• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77229113

So take this thread with an even bigger grain of salt, but this second thread comes from a guy who claims he's an NoA employee and goes into a little bit of detail on how NDAs and leaks work. At one point in the thread, he was asked about his thoughts on Vergeben and Hitagi and responded with this:

"Seen them and I've seen this other joker on here claiming he knows both and in truth I'm honestly skeptical about them. With Vergeben in particular, I hear some telling me they had one of sources tracked down and there's nothing legally they can do to Verge cause it's not like he violated an NDA. This Hitagi guy is whatever, I've never heard anyone bring him up. "

Now, I assume the other "joker" he's referring to is xenother since xenother's thread was made a few hours just before this guy's comment, but I'm just speculating at this point.

Still, just thought I might share these links. They could be something, but they could be not. Still an interesting read though, I'd say.
Definitely an interesting read. I don't really think this person has any motive to lie. I take all things with a grain of salt, of course, but from the way he's speaking it doesn't feel like clout chasing. The only iffy thing to me is he immediately called the other guy (presumably Xeno) a 'joker' which is weird to pass a negative connotation on someone you don't know? But definitely an interesting read. I also wanted to highlight a few things that caught my eye:

About the Grinch leak:
  • ["The people I was with and spoke with were more angry at the leak appearing too legitimate and we at Nintendo pay people to understand fans and how they'd react, so many knew flat-out this leak was going to upset several at it's inception."]
This is so interesting to me. If this is true, Nintendo HAS to know how popular Geno is, in or no. Because they knew hinting at his inclusion when he wasn't in the base game would upset fans. (This is also including Banjo, Shadow, and Isaac of course, with Isaac and Banjo being significant heavy hitters in the popularity department.) Also interesting that they pay people to understand fans. It's hard for me to see them not seeing Geno's buzz. Whether or not they care is up to them but I don't think they can ignore it especially if they're paying people. This also reminds me of that USGamer article where JC said that "People want their characters, we [Nintendo] hear you."

About "Leakbaiting":
  • ["This whole idea that people are told characters to purposely mislead leakers and seek who gave them that info is pure fiction at least from the stand point of people who work in Cooperate offices beyond Japan. We get products and information with definitive visuals and definite assurance, the company does not have that big of a secret conspiracy to weed out leakers. I've heard of people from third party companies telling sources different characters and I can't confirm that because I don't work for them now do I?"]
This makes sense to me as to what I was saying about "leakbaiting". That makes no sense from a business standpoint to me. Why would you tell someone a potential fan favorite character could be in to confuse people? To rile them up? Even if it is to single out and go after leakers, if you feed them correct info, we still know. But also it might be why Verge has been so quiet lately. It's simply TOO early to know. Or he's just not sure yet, and he's not confirming or denying anything. I probably believe that Square Enix may be this way but I do think that could explain how PolarPanda is definitely hearing Geno while Xeno isn't sure.

About DLC Leaks:
  • ["The current DLC leaks: To put it bluntly I've heard nothing of the sort on anything involving DLC beyond Piranha Plant. So I am quite curious to see who above me has access to this, it may be a case of me simply being of a lower level of employment but I don't know jack about this stuff. As a result of this, I have had heard no instances of DLC leaks or watches for DLC leakers being enforced right now we're focusing solely on the base game in terms of our agenda so for people to know anything about content expected months later to me is ludicrous."]
He also said leaker sources are probably family members or close friends of actual employees at or around Nintendo or Ban-Co, which makes perfect sense. Also, could be why leakers keep hearing so many things and backpedaling, it might be way too early in the process to know anything.

https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/11/24/118908.html

Apparently there was some Japanese poll and Geno got 4th place!

...Sora was 3rd but Geno was the highest rated TRUE Square rep
Geno beat NOCTIS and "Brave" from DRAGON QUEST!!! And CRASH BANDICOOT!! In JAPAN!!! Our boi! That's crazy to me as another FF Rep and DQ was like...what I'm most worried about. Crash also places really high out here. I don't want Sora in Smash tbh but i love KH so I wouldn't super mind it, but I think Geno is a far better option for this particular game. Sora should be in Dissidia or something.

Geno was only beat out by Rex (possibly Deconfirmed, but no threat regardless) and Bandanna Waddle Dee (in the same boat as Rex tbh)

Last edited:

Burr.

Smash Cadet
i wouldn't lose hope since spirits are like trophies and don't deconfirm

im not gonna keep my hopes up too high though,but let's keep in mind that Geno would be the easiest square rep to add in the game compared to the other candidates. maybe this is just teasing us for Geno being in smash as DLC.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

im not gonna keep my hopes up too high though,but let's keep in mind that Geno would be the easiest square rep to add in the game compared to the other candidates. maybe this is just teasing us for Geno being in smash as DLC.
They've already got the rights to his likeness

And now they have Mallows as well!

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Still though, if they’re looking for profit in DLC would it really matter to them if the Spirits of characters are already in? Because that would leave out a lot of big names like BWD, and just now Geno, who they know would make money. Also remember that rumor involving Square where they wanted Cloud as DLC. If Spirits are truly deconfirmations then that pretty much leaves us with Sora or DQ, but like its been said many times in this thread before, they would still be difficult to add, and would probably not make as much as Geno would. Square / Nintendo would be looking at the most profitable rep. And Nintendo still can use Geno while they would still have to get permission from other companies to use the other two, and its also already been discussed how difficult that would be

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Geno and Mallow spirits were found. However, I think this is a good thing. I'll explain in a longer post tomorrow after I get some new inside info in the morning. Look forward to it.

Think about it like this, the only FF spirits seen so far are 2 iterations of Cloud. Literally no other characters. Nintendo has the rights to use more SMRPG characters than FF characters apparently. Hmm...

Last edited:

Burr.

Smash Cadet

(Didn't mean to post this twice,my internet was fuzzy so have a joke *ahem* So a skeleton walked into a bar and asked for a Beer and a mop. why? I dunno,he tells me it goes right through him.)

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Geno and Mallow spirits were found. However, I think this is a good thing. I'll explain in a longer post tomorrow after I get some new inside info in the morning. Look forward to it.

Think about it like this, the only FF spirits seen so far are 2 iterations of Cloud. Literally no other characters. Nintendo has the rights to use more SMRPG characters than FF characters apparently. Hmm...
I'm so excited for your post tomorrow.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

You're damn right I'm looking forward to it, PolarPanda! :)

Look on the bright side, we still got new amazing remixes to listen to. IN FACT, I'm listening to one right now.
**Currently listening to the new Termina Field remix as I'm reading these**

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, there's no harm in riding this train to the end. We're now literally in the same place as every other popular character fanbase aside from Banjo so this definitely evens out the playing field. Worst case scenario, you all get the smug satisfaction that everyone else's picks got nuked too.

Add in:

Geno's Mii costume is gone? Nani the ****?

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
AW MAN. While I was busy typing out my last post apparently Geno and Mallow spirits were found :((((

I usually kind of leaned more toward spirits deconfirming, BUT everyone said Mewtwo and Lucas being trophies and ended up playable was always a counter to that theory.

MAN. Everytime I get worried or lose hope you always show up like a breath of fresh air :)
In any case, also something to note for Spirits. USUALLY if there's a spirit for a character whose already a fighter (ex. "Kaptain" K. Rool, Rock Mario, Kirby and Robot) it's always the character in some alternate form from their in game form. Geno's could be his "Super Mario RPG" form and his "Smash Ultimate" counterpart/render...

The mii costume’s missing.

I repeat.

The mii costume.

Is missing.
!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's getting re-released with Square DLC worst case? ORRRRRRR

Well, there's no harm in riding this train to the end. We're now literally in the same place as every other popular character fanbase aside from Banjo so this definitely evens out the playing field. Worst case scenario, you all get the smug satisfaction that everyone else's picks got nuked too.

Add in:

Geno's Mii costume is gone? Nani the ****?
GOING DOWN WITH THE SHIP. RIDE THIS TRAIN TO THE END. I'VE WAITED LIKE 15 YEARS DARN IT

ALSO ALSO ALSO Geno being a Spirit also means Sakurai FOR SURE aquired the rights to use the likeness...how hard is it to get the rights to the character...and wait, if the Mii Costume is missing, how do you fight/collect the spirit? An evil Mega Man won't make any sense...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah, the Mii costume is gone.

So is Chocobo's.

Pretty sure this is just Square cheaping out even more, sadly. : I

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Double or nothing boys, either Square Enix decided they wanted to sell it to us as a character, or they decided they didn't want it in anymore, even as a costume. Whatever it is, this is the final stretch.

dreamstar_g

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7952 9587 6387
Maybe the Chocobo costume was cut because Square was being stingy with FF like we heard?

And Geno because...maybe he’s DLC

hopefully

Burr.

Smash Cadet
I feel like Geno's costume being removed just supports him being DLC. Mii costumes don't deconfirm either imo because chrom still has his mii costume

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But wait, Nintendo clearly still has the rights to use the characters right now. Heck, they have even more rights if the Mallow spirit is anything to go by.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One possibility is that the costume is going to come with Geno as DLC

Apparently the monster hunter costume is gone as well and there have been rumors of finding some interesting data involving him...

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I swear i feel like puking if the spirits is all we get
Honestly kinda same.

Double or nothing boys, either Square Enix decided they wanted to sell it to us as a character, or they decided they didn't want it in anymore, even as a costume. Whatever it is, this is the final stretch.
Maybe the Chocobo costume was cut because Square was being stingy with FF like we heard?

And Geno because...maybe he’s DLC

hopefully
The interesting thing though is even the K Rool costume returned
And like I was saying earlier, how do you GET the spirit then?? An evil Mega Man makes no sense. A blue Mii Gunner?? And how would you get Mallow? White Kirby?

Damn, talk about whiplash. Square not wanting to budge a muscle unless they're getting paid extra. Hoo lad, this is going to be a long couple of months...
Maybe Square is doing a big DLC release and thats when you get the costume? I agree This is definitely gonna be a long wait....

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If Mii Costumes are supposed to be consolation prizes for popular characters, which we have every reason to believe, we just got ours taken away from us with nothing to replace it other than an outdated render.
I doubt they would just throw us out to dry like that. This combined with the lack of SMRPG tunes makes the whole situation even more suspicious in my book.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I just wanted to point that I love you guys.

Anyways, I think all of this supports Genos Inclusion
If Nintendo added'em spirits, then is clearly that it got negotiated at some point.
If there's no more SE Spirits at all, that's because how SE works, Nintendo focused on FF (Cloud re-inclusion) and SMRPG (Spirits atm) for the negotiations.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
That could be because Square didn't want any FF representation like Chocobo in Spirits, so they got rid of the hat. As for the Mii costume, if they have the rights to Geno, then bringing him this far could mean they'll upgrade him to a newcomer this time.

Chrom did have his Mii costume but he's part of Nintendo, however, this is Square, they're probably not okay with having Geno in as a newcomer and as a Mii costume. So in this case, there could be only one... it's either the Mii costume or being a newcomer, which could mean Geno is being saved as a newcomer for DLC instead of the Mii costume this time.

slopdop

Smash Cadet
What the heck is even going on anymore, like this is all just too insane I don't even know what conclusion to really come up with. Gonna be an interesting rest of the year plus whatever number of months.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
And so the plot thickens. This is the weirdest and most confusing situation I've seen based on actual data and not fake info. I feel like with every new piece of information we are given on Geno, his chances of being playable simultaneously increase and decrease at the same time. This entire thing is extremely odd for so many reasons. Lol

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
If Geno and Mallow spirits is really all we get and Square is just being greedy,
Square AND Nintendo, cause this shows Nintendo clearly doesn't give a **** about what we fans have requested and instead would rather put names no one asked for ( Incineroar,Corrin, THE ****ING PLANT )

owjies

Smash Journeyman

What does it mean?
Mario RPG and The Nightmare Before Christmas are two of my all-time favorite things. The nostalgia overload is very real right now.

Geno and Chocobo's Mii Costumes are gone? That is so weird, but at the same time if they barely got Cloud into base maybe they just couldn't finalize the negotiations. Geno is such an innocent inclusion, literally ten years of just missing out because of $quare.

Alright, let's do this, all aboard the Geno/Mallow tag team train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom