• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
also evidence of a "Style Savvy" character, or at least a stage. And if Stages are linked to characters in the DLC...
Looked it up and didn't realize the series had four games. Makes me wonder if Nintendo would be ballsy enough to make it paid DLC. I love me some odd ball characters but that would be a hard sell to most people.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait, Linkle is almost nothing like Link gameplay wise.
I was referring more to Ninten, who looks almost exactly like Ness with the only difference being he doesn't have a backpack and some minor other things like the stripes on his shirt being thinner

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was referring more to Ninten, who looks almost exactly like Ness with the only difference being he doesn't have a backpack and some minor other things like the stripes on his shirt being thinner
Well, doesn't Ninten have a scarf he could use to differentiate himself? That is what I recall people saying. But I do understand the basic gist of things.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The lack of Hyrule Warriors content went from being an interesting side note to the big farting elephant in the room with all that has come out today. We do know that Team Ninja is technically involved because there is Metroid: Other M content so this is raising my eyebrow to Defcon 1 levels.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
The lack of Hyrule Warriors content went from being an interesting side note to the big farting elephant in the room with all that has come out today. We do know that Team Ninja is technically involved because there is Metroid: Other M content so this is raising my eyebrow to Defcon 1 levels.
Oh **** Team Ninja now? We really need a Season 2 Pass because Ryu Hayabusa would be amazing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is kinda weird, especially considering how buddy buddy the two companies have been, especially when you compare it to other companies Nintendo have teamed up with.

No he doesn't
True when it comes to in game art, but he does have a scarf in the Japanese MOTHER commercial.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It is kinda weird, especially considering how buddy buddy the two companies have been, especially when you compare it to other companies Nintendo have teamed up with.

True when it comes to in game art, but he does have a scarf in the Japanese MOTHER commercial.
And that's the only time he has it. Not in the game, not in his official art. Just a commercial.

This is a commercial too

Not exactly accurate to the source material...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, Koei-Tecmo was decently involved in the NES Classic too. It's definitely one of those third parties that everyone sleeps on despite series like Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors being super iconic.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And that's the only time he has it. Not in the game, not in his official art. Just a commercial.

This is a commercial too

I know, it's just what many Ninten fans like to bring up as a way of differentiating him.
Yeah, Koei-Tecmo was decently involved in the NES Classic too. It's definitely one of those third parties that everyone sleeps on despite series like Ninja Gaiden and Dynasty Warriors being super iconic.
I just had a thought, the likes of Linkle and other Nintendo Warriors characters are kinda like Geno, at least in concept. Original characters created by the partnership of two companies for a game that has a Nintendo coat of paint over the gameplay of the smaller companies claim to fame genre. It's kinda interesting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, I think we shouldn't toss our hopes for Geno out if there is no data for him found in the datamining. It's entirely possible all traces were removed so Geno could be added in later as DLC.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about this for a while, but if Kyle Hebert doesn't voice Geno like I said a while back, they could get Dan Green to do it. He's already played heroic characters that are determined before.
I would prefer Geno to be voiceless. But if Geno did have a voice actor, I always thought Geno could be voiced by Josh Grelle; he does the English dub for Armin in Attack on Titan, the Grand Priest in Dragon Ball, Tokoyami in My Hero Academia, and a few others. If Sakurai or Nintendo can get Sean Schemmel to voice for Lucario, then they shouldn't have a problem getting Josh Grelle or Kyle Hebert... I mean, after all, Sean, Kyle, and Josh do work for Funimation, and Josh/Kyle could be cheaper.

I thought Tokoyami's English dub voice would perfectly fit Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Again, I think we shouldn't toss our hopes for Geno out if there is no data for him found in the datamining. It's entirely possible all traces were removed so Geno could be added in later as DLC.
People say to give up on Geno if Data is found, and people say to give up on Geno if Data is not found

It's a lose-lose to care about the data

D

Deleted member

This is a commercial too

It's an official commercial, so they can use it to differentiate Ninten from Ness. And just because characters look similar doesn't mean they can only be echoes. It matters what traits they have in their respective games, which Ness and Ninten don't at all have the same traits. They both use PSI, but only Ness uses PSI attacks, Ninten only attacks physically, and for his PSI, he mainly uses assist moves

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's an official commercial, so they can use it to differentiate Ninten from Ness. And just because characters look similar doesn't mean they can only be echoes. It matters what traits they have in their respective games, which Ness and Ninten don't at all have the same traits. They both use PSI, but only Ness uses PSI attacks, Ninten only attacks physically, and for his PSI, he mainly uses assist moves
Ness is a healer/assister in Earthbound, with his only Psi attack being PK Rockin

All of his attack PSI in smash come from Paula and Poo

Psi flash doesn't damage enemies in game, it just has a chance to give them status effects. Unlike in smash

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
People say to give up on Geno if Data is found, and people say to give up on Geno if Data is not found

It's a lose-lose to care about the data
What has been found so far is literally the best possible scenario for Geno’s chances.

-Nintendo has image rights to use Geno in Ultimate.
-We have seen the full soundtrack, and there are no SMRPG songs.
-Square does not actually own the rights to the SMRPG soundtrack, the composer does.
-Said composer is already fully on board with Ultimate, and has songs in the game for a different franchise.
-We’ve seen that Spirits actually can have associated songs.
-Geno has not been seen as either a Spirit or Mii Costume yet.

It seems unlikely that they’d have a big Spirit fight for Geno and his costume without any SMRPG themes... which aren’t In the game.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Embargo for the new remixes was lifted today and it looks like the Mario ones are the first one out of the gate. Spoiler alert: they're all really, really good.
I was just about to tell this in the Smashboards just now. xD
(I really hope the Battlefield soundtrack from the demos and E3 is in the game.)
I might as well tell everyone my favorites so far:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm all in on Linkle and Hayabusa

D

Deleted member

Ness is a healer/assister in Earthbound, with his only Psi attack being PK Rockin

All of his attack PSI in smash come from Paula and Poo
He also attacks with PSI Flash. He can use hypnosis and paralysis, and he can heal. PK Flash doesn't exist in Earthbound Beginnings, and Ninten doesn't have any form of PK attack. He only attacks physically and uses PK like Defense-up, Quick-up, and Offense-up, as well as some healing

Add in: Ninten can use PK beam since Ana knows PK beam, but he can't be an echo of Ness, since there are no Yo-yos or PK flash in Earthbound Beginnings

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He also attacks with PSI Flash. He can use hypnosis and paralysis, and he can heal. PK Flash doesn't exist in Earthbound Beginnings, and Ninten doesn't have any form of PK attack. He only attacks physically and uses PK like Defense-up, Quick-up, and Offense-up, as well as some healing
Psi flash is not an attack move and Ninten does have status effect moves

Ness can also heal

And if you are going off the commercial, he uses Psi Beam in it. So just as canonical as the scarf Ninten does have Psi attacks

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know, it's just what many Ninten fans like to bring up as a way of differentiating him.

I just had a thought, the likes of Linkle and other Nintendo Warriors characters are kinda like Geno, at least in concept. Original characters created by the partnership of two companies for a game that has a Nintendo coat of paint over the gameplay of the smaller companies claim to fame genre. It's kinda interesting.
We talked about this the other day. Geno, Banjo, and Linkle are all characters that started their lives as cast members in a big Nintendo IP game so it would be appropriate if things came full circle for them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We talked about this the other day. Geno, Banjo, and Linkle are all characters that started their lives as cast members in a big Nintendo IP game so it would be appropriate if things came full circle for them.
Vaati too, he's owned by Capcom

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I was just about to tell this in the Smashboards just now. xD
(I really hope the Battlefield soundtrack from the demos and E3 is in the game.)
I might as well tell everyone my favorites so far:

>dat Bloody Tears/Monster Dance

My **** holy **** I can't stop ******* someone call for help

D

Deleted member

Psi flash is not an attack move and Ninten does have status effect moves

Ness can also heal

And if you are going off the commercial, he uses Psi Beam in it. So just as canonical as the scarf Ninten does have Psi attacks
Ninten can use PK beam in Smash, it would allow for a different neutral special, and they can add the scarf to differentiate him from Ness

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I fall asleep for a few hours and THIS happens. All I will say is that a lot of these song remixes in Smash are absolutely phenomenal! The longer time passes, the more likely I think Geno will be DLC, especially after the music leak.

Damn! The full version of Bloody Tears/Monster Dance is incredible. Well worth the wait!

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Do you have the statistics to back that claim up?
Style Savvy is far more well-known than Geno among the casual audience, and with Nintendo picking the DLC, it's obvious they would want to add in characters that more people know than just the ones in the hardcore Smash bubble. And Style Savvy is popular, just not among the same people that support characters like Geno and Banjo. Girls love fashion accessory games, and adding in a Style Savvy character would be the perfect way to appeal to that kind of demographic.
Relax, guys. Geno still has a chance. Attacking other characters before any of them are even confirmed just makes you look whiny.

Last edited:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
Didn't they add Beware The Forest's Mushrooms to SSB4's music when the Geno costume dropped, or am I just imagining it?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah! How dare Nintendo put in a unique character from a popular and relevant franchise they own that appeals to a much larger demographic! /s
Style Stavvy is far more well-known than Geno among the casual audience, and with Nintendo picking the DLC, it's obvious they would want to add in characters that more people know than just the ones in the hardcore Smash bubble. And Style Savvy is popular, just not among the same people that support characters like Geno and Banjo. Girls love fashion accessory games, and adding in a Style Savvy character would be the perfect way to appeal to that kind of demographic.
Relax, guys. Geno still has a chance. Attacking other characters before any of them are even confirmed just makes you look whiny and salty.
I thought you said you were going to leave and not dramastir...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Style Savvy is far more well-known than Geno among the casual audience, and with Nintendo picking the DLC, it's obvious they would want to add in characters that more people know than just the ones in the hardcore Smash bubble. And Style Savvy is popular, just not among the same people that support characters like Geno and Banjo. Girls love fashion accessory games, and adding in a Style Savvy character would be the perfect way to appeal to that kind of demographic.
Relax, guys. Geno still has a chance. Attacking other characters before any of them are even confirmed just makes you look whiny and salty.
This isn't about popularity compared to Geno. You made a general assertion of it being one of Nintendo's popular series

I'd like to see the statistics on that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't they add Beware The Forest's Mushrooms to SSB4's music when the Geno costume dropped, or am I just imagining it?
They definitely let them use it when they announced Geno's Mii costume

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This isn't about popularity compared to Geno. You made a general assertion of it being one of Nintendo's popular series
I suppose it isn't necessarily one of their most popular series, but it's still a relevant franchise that just recently got a game, and other fans deserve characters that appeal to them as well. For example, just because Isabelle wasn't circlejerked on Smashboards before her inclusion doesn't mean she wasn't a popular or deserving character. I don't even know for sure if we're getting a Style Savvy character, but people here jumped to conclusions way too quickly and got upset for no reason. I'm leaving now.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. I'm done. I just don't like seeing people cry and be overly dramatic before anything is even confirmed. Geno can still get in, so there's no need to worry about the leaks.
I dunno, I mean we're on an online forum because we're all passionate about Smash Bros. and more specifically, the individual characters and series that are important to each of us. Style Savvy is a franchise that I've never heard of until today, and it certainly isn't my cup of tea. However, Sakurai is just the madman to say, "Style Savvy, I've got just the moveset!" I think people are allowed to show their emotions and voice their opinions. Sure, call people out if they cross the line, but calling that "crying" is a bit much in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I suppose it isn't necessarily one of their most popular series, but it's still a relevant franchise that just recently got a game, and other fans deserve characters that appeal to them as well. For example, just because Isabelle wasn't circlejerked on Smashboards before her inclusion doesn't mean she wasn't a popular or deserving character. I don't even know for sure if we're getting a Style Savvy character, but people here jumped to conclusions way too quickly and got upset for no reason. I'm leaving now.
putting aside my geno fanboysim, if there's one thing I think of when it comes to potential smash bros characters, it's fashion sims
EDIT: Isabelle also has a bit more of a precedent and was not an unforseen newcomer to begin with. Considering she's arguably the most popular character in animal crossing, and the face of the entire series at this point. After the inclusion of villager it made less sense not to have her. The only thing that threw people for a loop was her non-echo status.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
question: would/should any DLC data be found from data miners yet? Doesn’t that content come later through patches or updates? It seems that for now nothing can be conclusive for now. That data either has not been created or is currently being created for the new fighters.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
It was either those videos or Chuggaaconroy's lets play of the game. I can't recall which came first for me.
I got introduced into the game because of Rawest Forest and Chuggaaconroy. When my sister left her SNES for me, she only had Super Mario World and a few others. In 2007, I ran into the Rawest Forest rap... loved it, but it didn't fully get me into SMRPG. A year later in 2008, when I ran into chuggaaconroy's Let's Plays, his first one I watched was Paper Mario 64, then it led to me watching his SMRPG Let's Play. Because of him and the Rawest Forest rap, I really wanted to get SMRPG. I couldn't get it for my SNES because it was so hard for me to get SNES games in 2008, so I just bought SMRPG on my Virtual Console for the Wii instead, and Chuggaaconroy did the same by playing it on Wii. AND then I played it and beat it 100%. I usually play SMRPG seasonally, or once every two years. Eventually in 2010, I lost my Wii, later on I got a SMRPG cartridge for my SNES and I play SMRPG on my SNES now. I even got SMRPG on my Wii U Virtual Console earlier this year and it was actually pretty neat because the SMRPG quality was upscaled to 1080p.

And one day, while I was playing SMRPG back in 2008, I thought, "Man, wouldn't it be nice to have Mallow and Geno in Super Smash Brothers Brawl? Think of all the amazing moves they would have to mess around in Brawl, it sure would be fun."
8 years later, I was so surprised when I found out Sakurai tried to get Geno in Brawl, because it just seemed like he was listening to my brain's thoughts at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom