• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This soundtrack, man. I think it's shaping up to be the best of the decade. At first I was like "whatever. If Geno's in and they just do straight SMRPG rips, I don't care" but now I see it as a colassal missed opportunity if they don't do remixes. I still want Geno more but damn if I want to have my cake and eat it too.

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
This soundtrack, man. I think it's shaping up to be the best of the decade. At first I was like "whatever. If Geno's in and they just do straight SMRPG rips, I don't care" but now I see it as a colassal missed opportunity if they don't do remixes. I still want Geno more but damn if I want to have my cake and eat it too.
The thing that surprised me about the music lineup- Fire Emblem Heroes has more than one remix.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I dunno, I mean we're on an online forum because we're all passionate about Smash Bros. and more specifically, the individual characters and series that are important to each of us. Style Savvy is a franchise that I've never heard of until today, and it certainly isn't my cup of tea. However, Sakurai is just the madman to say, "Style Savvy, I've got just the moveset!" I think people are allowed to show their emotions and voice their opinions. Sure, call people out if they cross the line, but calling that "crying" is a bit much in my opinion.
Same here. Until someone mentioned it on here, I didn't even know what Style Savvy was so I looked it up. It's literally a simulation game for the DS.
I mean, the game was on DS and hasn't been seen since October 2008, not sure why they want to promote it; it was on the Wii U for Virtual Console, but promoting something on a console that Nintendo doesn't care about anymore seems odd... unless the Style Savvy soundtrack is located in the "Others" music selection menu, because Snipperclips, Monster Hunter, Fossil Fighters, and a few others have soundtrack in there without a representing stage or character. Style Savvy wasn't released in the EU and US until a year after the Japan's release. Hell, I played and got so many DS games back then and still never heard of Style Savvy until now. lol

Yeah! How dare Nintendo put in a unique character from a popular and relevant franchise they own that appeals to a much larger demographic! /s
Doesn't seem popular and relevant if no one on here's heard of it until now, and the game isn't that relevant because it was a game on the DS in 2008. I looked up the details and it only sold 2.09 million, while Super Mario RPG sold 7.42 million. SMRPG is relevant because it was on the SNES Classic in 2017, and Style Savvy was released on the Wii U Virtual Console in 2016. In total with the DS and Wii U combined, only 2 million sales; for the SNES Classic, about 5.28 million sales. It seems that the SNES Classic is more relevant, appealing, and popular compared to a simulation game from the DS.

But why promote a DS game from 2008? That's something I don't understand.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Same here. Until someone mentioned it on here, I didn't even know what Style Savvy was so I looked it up. It's literally a simulation game for the DS.
I mean, the game was on DS and hasn't been seen since October 2008, not sure why they want to promote it; it was on the Wii U for Virtual Console, but promoting something on a console that Nintendo doesn't care about anymore seems odd... unless the Style Savvy soundtrack is located in the "Others" music selection menu, because Snipperclips, Monster Hunter, Fossil Fighters, and a few others have soundtrack in there without a representing stage or character. Style Savvy wasn't released in the EU and US until a year after the Japan's release. Hell, I played and got so many DS games back then and still never heard of Style Savvy until now. lol

Doesn't seem popular and relevant if no one on here's heard of it until now, and the game isn't that relevant because it was a game on the DS in 2008. I looked up the details and it only sold 2.09 million, while Super Mario RPG sold 7.42 million. SMRPG is relevant because it was on the SNES Classic in 2017, and Style Savvy was released on the Wii U Virtual Console in 2016. In total with the DS and Wii U combined, only 2 million sales; for the SNES Classic, about 5.28 million sales. It seems that the SNES Classic is more relevant, appealing, and popular compared to a simulation game from the DS.

Its Nintendo buddy, they don't give a **** about who we want

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I've been lurking these boards for maybe about 6-7 months now, hearing you all speculate and speculating with you and hoping and praying. You guys give me so much hope for Geno and I love seeing his love and i created a profile just to say I've wanted Geno in forever. I've always liked him since my childhood and I think this game would be perfect with him in. Add me to the support list. PolarPanda along with a few of you are the only person giving me hope rn. That "leak" from GameFAQs from that xeno guy has me a little worried just because i dont think he has a reason to want to lie or mislead ppl. But im praying hes wrong and that Vergeben doesnt corroborate him. PolarPanda's post was a bit of relief. In any case, I dont think NoJ would be such a bad move as im sure there are a lot of Geno supporters from Japan. Also that JC guy gives me hope saying "Nintendo hears us" cuz he said the same thing in an interveiw about Smash Switch last year and it got announced this year

ALSO I remember a while back when you guys were talking about the P.Plant reveal and i totally thought it was Geno. So many Youtubers did too as well as the crowd watching live in New York. I think thats a testament to his popularity.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
If Geno gets in, I really won't care about the other 4 characters, I even would buy the Fighter Pass with no doubt. Let's hope for the best and please, be as cautious as you can be.
The Storm has already started.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I was very hopeful when DLC was announced, but idk...I'm gonna be a little cautious now. But I agree. If Geno gets in, I honestly wont care who else gets in. But ill probably buy the fighters pass as a huge "THANK YOU NINTENDO TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW"
I had a joke with my friends that if Geno doesnt get in I'll boycott the game for at least 6 months. And then I'm gonna play as the costume and get really good and reach the top of the leaderboards to prove a point

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I know I’ve spoke at length about this, but using the SNES Classic for anything Geno related other than another appearance and a chance for his exposure just doesn’t make sense. There’s way too many outside factors and interests in a plug and play version of a console that is often considered the best of all time and sold extremely well.

I completely reject the idea Geno would get in as some advertisement for that specific device. They’ve already sold it and made their intended profits off of it.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Honestly this whole style savy nonsense is so dumb. There is no way they could come up with an awesome or interesting moveset for any of those characters and it would feel so out of place in a smash bros game that it no doubt would cause a wild controversy with the fans. It really is so dumb i'm not even going to humor it. But is it like an official data mine or what? Whats causing everyone to lose it exactly?

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I think of Monster Hunter is confirmed it'd be a good sign, because more mii costume characters would be a really good sign for Geno. I don't think Style Savvy would make it in as a fighter tho

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The series has had 4 games since 2008, strangely enough, with the latest one being in 2017. It could wind up as a dark horse ala Wii Fit but, like everyone's been saying "why make someone like that paid DLC?" Anyways, the main character of the first game was found as a spirit so who knows...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The series has had 4 games since 2008, strangely enough, with the latest one being in 2017. It could wind up as a dark horse ala Wii Fit but, like everyone's been saying "why make someone like that paid DLC?" Anyways, the main character of the first game was found as a spirit so who knows...
Not to mention they got a track in Ultimate. It's a weird choice; but I'd embrace it as long as they don't get in over Banjo or Geno.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Also that "Xeno" guy from the "leak" said he heard Geno's name brought up multiple times, but everytime he followed up with his sources, it was leakbait, the character wasnt in, it wasnt that character, or a red herring. My question is...if it's leakbait, WHY would any company (Nintendo or Square) choose such a popular character to leakbait, and then NOT put him in? To trick us fans? Because thats all it would be for. "Hey lets tell the leakers it's this highly requested character we have no intentions of putting in" but if he has enough clout to be leakbait, wouldnt it be a more sensible business decision to just put him in??

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hasn't it occurred to anyone that Sakurai would pick Style Savvy girl as a WTF pick, and not a promotional one.

I mean, just saying, seeing as PP wasn't weird enough.

And I'm 100% sure one of the people of this board wanted her, too.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hasn't it occurred to anyone that Sakurai would pick Style Savvy girl as a WTF pick, and not a promotional one.

I don't think there is actually a real source on the whole Style savvy thing yet so this theoretical discussion could be based on false information spread by 4chan

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I understand Sakurai can make movesets for practically anything (Villager, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, P.Plant) but idkkkk i think it'd be pretty difficult to make a good moveset for Style Savvy.

Her up B would be to throw a...coathanger?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I understand Sakurai can make movesets for practically anything (Villager, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit, P.Plant) but idkkkk i think it'd be pretty difficult to make a good moveset for Style Savvy.

Different styles of posing could easily be her normal attacks. Like how Wii Fit is made up of yoga poses. Maybe an attack that applies clothes that make you trip? Idk.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

At this point I don't question anythings moveset potential when Sakurai is involved. He always finds a way. Always.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Looks like we both made the same mistake, haha. I should've looked more into that with having more than one game. I didn't know this until now, but apparently Style Savvy also had OST cut from Smash 4, so maybe it came back and it's gonna be a part of the "Other" section on the music selection menu?

I don't mind the Monster Hunter character as DLC. My friend's most requested newcomer is a Monster Hunter character and I'd be happy for him if he got a character he wanted in so bad. It makes sense because Rathalos is in as a boss/AT, so getting a Monster Hunter character would be fun.
I think of Monster Hunter is confirmed it'd be a good sign, because more mii costume characters would be a really good sign for Geno. I don't think Style Savvy would make it in as a fighter tho
You're also right, that means Mii costumes can still be upgraded to a character in DLC, and that means Geno's chances raise! Which reminds me, I don't think Mii costumes deconfirm characters because Chrom's Mii costume was shown to be in the 11.1.2018 Smash Direct, and he's already a newcomer/fighter.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Well all I have to say is, I'm glad Sakurai gave us that Mii costume in Wii U/3DS. That and I have my memories. It's criminal that Ultimate is void of any SMRPG content.

D

Deleted member

I know I’ve spoke at length about this, but using the SNES Classic for anything Geno related other than another appearance and a chance for his exposure just doesn’t make sense. There’s way too many outside factors and interests in a plug and play version of a console that is often considered the best of all time and sold extremely well.

I completely reject the idea Geno would get in as some advertisement for that specific device. They’ve already sold it and made their intended profits off of it.
Of course they wouldn't add him only for promoting the SNES Classic, but it would promote it regardless, since people who don't know him would want to find out who he is and where he originated from, so they would buy the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, which would benefit Nintendo greatly

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
At this point I don't question anythings moveset potential when Sakurai is involved. He always finds a way. Always.
Different styles of posing could easily be her normal attacks. Like how Wii Fit is made up of yoga poses. Maybe an attack that applies clothes that make you trip? Idk.
haha True and true, but wouldnt that be too similar to Wii Fit? I get having multiple sword characters with similar movesets, but multiple posing characters seems...odd. At least P.Plant would have a moveset that for the most part isnt similar to anyone else

Well all I have to say is, I'm glad Sakurai gave us that Mii costume in Wii U/3DS. That and I have my memories. It's criminal that Ultimate is void of any SMRPG content.
Well there's that token. Nintendo is at least AWARE of his presence. If he was a complete wash, i dont think hed even have that

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Of course but, again, they'd have to be paid DLC. No matter how creative they are, people always throw a fit with Sakurai's more off the wall picks. I mean, there's STILL people that complain about the Ice Climbers and Game and Watch. If they were in the base game, that would be understandable but they wouldn't be. People whined about Corrin, a literal dragon knight, can you imagine a character from a salon simulator mostly aimed at teenage girls?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Of course they wouldn't add him only for promoting the SNES Classic, but it would promote it regardless, since people who don't know him would want to find out who he is and where he originated from, so they would buy the SNES Classic and Super Mario RPG, which would benefit Nintendo greatly
And hey, perhaps it could work for the other way around. There is no question there is a possible audience for Geno now, as the SNES Classic did so well and included SMRPG.

D

Deleted member

And hey, perhaps it could work for the other way around. There is no question there is a possible audience for Geno now, as the SNES Classic did so well and included SMRPG.
Exactly. There could be a sequel or remake of Super Mario RPG announced alongside Geno, so Nintendo could promote that as well

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Of course but, again, they'd have to be paid DLC. No matter how creative they are, people always throw a fit with Sakurai's more off the wall picks. I mean, there's STILL people that complain about the Ice Climbers and Game and Watch. If they were in the base game, that would be understandable but they wouldn't be. People whined about Corrin, a literal dragon knight, can you imagine a character from a salon simulator mostly aimed at teenage girls?
That's reason to be annoyed, yes. On the other hand, we'd finally get another DS character. Sure, it's not the EBA/Ouendan or Cooking Mama, but it's a start.

Besides, it wouldn't hurt to ask the big guys if there's an extra DLC wave after this one, to calm people a bit. Unless Sakurai goes SURPRISE after the fifth character's unveiled, but what are the chances of that happening.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Honestly, I would not even be remotely opposed to the pass being:

-Geno
-Linkle
-Style Savvy
-Monster Hunter
-Banjo
-with Ninten being thrown in sometime next year as a “free bonus Echo” since his absence is seriously super-weird.

That’d honestly be pretty great. Though, part of me is certainly still a bit worried that Steve and a Namco rep might happen instead.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Okay maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe someone already pointed this out, but...is Style Savvy music really that big a deal? Music is all I've seen mentioned.

I mean...we've had Style Savvy music in Smash before...?

https://youtu.be/x0buV95bn88

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

-Geno
-Linkle
-Style Savvy
-Monster Hunter
-Banjo
-with Ninten being thrown in sometime next year as a “free bonus Echo” since his absence is seriously super-weird.

That’d honestly be pretty great. Though, part of me is certainly still a bit worried that Steve and a Namco rep might happen instead.
Replace Linkle with Bandanna Dee; And I'm set.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

-Geno
-Linkle
-Style Savvy
-Monster Hunter
-Banjo

Why is Linkle being thrown around suddenly? I don't think she's that important to be weird if there's no spirit of her, or is that it? There's just no spirit of her?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe someone already pointed this out, but...is Style Savvy music really that big a deal? Music is all I've seen mentioned.

I mean...we've had Style Savvy music in Smash before...?

https://youtu.be/x0buV95bn88
There is a spirit. That's all I've seen so far.

-Geno
-Linkle
-Style Savvy
-Monster Hunter
-Banjo

Heihachi is out, since odds are Ishizuka only had time to do Incineroar.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

-Geno
-Linkle
-Style Savvy
-Monster Hunter
-Banjo

Same. I do wonder how the general Zelda fanbase would react to the new Zelda character being Linkle though. I see her and the Link's as completely separate from each other, but on the surface it would look like we would be getting a 4th Link.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Same. I do wonder how the general Zelda fanbase would react to the new Zelda character being Linkle though. I see her and the Link's as completely separate from each other, but on the surface it would look like we would be getting a 4th Link.
I think it'd be the Non-Zelda fans that'd be angry about it. Zelda fans would be upset because it's not their favorite Zelda character (aka its not skull kid/whoever else). Non-Zelda fans would think it's a 4th Link and get upset, the same way people get mad about FE reps.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About the following, possibly:

"At least it's not another clone/semi-clone/Echo."
"Link bias!"
"Welp, the dream is dead, non-triad/Impa is impossible to ask for."
"Does this mean asking for Ryu Hayabusa is possible now?"

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Replace Linkle with Bandanna Dee; And I'm set.
Bandana Dee’s a Spirit. I know that Spirits aren’t confirmed to deconfirm, but the lack of Geno, Ninten, and Linkle is starting to look more and more suspicious.

Why is Linkle being thrown around suddenly? I don't think she's that important to be weird if there's no spirit of her, or is that it? There's just no spirit of her?
It’s not solely that there’s no spirit of her, it’s that there’s literally no Hyrule Warriors content currently in the game at all even though Team Ninja’s on board(as seen by some Other M stuff), and that there’s no spirit of her.

Edit: Also, hype for her was at its highest right when the DLC roster was supposedly being chosen, and she’s still pretty relevant to this day, since just this year we had Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and a PSO2 crossover with her in a BOTW design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom