• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Besides geno, did the game awards shake things up with other rumored characters?
Not really. Like I said, a 2018 character I dismissed ages ago made the jump so, ironically, Steve and Sephiroth, (characters first heard in the summer of 2018) finally came true this year despite being thought as fake or leakbait. If Geno's not in the next Mii costume wave, things bode extremely well for him.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Hey, remember when I said to HYPE RESPONSIBLY and I got yelled at for being a "doomer"?

Yeah, I think we all learned a valuable lesson tonight

View attachment 294971
The hype stuff is a two way street though. You cannot just blame fans as the longer they drag out things like that the more they get their hopes up so Nintendo are to blame in some respect. If characters like Geno and Lloyd are still Mii costumes they would be doing everybody a huge favour by just saying it straight away because then nobody can make a case for or against anymore. Sure it narrows down the list but trying to pin blame entirely on the fans when Nintendo know these characters have fans make them just as guilty as anybody else.

"Hype responsibly" just seems like apologist nonsense for people excusing a bad marketing decision to get people's hopes up more and more by dragging it out longer.

Last edited:

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Trolling
On the topic of Sephiroth's costumes, one thing that plays to our advantage is that Joker is the only character that has had a full six costumes. Most had five, Hero had 4. One is absolutely guaranteed to be the Chocobo hat so we've got at most 4 axe swings to survive. Also to our advantage... FFVII doesn't have any spirits yet and the Final Fantasy series has 14 mainline games but hardly any content in Smash. Given how Hero turned out, there's likely going to be at least one more costume specifically tied to FF VIII. That brings us down to 3 axe swings and FF VII has a character with a literal gun as an arm. Odds aren't looking as impossible now, are they?
1607658477802.png

heavy-duty bargaining stage

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, uh, yeah. The VGA were a thing. Honestly, I stopped watching after the reveal and considering how it went with the Awards, I made a good choice.

I'm still reeling from the shock and hype. I personally wanted either Doom Slayer and/or Geno but Sephiroth was revealed in such an epic way I didn't mind. The music, the presentation and animation were incredible.

I feel bad for the rest of the SE reps like Neku, Lara Croft, Sora (yes, actually) and Geno. Oh, Geno...

Not sure what to think. This reveal has so many implications. The one that matters to this thread, Geno's whereabouts. We might or might not see a body on the 17th. Not even going to say he is done but his chances are really hurt now.

Time to see what happens in the 17th and then...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

131120285_1638223119711421_760623679936516246_n.jpg

"The shock..."

:bowser: .

QQS

Smash Lord
If the people who decide wanted Geno to be a costume again, after all this ****ing insane Demand, they should already have dropped the costume back with Hero. Nintendo is aware about this and they listen, even if you don’t believe it.

The game is perfect each day more.

Geno’s chances are still safe and time will tell. There is no way Geno won’t be playable this time, I INSIST.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Okay I know what’s gonna happen: Geno Mii Costume along with Sephiroth but it will include Beware the Mushrooms Forest as a remix like Sans included MEGALOVANIA and Cuphead included whatever his song is called.

If Geno survives another Mii costumes presentation I’ll be ecstatic, but I think this is it guys. It fits too well to present his Mii costume now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember it's easier to report a trollish post than to reply. That way the mods take care of it faster.

Besides, we all know sometimes we reply poorly enough that it can be against the rules. In addition, you only give what the troll wants. Best to report and ignore. Then you win the day.

Anyway, I admit for the most part today was really damn perfect. I really did want to see Geno in with a SMRPG re-release. That would've been amazing, and it would mean a less mainstream character was shown off at TGA. A double win.

The DoE

Smash Rookie
Implying that Geno's getting costume'd next week (hopefully not)... Wouldn't it be ironic that he always got the costume treatment with FFVII characters?

Audioplasma

Smash Cadet

have y’all seen this video? When you add sephiroth to the graph there is still one more spot left fitting for geno so if we don’t see the costume I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay I know what’s gonna happen: Geno Mii Costume along with Sephiroth but it will include Beware the Mushrooms Forest as a remix like Sans included MEGALOVANIA and Cuphead included whatever his song is called.

If Geno survives another Mii costumes presentation I’ll be ecstatic, but I think this is it guys. It fits too well to present his Mii costume now.
We'll see. Food for thought... Nintendo copyright striked 2 SMRPG tracks on YouTube in 2019, not just one.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Well, i am surprised. I legit didn't expect Sephiroth at all, like at all. If we were getting another FF rep i didn't think it's be 7 again, but oh well.
Geno's chances ain't looking to hot at the moment, but I won't take a hard confirmation he won't come until FP11 (12? Do we count plant?) even if we do get a costume. A Long Shot is still a shot. I hope we get a trailer at the end of Sephiroths direct, I just want closure at this point.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Oh my god I am so hyped for Sephiroth! I understand he's a sore spot for many here. Your feelings are valid. But I personally am very excited for him, to the point that I don't mind much if Geno gets costume'd. That's just how I feel, I completely understand if most people here feel the opposite. And hey, fwiw, we don't know for certain yet if Geno's costume is returning. It's unlikely they'll do two SE characters in the same pass, but there's no law preventing it or anything. There's also the possibility of bonus characters or even a third pass - a slim possibility but it could happen! I'm not giving up hope until something more certain comes along.

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
There is still a bunch that doesn’t add up to me. Like all the Geno posting. The legacy xp stuff, and the whole “list”. I could see Geno as a bonus in this next presentation honestly. I think Thursday will be telling, but if it’s not.... Regardless I’m on this train till the end of the line me buccos.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

have y’all seen this video? When you add sephiroth to the graph there is still one more spot left fitting for geno so if we don’t see the costume I wouldn’t count him out just yet.
you realize that's a parody right?

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
There is still a bunch that doesn’t add up to me. Like all the Geno posting. The legacy xp stuff, and the whole “list”. I could see Geno as a bonus in this next presentation honestly. I think Thursday will be telling, but if it’s not.... Regardless I’m on this train till the end of the line me buccos.
For me I tend to not take stuff like that very seriously when it comes to smash reveals, there really isn't a precedent for nintendo going ham with tweets and other things referencing the unrevealed fighters pass characters.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Bro do you really think now is the time for this? Even as someone who I would say did keep expectations in check, even I came off incredibly disappointed. Like seriously, its f***ing normal to be disappointed, especially if the character you really wanted is probably deconfirmed. And even then, for people who did overhype, they are not the ones at fault here. They just wanted a character that would be hype.

Seriously, I'm so tired of people like you who act all high and mighty about this s***. Quit pretending like you aren't disappointed either because I guarantee you are just as disappointed as us.
Not really, to be honest.

I mean sure, I wanted BOTH Sora and Geno and I just got absolutely devastated with both of my picks being destroyed in one fell swoop and it stung a bit. But I've already made peace with it and basically moved on.

My post before came from a reoccurring problem I've run into with this particular sect of the Smash fanbase. You aren't allowed to have lowered expectations, you're labelled a doomer and you're told to shut up and stop "ruining the hype". I stop no one from wanting to enjoy themselves, but even trying to bring up the possibility of things maybe not working up is met with hostility and spite because how dare I not expect the moon and the earth to be handed to me.

I'll confess my previous post may have come off as a bit ruder than I intended but I've gotten so tired of being kicked around for not following the herd mentality, especially in Genocord. There's always the possibility of things not working out, how many times have the stars aligned for us only for the rug to be yanked out from under us? I say "Hype Responsibly" not because I want to ruin your fun, I say it because I truly hate to see everyone here and in Genocord get disappointed and sad, and it just keeps happening... because ya'll don't deserve to be yanked around like this.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

I mean sure, I wanted BOTH Sora and Geno and I just got absolutely devastated with both of my picks being destroyed in one fell swoop and it stung a bit. But I've already made peace with it and basically moved on.

My post before came from a reoccurring problem I've run into with this particular sect of the Smash fanbase. You aren't allowed to have lowered expectations, you're labelled a doomer and you're told to shut up and stop "ruining the hype". I stop no one from wanting to enjoy themselves, but even trying to bring up the possibility of things maybe not working up is met with hostility and spite because how dare I not expect the moon and the earth to be handed to me.

I'll confess my previous post may have come off as a bit ruder than I intended but I've gotten so tired of being kicked around for not following the herd mentality, especially in Genocord. There's always the possibility of things not working out, how many times have the stars aligned for us only for the rug to be yanked out from under us? I say "Hype Responsibly" not because I want to ruin your fun, I say it because I truly hate to see everyone here and in Genocord get disappointed and sad, and it just keeps happening... because ya'll don't deserve to be yanked around like this.
You make a good point and I also wanna apologize if I came off rude on my last post as well. At the time I was just really disappointed, but now I definitely have cheered up a bit and now I'm ready to move on. I appreciate the concern, but I think I'm over it now and as we approach Sephiroth's presentation, I will definitely keep my expectations in check and expect the worst, and hope for the best.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If the people who decide wanted Geno to be a costume again, after all this ****ing insane Demand, they should already have dropped the costume back with Hero. Nintendo is aware about this and they listen, even if you don’t believe it.

The game is perfect each day more.

Geno’s chances are still safe and time will tell. There is no way Geno won’t be playable this time, I INSIST.
Hero seemed to come with the Enix side, and Sephiroth will probably come with the Square side. Geno is the latter.

Geno may seem like a large deal, but he's a big fish in a little pond. It should be no surprise when Nintendo opts for the big pond.

Perhaps when people from elsewhere said it was dubious and being read into too much, they were right.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Well I figured I'd pop in here, now that most likely Geno is not going to be a playable fighter, It's a bummer but its been a fun ride.

However he is very likely to be a Deluxe Mii Costume with a music track (maybe even two?) probably shown off in a week. Those even tend to get mini-reveal trailers so that's honestly exciting. One of those Deluxe Mii costumes is a lot more than many characters will likely get (I feel very bad for Sora fans as that dream seems truly dead now). Seeing a nice modern fully rendered Geno in smash will be cool, so lets try and be happy with getting that. Undertale fans loved when the Sans Mii got in smash, we can love Geno this way too if that is indeed his fate.

If somehow he miraculously survives being a Mii costume with Sephiroth we can get suspicious and the Geno rollercoaster continues but for now I'm expecting a Mii and accepting it.

Anyway I hope everyone's holding up alright in here, the fact Geno is in smash in any form (even currently as a spirit) is a testament to how dedicated this fanbase has been for years.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman

Sora is NOT a Square Enix character he is owned and always has been owned by Disney. If he got into the game he'd be under the Disney trademark not Square Enix. Therefore any Square Enix character getting in has really zero impact on Sora's chances. So his chances are still exactly where they have been since the start. Now unfortunately for Geno the same cannot be said about him. As he IS owned by Square so Sephiroth getting in does severely hurt his chances. Because there's no reason to expect Square Enix to get more then one of their IP as playable fighters in the exact same pass.

Last edited:

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Well I figured I'd pop in here, now that most likely Geno is not going to be a playable fighter, It's a bummer but its been a fun ride.

However he is very likely to be a Deluxe Mii Costume with a music track (maybe even two?) probably shown off in a week. Those even tend to get mini-reveal trailers so that's honestly exciting. One of those Deluxe Mii costumes is a lot more than many characters will likely get (I feel very bad for Sora fans as that dream seems truly dead now). Seeing a nice modern fully rendered Geno in smash will be cool, so lets try and be happy with getting that. Undertale fans loved when the Sans Mii got in smash, we can love Geno this way too if that is indeed his fate.

If somehow he miraculously survives being a Mii costume with Sephiroth we can get suspicious and the Geno rollercoaster continues but for now I'm expecting a Mii and accepting it.

Anyway I hope everyone's holding up alright in here, the fact Geno is in smash in any form (even currently as a spirit) is a testament to how dedicated this fanbase has been for years.
I do apologize if I haven't been in the loop or just forgot about it, but what about that Smash Legacy takedown didn't you get a phone call about that?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Damnit, quit being a pessimistic doomer, PapaG!

Someone get him off the tranquilizers that his corporate overlords force him to take so that he can't be biased about his favorites and grows Alpahrad's facial hair!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sora is NOT a Square Enix character he is owned and always has been owned by Disney. If he got into the game he'd be under the Disney trademark not Square Enix. Therefore any Square Enix character getting in has really zero impact on Sora's chances. So his chances are still exactly where they have been since the start. Now unfortunately for Geno the same cannot be said about him. As he IS owned by Square so Sephiroth getting in does severely hurt his chances. Because there's no reason to expect Square Enix to get more then one of their IP as playable fighters in the exact same pass.
I can only at best see them going for a Sora costume here if they wanted to even tie him in. Since Sora is connected enough to FF to justify it.

Doesn't mean they'd get him. He'd probably be too expensive anyway. And if the rumors are true, Sora never stood a chance either way.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Yeah, we liked when Geno got in as a costume in 4 too because it was the first acknowledgement of any kind that they actually knew of the demand to have him in the game.

Bringing back the costume with a different Square character would already be really frustrating, like yeah, we know you want Geno, but we decided to add a different Sqaure character instead, take the same consolation prize you got last time.

Bringing back the costume with a THIRD SQUARE CHARACTER is like, yeah, we know you want Geno, and despite already adding in second character that wasn't him, we got the chance to get another character and STILL didn't put Geno in the game, enjoy the costume again.

Giving him a DELUXE costume with the THIRD Square character just feels like, yeah, we know you REALLY want Geno, but too bad, we had two extra chances and still decided not to, heres a SLIGHTLY BETTER consolation prize, please accept we are never putting him in and shut up already.

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Damnit, quit being a pessimistic doomer, PapaG!

Someone get him off the tranquilizers that his corporate overlords force him to take so that he can't be biased about his favorites and grows Alpahrad's facial hair!
There's a massive difference between being a pessimist and being a realist. He's not being a pessimist he's just being realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom