• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Okay maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe someone already pointed this out, but...is Style Savvy music really that big a deal? Music is all I've seen mentioned.

I mean...we've had Style Savvy music in Smash before...?

https://youtu.be/x0buV95bn88
Yeah, it could be just music.
I mean, there's Mach Rider and Rhythm Heaven Music on it too, I'd preffer to speculate about them but, that feels odd right? Because thinking on a Style Savvy character is funnier

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee’s a Spirit. I know that Spirits aren’t confirmed to deconfirm, but the lack of Geno, Ninten, and Linkle is starting to look more and more suspicious.

It’s not solely that there’s no spirit of her, it’s that there’s literally no Hyrule Warriors content currently in the game at all even though Team Ninja’s on board(as seen by some Other M stuff), and that there’s no spirit of her.
Okay.... but consider: Instead of Hyrule Warriors..... Ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bandana Dee’s a Spirit. I know that Spirits aren’t confirmed to deconfirm, but the lack of Geno, Ninten, and Linkle is starting to look more and more suspicious.

It’s not solely that there’s no spirit of her, it’s that there’s literally no Hyrule Warriors content currently in the game at all even though Team Ninja’s on board(as seen by some Other M stuff), and that there’s no spirit of her.
Don't forget, Yuri from Fatal Frame's in as an AT, so it's not just that part of Koei Tecmo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why is Linkle being thrown around suddenly? I don't think she's that important to be weird if there's no spirit of her, or is that it? There's just no spirit of her?
Hyrule Warriors had three games on three platforms in four years and there's currently zero content in Ultimate despite Koei-Tecmo having other properties shown in the form of Metroid: Other M. No spirits. No music. Nothing. It's really suspicious making myself and others suspect that a HW character is on the table for DLC (Linkle up front with Impa in a distant second).

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Hyrule Warriors had three games on three platforms in four years and there's currently zero content in Ultimate despite Koei-Tecmo having other properties shown in the form of Metroid: Other M. No spirits. No music. Nothing. It's really suspicious making myself and others suspect that a HW character is on the table for DLC (Linkle up front with Impa in a distant second).
I really don't feel like Linkle is the most likely or even most wanted HW character at all, but shrug? I haven't played it, but I'm fairly certain that mage girl is much more likely since she's kind of a main character of the plot, whereas Linkle was just a side-character added as DLC iirc?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't feel like Linkle is the most likely or even most wanted HW character at all, but shrug? I haven't played it, but I'm fairly certain that mage girl is much more likely since she's kind of a main character of the plot, whereas Linkle was just a side-character added as DLC iirc?
Lana would be bit more of a sore point, seeing as she's not exactly among the top Zelda side cast favorites.

I would not go that far, as she can actually fight with the best of them from her universe, unlike Mr. Satan, who is completely pathetic compared to the rest of the cast.
Hm, that is fair. Tingle would be closer to that.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If Linkle got in over Skull Kid; admittedly I'd be pretty disappointed. But right now; Geno is making or breaking DLC (and to a lesser extent Banjo) so I guess I wouldn't mind Linkle then lol. I'm sure this is the situation with a lot of people.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There is one big thing Linkle has over Lana though, and that is the possibility of making it into the mainline games. I forget when it was said, but I distinctly recall the topic of Linkle migrating into the mainline cannon being legitimately discussed by some LoZ higher ups.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bandana Dee
Fire Emblem
Dragon Quest
Steve from Minecraft
Style Savvy

My (pessimistic) DLC guess

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing about Linkle is that she was born from fan demand. Hyrule Historia had concept art of a female Link, causing fans to freak out and demand the character was brought to life. She then was added as a playable character to Hyrule Warriors Legends for the 3DS and even got her own story mode complete with cutscenes. Lana's, the mage girl, just kind of there and I argue that Cia, basically her evil twin, is more popular and more important to the games.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Off-topic note but Vergeben has just confirmed that he has messaged that xenother person before. He didn't specify anything regarding information, however.

Edit: Nvm, it seems people beat me to the punch.

I wonder if anyone could ask Vergeben where he stands on xenother's claim that Geno is leakbait. I would ask him but I don't have a GameFAQs account nor plan on ever making on.

Last edited:

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I feel like Lana should be in the running too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The thing about Linkle is that she was born from fan demand. Hyrule Historia had concept art of a female Link, causing fans to freak out and demand the character was brought to life. She then was added as a playable character to Hyrule Warriors Legends for the 3DS and even got her own story mode complete with cutscenes. Lana's, the mage girl, just kind of there and I argue that Cia, basically her evil twin, is more popular and more important to the games.
Plus Cia is basically Zelda's Doronjo, but with a tragic backstory and ultimate fate. Heck, even Ganondorf liked Cia (as a pawn, but still).

Off-topic note but Vergeben has just confirmed that he has messaged that xenother person before. He didn't specify anything regarding information, however.

Edit: Nvm, it seems people beat me to the punch.
I forgot that we were supposed to talk about Geno...

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Geno's consistent in Japanese polls too though. I'd argue that there isn't a big popularity gap between North America and Japan like in the cases of Little Mac and Ridley.
It's actually because of the Japanese poll that I became aware of Geno's popularity and thus began my first foray into supporting Geno for Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in 2006. I think Geno is still in a good spot.
That is one hope I have if Nintendo of Japan chose all five DLC fighters. I remember that there were two old polls: one where Geno was #3 in popularity, right below Sonic being #1 and Mega Man being #2 in popularity. Then there was one where Geno was right below King Dedede and Diddy Kong on the old poll from 2006.

There's a chance that Nintendo of Japan and Sakurai want to finish off the old Brawl poll from 2006 because they did continue to use it in Smash 4 with Villager and Takamaru, and they used it in Ultimate for Ridley and Krystal.

1. King Dedede
2. Diddy Kong
3. Geno
4. Ike
5. Ridley
6. Olimar
7. Krystal (Assist Trophy)
8. Takamaru (Assist Trophy)
9. Toon Link
10. An Animal Crossing character

Except for Geno, all of them are in Ultimate. Nintendo could be using this, or they could've asked Sakurai if he had any ideas for a highly requested newcomer on his mind, so with the 2006 Brawl poll as a reference for a highly requested character, all that's left was Geno. I know I might be getting my hopes up for no reason, but there IS a chance Sakurai and Nintendo want to finish off that Brawl poll, after all, they did put two characters in Ultimate from that poll. PolarPanda PolarPanda 's source said 2 highly requested characters, so Nintendo could've used the 2006 Brawl poll and/or the other one where it had Sonic and Mega Man above Geno.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
He posted that he messaged him. He didn't say he endorses him or that what he said was true/ false.

It's kind of a neutral response.
AW CRAP. Well, I dont wanna lose hope TOO SOON, because let's remember that this are just things they are hearing RIGHT NOW. Yes the list is finalized, but each of these three (hitagi, verge, xeno) have said there are things that look viable and then dont again. Verge doesnt really post anything or confirm/deconfirm until he's 100% sure. He didnt know about Isaac for sure until the night before. But maaaaaaaan *Dave Chapelle voice* I. Am. Worrrieeeddd.

1. King Dedede
2. Diddy Kong
3. Geno
4. Ike
5. Ridley
6. Olimar
7. Krystal (Assist Trophy)
8. Takamaru (Assist Trophy)
9. Toon Link
10. An Animal Crossing character
Also going with that sourcegaming article most of the characters in that first 15 are in (with the exception of Magalor) and Geno is right after so...its safe to say NoJ has to be AWARE

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Vergeben also just posted a funny GIF response to a person who asked what they thought about the whole Hitagi situation.

Interesting...

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben also just posted a funny GIF response to a person who asked what they thought about the whole Hitagi situation.

Interesting...
WHY. ISNT. HE. CONFIRMING. OR. DENYING.

I also feel like he's very cautious because people take what he says to heart. So he isnt gonna say anything he's unsure of, or that isn't 100%.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Interesting...
aVa1v1P.gif

He's saying the Nintendo Ninja's got him

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Interesting...
What sort of funny GIF?

Asking the real question here ladies and gentleman.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
WHY. ISNT. HE. CONFIRMING. OR. DENYING.

I also feel like he's very cautious because people take what he says to heart. So he isnt gonna say anything he's unsure of, or that isn't 100%.
Absolutely. That's what I think as well. Vergeben never solidifies a claim until he's completely certain about its accuracy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Absolutely. That's what I think as well. Vergeben never solidifies a claim until he's completely certain about its accuracy.
Yeah, he knows damn well that claiming anything that could turn out to be false backfires sooner or later, this happened to him before with other Bamco fighters he leaked for.

View attachment 179422

He's saying the Nintendo Ninja's got him
"Our bodies are Reggie...to silence you for good!"

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Now, I get the whole Nintendo Ninjas GIF Vergeben posted but I'm wondering if someone could elaborate something for me:

Is Vergeben implying that Hitagi was given false information by Nintendo Ninjas from the start with the GIF or is he implying that Hitagi lied about backtracking on 4/5 characters because he was caught by Nintendo Ninjas who told him to change his story?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
A universe where Geno and Ryu Hayabusa appear in the same game might just be too much for this world, the earth might explode.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He's probably staying neutral because he spoke highly about Hitagi and look what happened to him. This situation is very similar to Loz18 and Verge probably isn't too happy that his name is being thrown around. Vergeben has openly admitted in the past that he likes to "watch people squirm" and probably isn't saying anything either because he knows people are watching the thread with baited breath.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Now, I get the whole Nintendo Ninjas GIF Vergeben posted but I'm wondering if someone could elaborate something for me:

Is Vergeben implying that Hitagi was given false information by Nintendo Ninjas from the start with the GIF or is he implying that Hitagi lied about backtracking on 4/5 characters because he was caught by Nintendo Ninjas who told him to change his story?
I don't think Hitagi even publicly revealed the characters he thought were in

Other than Steve

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I made a mistake. I meant to reply to Psycho's post in this thread but accidentally did it in the Isaac thread, woops... Anyway, here is my reply.

I actually have less confidence NoJ would pick Geno then, like NoA would. But who knows? Better chance than if NoE picked
He's consistently stressed that what he heard about Geno is a RUMOR at NoA. I put a ton of weight on it because every rumor he's heard from NoA has come true, but this may not. He seemed pretty negative about NoJ picking the characters, but he stood by his belief that they'd pick at minimum 2 fan demanded characters. He said that base game is likely a good indicator of what the team will do (with Ridley and K Rool, and then some less popular picks like Incineroar). We can only hope that Geno is one of the demanded picks. As I said, I will always give updates. If he hears Geno isn't in, or that another Enix character is, I'll say it definitively. Nothing he's heard lately has been about Geno at all, so the rumor that Geno is DLC is still completely safe for the time being.

That wasn't posted by Verg

You're spreading fake news
Not only that, he can't really say 'Geno is deconfirmed'. Verge has hinted that he's heard Geno's name in the past, and even my source at NoA has heard Geno. The only way he could say it isn't is if he says it's 'leakbait', which is quite frankly a weak argument to stand by.

Last edited:

DIY

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Hitagi even publicly revealed the characters he thought were in

Other than Steve
Very true, though he did imply certain characters more than others, like with the DQ representative, for example. That's why I'm just curious.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Very true, though he did imply certain characters more than others, like with the DQ representative, for example. That's why I'm just curious.
Here is my take. Hitagi is only sticking to Steve now, nobody else. He dropped Katalina, and said all of his other leads were RED HERRINGS. That leads me to believe, if anything, he's saying DQ was a red herring. iirc one of his posts was literally "the only character I'm sure of anymore is Steve". Verge was probably saying the other characters were red herrings, which would have made it obvious who was leaking it so they would have gotten ninja'd. They weren't safe characters, likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom