• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sometimes I wish Verge was just.... a nicer person. It sure would be nice for a nice person to be holding all the information instead of kind of a jerk ass.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Here's some things to note as well about Xenother's first post:

Concerning Verge-level of credibility:
I also want to stress that just because some of what I have heard overlaps with Vergeben, it does not mean that he endorses everything I'm saying or that he is in complete agreement with everything that I have heard.

Concerning the "Geno deconfirm":
There are a few things that I can tell you that I'm as close to sure of as I can be...

Here's his reasoning:
As for how I know who isn't in the game, I'll use the Square characters as an example. I, like others have heard multiple names when it comes to the Square characters. I heard Geno's name from multiple people, but was told each time (and I mean every time) that it isn't this character, Geno isn't in, or this one is intentional misinformation/leakbait/a red herring/etc. And specifically with Square there are things pointing to other characters.

Back to my reasoning for leakbaiting Geno...WHY would any company who wants to make money do that? Additionally, this is still only what Xenother is hearing, Vergeben may not endorse it, and Xeno not even 100% it's only based on his sources which he says are credible. But them overlapping doesnt entirely mean Geno is out. His info also overlaps with PolarPanda's info (AT's not being upgraded to fighters) and PPanda's source says the Geno rumor is still valid and there is no news. (hopefully Meaning no confirm or deconfirm)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for how I know who isn't in the game, I'll use the Square characters as an example. I, like others have heard multiple names when it comes to the Square characters. I heard Geno's name from multiple people, but was told each time (and I mean every time) that it isn't this character, Geno isn't in, or this one is intentional misinformation/leakbait/a red herring/etc. And specifically with Square there are things pointing to other characters.
How would the people know this?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
He doesn't, that's his mistake. If he heard Geno's name, he heard Geno's name. It is an assumption to say "Even though I heard the name, it's DEFINITELY not him!" or "He's obvious leakbait". Like, really? People also thought Ridley was leakbait and didn't believe it. If only he could provide some sort of logic as to why he's so sure hearing Genos is the Enix rep is somehow baiting or a red herring.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Here is my take. Hitagi is only sticking to Steve now, nobody else. He dropped Katalina, and said all of his other leads were RED HERRINGS. That leads me to believe, if anything, he's saying DQ was a red herring. iirc one of his posts was literally "the only character I'm sure of anymore is Steve". Verge was probably saying the other characters were red herrings, which would have made it obvious who was leaking it so they would have gotten ninja'd. They weren't safe characters, likely.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I didn't think of it that way at all. You definitely have a good point there so thank you for clarifying the situation to me. RIP to any potential employees that were caught giving out information.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, his explanation makes no sense. If Geno's leak bait, why would multiple people go out of their way to tell him it was, especially in the case that he's all but certainly a secondary source? There's no incentive of Nintendo employees to protect someone like him. Dollars to donuts he's not a Nintendo employee so it's not like they're protecting their own. The whole point of leak bait is to catch people red handed. The whole statement is contradictory.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't, that's his mistake. If he heard Geno's name, he heard Geno's name. It is an assumption to say "Even though I heard the name, it's DEFINITELY not him!" or "He's obvious leakbait". Like, really? People also thought Ridley was leakbait and didn't believe it. If only he could provide some sort of logic as to why he's so sure hearing Genos is the Enix rep is somehow baiting or a red herring.
He's just heard from all his sources that it's pointing away from Geno. But he also said he's "as sure as he can be" which isn't 100%. Hitagi's sources fell through on Katalina, and loz's sources fell through as well. Your source maintains the rumor, so there's clearly multiple sayings going around, which further leads me to believe Xeno is still not 100% sure. And until he responds, I'm not sure Vergeben is either which is why he hasn't confirmed or denied.

Yeah, his explanation makes no sense. If Geno's leak bait, why would multiple people go out of their way to tell him it was, especially in the case that he's all but certainly a secondary source? There's no incentive of Nintendo employees to protect someone like him. Dollars to donuts he's not a Nintendo employee so it's not like they're protecting their own. The whole point of leak bait is to catch people red handed. The whole statement is contradictory.
And leakbait isn't exactly a deconfirm? Wouldn't it be more incriminating if someone leaked a character that is actually in? No one's cracked down on Verge yet...

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, we’re kind of in a position where we don’t really have to care about leaks at the moment because the datamine will tell us literally everything we need to know.

If Geno’s a Spirit, he’s most likely out of the running. But if he isn’t(and the way things are going with the music and such it’s looking more and more like that’s the case), then he’s practically confirmed.

link2702

Smash Champion
While we shouldn’t give up hope yet guys, really I’ve mentioned it multiple times before, but it needs repeating, we really just need to wait it out till nintendo reveals the character.

You can run through all the reasons why geno is the most likely pick, you can run through all the reasons why DQ and sora would be a licensing nightmare, sakurai bias, etc, but at the end of the day, Square-Enix is very very good apparently at keeping leaks from happening here, and we just aren’t gonna know anything till dec6(assuming we actually even get a dlc reveal then)

If you get too confident, rationalizing all the reasons why he makes the most sense to where you’re fully convinced he’s in, only to not have him make it, you’re basically setting yourself up to be devastated.

Of course, also due to how good Square-Enix is at preventing leaks, don’t throw in the towel completely with this bit of news.

I know it’s hard because we’re forced into a situation where we literally don’t know anything, and the unknown is often more stressful than the positive or negative, but we’ve just gotta accept it.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
While we shouldn’t give up hope yet guys, really I’ve mentioned it multiple times before, but it needs repeating, we really just need to wait it out till nintendo reveals the character.

You can run through all the reasons why geno is the most likely pick, you can run through all the reasons why DQ and sora would be a licensing nightmare, sakurai bias, etc, but at the end of the day, Square-Enix is very very good apparently at keeping leaks from happening here, and we just aren’t gonna know anything till dec6(assuming we actually even get a dlc reveal then)

If you get too confident, rationalizing all the reasons why he makes the most sense to where you’re fully convinced he’s in, only to not have him make it, you’re basically setting yourself up to be devastated.

Of course, also due to how good Square-Enix is at preventing leaks, don’t throw in the towel completely with this bit of news.

I know it’s hard because we’re forced into a situation where we literally don’t know anything, and the unknown is often more stressful than the positive or negative, but we’ve just gotta accept it.
We don’t need to wait for Nintendo at all, though, in our very particular situation. A Geno spirit(or lack thereof, preferably) is essentially all we need to know about, and that full list ei inevitably be be datamined in the next few days.

Last edited:

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
i don’t know, if they are spreading out a lot of names but saying “ITS DEFINITELY NOT GENO THOUGH!” ...that’s fishy right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, we’re kind of in a position where we don’t really have to care about leaks at the moment because the datamine will tell us literally everything we need to know.

If Geno’s a Spirit, he’s most likely out of the running. But if he isn’t(and the way things are going with the music and such it’s looking more and more like that’s the case), then he’s practically confirmed.
I dunno. We have hours and hours of footage now and like 90%+ of the spirits documented without a datamine so it kind of goes to show, if he's a spirit, he's really tucked away in the game and, again, he'd literally be the only Square Enix one. I feel like that's notable. It might lower his chances but not entirely erase them.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Speaking of all the stuff being found in the final game, I know this is off-topic, but are all of the music tracks in Smash confirmed already? Some guy said 1100 tracks, but is that the total number? There's one specific music track that a few of us are looking for.

A few of us are looking for the E3 Demo/Beta Battlefield OST. Was it found in the final game?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I asked my contact about how this Gamefaqs user is claiming he thinks Geno is a 'red herring' or 'leakbait'. He replied to me telling me he doesn't know and will ask about it tomorrow morning. So we'll have an update tomorrow.

Though, I wouldn't put much stock into this GameFAQs user to begin with.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Man, stuff like this makes me really want to see Geno get into the spinoff games.
They made a Luma a playable character in Mario Tennis Aces? I am stunned, simply stunned (not in a bad way). At this point, I'm just going to stop any assumptions or expectations knowing full well that anything is possible with Nintendo lately. Lol.

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
We don’t need to wait for Nintendo at all, though, in our very particular situation. A Geno spirit(or lack thereof, preferably) is essentially all we need to know about, and that full list ei inevitably be be datamined in the next few days.
We're talkig about Nintendo, Sakurai and Smash Bros here. Anything can happen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They made a Luma a playable character in Mario Tennis Aces? I am stunned, simply stunned (not in a bad way). At this point, I'm just going to stop any assumptions or expectations knowing full well that anything is possible with Nintendo lately. Lol.
Ummm...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sometimes I wish Verge was just.... a nicer person. It sure would be nice for a nice person to be holding all the information instead of kind of a jerk ***.
It doesn't help that he primarily posts in Gamefaqs. ResetEra is a better general area to do that in, for lord's sake.

Man, stuff like this makes me really want to see Geno get into the spinoff games.
In my case, it increases my hopes of Pauline getting in Smash in the future. Embarrass

I dunno. We have hours and hours of footage now and like 90%+ of the spirits documented without a datamine so it kind of goes to show, if he's a spirit, he's really tucked away in the game and, again, he'd literally be the only Square Enix one. I feel like that's notable. It might lower his chances but not entirely erase them.
Yeah, at that point we'd just be scratching the surface of a big list of potential SE characters. It could be anyone.

Well then! Didn't know Mario Tennis Open had an unlockable Luma either. I have to get more up to date with Mario Tennis, it seems. Thanks for letting me know!
Also, Ultra Smash had a Sprixie. Yet both aren't as odd as the Chain Chomp.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well then! Didn't know Mario Tennis Open had an unlockable Luma either. I have to get more up to date with Mario Tennis, it seems. Thanks for letting me know!
The strangest thing about Luma being in Open is that Rosalina was absent from the roster.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hopefully in the future Mario Kart can stop depending on stuff like "Pink Gold Peach" and add more unique characters like Pauline

Geno and Mallow

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Also, Ultra Smash had a Sprixie. Yet both aren't as odd as the Chain Chomp.
I love Chain Chomp in Aces, although playing against great Chain Chomp players in online battles can be a nightmare sometimes. Lol

The strangest thing about Luma being in Open is that Rosalina was absent from the roster.
You don't say? Considering how much they've been pushing Rosalina over the years, that is pretty strange indeed. Maybe they didn't have the time to focus on adding her to the game or something? But I really don't know.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I couldn't give a flying fig about the non platformer and RPG Mario games ( though I guess the puzzle games are ok ), but if they were to think about including characters like Geno ( or heck, even Wart, Tatanga, and other forgotten faces ) then they might actually have my attention. As it stands now I just roll my eyes when they keep adding baby versions of characters, generic mooks, and worst of all, "the same character but in a different costume/made of a metal alloy"

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I asked my contact about how this Gamefaqs user is claiming he thinks Geno is a 'red herring' or 'leakbait'. He replied to me telling me he doesn't know and will ask about it tomorrow morning. So we'll have an update tomorrow.

Though, I wouldn't put much stock into this GameFAQs user to begin with.
Wheww praying for good news!!

I’m not putting 100% stock in him yet given that Verge has yet to 100% corroborate. I simply don’t think anyone is 100% sure of anything, only hints as to what the DLC COULD be. Which is why he’s like “yeah I talked to him” just so he has a fallback to go “I talked to him but I never confirmed anything he was saying” but he also knows if he goes “I think he’s wrong” then if he’s right people will go “VERGE WAS WRONG HE BACKPEDALED”

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I couldn't give a flying fig about the non platformer and RPG Mario games ( though I guess the puzzle games are ok ), but if they were to think about including characters like Geno ( or heck, even Wart, Tatanga, and other forgotten faces ) then they might actually have my attention. As it stands now I just roll my eyes when they keep adding baby versions of characters, generic mooks, and worst of all, "the same character but in a different costume/made of a metal alloy"
I'm sure people would be excited to see Wart and Tatanga in one of these spin offs. A lot more excited than Goomba in the least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure people would be excited to see Wart and Tatanga in one of these spin offs. A lot more excited than Goomba in the least.
Yeah. A lot of the time Mario sports/party spin-offs feel like the staff picks random names out of a hat (especially with Mario Kart, I still don't get why they cut Waluigi and Diddy among others for Queen Bee in 7 :rolleyes:).

Picking Boom Boom/Pom Pom's okay at least, a mini-boss is a step up from regular troops.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'd be excited for a Goomba, if that Goomba was pink, and also an archaeologist with a ponytail, and was Goombella. Would love to see her in 3D, though I'd also take a flat character. Like the spinoffs should be all branches of the Mario franchise new and old coming together, not just the characters approved to be in the regular rotation.

Heck, I'd be happy to see E. Gadd or the Warioware cast, but they seem to be stuck in their respective franchises... at least E. Gadd was in the Mario and Luigi games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be excited for a Goomba, if that Goomba was pink, and also an archaeologist with a ponytail, and was Goombella. Would love to see her in 3D, though I'd also take a flat character. Like the spinoffs should be all branches of the Mario franchise new and old coming together, not just the characters approved to be in the regular rotation.

Heck, I'd be happy to see E. Gadd or the Warioware cast, but they seem to be stuck in their respective franchises... at least E. Gadd was in the Mario and Luigi games.
In regards to that, I figure it's that pesky cultural habit of being hesitant to use other people's things and respectfully leave them be (which is how we got said franchises, apparently). In the meantime, I'm glad that Pauline is no longer consigned to endless Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Minis installments for the rest of time.

That being said, I'll be off to bed, theorize responsibly, everyone.

(You're not alone on wanting Goombella though.)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, something to think about:

-We've survived all three AT massacres.

-We've survived the music data mine.

-We're like the only popular character that hasn't been seen as a spirit despite almost everyone else that people care about including third party characters being seen by Tuesday of this week when the embargo lift was Monday.

-90+% of the spirits have been found and documented without a datamine.

I think we're still in good shape.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
So, something to think about:

-We've survived all three AT massacres.

-We've survived the music data mine.

-We're like the only popular character that hasn't been seen as a spirit despite almost everyone else that people care about including third party characters being seen by Tuesday of this week when the embargo lift was Monday.

-90+% of the spirits have been found and documented without a datamine.

I think we're still in good shape.
Also, even tho NoJ picked the characters it doesn’t rule out Sakurai bias right? If one of those characters happened to be Geno wouldn’t y’all think he would jump right on it?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hey all, been popping back in lately to see what's going down, and decided to post. I've mostly shrugged off the 11/1 direct blues/shock now, and am comfortably looking forward to Ultimate once more. I'm even actually kind of liking the idea of playing Piranha Plant now, lol.

Looks like a lot has happened for Geno's chances...some encouraging stuff, and some less so. Personally, I'm not inclined to believe Xenother, or at the very least not believe it leads to disconfirmation for Geno. A lot of people have heard things, but nobody has the certainty that Verge had when he said Ken, Incineroar and Isabelle. I'm more inclined to believe PolarPanda PolarPanda due to his source being right even about bad stuff several times before, but even then, this is all still theoretical. Once again, we're mostly back at a belief stage of speculation.

However...I will say that some things about the data we have are very strange. For one, if there truly isn't a Geno spirit, why is there an online icon? That's the most suspicious thing to me. It's an incredibly odd place to reference him offhand. If the Mii costume is there it's less odd, but even so, it seems like a strange selection for a player icon option.

Then there's the "missing" character. If true, and Geno is possibly that character, it could explain the online token. Maybe all playable characters were given tokens, but Geno was cut, and his token left in?

I was also unaware that Yoko Shimomura had the rights to SMRPG's music--very interesting, and could explain how they got Forest Mushrooms so easily for the Geno costume trailer, as well as that song for Fortune Street. Could someone link the source for that info? I'd really like to know how someone found out she had the rights.

In any case, I'm hopeful for Geno once again. :) I tried to get out of Smash speculation, but it pulled me right back in...

Let's face it, guys...we're gonna do this every time--till Geno gets in, at least.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Also, even tho NoJ picked the characters it doesn’t rule out Sakurai bias right? If one of those characters happened to be Geno wouldn’t y’all think he would jump right on it?
First off, amazing name. Second, yeah I think if NoJ went to Sakurai saying they wanted Geno, Sakurai would be 100% on board. It comes down to what other characters they have in mind.

Hey all, been popping back in lately to see what's going down, and decided to post. I've mostly shrugged off the 11/1 direct blues/shock now, and am comfortably looking forward to Ultimate once more. I'm even actually kind of liking the idea of playing Piranha Plant now, lol.

Looks like a lot has happened for Geno's chances...some encouraging stuff, and some less so. Personally, I'm not inclined to believe Xenother, or at the very least not believe it leads to disconfirmation for Geno. A lot of people have heard things, but nobody has the certainty that Verge had when he said Ken, Incineroar and Isabelle. I'm more inclined to believe PolarPanda PolarPanda due to his source being right even about bad stuff several times before, but even then, this is all still theoretical. Once again, we're mostly back at a belief stage of speculation.

However...I will say that some things about the data we have are very strange. For one, if there truly isn't a Geno spirit, why is there an online icon? That's the most suspicious thing to me. It's an incredibly odd place to reference him offhand. If the Mii costume is there it's less odd, but even so, it seems like a strange selection for a player icon option.

Then there's the "missing" character. If true, and Geno is possibly that character, it could explain the online token. Maybe all playable characters were given tokens, but Geno was cut, and his token left in?

I was also unaware that Yoko Shimomura had the rights to SMRPG's music--very interesting, and could explain how they got Forest Mushrooms so easily for the Geno costume trailer, as well as that song for Fortune Street. Could someone link the source for that info? I'd really like to know how someone found out she had the rights.

In any case, I'm hopeful for Geno once again. :) I tried to get out of Smash speculation, but it pulled me right back in...

Let's face it, guys...we're gonna do this every time--till Geno gets in, at least.
Glad to see you back! I agree with the icon. It is exceptionally bizarre that it was shown, but nothing else of him has been seen. Something doesn't add up. Since he hasn't been seen as a spirit yet (or costume if I'm not mistaken) that token is the only piece of Square material that has been used aside from Cloud and his stage/music. Seeing pretty much every other big character be revealed as a spirit bodes well for Geno in my eyes. I think the complete lack of Square content is surprising, but it is very positive in my books as it doesn't deconfirm him. I'm unfortunately on "Team Spirit means won't be playable". I could be wrong, but I have a gut feeling that Spirits won't be playable.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Also taking that into consideration I posed a question to the Discord which I think may have been covered here, but I also have a theory that maybe also DLC is chosen by how easily/viable all three parts of the DLC (character, stage, and music) would be in deciding characters. I know Sakurai can do ANYTHING but he’s also smart and sensible. I feel like since Geno is based off of a Mario world it would be easier/sensible to get more assets for a stage as well as (as you all have said) easier to get rights to music (especially if SE is being stingy like they are with FF, presumably he wouldn’t have to go through them with Music if it’s SMRPG)

owjies

Smash Journeyman
It's really interesting that there are zero Square spirits while Geno appears as an online battle tag. It could be a foreshadowing for Geno DLC in a similar manner to Lucas and Mewtwo. Perhaps there would be a cache of Mario RPG spirits that would get added alongside Geno as a fighter. On the other hand, It seems that Square is extremely protective of their IP. Perhaps it could simply be that Square didn't want their characters represented as disembodied spirits. Since Sakurai couldn't make Geno a spirit, he chose to stick Geno in as a battle tag in order to "soft disconfirm" him alongside Shantae, Paper Mario, BWD, Rex, Elma, etc.

More than anything, though, I think the lack of any Mario RPG music is a big deal. Yoko Shimomura is on staff for Smash Ultimate. Acquiring the rights to SMRPG's score shouldn't be an issue, especially since they used Beware the Forest's Mushrooms during the Mii Costume reveal in 2015. Considering that music is an advertised part of the fighter pass, then any discovered music would've seriously hurt Geno's chances. This is a big sigh of relief for me even though I'm dying to hear a Smashified remix of Battle Against an Armed Boss.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Hopefully in the future Mario Kart can stop depending on stuff like "Pink Gold Peach" and add more unique characters like Pauline

Geno and Mallow
I know this is late, but before the game even came out, I remember seeing an old 4chan leak about Mario Tennis Aces DLC characters. Unfortunately it was fake, but Geno was on that DLC list leak with a bunch of other unique Nintendo characters. I'm pretty sure the list is fake. Oh look, I found it right when I was about to post this.

To this day, I have no clue why Nintendo and Square didn't put Geno or Mallow in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 or Mario Sports Mix, ugh, it was such a missed opportunity. I mean, if they can add Ninja, a Moogle and Cactuar, then Geno and Mallow can fit in, too. To think if Geno and Mallow were bought by Nintendo back in the late '90s, I'm most certain that we definitely would've seen them in Double Dash, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Super Sluggers and more Mario RPG games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom