• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I think the main obstacle facing dlc is that Square wants x% of the sales for Geno, and that value has always been higher than the y% that Nintendo is willing to offer Square. The main question, and thus the problem that needs solving, is how large the gap between those two are.

My assumption so far is that Nintendo hasn't been open to paying much, if anything, to have Geno in. I wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo super lowballed their offer last time and Square said, "sure...as a costume." It was late in the DLC for 4, plans for Ultimate were starting and they just accepted the deal as is.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Hooray, more quotes.

*raises an eyebrow*

Okay everyone, show of hands. Who here actually believes that Geno is guaranteed?
I used to think Geno was entirely done for because I believed Spirits deconfirm characters but because of this starling picture, the validity of the claim is starting to be put into question. Now like I said before, I don't think Geno has a shot at being in the fighters pass since Square Enix already has Dragon Quest and I think spots are saved for different companies. However if Bonus fighters are a possibility, I think Geno has a great chance of being the next fighter. In my mind, Square Enix was only willing to let Geno be playable after Sakurai advertised Dragon Quest IX S and made the heroes playable characters.

Say, Geno Mii Costume aside, back in the DLC days of Smash 4, how did you feel when they added Cloud over Geno? I can't say I was pleased myself.
Cloud was pretty cool and I was surprised to see him. I don't think I had much of reaction seeing the Geno mii costume though.

Who were the biggest characters on the Grinch leak, for you?

For me, it was Isaac and Geno. I still feel bad about Isaac. Shadow would’ve been an awesome echo, too..
Banjo & Kazooie were the top of the line for me! It was amazing to finally see him in the game!

Geno and Isaac were pretty cool additions too. I was a little saddened for the fans (Especially Billybo10k) to see Isaac become an Assist Trophy again and I kind of hope that he's the last bonus character, sadly though I deem that as impossible. Geno is probably safe but Assist Trophies seem to have way more time integrated. No disrespect to Waluigi fans but I do kind off get a sick sense of enjoyment seeing Waluigi being snubbed from Smash because I feel it hilariously fits his character.

Ken at that point was a lock and so did Shadow but like many other people, I was surprised to see that he was still an Assist Trophy after seeing that Knuckles seemingly took that spot.

Mach Rider actually looked like a really cool character. Imagine being a character that is a cross between the Mach Rider and ExciteBike. He sits on top of his motorbike, dashing makes him drive forward, when you turn around his bike skids across the floor, maybe a forward aerial where he does a trick or backflips with his bike, attacking opponents with the treads of his wheels and if he connects, he bounces off the opponent. I thought Mach Rider would be far more interesting than ExciteBike because even though the latter is far more popular, Mach Rider would be able to more things like shoot with his weapons.

And er yeah Chorus Kids... whatever... moving on.

I would also feel the same way about Sora and Kingdom Hearts getting representation before Geno were that to ever happen, though I doubt it will due to the complications that would arise from Disney. (For example, I feel like Sakurai would not want to include Sora if he couldn’t also include Donald and Goofy in some way because the three of them are so closely tied together, and I feel like getting the rights to use the two of them would be a massive challenge compared to literally any other character in Smash.)
You know it kind of bothers me that Sora fans are desperate enough to abandon the Disney side of Kingdom Hearts and deem it irrelevant just to get Sora to join the game because they felt the peer pressure of Donald and Goofy being 4th party characters holding them back. I know that a lot of people have a problem with non-video game characters joining Super Smash Bros because they don't want Goku in the game but I feel like there has to be some exceptions to that rule. If not a playable character, the least Donald, Goofy and other Disney characters should have in Smash Bros is as background characters or in Donald and Goofy's case, part of Sora's final smash and maybe some spirits to break up the monotony of having organisation XIII members take up the spirit board.

Found on 4ch. Something I noticed that's odd. Considering that the stages from the dlc season pack comes in we would have one stage slot open. This also applies to the character voice section as well, that is, if none of the upcoming dlc has character alts like Hero. Thoughts?
Since I think Doom Guy and Geno have a chance of being in Smash Bros, I'd imagine either Doom Guy would be silent or Geno would be silent.

That matchs the Stage Select Free Slot, right?

It seems that the plan is:

Piranha Plant
_____
Joker
Heroes
Banjo
DLC 4
DLC 5
_____
Geno ⭐
This is what I think will probably happen

Piranha Plant
_____
Joker
Heroes
Banjo
_____
Geno ⭐
_____
DLC 4 (Chris Redfield)
DLC 5 (Doom Slayer)
_____
Waluigi⭐(I don't think this is likely and I don't like Waluigi as a playable character but the Waluigi fanbase is loud enough for this to potentially happen)

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Also we're 1000000000% getting a Smash Direct in December...
I'd imagine that Sakurai would have to go through Fighter#4 and reveal Fighter#5 as well as all the content with them, and maybe even a bonus character or a second Fighters Pass to finish it all off.
I don't think they'll show the last character at the VGAs again this year...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think the Waluigi outcry will really affect anything as long as the guy still doesn't get a single major role outside of party/sports/dance spin-offs (that doesn't get hijacked by Bowser, thanks Camelot...:glare:). Doesn't help that he wasn't even made by any of the main Nintendo branches, so they're more comfortable using him in anything that's not a platformer (except as a costume, and even then SMM2 doesn't have the Mystery Suit feature again so far).

I still think there should be an Operation Eggplantfall.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So during my dream last night I saw we got a bonus dlc added between the pass like was suggested a few times last month but it was medusa as a semi clone of palutena. Now I've had my share of character reveal dreams this cycle like everyone else but even that was headscratcher.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I Never really Saw Echo Fighters as this big new line of Characters. It seemed more like more of a way to market The Clone characters as a breed of Characters that don't take up as much time as a real character. before Echo fighter Branding, Clones were Extremely Hated as Some people saw them as taking Slots from fully fledged Characters. I Imagine if Echo Fighters weren't a Thing then i bet Characters like Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom would be hated

And as @EricTheGamerman said, They still do take up time with the models and animations. You also got to take into account Amiibos, Classic Mode Routes, and even negotiations when it comes to 3rd party Echoes. Though i think Echoes aren't balanced around the Rest of the roster, only the Parent Character

I Imagine cause either Sega said no, or Sakurai said no to the idea of that. I couldn't imagine that Shadow did not Come to mind considering how much people Wanted a 2nd Sonic Rep. I just don't think a Echo Fighter is the way to do it.

Yeah Shadow and Metal have played Similar to Sonic in Sonic games (Honestly most Sonic Characters have), but that wouldn't automatically translate to a Smash moveset though. I think Echo Fighter Shadow and Metal would put to waste Their more unique abilities. Lord knows how many people complain About Sonic being too samey with similar looking moves and TWO Spindashes and a Spring, so to see these two doing it, or even other Characters like Knuckles and Tails would be sin. And considering the fact that they made Ken as unique as he is, and Isabelle a Semi-Clone, I just don't think Echo Fighter is a Realizable Idea
I think the reason people didn't hate the Echo Fighters when they were announced is because briefly prior, all the veterans in Smash history was confirmed so people didn't seem to think the clones would be stealing a slot from a veteran because they're all in. Now, had all the veterans didn't come back I'm pretty positive people would hate the Echos and say "They stole Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers' slots!" Even though it doesn't really work that way and clones only take up 1/6 of the development time that unique fighters do.

Edit: Guys, it's the one year anniversary of K. Rool's inclusion in Smash. :chuckle:

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
*raises an eyebrow*

Okay everyone, show of hands. Who here actually believes that Geno is guaranteed?
I'm still around a 60/40 in/not. I think the lack of his Mii Costume is pretty suspect considering his popularity amongst smash fans, and the starling image still hasn't been completely figured out yet, so it still may point towards him.
When do you think we should expect a direct? Any ideas as to when the nearest one will be?
In terms of a general Nintendo Direct, mid-late september seems like a safe bet.

D

Deleted member

I haven't drawn Geno in a while (and I haven't drawn anything for a little while too) so I decided to do a small thing for right now. I very well believe that he can still make it. If King K. Rool, Ridley, Simon Belmont and Banjo and Kazooie can all make it into the game, then Geno can too.
Screenshot_20190808-100853_Gallery.jpg

Firox

Smash Master
I think the main obstacle facing dlc is that Square wants x% of the sales for Geno, and that value has always been higher than the y% that Nintendo is willing to offer Square. The main question, and thus the problem that needs solving, is how large the gap between those two are.

My assumption so far is that Nintendo hasn't been open to paying much, if anything, to have Geno in. I wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo super lowballed their offer last time and Square said, "sure...as a costume." It was late in the DLC for 4, plans for Intubate were starting and they just accepted the deal as is.
If it really turns out that SE is just being hyper greedy, then I'm gonna be so pissed. I mean, they are literally doing NOTHING with Geno and even if Nintendo offered them 15% of the profits or less, it's still free money! They would only have to hand over the rights and Nintendo/Sakurai would do all the work. You'd have to be the greediest little feck in the world to say, "You know what? Screw the fans. Screw this obscure character we almost forgot we even had. Screw money. You want this guy? Then pony up 80% of the profits, boyzzzz."

I sincerely hope this isn't the case, but if it was, I would hope that Nintendo would publicly call them out for it so I'd know where to focus my hate mail. I wonder if the backlash of thousands would help them grease the wheels a little. Maybe it would help if they knew how much freaking money this could make them. Think about it. At $5 a pop for even HALF the install base, we're looking at a minimum of $35,000,000! Take my money, people! Just let my Geno go!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know this thread would be a bias place to ask, but who would crash the Eshop servers longer? Banjo & Kazooie or Geno?

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I know this thread would be a bias place to ask, but who would crash the Eshop servers longer? Banjo & Kazooie or Geno?
Banjo would, but the Geno crash would be pretty damn solid too. Honestly even the less popular DLC guys like Hero crash the servers for a long time. You’d think they’d be more prepared for this stuff by now

Firox

Smash Master
As much as I love Geno, I'd be lying if I didn't say that B-K is more widely known. If one of the two of them were going to crash the servers wholesale, it would be B-K.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
*Lifts lid off the garbage can*

>.>
<.<
>.> <.<

Phew, seems like things are finally back to normal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Just came back from finishing streaming FF7 and then watching Advent Children for the first time. Even though I'm not even done with Disc 1's content, I have to say I'm super attached to all of the characters...minus one right now. Goddamn traitorous sonnuvabi-

I'm excited to stream more FF7 tomorrow, but I will be streaming SMRPG on Friday! I'm excited to play through the game again and give my thoughts on possible improvements. So far, I see that only Dynamic Worlok Dynamic Worlok has given me permission to share there art. Anyone else in here that is artistically inclined that would like to have their art featured on my stream? I'm working on a command to link to a document that will have links to you guy's handles and whatnot right now.

Also, my preferred pizza is meatless with only mushrooms, black and green olives. Call me weird, I already know I am!
FF7 is an amazing game, finally got around to playing it in its entirety when it came out on the Switch a few months back (busy with school previously). I’ll also pick up the remake when it comes out next March and compared to Advent Children, the graphics aren’t really too far off compared to what I’ve seen in the trailers in my opinion. :grin:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo would, but the Geno crash would be pretty damn solid too. Honestly even the less popular DLC guys like Hero crash the servers for a long time. You’d think they’d be more prepared for this stuff by now
As much as I love Geno, I'd be lying if I didn't say that B-K is more widely known. If one of the two of them were going to crash the servers wholesale, it would be B-K.
I agree. Them being N64 icons people have been waiting for since Smash 64, yeah it seems the servers will be out forever when the bear and bird come out.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
So there's a new online Tourney coming to Smash called "Heroes vs Villains". The details are pretty vague, but I wanted to pose the question: Of the entire roster, who would you think the devs would count as a villain?

The ones I could see so far are:

-Ganondorf
-Bowser
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Wolf
-K rool
-Mewtwo (I know pokemon aren't usually considered "good" or "evil" but this game's version seems like the bitter, human-genocide version of Mewtwo)
-Dedede (Obviously not a truly evil guy, but still possibly an antagonist to Kirby)
-Metaknight (Because the poster of the event has him with the villains)
-Piranha Plant
-Wario maybe? (I know we've argued his villain status before but I'd say he leans more bad than good)

Did I miss anyone?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So there's a new online Tourney coming to Smash called "Heroes vs Villains". The details are pretty vague, but I wanted to pose the question: Of the entire roster, who would you think the devs would count as a villain?

-Ganondorf
-Bowser
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Wolf
-K rool
-Mewtwo (I know pokemon aren't usually considered "good" or "evil" but this game's version seems like the bitter, human-genocide version of Mewtwo)
-Dedede (Obviously not a truly evil guy, but still possibly an antagonist to Kirby)
-Piranha Plant
-Wario maybe? (I know we've argued his villain status before but I'd say he leans more bad than good)

Did I miss anyone?
They actually have all the characters you can use on the official page. They do not count Piranha Plant but they do count Bowser Jr.

Also, Wario is just more of a douche than a villain

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Quick question for you all. If someone were to hypothetically design a Mario RPG themed T shirt, what would you want to see on it?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You do know how popular DQ is in Japan right?

Firox

Smash Master
They actually have all the characters you can use on the official page. They do not count Piranha Plant but they do count Bowser Jr.

Also, Wario is just more of a douche than a villain
Could you give me a link to the official page?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

-Ganondorf
-Bowser
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Wolf
-K rool
-Piranha Plant

Did I miss anyone?
I'm pretty upset with them thinking Meta Knight is evil, I don't think he's bad, sure there was that one time, but he never did anything else other than helping Kirby or Getting Brainwashed.

D

Deleted member

Wario went on an entire treasure hunting adventure just so he could get a bite to eat. I don't think he's THAT bad.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You do know how popular DQ is in Japan right?
Very true, but the servers in America (because Nintendo would surely have dedicated servers per country, something that is an industry standard) are separate from those in Japan. I'm sure Japan's servers were in much worse shape during the Hero's release than America's servers were. People must've been losing their fool minds.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
He never said it, no. He did say that they had a 'surplus of funds' in one interview, and whenever questioned about DLC development, he says development is going insanely well, moreso than the general public seems to imagine (i.e. the Hero and Banjo situation). After all, when Hero and Banjo were revealed, they were both looking damn near complete, and Sakurai later confirmed that. I'd say that characters 4 and 5 are in development now, so to be about halfway to February with three characters nearly done or completely done (B-K may be done and just held off for play-testing + spacing out releases appropriately, as a business would) is great progress, more than I'd expected.

tl;dr: He never stated this, but it is something that is a possibility based on how well the DLC's been handled so far. It's been progressing very well, as far as we are aware. I feel like it may well be ahead of schedule, but it's not a fact.
Which interview is this?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If it really turns out that SE is just being hyper greedy, then I'm gonna be so pissed. I mean, they are literally doing NOTHING with Geno and even if Nintendo offered them 15% of the profits or less, it's still free money! They would only have to hand over the rights and Nintendo/Sakurai would do all the work. You'd have to be the greediest little feck in the world to say, "You know what? Screw the fans. Screw this obscure character we almost forgot we even had. Screw money. You want this guy? Then pony up 80% of the profits, boyzzzz."

I sincerely hope this isn't the case, but if it was, I would hope that Nintendo would publicly call them out for it so I'd know where to focus my hate mail. I wonder if the backlash of thousands would help them grease the wheels a little. Maybe it would help if they knew how much freaking money this could make them. Think about it. At $5 a pop for even HALF the install base, we're looking at a minimum of $35,000,000! Take my money, people! Just let my Geno go!
Yeah that's smart, have Nintendo single out a Square Enix; that will guarantee great work relationship in the future.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Quick question for you all. If someone were to hypothetically design a Mario RPG themed T shirt, what would you want to see on it?
The Smithy Gang would be cool. Or, maybe something more obscure like Toadofsky and the tadpole scales.

Probably something that hasn't been done before. A Boshi/Exor shirt is desperately needed.
If you’re looking for Exor, this shirt is pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Remember, guys, I'm not trying to say who among the roster is evil. Just who the devs consider to be "villains". I admit that Metaknight started out kinda evil, but at the same time, he's kinda like Mewtwo. They were both bitter at the world but eventually came around to their own sense of honor. Wario we all know is a jealous, greedy money-grubber, but not straight-up evil. Ganondorf, Bowser, Dark Samus and Ridley are straight-up evil though. I would argue that Wolf isn't necessarily evil either. He's a mercenary that fights for whoever pays the most. The bad guys just seem to pay better. Plus he just wants to kill Fox to eliminate a rival mercenary team. Business is business.

Yeah that's smart, have Nintendo single out a Square Enix; that will guarantee great work relationship in the future.
They wouldn't have to outright single them out. In the event that Geno doesn't get in, they could just say, "We wanted him but couldn't secure the rights." That's enough to tell us that they tried but that SE was actually the stingy party involved. If Geno doesn't show up in any form, and Nintendo just sits there in dead silence, then I would question whether Nintendo/Sakurai even really cared in the first place.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

-Ganondorf
-Bowser
-Ridley
-Dark Samus
-Wolf
-K rool
-Piranha Plant

Did I miss anyone?
Wario does have an antagonistic role in the Subspace Emissary.

D

Deleted member

Plus he just wants to kill Fox to eliminate a rival mercenary team. Business is business.
He saved Fox once, though. He doesn't want to kill him, he wants to prove he's better than him.

Firox

Smash Master
He saved Fox once, though. He doesn't want to kill him, he wants to prove he's better than him.
True, he does seem more competitive than murderous. But wait, when did he save Fox? I forget.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Datboigeno Datboigeno I love what you did with the Skullomania comparison. Obviously there are some differences, but it's a very similar situation.

While I wasn't physically at EVO, I've watched nearly every EVO I think for like 5+ years. Seeing Skullomania was so ****ing hype, like OMG~!

Now that I think about it...this year's EVO was weak as hell in comparison to last years. Last year has BBTag reveal and then showing RWBY was in the game, Juubei reveal for Central Fiction, EX Fighting Layer reveal, Trunks reveal for FighterZ...like damn, it was hype for both announcements and the matches. I feel like this year was only hype about the matches (and only for certain games, as MK11's hype felt super forced and should have revealed Spawn but had nothing). Soul Calibur reveal was alright, but the hype was ruined by the poor presentation and we all knew Cassandra was coming. Tekken's was awesome as we got their own version of Ip Man and I'm hyped about that.

FighterZ turned out to be better than I thought, as Super Janemba actually looks cool and has unique mechanics and SSB Gogeta looks like they are really going all out for him! SFV's leak was pretty meh but the idea that Ono has something for Capcom Cup has me a bit antsy. MK11 made the mistake of having their reveal before EVO and not revealing a Guest character on the show-floor. Nintendo never invests in Smash so that was also unfortunate (apparently the EVO prize pool is a joke compared to others because Nintendo refuses to invest in it).

SamSho and Uniel were pretty high up there: Uniel is getting a new game/update after so many years of playing (it's been around since 2012, hit consoles on PS3 in 2014 JP/2015 US) so that was a pretty big deal as it could have easily been done with by now, and SamSho made it CLEAR they are supporting this game with a new character EACH MONTH FOR THE REST OF 2019 and one of them is FREE, then they announced more character for 2020 and that those character are poll winners? Jesus dude

And then, we have Guilty Gear...OH BOI! Anyone who saw that cannot tell me it's not the best-looking animated fighting game thus far. This already puts FighterZ to shame, and FighterZ is godlike!

Oh yeah, we got that August Smash Direct date at last year's EVO as well.

Yeah, last year's EVO was much better for reveals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom