• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At least it looks like the wait is coming to an end, there's that much at least
Apparently Zhuge and some others were expecting a big Microsoft indie game today on Switch or something so I feel slightly better that I wasn't the only person who was left holding the bag on a big indie thing we figured would happen today because, hey, Indie World where they show Indie games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Apparently Zhuge and some others were expecting a big Microsoft indie game today on Switch or something so I feel slightly better that I wasn't the only person who was left holding the bag on a big indie thing we figured would happen today because, hey, Indie World where they show Indie games.
Isn´t Raji published by Microsoft though? Because I swear I saw that game last year

D

Deleted member

Cadence of Hyrule got shown off first in an indie direct. You know, the one that was based on one of Nintendo's more popular IPs?
Cadence of Hyrule is an expansion to Crypt of the Necrodancer, so while it's based on one of Nintendo's most revered IPs, it's still an indie game. The **** that fatman's been having dangled in front of him for all this time is Nintendo's IPs, not some expansion to a rhythm game, their actual IPs. Some mindblowing reveal like Mach Rider or F-Zero or even ****ing Ice Climber would dominate the Twitter trends and completely invalidate the stuff we saw today.

And honestly? Do you remember anything else from the Cadence of Hyrule stream?

Didn't think so.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A Microsoft indie game? Apart from Cuphead, I'm not aware of any major MS exclusive titles that fans are clamoring for on the Switch

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of figured that at least one of them would be shown off today because if we take things at their word, this upcoming Direct is already stuffed to the gills to the point that stuff is starting to spill out as you all have noticed in the past week. It's arguably too much for one presentation and that's what's killing me because I figured Nintendo would probably announce this stuff throughout 2020, NOT CRAM MOST OF IT IN ONE PRESENTATION.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I kind of figured that at least one of them would be shown off today because if we take things at their word, this upcoming Direct is already stuffed to the gills to the point that stuff is starting to spill out as you all have noticed in the past week. It's arguably too much for one presentation and that's what's killing me because I figured Nintendo would probably announce this stuff throughout 2020, NOT CRAM MOST OF IT IN ONE PRESENTATION.
It would have to be one hell of a direct for audiences though to make up for the obscenely long drought. The information starving tactics have really backfired on Nintendo hard this year, and keeping all these things a secret has done them no favors with people online

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Maybe just a slight difference in info? I had always heard it was releasing on Zelda’s 35th. I mean I guess if Nintendo planned to extend Zelda’s 35th into late 2020 it could make sense.
I don't really see that since this was clearly going to be Mario's year and Zelda was going to be 2021 like they've done for the last two anniversaries.

Griselda

Smash Lord
While BoTW's sequel is still a vaguely-related topic - I want Geno's outfit in the game, with a special ability that lets you fire guardian beams. Maybe that's out of place, but I also felt there should've been a Mario hat that increases jump height in BoTW, so.. yeah.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Who's saying they are? Again, all we know is "Some kind of news dump happening soon." Who's to say they don't decide just to focus on the rest of the year and early 2021, it's obvious games have been delayed. This isn't E3 anymore, probably just a normal direct, hell it might just be another mini like March. I mean, what do we even still think is out this year that hasn't been announced? The Mario Collection and 3D World, and with the latter I'd argue they would have pushed that back as well? I don't think we should be going in with sky-high expectations regardless of how long its been.

Last edited:

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
While BoTW's sequel is still a vaguely-related topic - I want Geno's outfit in the game, with a special ability that lets you fire guardian beams. Maybe that's out of place, but I also felt there should've been a Mario hat that increases jump height in BoTW, so.. yeah.
That would be really crazy lol

StarLight42

Smash Lord

I played by myself yesterday. It's not very fun, it's like qwop controls. Shoddy by design. I can see how with friends it would be fun.
Anyways, how many of you guys bought the pass. I only bought min min this time.
Same, I only bought Min Min, and her playstyle is honestly kinda eh, idk if I would’ve bought her had I known the moveset wasn’t going to vibe with me that well. Honestly though, i’m just trying to avoid having the Pass 2 Byleth on my roster (yes, I do believe there will be one, and it’s not Min Min) Plus I can just stop buying characters once my roster is a perfect square and not have to deal with the ugly imperfect CSS Smash Bros usually ends on :(
A Microsoft indie game? Apart from Cuphead, I'm not aware of any major MS exclusive titles that fans are clamoring for on the Switch
Probably Ori? Just a guess on my part. If they want an Ori costume to appear in the Master Chief pack it would be a good idea to get that on switch. Maybe it already is? Idk I don’t keep up with this stuff.

Shovelware, shovelware, and more shovelware. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Hopefully the general direct happens soon.
Indie games often follow the same tropes that just rarely ever interest me. 2D Sprite style, 2D platforming gameplay, 2D top down gameplay. It’s almost like if you wern’t a fan of the SNES then these constantly repeated trends won’t interest you.

and yeah, admittedly, i’m not the biggest fan of the SNES. I’d say it’s one of the most overrated systems. As someone who practically grew up on N64 with stuff like Mario 64 and Majora’s Mask, it’s difficult for me to find the appeal in stuff like Mario World or a Link to the Past, when they just feel so archiac and boring to me nowadays. I said this on the Star Road server a few weeks back and I got dogpiled (likely because i’m on a server filled with fans who worship a 1996 SNES title).

But don’t worry, I still really do like Super Mario RPG, in fact, i’d go as far as to say it’s still by far a structurally better game than all three of Paper Mario’s latest games. (Yes, I said all three, suck it Origami King fans). dont take that last part too seriously

To prove it, here’s an independently developed game that actually looks pretty interesting.

It’s inspired by SMRPG and so far the gameplay looks pretty fun. The graphics and isometric style are really well done too. It looks like it’s all 3D models and none of that done-to-death SNES style pixel art. Only complaint so far is that the protagonists look very uninspired (here’s a knight, here’s a mage, etc)

This game only has 70 or so hours to reach it’s backing fund, but it will probably reach it as there’s only 100 or so dollars left.

Also, before anyone chastises me for this semi-rant, remember that it is my own opinion and not indicative of what the Geno thread thinks as a whole. It’s almost like we are all completely independent people capable of thinking our own ways and not the mindless “Fatman worshippers” that GameFAQS thinks we are.

just getting that out there before someone screenshots this post and says “nurrhurr look at how petty all de geno fanz are!!!1 haahahahaa!!!1”

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who's saying they are? Again, all we know is "Some kind of news dump happening soon." Who's to say they don't decide just to focus on the rest of the year and early 2021, it's obvious games have been delayed. This isn't E3 anymore, probably just a normal direct, hell it might just be another mini like March. I mean, what do we even still think is out this year that hasn't been announced? The Mario Collection and 3D World, and with the latter I'd argue they would have pushed that back as well? I don't think we should be going in with sky-high expectations regardless of how long its been.
Because like Serenade said, this is stuff that could dominate Twitter for days, even weeks, if true. E3 seems like the right time for a lot of it. Golden Sun? DK? Wario Land? F-Zero? That's just the stuff that's public and heavily implied, nevermind third party and of course Smash.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
You may be on to something, actually. Recall that you can hold down the throw button to make the Mster Sword shoot sword beams when you're at full health. Perhaps a Geno outfit could make it so the Master Sword's sword beams become guardian lasers?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Because like Serenade said, this is stuff that could dominate Twitter for days, even weeks, if true. E3 seems like the right time for a lot of it. Golden Sun? DK? Wario Land? F-Zero? That's just the stuff that's public and heavily implied, nevermind third party and of course Smash.
Where are Wario Land and F-Zero even coming from? You've never mentioned the former seriously and the only thing F-Zero really had going was the fake twitter account. There was that Wario Land VB remake for 3DS that got leaked alongside Warioware Gold and Link's Awakening back in early 2018 but who knows where that went, especially since Skip seems to have shut down and they were the ones said to be developing it.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Geno’s outfit would fit better in a Mario Odyssey sequel than the BoTW sequel.

View attachment 282635
in fact, here’s a costume mod of the first game, by the wonderfully talented Sean Hicks!

(Although tbh, i’d prefer the outfit to be just Mario wearing Geno’s hat and cape, instead of this strange-looking full body replacement like shown here)
It looks a little off, true, but I think that might just be because Mario's face and head don't seem to be scaled to each other quite right. It'd look much less uncanny if it simply took Mario's base head model and replaced his skin texture - and it'd fit in with some of the other outfits already in Odyssey, like the skeleton suit which also looks just a little off.

Also if Mario was just wearing the cape and hat, his, um.. stuff would be showing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Where are Wario Land and F-Zero even coming from? You've never mentioned the former seriously and the only thing F-Zero really had going was the fake twitter account. There was that Wario Land VB remake for 3DS that got leaked alongside Warioware Gold and Link's Awakening back in early 2018 but who knows where that went, especially since Skip seems to have shut down and they were the ones said to be developing it.
Wario has been around in some capacity since probably February 2019. Verge heard both Wario Ware and Land at one point. In September, it got confirmed that a bunch of 3DS projects got nuked and then it gradually started to come out which ones those were. By November, Wario Land, Fire Emblem 6/7, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, among others were ones that began circulating. Since then, Mystery Dungeon has come true and there's a lot implying Fire Emblem 6/7 Remaster is eventually happening. From around this time, Paper Mario eventually came true and 2D Metroid has since gotten a ton of backing.

F-Zero is a mixed bag. Probably around November 2019 it came out that there would be a big racing game coming out in 2020 but nobody could really put their finger on what it was. Some people like Verge and Sabi flat out said it was Mario Kart 9. Others have said something similar to Mario Kart. Others still have just implied a racing game. Either way, there's a big mystery racing game in the void that may or may not be F-Zero in the end.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
Geno’s outfit would fit better in a Mario Odyssey sequel than the BoTW sequel.

View attachment 282635
in fact, here’s a costume mod of the first game, by the wonderfully talented Sean Hicks!

(Although tbh, i’d prefer the outfit to be just Mario wearing Geno’s hat and cape, instead of this strange-looking full body replacement like shown here)
I wonder if Sean Hicks will make one
with JUST Geno’s hat and cape?

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this is true but I've been hearing since LAST OCTOBER that Nintendo was going to make an honest push to have BotW2 be 2020 and I even openly talked about this as far back as last December but, oh no, Fatman lied again, just like how I apparently lied last December that Prime 4's development was super rocky and so chaotic that it would probably miss E3 2020.

22 months of this garbage and now things are coming true or being publicly verified one after the other so let's just say I'm a little hot under the collar right now.
I never doubted you dude

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering if we do get a general direct It's not till September, and next week would be a mini. If there's really a ton of content coming that still hasn't been announced it may be best to split it up even more. Modern Nintendo has a habit of playing their cards close to their chest after all. And they like to give their releases breathing room. I could totally see them holding off a lot of stuff so that only the immediately near future releases get attention

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the possible General DIrect, we still got the rest of this week and next week to find out. So, just walk at a calm pace while waiting for the news to arrive

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never doubted you dude
Oh no, I'm not going after you. I'm just venting that I've been doing this for almost two years and literally this month is when a lot of the stuff I've heard in that timespan is being confirmed back to back to back. Because up until recently, I'd point things out that came to fruition and then it always be "oh, that doesn't count" or "oh, that's just a coincidence" and none of the really big meaningful stuff has come to fruition yet. It doesn't help that mods and even admins that I've known for over a decade have called me a liar and I've gotten some oh so lovely PMs from some of them where "they're worried about me" and not so subtly imply I have some sort of serious psychosis like schizophrenia. That **** sucks and I want it to end. Things like Geno have already reached a fever pitch so it's just a matter of when but the waiting is murder.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Cadence of Hyrule is an expansion to Crypt of the Necrodancer, so while it's based on one of Nintendo's most revered IPs, it's still an indie game.
I wouldn't call it an expansion, moreso a new game using characters and such from both IPs, but that's fair.

And honestly? Do you remember anything else from the Cadence of Hyrule stream?

Didn't think so.
Actually, yeah. Pretty sure that's where Cuphead got announced for one, along with Nuclear Throne, My Friend Pedro, Katana Zero, Blaster Master Zero 2, and some others.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm wondering if we do get a general direct It's not till September, and next week would be a mini. If there's really a ton of content coming that still hasn't been announced it may be best to split it up even more. Modern Nintendo has a habit of playing their cards close to their chest after all. And they like to give their releases breathing room. I could totally see them holding off a lot of stuff so that only the immediately near future releases get attention
Eh, I doubt it personally. I do think we are going to end up getting a full direct next Friday now. A ton of the insiders that were hinting at the "indie" stop, are saying it'll be a full blown one too.

Even last month they seemed like they weren't super confident about it being a general direct (NateDrake/Kelios/Zell were saying wait and see until the announcement as minis are never announced beforehand, and locked into a general mindset after the announcement time came out amongst insiders). However, this time they're all saying that it's probably a general from the get go and implying that a mini may be out of the picture (obviously, nothing is confirmed till it is though.)

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice potential Geno and Waluigi reveal as you predicted?

[edited to remove thumbnail cuz of a swear word]
I don't really think Naz is hinting at a character, and it's a reach to take it like that. Fan rules are all stupid and they should just go, and they best thing Sakurai could do is just throw them all out the window at once. That said, again, it just seems like a tweet looking forward to next week (because a Smash character WILL be shown off), rather than a explicit hint. Though if it is a hint, I think it benefits Waluigi a lot more than Geno.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oh no, I'm not going after you. I'm just venting that I've been doing this for almost two years and literally this month is when a lot of the stuff I've heard in that timespan is being confirmed back to back to back. Because up until recently, I'd point things out that came to fruition and then it always be "oh, that doesn't count" or "oh, that's just a coincidence" and none of the really big meaningful stuff has come to fruition yet. It doesn't help that mods and even admins that I've known for over a decade have called me a liar and I've gotten some oh so lovely PMs from some of them where "they're worried about me" and not so subtly imply I have some sort of serious psychosis like schizophrenia. That **** sucks and I want it to end. Things like Geno have already reached a fever pitch so it's just a matter of when but the waiting is murder.
Maybe the following is unnecessary, but while you aren’t crazy and sick, perhaps you could use time to calm down, relax, get things off your mind, not stress yourself out, ya know what I mean?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Well, if you really think about, there's only two big fan rules left standing that Sakurai hasn't knocked over with this game yet:

-assist trophy promotions
-Mii costume promotions outside the base roster

Let's just say of my predictions, there's only three in particular that this applies to and two are characters I think could be bonuses.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Not to sound rude or to **** on your wants, since I don't usually post here, but this doesn't seem to be hinting at any one character in particular, just that we could get someone unexpected. I guess it could be Geno, but it could also be someone like Isaac (No ATs!), Bandana Dee (Protagonists only!), Sakura (Has to be popular worldwide!), Reimu (Ditto, also no indies!), etc. It would be easier to list characters who this wouldn't apply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom