• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ok, I’ve got a question for everyone: what’s your reaction gonna be if the Geno costume STILL doesn’t come with Sephiroth?
A weird mix of optimism, relief, and confusion? Though the confusion would be more if he's not a Mii costume or any of the three remaining characters.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If Geno's costume still doesn't come back, I think I'm just gonna start laughing. And not even the good kind of laughing, the kind that comes out on its own when you get hit by ten cars in one day and even you start to find it funny and laugh along with whatever higher power's messing with you.

Sure, it could be a miracle that means he's still in the game, but even then it's still a crazy train that I wanna just get off of at this point.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Wasn't Cloud announced as Smash x FF7 but sephiroth was just smash x Final Fantasy? Might mean we get music from older FF games
It's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Final Fantasy in the TGAs but it's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Final Fantasy VII in the YouTube upload, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
As I have always said, I'm with you all until the end of the line. While it may seem like now is that time, let's wait until the upcoming Sakurai presents. Hero didn't come with Geno's costume, so Sephiroth doesn't have to either. People thought Hero signed Geno's death warrant and it didn't happen. If Geno doesn't make an appearance with Sephiroth, there may be still hope yet. It isn't over until the fat Sakurai sings. If the Mii costume does appear, however...

It has truly been a pleasure my Geno ladies and gents.
maxresdefault.jpg

(I think I'll be posting in here more now up until Sephiroth's presentation because I want to be there for you guys)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Geno's costume still doesn't come back, I think I'm just gonna start laughing. And not even the good kind of laughing, the kind that comes out on its own when you get hit by ten cars in one day and even you start to find it funny and laugh along with whatever higher power's messing with you.

Sure, it could be a miracle that means he's still in the game, but even then it's still a crazy train that I wanna just get off of at this point.
So basically this kind of laughter?

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
well correct me if I’m wrong but I think sephiroth and geno are from the same company

so kind of hurts the chances since one character per pack
Dude this is the ****ing Geno thread. We’re allowed to be disappointed the character we wanted in is likely deconfirmed. Like for real get a clue.
Geno fans: “There are no rules! Anything is possible for Smash, stop gatekeeping!”

Also Geno Fans: “Aw ****, they added a Square Enix character that isn’t Geno, it’s not there any rules that said they can’t double dip, but oh well time to hit the hay and cry”

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So... that was quite the awards show... and that was also quite the reveal...

On one hand, Sephiroth is a big inclusion. No arguing with that. He's our first DLC villain, and also an opportunity to go back and "fix" Final Fantasy's currently paltry presence. Plus, if Min Min didn't kill off the "new worlds" argument, then Sephiroth definitely has...

... on the other hand, unless we're getting a double dip of two Square Enix characters this pass, things aren't looking so good for our favorite blue puppet. Looks like there's yet another bullet to dodge when the presentation comes (when is that coming, by the way?)... just wish we knew how many more bullets need to be dodged before Geno can finally get in.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Final Fantasy in the TGAs but it's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Final Fantasy VII in the YouTube upload, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
I kinda have a feelin sakurai wont settle for like 1 or 2 tracks only this time around, due to the standards of the other third parties in fighters but we'll see.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
So... that was quite the awards show... and that was also quite the reveal...

On one hand, Sephiroth is a big inclusion. No arguing with that. He's our first DLC villain, and also an opportunity to go back and "fix" Final Fantasy's currently paltry presence. Plus, if Min Min didn't kill off the "new worlds" argument, then Sephiroth definitely has...

... on the other hand, unless we're getting a double dip of two Square Enix characters this pass, things aren't looking so good for our favorite blue puppet. Looks like there's yet another bullet to dodge when the presentation comes (when is that coming, by the way?)... just wish we knew how many more bullets need to be dodged before Geno can finally get in.
The presentation for Sephiroth will be on the 17th at 5PM EST.

QQS

Smash Lord
If Geno’s Costume doesn’t show up with this Square character, Geno would be 100% confirmed then.

Maybe as a Bonus. There is no way there is a special individual DLC section just for the Plant. If this happens, I can see Geno playable as a Bonus, as a gift from the Gods.

Anyway, if the costumes return, 100% will be upgraded, so life goes on and let’s play Mii.

Geno is still alive.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Sephiroth was meant for E3 with Steve, then that would fit with last year. Big picks from both the East and West to open and close the showcase. This time just flipped so that the Western character is shown first.
I was thinking that.

It’s exactly like Hero and Banjo. Just like we predicted.

But not quite who we predicted.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wasn't Cloud announced as Smash x FF7 but sephiroth was just smash x Final Fantasy? Might mean we get music from older FF games
Which, I agree, is an important distinction. Final Fantasy has a comically small amount of content in Smash and, ironically, Sephiroth might actually be filling in the gaps with his spirits and costumes.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I was on a plane when Sephiroth was revealed so I couldn’t watch it live and ended up getting spoiled about it despite my attempts to avoid it. I was pretty disappointed because I feel like Geno’s mii costume might show up, but I can’t say that I’m not extremely excited for Sephiroth.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
okay thats it RANT TIME

IM NOT OKAY WITH THIS

While I disliked FF7 and believe it aged terribly, I found its remake quite fantastic and loved Sephiroth is this

HOWEVER

Square (or nintendo idk) is acting as if FF7 is the only thing ever that ever existed, what about like... THE 15 OTHER ENTRIES ???

I am TIRED of this praise for FF7 when charcaters like Sora, Chrono or Geno deserved a spot WAY MORE and ITS A FACT

Cloud was awesome and unexpected, you don't need to rereate this scheme TWICE

And TBH he looks BAD, looks like an AT they would have forgotten during dev... COME ON ? Zelda side B? Counter Down B? This characters a ****ing patchwork FFS

AAaaaaaand only 1 to 2 music and the stage is ugly af

Im pissed
Please relax, hes just a FF character, not satan

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Popped back in as I do when a reveal happens.

I ain't exactly given up, but this does hurt. The weirdest thing is despite liking final fantasy a lot my reaction is just "Oh Neat". Nothing really big like i feel like i should be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I suppose it's kind of ironic in the grand scheme of things that Sephiroth was actually rumored for the 2018 VGAs and wound up being the 2020 VGAs. So... Yet another 2018 rumor that came true; groovy. I'm just thinking now that if Geno survives next Thursday then things are definitely going to get interesting.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I suppose it's kind of ironic in the grand scheme of things hat Sephiroth was actually rumored for the 2018 VGAs and wound up being the 2020 VGAs. So... Yet another 2018 rumor that came true; groovy. I'm just thinking now that if Geno survives next Thursday then things are definitely going to get interesting.
I mean, Sephiroth just broke the tradition of one unique character per third-party series.
So he might also break the one character per third party per Fighters Pass too.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
I'm with Fatman on this, I ain't giving up until we see that Mii Costume!! Also there are some things that is still bothering me Like the Legacy takedown and the tweets of Imran Khan and Jeff Grub, Plus the rumors of Mario RPG remake or sequel. This is gonna be an interesting week

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Jesus christ, this game is amazing and Sephy is an amazing inclusion.

Please, **** off with this horrible attitude. A game doesn't have to give you everything you want to be good.

This is the **** people make fun of us for.
Sooo much this. Ultimate has answered so many big fan requests, to the point that Geno is pretty much the last one. Sephiroth is a super iconic villain. We don't have to **** on Sephiroth just because he isn't Geno, and blasting the game overall when it is so much better than any of us could have expected is just ridiculous. I garuntee you detractors are laughing over screenshots of these "**** Nintendo" posts over on gamefaqs right now, so let's just stop giving them ammunition.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've been quite highly aware of this community's run perhaps forever now - at least Smash 4-days up. And if that wasn't all, Geno's presence on the Smash-community beyond Boards is nothing short of legendary with it's keen and loud support around the internet.

So it does really pain me to watch what was perhaps last full bastion of such beloved, tenacious community be dealt a possibly final death blow. I dearly hope not. The passionate community around Geno is still very much nostalgic in it's way to me, and reminds me finely of the times how people championed so hard for first party-centric characters, hoping to make Smash Bros-series has big of a Nintendo-fest as it can be.

Furthermore, as someone having championed to different first party characters for years with somewhat enduring support themselves before their strangely prolonged deconfirmations themselves (Toad due being NPC in more ways than one and most Assist-trophy'd characters), this really stings to me in an empathetic way to read posts regarding an admittedly big-name villain being added to Smash - but the circumstances around it has wrung ignorant to the fan support of a character that the other company's holding, despite so, so many years of investment and recurring smaller tributes.

I hope the upcoming 17nth is still where Geno might end up not biting the bullet - otherwise I'm bit expecting the rest of the pass be these "big-name" videogame characters Nintendo wants to add in. And I frankly am wondering how that'd bode for rest of the speculation.

Hang in there, Geno's fine stardom.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I suppose it's kind of ironic in the grand scheme of things that Sephiroth was actually rumored for the 2018 VGAs and wound up being the 2020 VGAs. So... Yet another 2018 rumor that came true; groovy. I'm just thinking now that if Geno survives next Thursday then things are definitely going to get interesting.
Besides geno, did the game awards shake things up with other rumored characters?

QQS

Smash Lord
If Geno survives next Thursday, He is in, bro. Maybe as a Bonus or 9 (25°) or 11 or in FP3. If Geno costume doesn’t appear with Sephiroth, that means he is ready to be possessed again and Gaz doesn’t know that

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I was thinking that.

It’s exactly like Hero and Banjo. Just like we predicted.

But not quite who we predicted.
Is Geno really neccesarily and specifically an Eastern pick? I think he is definitely more Eastern than Ridley or Steve, but he seems pretty bipartisan like K. Rool or Sora.

I think if they wanted to make it specifically East and West like last E3, Geno is not the first East pick that comes to mind.

Also, I think it's funny that we pretty much got a Microsoft and Squenix character two E3's in a row. Calling it now, Fighter Pass 9 is gonna be a Metal Slug rep. :laugh:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Thinking about it more, you all definitely cheered me up over how disappointing this reveal was, and I appreciate the confidence boosting over the fact that Geno's costume could still be MIA with Sephiroth's wave, which if that's the case, it will be rather interesting. While I highly doubt Square will double dip for this Pass, it is, at the end of the day, just another fan rule and who says a company can't get more than one character in a Pass? Its unlikely to me, but its definitely possible.

Anyways, this may be my last post for the night. I really need to get some much needed sleep, even though it may be hard tonight. Here's hoping Geno's costume doesn't show up with Sephiroth! I'm just trying to keep the last bit of optimism I have left... ;_;

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Just wondering. Do you think Sakurai considers Geno more of a Square Enix character or more of a Mario character?
Also, it's only speculation that Sephiroth rules out Geno or even Sora (though I rule out Sora because Disney). So Geno is nowhere near dead yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom