• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Nah, I get ya. It times it feels weird. The way Pass 1 went Sakurai seemed quite enthusiastic. Pass 2 hasn't gotten very far in, though he was pretty thrilled during Min Min's, and he was a bit more tired during Steve's. But you know, stuck at home, you tend to get a bit stressed.
I'm willing to bet it's the quarantine that's wearing on him more than anything. Sakurai seems like a pretty extroverted guy, and while I think he would work insanely masochistic hours wherever he is, not being able to interact with the rest of his dev team daily must be rough.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
TBH only way I see Sakurai doing a Fighter's Pass 3 is if he's allowed back in the office to interact with his coworkers. If he has to do it from home, I don't think he'd do it.
Yeah, pretty much.

I'm willing to bet it's the quarantine that's wearing on him more than anything. Sakurai seems like a pretty extroverted guy, and while I think he would work insanely masochistic hours wherever he is, not being able to interact with the rest of his dev team daily must be rough.
Indeed. That's what I mean by stress, really. Just couldn't word it right.

Well, when the pass is over, he might be able to take a decent break?

...If he would take one, anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Uh, yes, they did clarify before the Steve presentation that were would be no other fighters shown. Not this time though.
I know some others did, but I forget which. They usually make a tweet. This time they didn't. The closest was the next tweet talking about the presentation, which you wouldn't expect unless it was the only one to show off today, so.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Tonight was a bit of a letdown, but it's not officially over until we see Mii Gunner Geno and/or the pass is complete.

At this point, I'd be happy with the Mii outfit and a few music tracks.

I'm going to be real with you brilliant ****s as I am always - if Geno's costume doesn't come back with the one winged angel himself then they've just thrown Geno back into the garbage never to be seen again. It's not a sign of hope, it's roping us along as always.

Excluding his costume from the first pass was the greatest business move ever made because it suckered all of us into hanging onto Nintendo's every word about this atrocious game.
100%. Wasted two whole miserable years of my life speculating over this game and dealing with **** and mudslinging, and all I got in return was seeing pretty much every major want I got get stomped out one by one. I guess when I can't have anything good in life outside Smash, it's only right that one thing I got gets ruined for me too.

Man **** everything about this cycle. **** everything about this two year long deconfirmation. I wish this game never existed.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely love this Sephiroth pick. It’s like a monkey’s paw wish because Seph was probably the upper half of my top ten most wanted characters, yet who’s my number one? Geno...

Still, there’s no rule that says third parties can’t have multiple reps in the same pack. Fan-made “rules” have been broken all the damn time. Especially since Geno is a Mario character, more or less.

D

Deleted member

Well, on 12/17 I'm going to let out one final anger induced 10,000 word essay, delete my account and throw ultimate in the ****ing trash where it belongs.

It has been pleasant, mostly.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Welp, Sephiroth's showcase is practically going to be Judgement Day for you poor souls.

Either your most wanted is going to be cemented into Mii hell, or less likely, the gunner outfit's absence means they're adding him down the DLC road.

I honestly hope you guys do get him in, as a Shantae supporter I sympathize with all of you due to constant arbitrary scrutiny. They're fun appealing unique characters and people can just get over themselves and their inconsistent arbitrary bills of "deserving". Speaking of which...

As for Sephiroth...

This is coming from a guy who's username is a freaking Limit from the game he and Cloud came from.

Sephiroth is an awesome and iconic villain.

I grew up on a Playstation.

Final Fantasy VII is my Ocarina of Time much like how Crash Bandicoot is my Mario 64.

I was super hyped when I saw Cloud Strife, a character I grew up with but never actively wanted because I had zero faith FFVII could ever make it in. Even as the first Final Fantasy rep.

Do you really want to know how I felt about this reveal as a Final Fantasy fan?

All I saw was "Final Fantasy VII and it's compilation is all of Final Fantasy that matters".

In a sense.

Literal.

Pun intended.

Despair.

Unfortunately, there was no stopping this train we're on./ISPOILER]

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I know I don't post much in this thread but I just wanted to say I feel for you. It sucks not getting the character you wanted, however after Sakurai Presents, Geno may still be missing, he could still have a chance. At this point just wait it out and see what happens.
Same here, pretty much. My posts in the Geno thread are very infrequent, but I lurk here almost daily. This thread has become the de facto Smash speculation hub, and honestly, Geno represents Smash speculation more than his original game at this point. As someone who's been following the scene since 2007, I have a lot of affection for him. If nothing else, I want to pay my respects if his Mii costume (deluxe or not) shows up next week. But if that costume somehow doesn't make an appearance, I'm just gonna nope out of this thread for a while. Geno's diehard supporters and haters are going to be at each other's throats if there's even a shred of doubt regarding his fate, and I just don't need that kind of toxicity after the year I've had. Definitely not surrounding a hobby that's intended to be an escape.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Well, on 12/17 I'm going to let out one final anger induced 10,000 word essay, delete my account and throw ultimate in the ****ing trash where it belongs.

It has been pleasant, mostly.
"This game is now trash because the character I want isn't playable."

Seriously? I want Geno for you guys so much, but these are the types of comments people screencap and ridicule Smash fans for.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Flaming/harassment
Excluding his costume from the first pass was the greatest business move ever made because it suckered all of us into hanging onto Nintendo's every word about this atrocious game.
Man ** everything about this cycle. ** everything about this two year long deconfirmation. I wish this game never existed.
Petulant children. Grow the **** up. There are 78 ****ing characters, over 100 stages, over 1000 songs. It's a ****ing incredible game. We're all upset. But have some ****ing dignity about it - don't act like a spoiled brat because one character you wanted didn't get in.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Had a friend of mine propose an interesting theory to me. They thought that Geno might’ve been turned into a bargaining chip by Square Enix, and that in order for Geno to be used in Smash Square would get more content in the game (In this case the “more content” would be Sephiroth and a load of other Final Fantasy stuff)

I thought this was an interesting theory, and it could honestly go both ways. On one hand, yeah that sounds like a total Square Enix move to use Geno to bargain like that. More Square content = more money too, so if there’s an opportunity to get two characters in the game as DLC why would they not take it?

On the other hand, maybe this thought didn’t cross Square Enix’s mind at all. Maybe they were content with not adding Geno to the game, and Nintendo didn’t fight them on it?

There’s really not a lot we have to go on right now, so this isn’t me claiming “Yeah my friend’s theory was right on the money and this is what’s happening”. But I do think we kinda live or die based on how the 17th plays out. Steel yourselves Genobros, there’s still more Smash to be seen.
Now that I'm a little more relaxed, this is partly how I felt with Mega Man and Ryu last game. Assuming that costume isn't returning with Sephiroth next week, this wouldn't surprise me one bit. On the other hand, it ties into Nintendo picking the characters apparently. Perhaps they felt the need to scratch Square's back some more and Sakurai himself pretty much being a fan of Final Fantasy if his comments on Cloud in Smash Four are anything to go by. Either way, this is a damn dark hour for Geno and his fans and everyone is entitled to feel off about it, let it out as much as you can. I don't like being led on with characters I'm hopeful for only to deconfirm them at the last minute and Geno seemed like one of the last never-evers, and it seems very likely he may stay that way.

Oh well. Project M has filled many voids Ultimate left unchecked.

And to TheShiningAbsol TheShiningAbsol this might be a little hard for you to understand, but there are some people who still may not be happy with the roster, all of those features be damned. If K. Rool wasn't in, I damn sure wasn't going to buy Ultimate. Yes, one character literally was the make or break deal for me. I'm a Nintendo fan first and a Smash fan second. Let people be angry, let them vent. This isn't a free game, they expect you to pay money for these characters and you have a say in whether they get their money or not. I suspect a lot of Geno fans here are holding their dollars very tightly until they know for sure he's not getting in, which it sadly seem to be the case.

They're free to criticize. And if they lose faith, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Seriously? I want Geno for you guys so much, but these are the types of comments people screencap and ridicule Smash fans for.
I feel that's not a good way to put it. That just makes it sound like it's okay to ridicule people for it. It's not. They aren't happy with the product? They're free to get rid of it and delete their account on Smashboards.

I don't agree with the action, and I absolutely consider it overdramatic. But it's their choice. It's best to try and at least be a bit respectful of one's decision.

To clarify, getting rid of your file on a game you own isn't what I meant, so I'm editing it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good, let them ****ing screencap it, I've been ridiculed for less for longer than you've been alive. I don't have a single god damned thing to keep my pride for anymore.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Good, let them ****ing screencap it, I've been ridiculed for less for longer than you've been alive. I don't have a single god damned thing to keep my pride for anymore.
I mean this with no judging.

Perhaps therapy might be something to look into.

It helped me.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I feel that's not a good way to put it. That just makes it sound like it's okay to ridicule people for it. It's not. They aren't happy with the product? They're free to get rid of it and delete their account on Smashboards.

I don't agree with the action, and I absolutely consider it overdramatic. But it's their choice. It's best to try and at least be a bit respectful of one's decision.

To clarify, getting rid of your file on a game you own isn't what I meant, so I'm editing it.
What I take umbrage with is the comment I quoted was in response to a character possibly being disconfirmed. If someone buys a product, they are feel to do with it as they wish, yes. But that doesn't mean other people can't critique that person's methodology for how they choose to criticize a product.

If I bought a meal ticket to a grand buffet, I am able to partake in the feast and eat what I'd like since I bought the ticket. I don't see my favorite food, but there is so much other good food that I bought it anyways. I have hope that the buffet will add the food, but I'm still enjoying the buffet so I'll keep eating. Unfortunately, there is a hint that I perceive as one that confirms that my favorite food will never be served. All my opinions prior are now gone, the buffet's countless pros and accommodations are now mute because I didn't get the food I personally wanted. In fact, I'm not gonna say it is just disappointing, but it is TRASH.

See the issue? I technically have the right to give my opinion and deem what I feel is vital to the buffet being good (in this case the food I want). But if you loved it (or at least liked it) prior but because one specific thing didn't go your way you're deciding to delete your membership at that eatery and deeming it as trash... I'm sorry, but that's just plain immature.

Last edited:

Look man, I think we both know they'll riducule us no matter how we respond. They're already doing it offsite. I might as well be honest about how I feel.

Petulant children. Grow the **** up. There are 78 ****ing characters, over 100 stages, over 1000 songs. It's a ****ing incredible game. We're all upset. But have some ****ing dignity about it - don't act like a spoiled brat because one character you wanted didn't get in.
"One character" - more like my entire wishlist lmao. I didn't lose out on just one, I got none and I've faced harassment over most of them offsite. Forgive me for not feeling blessed right now, ****wad. There's only so many times I can gt kicked in the teeth and keep smiling, especially now that I know there isn't a light at the end of this tunnel and I blew two years of my failure of a life for nothing. If that makes me a baby, so ****ing be it.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see that so many are still staying positive. Reading the comments has really helped a lot and just taking some time to step back has helped. We definitely shouldn't give up regardless of what happens in a week's time or by the end of the DLC cycle for Ultimate. There is only demand for Geno so long as we keep it there so there will always be work for us to do. Remember the letters that we wrote? The fundraiser that we contributed to? The friends we made along the way? This community does have the ability to be seen and to make a difference. We are the only thing keeping Geno's name alive in speculation so we cannot afford to stop and there is so much more that we can do.

Geno might be Mii costumed. He might not show up at all costume or character. Or maybe fortune will shine on us and our wishes will be granted with playable Geno breaking the "rule" of only one character per company per pass, or as a bonus, or as part of a fighters pass third time's the charm edition which are all distinct possibilities. No matter what we can't stop until he awakens again.

Here's some thoughts I had about today. Sephiroth is such a huge iconic name as well as Steve. Min Min clearly is an outlier in this pass so far. I've been thinking about that phrase "truly extra" and I am starting to hesitantly regain some hope. Nintendo picking the characters has always worried me, but I can understand them wanting to go for such big characters like Steve and Sephiroth with Min Min basically being the easy to secure first party pick to kick things off like PP. This means we could be in store for some exciting characters to come. I do worry though because many characters I want are not big names outside of Smash except for Master Chief and maybe Crash if he's considered big. It'll be interesting to see where things go from here. I think it's just too impossible to read how things will play out at this point. "Truly extra" is so ambiguous it doesn't really give us any clues. If Steve and Sephiroth were the E3 reveals then that makes sense given how big they are but if they were intended as separate reveals we could be in for a pass chock full of huge names. It would be incredible (for me) to see some huge names like Master Chief or Crash make it. Seeing a villain also changes things. Maybe Wesker could be a character added to Smash now. Doors are opening in ways we never expected even though they seem to be shutting on our beloved Geno. But they haven't shut yet and even if they do we need to keep pushing and reaching for the stars. This pass seems to be more grandiose than the last. The movesets so far have been creative and innovative and fresh and a majority of the characters have been an undeniably huge deal. There is hope for this pass yet that much is for sure.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
If the absence of a single character is enough to ruin the game for you, it begs the question as to what definition of fan you are.

Everyone has characters they want not make it, but at the point you were drawn to the series in the first place the character wasn't there. And yet something still presumably clicked.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Look man, I think we both know they'll riducule us no matter how we respond. They're already doing it offsite. I might as well be honest about how I feel.
"One character" - more like my entire wishlist lmao. I didn't lose out on one, I got none and I've faced harassment over most of them offsite. Forgive me for not feeling blessed right now, ****wad.
Look. I went through stuff like that with the Smash 4 Ridley thread.

Trust me, lashing out isn't the way. It eats at you, man.

Don't calm down for them. Calm down for you.

Find something that'll make you happy for now. That's the most important thing to do right now.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Geno fans: “There are no rules! Anything is possible for Smash, stop gatekeeping!”

Also Geno Fans: “Aw ****, they added a Square Enix character that isn’t Geno, it’s not there any rules that said they can’t double dip, but oh well time to hit the hay and cry”
Randoms that jump into the Geno Thread: “Wanting things and being disappointed you didn’t get said things is cringe. Feeling and expressing disappointment is a phenomenon exclusive to the Geno thread. I am very smart.”

If the absence of a single character is enough to ruin the game for you, it begs the question as to what definition of fan you are.

Everyone has characters they want not make it, but at the point you were drawn to the series in the first place the character wasn't there. And yet something still presumably clicked.
Woah man you really opened our eyes here. We really aren’t true fans at all because we voiced our disappointment. People that jump into specific character threads to condescend the regular posters there are the true Super Smash Brothers Fans. Thank you so much for this insight. God bless <3

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Woah man you really opened our eyes here. We really aren’t true fans at all because we voiced our disappointment. People that jump into specific character threads to condescend the regular posters there are the true Super Smash Brothers Fans. Thank you so much for this insight. God bless <3
There’s a discernible line between expressing disappointment and calling an entire game **** because one character isn’t in it.

Edit: God bless <3

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
There’s a discernible line between expressing disappointment and calling an entire game **** because one character isn’t in it.
No one is genuinely doing that. You are creating strawmen to be mad at. And even if they did: Who gives a ****? This is basically a containment thread. Let people vent. No one who actually had a hand in making the game truly gives a ****. If you willingly come to a specific character thread looking for reasons to get mad and condescend to people then people are going to tell you that you are pathetic.

Last edited:
Look. I went through stuff like that with the Smash 4 Ridley thread.

Trust me, lashing out isn't the way. It eats at you, man.

Don't calm down for them. Calm down for you.

Find something that'll make you happy for now. That's the most important thing to do right now.
At least you eventually got Ridley. As long as I'm still breathing, God or whoever pulls the shots ain't putting no Geno in no Smash Bros. Or anything that would appeal to me to the point I could have the hypegasms so many other people got to experience at least once through Ultimate. That would be me getting something nice and I know that I don't deserve anything positive even though I somehow deluded myself into thinking otherwise and let them string me along for two years just to throw pie in my face and laugh at me for falling for that long-winded practical joke. I know you tryna help me and all but being calm won't make me not a pathetic, miserable loser who doesn't deserve ****. Considering that I'm good eating myself til I become the ghost in my profile pic, it's not like I'll lose anything.

Last edited:

josguil

Smash Rookie
Long time lurker here.

I'm here to say I feel defeated. Chances are Square Enix doesn't put 2 characters in this pass, so my only hope is that there is a 3rd one, but that's a lot to ask.

The only realistic thing I can hope for is an updated mii costume with especial music. And even that is just a lame consolation price considering Geno is already the king of consolation prices. Special anounce for the mii last smash, highest rank spirit this one...

So I've accepted this defeat. I no longer have the strength to keep hoping for something that may never happen.
This is a dark day.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Are you going to every other support thread to post stuff like this when their character isn't the one revealed, or are you just cherrypicking the Geno thread because we're the most vulnerable? Because I can assure you, this kind of negativity can be present everywhere.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Look guys, I know this is tough. Yes, if this means that the Mii Gunner is in then better luck next time. We don’t know that’s the case yet though.

I’m not one to say, “I’ve been through worse” but I think the disappointment everyone here is feeling is the same kind of disappointment the Snake thread felt during the reveal of PAC-MAN in Smash 4. They put so much focus on the 3rd party characters in and left Snake out in the cold. In the end, we WERE defeated, we never did get Snake in Smash 4. Even though we had that little bit of hope for a long time during DLC we still got pushed down over and over. It sucked.

Take Ridley, Banjo, and K. Rool, the three ABSOLUTELY HUGE characters of speculation in Smash 4. Constantly pushed down by detractors about being too big, or too irrelevant. Constantly going back and forth about how Sakurai says. As someone who was there as well. It sucks.

Flash forward two years though, two and a half for Banjo, and look where they are now. All I’m saying is there’s always a chance, however small it may seem to you guys, that this isn’t the end. Even IF the Mii Gunner gets in and becomes a PreMiium, as much as I know it sucks to hear, there’s always next game; or the way I see it, Smash Ultimate Deluxe. Ridley, K. Rool, Snake, Wolf, Banjo, Chrom, Mewtwo, Roy, and more throughout the games got told the same thing. But they always had a sliver of hope, no matter how tiny, that kept their fandom going. I mean, look at Isaac fans. Pushed in the dirt since Brawl but they’re, we’re, still a rather jolly bunch. And that’s what’s important on here. It’s a place where you can share your love for the character even if they somehow never get in. You can still share your love with others who feel the same way.

Chin up guys. It’s not over till Sakurai says it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom