doesn't want any particular character because that would be terrible PR. He let other popular characters that people having been wanting for many years to be excluded, chances are it will happen again.
Didn't he give a reason as to why ridley was not added in smash 4? it's not exactly saying he didn't want him in, but it was still a reason for not having him included in the previous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom